You are not logged in.

making the tough choice  RSS Feed

#1 2014-03-09 12:49pm

66alfa_gtv
Expert
Bikes: 9

making the tough choice

As I get ominously close to turning 50, the thought of owning so much stuff becomes a huge question for me to tackle.
Over the past 13 years, I have been assembling and collecting BMX bikes from my childhood and racing days. I don't have a huge quantity (14 bikes), but I have made quality a priority. Each one of those bikes represents something for me - a favorite moment at the bike shop, some metaphysical moment where I recall what attracted me to BMX in the 70s, or simply pulling out the tools and building a bike.

Now, I have come to a crossroads.

I want new experiences, and I want to simplify my life in order to concentrate on what I hope is the next 30 or so years.

We want to design and build modern architecture to live in.
We want to travel a little more.
Stuff like that.

So, in the next year, I have some decisions to make with my part of BMX history.
I am going to pare down my collection to three bikes. That won't be easy.
Every one of them was built from some kind of vision, and I love every one of them. They were all a massive pain in the ass to finish, as the parts I seem to gravitate towards are pretty tough to find.
And, I ask myself, after a massive sigh - will I be able to part with (insert any of the 14 bikes here)?
We don't have kids to pass this stuff along to, and if I were to die today, I do not want my wife to have to deal with my collectibles. For one, it would suck to have to root through all that stuff. More importantly, I would want her to get the right amount of money from the collection.

This year, I took the first step with the simplify thing and sold 90 percent of my vintage Matchbox car collection. That was over 300 toys, all in mint condition.
At first, I was struggling to part with any of them. With the ebay auctions moving along, it got easier.
Now, it's time to think about parting with most of my bikes.

Stuff is cool...I love cool stuff. But, it also can be a ball and chain. I am moving a little further away from stuff, and closer to experiences. It seems like such an obvious no-brainer, but believe me - it aint.
Anyhoo, just wanted to get this out of my system. Writing this and sharing with all my BMX pals is a catharsis that I hope y'all don't mind.

Last edited by 66alfa_gtv (2014-03-09 1:41pm)

All my bikes are for sale except the Cheetahs. Inquire within.

#2 2014-03-09 12:53pm

FOSELONE
Pro Member

Re: making the tough choice

Dibs

#3 2014-03-09 12:57pm

Erikv
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 4

I totally understand how you feel.
You just have to remember.
We really never OWN anything, we just take care of it till the next person aquires it.
That helps me part with stuff I cherish.
Good luck on your next venture.

#4 2014-03-09 1:03pm

DIPSOMANIAC
AdminALCOHOL YA LATER!
Bikes: 6

You have some incredible bikes and i am sure it will be tough to part with them but everyone has to do what their heart tells them is best. Architecture and travel sound like a nice transition in life but i am sure you will keep a few bikes as a reminder to you of all your hard work and time spent on them.

Best of luck to you and good luck with your choices.......

I'm letting the liquor do most of the thinking.....

***If you sell here take a minute to update your buyer!***
***If you buy here have some patience, this isn't Amazon, it's a hobby to most.***

#5 2014-03-09 1:15pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

Nothing wrong with downsizing one thing to make room for another . Hell man , go for it and I wish you well . I think I came to a point collecting any and everything skateboarding related , that I only could truly ride 4-5 of them on a regular basis . After selling 80% of everything I owned to help pay some medical bills , I have 4 full completes I can ride anytime , anyplace . I see some rad stuff and just dismiss buying it to " have " it and move along to other things that interest me .

I had 8 firearms a few years ago and I'm down to 5 , possibly 4 if I sell this Single-Action Ruger Blackhawk .357 that I've never fired . I decided I needed again something for each situation and have a 1911 .45ACP , AR-15 , Remington 870 and my Grandfather's Winchester Model 70 30.06 and have no plans to buy any other firearms because all of those suit my purposes perfectly .

I have just recently gotten into bikes and have more parts than complete bikes which is 4 , including my son's . I'm going to build my first Park/ Dirt setup because a heavy-ass Hi-Ten GT isn't much fun to slug around at Ray's for the past 2 years . I have a Schwinn Stingray 3-Speed project and if I can make a decent Klunker 26" then I'll be set .

cool

" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#6 2014-03-09 5:21pm

66alfa_gtv
Expert

We really never OWN anything, we just take care of it till the next person acquires it.

This is what has driven my decisions when building and collecting. I want the history preserved. I hope the people who end up with my stuff feel the same way.

#7 2014-03-09 5:24pm

bird
R.I.P

2nd dibs...big_smile

44T CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
WANTED::::anything reynolds racing
WANTED::::bandito jersey
WANTED::::yellow panaracer tire 1 1/8
WANTED::::jmc pit bike
WANTED::::less talk,more riding

#8 2014-03-09 5:42pm

66alfa_gtv
Expert

Dibs

lol

But seriously, that time is not yet.

#9 2014-03-09 5:57pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

I promise to race the living hell out of your Alfa at Nelson's Ledges Raceway and Mid Ohio Racetrack if you give it to me...loltongue

" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#10 2014-03-09 5:59pm

Bmx Cynthia
Pro Memberthebigg36
Bikes: 1

Take a couple nice days and ride them all hard and long, then decide.

#11 2014-03-09 6:12pm

Knarly
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 3

Good luck with that, seriously !
I was thinking along the same lines at one point and started selling everything off. I was at a point in my life where I had put everything else as a priority, cars, girls, then wife, career, house, kids, mortage. When it came to sell my childhood Trick Star it was tough but I did it because I got a fair price for it, but that only got me looking at BMX bikes again and reignited the love. It was only a couple of months before Istarted buying bikes and now I had more then what I started out with. I can't say that about any of the other collectables but BMX and my buds was my life as a kid we rode together everyday for years, summer or winter. Antique stuff, VW stuff, Road and mountain bike stuff almost all gone now except for my comic books. They're next on the chopping block. I always keep a few of the very special items but the BMX's are the only thing that has back fired so far. lol Every time I see a bike that I wished I had or a friend use to have I get obsessed. Thanks to the help of a member I finally got my grail bike which had been stolen from me as a kid! Ironically enough it is the same member to whom I sold my TS smile
Anyhow all the best of luck ! it won't be easy and all the best wishes on the next stage of your life.

LOOKING FOR........   And or Trade items  very clean, mint condition
-Profile seat post decal
-Black Kuwahara Lightening bolt stem pad        -National Pro / Pro Neck handle bars, 28" wide
-Silver Kuwahara Lightening bolt stem pad        -Black set and Blue set of O wing grips

"WHEN IN DOUBT, CRANK IT !"

#12 2014-03-09 6:12pm

kevin108
Pro MemberKdog Bikes
Bikes: 11

Talking about it is the first step. New chapters in life are what keeps us in the game. Growing up my dad had a old tractor collection and when he retired and moved to Florida, he sold em all and now enjoys going to shows and appreciating the hard going into preserving those machines. Good luck.

#13 2014-03-09 6:36pm

alainmagana
Pro MemberIn Wonderland
Bikes: 3

I need to saving for that G-Boy for sure man..
Been there with my 60's GI Joe's. Had over 100 some in boxes some out. Down to about 20. Not including the play sets and crap lol
Enjoy life brother.

Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

#14 2014-03-09 6:39pm

ProThunder4
Museum Addict

I can relate. 

This may sound corny, but when I left my small town in Appalachia in my 20s to make my way in the bigger world, I sold my childhood G.I. Joe collection ('60s & '70s vintage).  I and my parents had spent year after year looking for different figures and equipment at yard sales, flea markets, second hand shops, even through newspaper ads from time to time.  Even after they stopped making the original Joes in the late 70's, my parents would always manage to come up with one to give me for Christmas, usually beat-up, sometimes missing a limb or two, but I didn't care.  I knew how much effort they put into finding those Joes all year 'round.  Some of the stuff I had was virtually irreplaceable, certainly all of it was from a sentimental perspective. 

Ironically, I didn't get much for it, as I never kept my stuff in collectible condition.  I and my buds played with them all, and I treated them as toys, not collectibles (some of the figures I had given Mohawks, tattoos, mustaches, shaved their bears or heads, etc.). 

At the time, it seemed like a huge decision, but the moment they were gone, I actually felt a lot freer (and I was, as I had some seed money in hand).  For the next several years, I moved from state to state doing this and that.  Throughout that time, I could fit almost all my belongings into my 1997 Ford Contour.  Those were good years.  I felt energetic, adventurous, confident, free.

These days, I have a family and a good job.  Yet we still live in a two-bedroom apartment, and I still drive a little Ford sedan.  I've remained reluctant to get too attached to stuff or a place or even a job (although I'm keeping the family).  Lately, I've been getting sick of the rat race, and yearning to get back out there and see more of the country, to try something completely different.

Anyway, this is all to say that what you wrote makes perfect sense to me.  I think if you follow through on traveling and broadening your experiences, you'll never regret getting rid of "stuff."  Stuff comes and goes, but if you collect friends and memories, they'll be with you throughout your life.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; / For he to-day that sheds his blood with me / Shall be my brother ... / gentlemen ... now-a-bed / Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here / And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks / That fought with us

#15 2014-03-09 6:49pm

Thetrooper
Pro Member
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 6

Hmmm... tough spot most collectors can relate to. How do we let go of something that is deep rooted in our past. Takes a lot of thought and energy to gather and put these together. To me, its not a money issue, but a memory issue. I can get rid of the stuff I picked up for the heck of it but not the ones I have a connection to. Some of my friends say they're "just bikes", but there's a little more to it than that. My biggest fear would be to see one in pieces on eBay a week after I sold it. I wish you luck in your choices and that your stuff finds good homes smile

Looking for a 24" GT fork 87-89

Win TWINS!!!

#16 2014-03-09 6:54pm

getmoney
Pro Member

Take some or have some well done pics taken of your bikes to display proudly in your newly built home,
Those pictures will surely keep the memories flooding back every time you see them.
Maybe black and white...have them printed on canvas.
All the best! smile

Trying is the first step to failure

Skin on skin or it doesn't go in

Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see

#17 2014-03-09 7:02pm

GAry
Owner/CuratorYes, I started this site!
Bikes: 430
Website

Hmm, I am right here in town too..no need to ship em!

Good idea to get some good pics while you can..
this guy does great work, knows bikes, and is local..

http://www.jaredsouney.com/

I want them all, the quad the most!

[img]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg/v1/fill/w_926,h_30,al_c,lg_1,q_80/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site Rules   Guide For New Members  Become a Pro Member  For Sale Section Rules  How to post picts
Yes, I started this website myself, way back in 1999, thanks for sharing my passion about BMX!!

#18 2014-03-09 7:24pm

leghound79
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

Put me down for the, Quad, JMC, and Robinson!cool

Last edited by leghound79 (2014-03-09 7:25pm)

"I've got a smile on my face, and you didn't put it there!"

#19 2014-03-09 7:27pm

66alfa_gtv
Expert

follow through on traveling

My wife and I have been world travelers since a very young age. We went to India last spring with our backpacks. There is a certain freedom of being able to leave the house for an extended time, not worrying about the valuables. This is part of the freedom I am looking forward to. Memories, hopefully, will be with me until the end. That's the stuff I'll never part with.

#20 2014-03-09 7:30pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
Bikes: 5
For Sale: 4

I sold a big pile of early s&m frames, completes and a  bunch of nice parts a few years ago, pretty liberating! Keep a few of your favs, whether their for riding or displaying, or both.

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2019!
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw inTRIKat!!!

#21 2014-03-09 7:35pm

66alfa_gtv
Expert

Put me down for the, Quad, JMC, and Robinson!

You'll have to wait until next year. If I add anymore fun tickets to the paypal account, the tax man will hassle me.

#22 2014-03-09 8:34pm

nikkyp
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

66alfa_gtv wrote:

follow through on traveling

My wife and I have been world travelers since a very young age. We went to India last spring with our backpacks. There is a certain freedom of being able to leave the house for an extended time, not worrying about the valuables. This is part of the freedom I am looking forward to. Memories, hopefully, will be with me until the end. That's the stuff I'll never part with.

That's a great collection of bikes you have there, but what impresses me more is your attitude toward life. Things can be replaced, living life and making great memories is priceless. Good for you mate smile

Needs:
Nothing right now..

#23 2014-03-09 9:29pm

farmboy
Pro Memberzen aspirationalist
Bikes: 15

Hmm, so many of us in the same boat, aren't we?

The bicycles are one thing, but I've had the same thoughts as you about my 9 motorcycles, and what my wife would do if something happened to me.

Moreover, we've had a house full of junkie drug dealers next door for the last 7 months, and we don't feel safe in our own home. Dealing with the situation has really opened my eyes to what a pervasive problem this is in the Chicago suburbs, and how hard it is for the authorities to do something about it. It's really disheartening. At this point, simply walking away from our house, which we've lived in for over 18 years, and which we have a lot of equity in, is not off the table. I want to sell it, but morally, for me, this is not an option. I cannot and will not pass on my problem to someone else, and legally, I'm not sure I could if I would.  Money and possessions are one thing, but happiness and safety easily take precedence.

Then again, there are whole swaths of neighborhoods in Chicago where bullets fly every day, and it's just a fact of life for the people who live there. Sometimes, I weep for our children - not ours, we don't have any, but I worry about our society as a whole.

Even if and when we get out of here, one thing I know intimately is that ultimate control is just an illusion. Even if we make the right choices for success and survival, fate holds what it holds in store - the distracted driver, the abnormal cell waiting to turn cancerous, the errant asteroid that will end us all. I'm not even a pessimist, I just acknowledge the reality of possibilities.

All the stuff we choose to have is just a panacea for those harsh realities. It's hard to give it up, but lately, at 45, what my wife and I have  been thinking is that true happiness for us might be chucking it all and living in a van, literally or metaphorically, just traveling and experiencing the world, and enjoying every day as it comes. I can't really think of anything freer or better at this point.

Self Appointed Assistant Associate Treasurer of the 44t Fan Booster Club, Western Division.

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. On and on, 'til the break of dawn.

#24 2014-03-09 10:10pm

66alfa_gtv
Expert

Farmboy, if I could give you a virtual thumbs up on that reply, I would.

#25 2014-03-09 10:29pm

farmboy
Pro Memberzen aspirationalist
Bikes: 15

66alfa_gtv wrote:

Farmboy, if I could give you a virtual thumbs up on that reply, I would.

I think you just did. Small wonder we all come together here.

Self Appointed Assistant Associate Treasurer of the 44t Fan Booster Club, Western Division.

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. On and on, 'til the break of dawn.

Board footer

View Cart →