You are not logged in.

2014 Eastern Grim Reaper 8

#1 2014-04-01 12:58pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 1

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/image_copy1736.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/86254debabf848568b87dc52bb29e0bc_zpslyod30ll.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/a06655be48404248b74ba3e37c794379_zpskdvvoxhy.jpg

My first new school build/rider

This is my first attempt at a new school build/rider. I decided on the Reaper mainly for the unique frame design and laser cut-outs in the head tube and seat tube. Weighs only 23.7 lbs! Can't wait to ride it! Thanks for looking!

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#2 2014-04-01 6:48pm

80zfreak
Pro Member

Re: 2014 Eastern Grim Reaper 8

I'm 39 and haven't really been all that interested in new school bikes, but this is one cool bike.  How bout a parts list?

#3 2014-04-01 7:36pm

smokeyrust
Pro Member
Bikes: 72
For Sale: 4

Dito 80zfreak, I'm old school but want to build a new school. I like this build

#4 2014-04-02 4:51am

justlive

Thanks guys I appreciate it! It was tough for me to finally pull the trigger and change with the times lol. I decided that if I was finally going to make the move then I needed to find a new school bike that was unique in appearance. I mean, that's why most of us love old school freestyle bikes anyway right? Because each one was unique wink So I went with the Reaper because how many bikes do u see with laser cut outs in the frame?! It just looked cool to me. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet but so far it feels really comfortable sitting on it. Not cramped like I was afraid. Sorry for the winded post tongue Here's a quick rundown of parts...
Frame- 2014 Eastern Grim Reaper 8
Fork- NOS Eastern w/990 mounts (I had them plated)
Wheels- Odyssey Quadrant
Tires- Odyssey Frequency G
Pegs- Odyssey M-Peg
Bars- Sunday
Grips- Eastern Skull
Levers- Dia-Compe Tech 77
Brakes- Tektro
Detangler- Snafu
Headset- Odyssey
Stem- Eastern
Cranks- Sunday 175mm.
Sprocket- Sunday 25T (Went with 25/9 gearing)
Pedals- Odyssey Twisted
Chain- KMC Z
Seat- Super Cross pivotal
Post- Shadow Conspiracy

-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River

#5 2014-04-02 7:48am

kootenaydrew
Museum Newbie

Parts list was a good request 80zfreak... I've been looking for a pivotal seatpost long enough to put a seat where my ass could reach it smile

#6 2014-04-02 1:14pm

justlive

Lol. I got the post on Dans Comp of you're still looking. I think porkchop has long posts too?

#7 2014-04-03 12:17pm

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Bikes: 3
Website

Pivotal is ok.  I end up using combo seatposts on mine (post w/ guts built in).  You can get them in fairly long lengths too.  Plus cost isn't bad, since they're quite common for other types of bikes.

Needs a red upper gyro cable.  wink  And have you considered dual lowers?

Last edited by IPD (2014-04-03 12:19pm)

It's like the man says, there's no problems...only solutions.

#8 2014-04-04 8:10am

justlive

IPD wrote:

Pivotal is ok.  I end up using combo seatposts on mine (post w/ guts built in).  You can get them in fairly long lengths too.  Plus cost isn't bad, since they're quite common for other types of bikes.

Needs a red upper gyro cable.  wink  And have you considered dual lowers?

I actually got frustrated with the brakes tongue Still not proficient with dialing in 990's. I miss side pulls lol.

#9 2014-04-04 9:03am

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Website

990's are way mo better when you use dual lowers.  and as long as you use a 3rd hand tool, they're fairly easy to dial in.  some people may even use 4th hand tools, but i've never really needed one.

#10 2014-04-04 9:09am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

I absolutely hate Eastern and DansComp , but you're stoked on it and that's all that matters . cool

" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#11 2014-04-04 9:22am

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Website

Unfortunately, Dans is the only place that sells certain stuff, like the Mechanik STI.  Believe me, I looked.  As to Eastern hate, each to his own.  I love my AoS.

Justlive, if you need help dialing the brakes in, just hit me up on PM and i'll try and explain it to you as best as I can.  Alternatively, there's some good threads on here you can probably use.  The thing that's great about dual cables (instead of a y) is that you get more leverage out of your brakes.  We're talking V-brake stopping power, close to disc brake stopping power.

#12 2014-04-04 9:31am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

I feel bad , justlive is a good , Cleveland dude . Whenever I see " Eastern " I cringe . And DansComp...well some brands seem to be carried only through a few distributors , so that's not anyone's fault . But that place can eat my ass . lol

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#13 2014-04-04 10:01am

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Website

Some people have had issues with Eastern in the past.  I get that.  I think most of the hate is residual from he-said, she-said tales that are still floating around from years ago.  And most of it was from V2 or V3 Reapers or some such, not AoS or newer Reapers.  And I've never heard bad things about Guerra for what it's worth.

As to the distributors thing, don't get me started.  I ended up shipping Simple brand parts to my German address & ended up shipping KIS brand parts to a relative stateside---all because of how difficult it is to get (Read: virtually no USA dealers).  Then I ended up shipping it back across the pond to FF to get laced/built, and then back to myself.

Needless to say, I'm the proud owner of one very expensive--albeit awesome looking--set of rims for my new build.

#14 2014-04-04 10:02am

justlive

Burning River wrote:

I feel bad , justlive is a good , Cleveland dude . Whenever I see " Eastern " I cringe . And DansComp...well some brands seem to be carried only through a few distributors , so that's not anyone's fault . But that place can eat my ass . lol

Lmao! I'll make sure when we go riding I have the Reaper along with my free Dans Comp shirt I got with my order tongue To be honest, since I've finally made the switch to ns I'm just now seeing all the other options for ordering stuff. Didn't know of all these other sites before.

#15 2014-04-04 10:06am

justlive

IPD wrote:

Unfortunately, Dans is the only place that sells certain stuff, like the Mechanik STI.  Believe me, I looked.  As to Eastern hate, each to his own.  I love my AoS.

Justlive, if you need help dialing the brakes in, just hit me up on PM and i'll try and explain it to you as best as I can.  Alternatively, there's some good threads on here you can probably use.  The thing that's great about dual cables (instead of a y) is that you get more leverage out of your brakes.  We're talking V-brake stopping power, close to disc brake stopping power.

Lol u must've seen the Reaper in the "for trade" section tongue These rear brakes are driving me crazy!!! I got the front dialed in good enough but still can't get the rear calipers working right. But I've since calmed down and deleted the post smile Now I need to take it off craigslist lol. Watch for my pm wink

#16 2014-04-04 10:07am

IPD
2 smart for his own good
Website

justlive wrote:

Burning River wrote:

Lmao! I'll make sure when we go riding I have the Reaper along with my free Dans Comp shirt I got with my order tongue To be honest, since I've finally made the switch to ns I'm just now seeing all the other options for ordering stuff. Didn't know of all these other sites before.

Flatland Fuel and JR are my choice places for USA sales.  I've also bought from BMX Guru on Ebay a few times.  I do a fair bit of shopping overseas too, however.  I have to say, my recent experience with Evan's Cycles has been top notch.  Great customer service.  Evan's is the first place I shop for Xposure, one of my favorite brands.

#17 2014-04-04 10:31am

justlive

Cool I'll have to check them out! I've been on flatland fuel, ordered my snafu detangler there. But didn't know about the others

#18 2014-04-04 11:02am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

Don't forget http://www.cheapgoodsbmx.com , owned by Rider Gabe Weed . cool

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#19 2014-04-04 11:05am

justlive

Finally got these damn brakes to work right! Thanks IPD big_smile

#20 2014-04-04 11:05am

justlive

Burning River wrote:

Don't forget http://www.cheapgoodsbmx.com , owned by Rider Gabe Weed . cool

Thanks man!

#21 2014-04-04 12:36pm

JLFast
Intermediate

Awesome!  I too have jumped ship for the NS world, and ride with a skyscraper seat post.  Thanks to my poor aching back.  smile

enjoi

#22 2014-04-04 1:10pm

FUBAR
Centurion Member
Bikes: 8

there are some pretty sweet new school rides out there I got my BSD last week and I am loving it big_smile

Board footer