You are not logged in.

INVERTED PRO NECK: Real Or Real Fake

#51 2012-10-18 8:25pm

nikbsnjk
Pro MemberKing of Magazines!
Signed up: 2008-09-19
Bikes: 35

Re: INVERTED PRO NECK: Real Or Real Fake

The triangle symbol could have 2 explanations.  the bolt is a Close Tolerance bolt. or its a specific manufacturer mark. the 3 lines typically means grade 5
of all the pro necks or tuf necks that ive ever owned ive never had one with the triangle

My statements of opinion are made in good faith, and believed that they are true.  Adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement and any involvement of Fair comment on matters of public interest. Never done with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth, as in  cases to show that there is a well-founded public interest in the specific information and in the interest of the public.

#52 2012-10-18 8:28pm

bensalembmx1983
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-03-12
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 2

I just checked all my Survivor Pro Necks & Tuf necks ....  None of them have a triangle on the bolt ..

"The price of Meat has just gone up  ' An Yer ol' Lady has just gone down "
Look here brother,
Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

#53 2012-10-18 8:29pm

duckman
Pro MemberDuck Commander
Signed up: 2009-11-22
Bikes: 1
Website

nikbsnjk wrote:

The triangle symbol could have 2 explanations.  the bolt is a Close Tolerance bolt. or its a specific manufacturer mark. the 3 lines typically means grade 5
of all the pro necks or tuf necks that ive ever owned ive never had one with the triangle

Triangle is grade 8 .

Show me on the doll where they touched you . It’s Shake and Bake and I helped!

#54 2012-10-18 8:31pm

TWENTYFOUR7EVEN
Pro Membermarvingarden
Signed up: 2010-06-27
For Sale: 2
Website

If thats a real inverted pro neck, then i am the pope.

Want to buy:

Schwinn maximizer tire red orphan 20x2.125

Items for sale: https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/search?user=45248

NO TRADES

#55 2012-10-18 8:37pm

Motohead372
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2011-03-21

Nick.. bust that stem out of the bag, and post some pic’s?
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x384/Motohead372/Capture_zpse564841c.png

#56 2012-10-18 8:42pm

JAMMJ
Banned
Signed up: 2009-05-18
Bikes: 13

Fake, the sand marks is "popping out" not normal.  I seen some up and down and diagonally, sometimes side to side as well.  Not just one line up and down.

#57 2012-10-18 8:56pm

nikbsnjk

duckman wrote:

nikbsnjk wrote:

Triangle is grade 8 .

wrong- the triangle you speak of is different then the triangle present on the bolts.

My statements of opinion are made in good faith, and believed that they are true.  Adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement and any involvement of Fair comment on matters of public interest. Never done with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth, as in  cases to show that there is a well-founded public interest in the specific information and in the interest of the public.

#58 2012-10-18 8:59pm

duckman
Pro MemberDuck Commander
Website

Oh well carry on .

#59 2012-10-18 8:59pm

nikbsnjk

Motohead372 wrote:

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x38 … 64841c.png

Sorry David wont do that. By the way that stem is for sale on here as well. Ill try to snap some pics in the light tomorrow morning. If its not storming again.

#60 2012-10-18 9:00pm

vettefan
Pro Member
Signed up: 2006-08-13
For Sale: 9

nikbsnjk wrote:

duckman wrote:

nikbsnjk wrote:

Triangle is grade 8 .

wrong- the triangle you speak of is different then the triangle present on the bolts.

Nick is correct, three radial lines equate to Grade 5, six radial lines equate to grade 8. From what my limited research just found on google, is that the triangle stamp indicates a canadian made fastener/bolt. Please check and or do your own research to confirm or deny this, but I read it, cant confirm it.

"Is corn holing when you shove a corn on the cobb up someones anus or vagina?"... quote from Godzilla !!

#61 2012-10-18 9:04pm

nikbsnjk

Craig, my research has stated that its just not having a triangle. As the triangle stamps that were the manufacture mark were also located in the center of the bolt and were smaller. But this info is also modern info. This cannot be used to id a 30year old bolt as they were not required to mark the bolts back then. JDB has alot of info on this

#62 2012-10-18 9:08pm

Motohead372
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2011-03-21

nikbsnjk wrote:

Motohead372 wrote:

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x38 … 64841c.png

Sorry David wont do that. By the way that stem is for sale on here as well. Ill try to snap some pics in the light tomorrow morning. If its not storming again.

Thanks for the PM Nick! wink

#63 2012-10-18 9:26pm

duckman
Pro MemberDuck Commander
Website

Grade 5 from Canada . Goggle it lots of info on it .

#64 2012-10-18 9:46pm

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Signed up: 2011-01-07
Bikes: 19
Website

i googled:

http://hotrodhotline.com/md/assets/images/Torquing-MD-10.jpg

Fastener Materials
In addition to the differences in diameter, thread pitch and length, standard and metric fasteners come in different grades.  Standard bolts used in automotive applications come in grades from 0 thru 8.  They are usually identified by slashes radiating out from the center on the head of the bolt.  Grades 0 thru 2 have no slashes on the head, grade 5 has three slashes and grade 8 has six slashes.  Standard nuts have slashes or dots placed around the outside to denote grade.

Bolts on the left are both grade 5 indicated by the three slashes on the head.  The next two are grade 8, one indicated by six slashes on the head, the other by an 8 on the head.  The 8 should not be confused with a metric grade that would be marked with an 8.8 grade indicator.  Bolt on the right has letters on the head but is just a 0 thru grade 4 bolt because it has no slashes on the head.

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#65 2012-10-18 9:48pm

duckman
Pro MemberDuck Commander
Website

Nice John first one is bolt on the stem . smile

#66 2012-10-18 11:40pm

bailhard
Pro MemberBanned
Signed up: 2011-01-31

If it's fake, I want it.

I celebrate CHRISTMAS, I do not celebrate "The Holidays"

Also, Terry Fox is one of the greatest humans of all time. He just happens to be Canadian :-)

#67 2012-10-19 5:45am

nikbsnjk

duckman wrote:

Have we all forgotten about MR. REPOP up in canada. 98210sucks. The guy with his own machine shop that was busted for making/selling his own Bullseye hubs. Either Pro neck sourced out some of there work to a canadian company, or the maker of the fake stems was from canada
  Of all 4 pages of sold pro neck stems in the beta section. All but 10 did not have the triangle. 2 in question did have another makers mark. KS. 1 had an  N. The other I couldnt quite read. And 7 had the triangle. And those 7 I believe came from the fake batch.
Of the 6 pages of tuf neck that sold in the beta section. only 1 had the triangle. While 6 had several other makers marks. N  HHW   S   KS   JH

How about we all post what stampings we have on out stem bolts.
Please state .

tuf neck or pro neck
nos or survivor
In og bag or out.
Then the stampings.
Was it scored directly from LBS.
And if youve got the balls. Did you buy it from sunnysgirl(now californiabmxwarehouse) , merbear, 98210sucks, or the guy here that sold like 5 or so right after the above guys stopped selling them
Keep it simple. Just the facts

Last edited by nikbsnjk (2012-10-19 6:16am)

#68 2012-10-19 6:58am

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Signed up: 2008-01-27
Bikes: 4

I strongly suspect this stem is fake BUT not because of the stem bolt.  The 3 or 6 slash marks are common that show a grade 5 or grade 8 bolt.  The additional mark is the mark of the manufacturer of the fastener-also not a tell as they may have gotten stem bolts from different vendors as time went on.

HOWEVER, if you take a look at the allen bolts you will see small stampings on top them-whether they are letters, numbers, or marks that is an indication that those fasteners are NEWER from today.  It is very difficult to get allen bolts with blank tops any more.  I go to an old hardware store that bought out fasteners just to get these type of allen head bolts.  These are NOT available today as I have been told.

I have a NOS Pro Neck from a good friend that pulled it out of a bike shop.  comparing it to the pic I have a strong feeling it is a fake.  I can't be 100% sure as I don't have that stem in my hand BUT the PRO NECK doesn't look right. wink  There is few more "tells" but I will keep that to myself for now until I can prove it.

Now the allen bolts being the wrong kind doesn't 100% prove anything but considering the other hardware is pristine there would be no reason to swap out the old allen bolts for new ones.  Definitely suspect to me based on just this point.

Also the MAJOR issue is that all faces of the stem have the same look-That's all I will say.  wink   I will say that I am 95% sure it's a fake.

Last edited by JS-44SDS (2012-10-19 7:18am)

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

Tamir Rice was killed by his parents utter stipidity.

Guy passes away, Free parts equals a Corvette

#69 2012-10-19 7:12am

JAMMJ
Banned
Signed up: 2009-05-18
Bikes: 13

Motohead372 wrote:

Nice pics King

Print/ font looks the same to me. Hard to see on the Blue stem in ?.. but on the Silver and the Gold Pro-Neck- the print look’s to have more depth and shadow… or maybe that’s me?
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x38 … e0dc1f.png

okay see that gold one,  it looks like the o was double striked or stamped.  you can see the double lines in it.   Thats one tell.

#70 2012-10-19 7:20am

JS-44SDS

For you to really tell if the Blue stems "Pro Neck" stamp is real you truly need to have it in your hand with a known NOS stem next to it.   I would love to have that blue stem in my hands to compare it my NOS Black std. Pro stem.

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

#71 2012-10-19 7:25am

JS-44SDS

nikbsnjk wrote:

duckman wrote:

Have we all forgotten about MR. REPOP up in canada. 98210sucks. The guy with his own machine shop that was busted for making/selling his own Bullseye hubs. Either Pro neck sourced out some of there work to a canadian company, or the maker of the fake stems was from canada
  Of all 4 pages of sold pro neck stems in the beta section. All but 10 did not have the triangle. 2 in question did have another makers mark. KS. 1 had an  N. The other I couldnt quite read. And 7 had the triangle. And those 7 I believe came from the fake batch.
Of the 6 pages of tuf neck that sold in the beta section. only 1 had the triangle. While 6 had several other makers marks. N  HHW   S   KS   JH

How about we all post what stampings we have on out stem bolts.
Please state .

tuf neck or pro neck
nos or survivor
In og bag or out.
Then the stampings.
Was it scored directly from LBS.
And if youve got the balls. Did you buy it from sunnysgirl(now californiabmxwarehouse) , merbear, 98210sucks, or the guy here that sold like 5 or so right after the above guys stopped selling them
Keep it simple. Just the facts

KS is what my known NOS stem has Nick and I have 30 year old bolts holding a set of my Profile cranks with the KS on them.  Fastener Mfrs. may not have been required BITD to stamp their product but many did.  That is why you see allens with the stamp today and you never did BITD because it was such a small area to address.

#72 2012-10-19 7:45am

Coco
Signed up: 2011-03-03

I'll snap some photos of my freshly unwrapped and mounted NOS Pro Neck later and post them up. My stem cap allens have no markings on them but I can't recall about the quill bolts since I'm not near the bike it is mounted on. I'll report back later with some photos.

#73 2012-10-19 8:16am

No100Sy
Pro MemberTRAXXAS IS #1
Signed up: 2008-10-13
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 4

sad

When buying from me, I submit feedback once I receive feedback from you. That way, I know you are happy with your purchase.

No100Sy = Number ~100~ Sy (clone)

#74 2012-10-19 8:27am

JS-44SDS

This stem is on ebay right now.  Do you notice something about the "PRO NECK" letters vs. the blue stem in question?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PRO-NECK-OLD-SCHOOL-BMX-NECK-STEM-GOLD-TUF-NECK-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$T2eC16NHJF0E9nmFQiegBQgKIVz8Bw~~60_3.JPG

#75 2012-10-19 8:36am

Joe Buffardi
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2010-08-08
Bikes: 2

The "O" on the blue suspect pro-neck looks off. And also if you look real close at the round corners of the top cap it looks like there is a tab bit more material, almost as if the cap may be slightly larger or the holes were drilled a little closer to the inside. Breakout the dial calipers and measure it, bolt centering, edge thickness, etc. and see if it matches and original.

It's not a party without Buffardi!!!

Board footer