You are not logged in.

INVERTED PRO NECK: Real Or Real Fake  RSS Feed

#26 2012-10-18 3:09pm

Coco

Re: INVERTED PRO NECK: Real Or Real Fake

BmxRider420 wrote:

Coco wrote:

BmxRider420 wrote:

Doesnt work like that. There is a lip on the top where quill bottoms out to tighten in place and the cut out for the bars is on the top roll .... So if you fliped it over so the bar cutout is on the bottom the quill would not go in due to lip. If you filed out lip then quill would pull right through.

I mentioned this already too but I'm sure someone else will post the same thing, that they think it is a regular stem just flipped, which is impossible.

I know you did i just tried to give a touch more detail. Although someone could of machined a new bottom plate that wouldnt be to hard. Exspecally if you had the stamped cap.  I thought some of the pro neck inverteds I seen had a stamp an the base and the clamp also?

I figured you read what I typed.

I also thought a new piece could be machined then anodized but damn, all that effort just to scam someone does not seem logical for just one stem, unless the whole thing is being faked, then I'm sure multiples of the stems were done which could make it financially plausible.

I'm feeling optimistic and I'll say it is a real one.

Last edited by Coco (2012-10-18 3:09pm)

#27 2012-10-18 3:30pm

erdalicious
Pro MemberPsycho Silence
Bikes: 37

Check sellers feedback i posted earlier on topic, he has sold a red inverted to

Maybe he got a few more to sell?
No cardboard incl at the red one and still in NOS condition....

WTB: * NOS Oakley F1 grips black/yellow * KKT FMX/LMX Pedals * Skyway Tuff Graphite pedals/cages * NOS Oakley 2 red right side only * NOS Oakley 1 red left side only * NOS chrome KKT FMX left side pedal 9/16

#28 2012-10-18 3:48pm

bmxcurator
Expert
Bikes: 11

Yeah, it looks as though it was JUST taken out of the package....or just made. Where is the packaging or machine that just created it?

#29 2012-10-18 3:56pm

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Bikes: 19
Website

Not all NOS stuff got knocked around or left in the sun.
Just because it looks brand new doesn't mean it's fake.
If it is it's a damn shame... but whatever, I'm optimistic. tongue

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#30 2012-10-18 4:13pm

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

Thus is the shame of repops.... the fact we even need a thread like this.....

I love dead people....

#31 2012-10-18 4:15pm

BmxRider420
BmxRider420
Bikes: 3

I am the owl... wrote:

Thus is the shame of repops.... the fact we even need a thread like this.....

+1

I'm not on here as much lately. If I miss your PM or are responding to a WTB please text me at 716-545-5499. I won't usully answer unknown numbers with out a text first.

#32 2012-10-18 4:48pm

nikbsnjk
Pro MemberKing of Magazines!
Bikes: 35
For Sale: 28

I have a black inverted pro neck that I just recently pulled out of an old bike shop stash. The one thing that looks off to me are the markings on the bolt. Yours has the triangular shape as do all the fakes that sunnysgirl then merbear then poolboy or poorboy was selling out of CA.. Those guys were unloading 10-15 a week for 3 months- non-stop on ebay, then here. Mine which is still sealed in its original bag only has 3 slashes on the top nut and are longer or come closer towards the center. The other thing is the machining marks on the body. Typically the marks on fake ones will only go in a smooth line in 1 direction. On real ones you will see hints of the actual machine marks going perpendicular to the final sanding marks

Last edited by nikbsnjk (2012-10-18 7:09pm)

My statements of opinion are made in good faith, and believed that they are true.  Adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement and any involvement of Fair comment on matters of public interest. Never done with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth, as in  cases to show that there is a well-founded public interest in the specific information and in the interest of the public.

#33 2012-10-18 5:09pm

vettefan
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

nikbsnjk wrote:

I have a black inverted pro neck that I just recently pulled out of an old bike shop stash. The one thing that looks off to me are the markings on the bolt. Yours has the triangular shape as do all the fakes that sunnysgirl and poolboy or poorboy was selling out of CA.. Those guys were unloading 10-15 a week for 3 months- non-stop on ebay, then here. Mine which is still sealed in its original bag only has 3 slashes on the top nut and are longer or come closer towards the center. The other thing is the machining marks on the body. Typically the marks on fake ones will only go in a smooth line in 1 direction. On real ones you will see hints of the actual machine marks going perpendicular to the final sanding marks

X10000, also the cap bolts appear to be stamped with the makers mark initials, check them out up close and see what they say. Nick ^^^ can inspect his also, I believe the originals have UNSTAMPED or UNMARKED cap bolts if I recall.

I also would say the outline/edge of the pro neck lettering appears very sharp or pronounced.

Last edited by vettefan (2012-10-18 5:11pm)

"Is corn holing when you shove a corn on the cobb up someones anus or vagina?"... quote from Godzilla !!

#34 2012-10-18 5:15pm

nikbsnjk

Yes Craig, my cap bolts are unstamped. Somewhere here is a thread detailing the dateline of when where and why the modern bolts are now required to have a manufacturing stamp. I want to say this wasnt required until 1999 or early 2k. I forget

My statements of opinion are made in good faith, and believed that they are true.  Adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement and any involvement of Fair comment on matters of public interest. Never done with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth, as in  cases to show that there is a well-founded public interest in the specific information and in the interest of the public.

#35 2012-10-18 5:19pm

getset
Museum Addict
Bikes: 5

I agree with nikbsnjk on this one.  The makers marks on the cap bolts and long bolt would indicate to me this is probably a recently manufactured stem.   

Did anyone see the silver inverted pro neck that was on ebay last week?  It had the pro neck stamp on the top and the bottom cap and the pro neck stamp on the top was in a different font than the one on the bottom?  I was going to start a thread about it, but didn't save the listing and kind of forgot about it.

#36 2012-10-18 5:30pm

Kid718
Bill Effin' Murray
Website

nikbsnjk wrote:

I have a black inverted pro neck that I just recently pulled out of an old bike shop stash. The one thing that looks off to me are the markings on the bolt. Yours has the triangular shape as do all the fakes that sunnysgirl and poolboy or poorboy was selling out of CA.. Those guys were unloading 10-15 a week for 3 months- non-stop on ebay, then here. Mine which is still sealed in its original bag only has 3 slashes on the top nut and are longer or come closer towards the center. The other thing is the machining marks on the body. Typically the marks on fake ones will only go in a smooth line in 1 direction. On real ones you will see hints of the actual machine marks going perpendicular to the final sanding marks

Interesting.  There's a "NOS" one in beta with that little triangle mark.

Open to fair offers on anything I have for sale.

#37 2012-10-18 5:30pm

nikbsnjk

#38 2012-10-18 5:32pm

nikbsnjk

Kid718 wrote:

nikbsnjk wrote:

Interesting.  There's a "NOS" one in beta with that little triangle mark.

and it has the stamped cap bolts

#39 2012-10-18 6:03pm

Oh Gee
Pro MemberSINGLE SERVING FRIEND
Bikes: 59

Robert fletcher has a bunch of NOS stems, maybe he'll chime in. I say it's a fake. I hate repops!

WTB: 175mm, driveside pinchless Redline 401 arm

#40 2012-10-18 6:50pm

Iceman
Pro MemberGrammar Patrol
Bikes: 2

I'll be back later with pics.

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round......

#41 2012-10-18 6:50pm

Motohead372
Museum Addict

nikbsnjk wrote:

Yo... Total speculation.. don’t included a name if you don’t know it- Call me if you would like Nick. mad

Last edited by Motohead372 (2012-10-18 10:44pm)

#42 2012-10-18 7:08pm

king stinger
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 9

Real nice fake,looks like it was just made,the C in the Pro Neck stamp looks like an O like PRO NEOK

#43 2012-10-18 7:19pm

Two-speed
Centurion Member

I'm almost 100% certain these are repops. To me, there are several things that stand out.

1: The stamp. It's too perfect. The originals were hand-struck, and had they all had small variances. These are all machine stamped.
2: Hardware. The originals had unstamped hardware. These supposed NOS ones have the makers mark triangle on the quill bolt, and even the hex bolts have a makers mark on their ridge. Not so on the old ones. Just try and find a truly used, old Pro Neck with this type hardware on it. You won't.
3: They all look 'too new'. They have that freshly machined, anodized look of new components. Even if a stem stayed in the original plastic FOR 30 YEARS, it's gonna have shelf wear and slight oxidation on the hardware.

Examples:

FAKE:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-School-NOS- … 1c2c381c34

REAL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-NECK-OLD-SC … 53ef5f5654

REAL:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/62044#.UIC2XFGz5Zg

Almost certainly FAKE:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/69641#.UIC37FGz5Zg

REAL:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/50311#.UIC3EVGz5Zg

REPOP:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/29573#.UIC3YFGz5Zg

See how much this one ^^^ looks like the fakes? Only difference is the stamp.

#44 2012-10-18 7:36pm

Motohead372
Museum Addict

The top of the wedge bolt/ pattern… I have seen both before, some with 3 marks that go all the way across and some with 3 smaller hash marks, you don’t think that they had a different supplier… maybe at onetime along the way? Don’t think that because the top of the wedge bolt looks different, that it’s a fake. I sold a Black Pro-Neck 6 maybe 7 years ago from my 1983 DB and it had the 3 mark with a triangle on it… was it a fake- I hope not as I bought that stem around 89.
So many different opinions
Two-Speed.. I would agree on the Allen head bolts/ hardware… if it has letters stamped in it- its no good… they never did that BITD. King stinger- The C has always looked almost closed.
Maybe Joeboxer8 can supply a better pic of the top bolt- his looks legit, but it might have a triangle on it?

#45 2012-10-18 7:40pm

king stinger
Pro Member

Here is an original one i sold a few months ago,og hardware was repainted,it is not inverted but should have the same stamp as the inverted,the C looks different to me as do most the letters.

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae125/kingstinger/DSCN0895.jpg

and one more i sold,not og bolt.
http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae125/kingstinger/DSCN1009.jpg

Last edited by king stinger (2012-10-18 7:45pm)

#46 2012-10-18 7:53pm

Motohead372
Museum Addict

Nice pics King

Print/ font looks the same to me. Hard to see on the Blue stem in ?.. but on the Silver and the Gold Pro-Neck- the print look’s to have more depth and shadow… or maybe that’s me?
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x384/Motohead372/Capture_zpsa1e0dc1f.png

#47 2012-10-18 7:57pm

TXBONE
Pro MemberTWENTYFOUR7EVEN
Bikes: 27

I could only find this TUF neck in my archives.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/SEA_ELECTRIC/Thruster%20Vanishing%20Point/IMG_1423.jpg

Last edited by TXBONE (2012-10-18 7:57pm)

I can not sit still. I have been tested for A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. and have neither. I don't need coffee, I just need a B.M.X. or surfboard to consistently ride and I'll be happy. smile
INSTAGRAM: @sean_colburn          CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS. SEARCH: 27TXBONE

[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/SEA_ELECTRIC/Internet%20bs%20images/815a8d608e0c528b08240357ddbcb522_zpsdedf4245.jpg[/img]

#48 2012-10-18 7:58pm

Two-speed
Centurion Member

Motohead - Yes there were many variations of the original bolt; some smooth, some with the 3 hash marks, and some with 3 hash + a makers mark. But I haven't seen any real ones with that pronounced triangle mark. Maybe there were? The ones I've seen look like king stinger's just above.

Really it's just another indicator. Clean anodizing? Check. Stamped hex bolts? Check. Clearly defined letters? Check. It's most likely a fake. If it has the triangle bolt, that's just another cue.

#49 2012-10-18 8:01pm

ol phart
Pro Member

I say fake.

Wanna sell it ? cheap of course. big_smile

#50 2012-10-18 8:04pm

king stinger
Pro Member

The C on the inverted is round only and does not have the straight edge on the top right corner,and i agree it looks machined on the inverted stem we are discussing.

Board footer

View Cart →