You are not logged in.

What was your bike shop bitd??  RSS Feed

#1 2014-02-13 8:13pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10

What was your bike shop bitd??

What/Where was the bike shop u frequented the most as a kid bitd?? Any cool memories?? There were quite a few shops to choose from in the cleveland area bitd. But the one closest to me that I practically lived at was a place in Euclid, Oh., J&J Bikes. They originally sold trains around the 50's in Cleveland then eventually moved to Euclid and started selling bikes as well. By the time the 80' came around trains mostly became a hobby for the older crowd so they were limited to a smaller section in the store. It was always cool though walking in and seeing those old trains set up and running through little model towns. The owner was a great guy. Always had multiples of everything and in every color! A lot of times we would buy something and he'd let us use his tools to put stuff on in the back of the shop. I still remember when I'd stop in his shop in the evenings on my way home from my friends house, just to see if there was anything new or to see what I was going to bug my parents for next lol. And the old guy would always be watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. Great memories!

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#2 2014-02-13 8:18pm

flock53
Pro Member

Re: What was your bike shop bitd??

Don Gill's
Roosevelt Rd bike shop
Ski and Sports (still in biz)

Dragon Energy

#3 2014-02-13 8:18pm

justlive

I know some of the Cleveland area members will remember Schneiders in Cleveland. Another great place where the owner was a great guy. He was still open until several yrs back when he was robbed and beaten. Sad day.

-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River

#4 2014-02-13 8:26pm

tentoesover
Pro MemberMr. Looseball
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 1

Until I was about 10 (1979) I lived in Santa Rosa, and then moved out to the country. I got a BMX Plus! subscription a few years after that, and found that one of the advertisers, Nighthawk BMX was in the town I had just left, so I wrote them for a catalog. When the catalog came a month later (snail mail days sucked!) there was a note in from one of my old neighbors that he was working there, that must have been '84 or so. I ordered some stuff and when it came in we drove over to pick it up, and Nighthawk was the bmx mail order department of a bike shop called Pedal Pusher. A TINY little shop. As BMX grew, the shop did as well, and they eventually moved into a giant space, with TONS of inventory, but the glory days passed, and the shop is no more. The owner of that shop still owns a shop, but doesn't support BMX, just geared bikes and beach cruisers, like every other shop around here.

The last Ocelot

Spammer kills: 54!

Owl, Heyslugger and Severed are on my "Deal with first" list. You guys are rad.

#5 2014-02-13 8:28pm

Never2old2ride
Expert
Bikes: 5

Albes. Since day one.

"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."

#6 2014-02-13 8:29pm

its-all-good
Pro MemberDon't Cheers Me Bro
For Sale: 180
Website

The Bike Gallery!

#7 2014-02-13 8:31pm

justlive

tentoesover wrote:

Until I was about 10 (1979) I lived in Santa Rosa, and then moved out to the country. I got a BMX Plus! subscription a few years after that, and found that one of the advertisers, Nighthawk BMX was in the town I had just left, so I wrote them for a catalog. When the catalog came a month later (snail mail days sucked!) there was a note in from one of my old neighbors that he was working there, that must have been '84 or so. I ordered some stuff and when it came in we drove over to pick it up, and Nighthawk was the bmx mail order department of a bike shop called Pedal Pusher. A TINY little shop. As BMX grew, the shop did as well, and they eventually moved into a giant space, with TONS of inventory, but the glory days passed, and the shop is no more. The owner of that shop still owns a shop, but doesn't support BMX, just geared bikes and beach cruisers, like every other shop around here.

I remember those Nighthawk ads lol. Fun looking through those old mags!

#8 2014-02-13 8:37pm

justlive

There was another shop near me in Mentor Oh called Bortz's. I got my first Haro there. What was cool about that place is that it was attached to another business and was in the basement. If u didn't see the sign outside you'd never know there was a bike shop there. I remember stopping in the first time with really no expectations. Then when I walked down the stairs my jaw hit the floor! Nothing but wall-to-wall Haro's and Redlines! I'm sure he had other bikes but I was just in awe of those because I loved the RL-20II and the Master and here they were right in front of me in every color!

#9 2014-02-13 8:42pm

crash test dumby
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 24

Al Petri & Sons in Lincoln Park Michigan.  Been a Schwinn dealer since 1948, still open, still my favorite shop.  The people are great, especially the young guys who do the wrenching and handle the BMX stuff.  Just wish they'd get up with the times and consider a little online presence.  Maybe they could increase their volume and get the prices down a tad.  The shops main focus is the muscle bike and low rider types, but they do have a pretty nice BMX selection and knowledgeable employees.

#10 2014-02-13 8:43pm

Glenny
Pro Member
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 24

Mississauga High Park Cycle.
Mississauga Ontario. 
I worked there from 83 to 91, then opened my own shop with their help.
It was BMX heaven.

Looking for:
-Torker Pad Set - Yellow or Blue.
-82-84 Jag BMX Nylon Pad set.

#11 2014-02-13 8:44pm

billyhandyjunior
Every day is a gift!
Bikes: 14

Byron Lake Schwinn, Long Island, NY
5 Star (Holbrook and Port Jefferson)

Last edited by billyhandyjunior (2014-02-13 8:45pm)

"Change your thoughts and you change your world." - Norman Vincent Peale

#12 2014-02-13 8:48pm

justlive

Glenny wrote:

Mississauga High Park Cycle.
Mississauga Ontario. 
I worked there from 83 to 91, then opened my own shop with their help.
It was BMX heaven.

I always wanted to own my own bike shop. A place that had all the latest and popular stuff but was also a place where kids could hang out and have fun. Maybe even have a ramp or area out back where they could ride. I would imagine it would be pretty hard to make ends meet with a shop nowadays though.

#13 2014-02-13 8:53pm

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archaeologist
For Sale: 2

Sports World & Glen's Cycle and Ski in Red Deer, Alberta during the glory days of the sport cool

Last edited by Axel10 (2014-02-13 8:54pm)

Chances are that your unknown chrome frame is NOT a Kuwahara

#14 2014-02-13 9:16pm

G.
Pro Member
Bikes: 51
For Sale: 5
Website

I used to go to a number of Shops further away from my house since neither of the Shops there stocked much BMX stuff.

Bicycle World on Rt 9 in Howell NJ was the dream shop of my youth though. I remember the first time I walked in there in early 82 ....it was like opening the pages of a magazine,  Patterson's, Mongoose's, Hutch's,GT's, Diamond Back, Race Inc, SE, you name it, completes and a dozens of frames hanging up.
CJ BMX track was and is still located behind it and the Shop is now SC Action Sports and owned by Scotty Cranmer and family

Last edited by G. (2014-02-14 3:29pm)

LOOKING FOR :
Mid to Late 90's Race stuff  20 & 24"
Standard Bykes Race parts & f/f
Profile Racing chain tensioners in DK Gold (mid school ones)

RAW DEAL TEES

#15 2014-02-13 9:43pm

renotrailsguy
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Early 80's was Wellers Schwinn in Pottsville PA.  The guy hated kids.  My friends and I still talk about him and laugh about how angry he was.

Mid 80's was The Bike Den in Kutztown PA.  Guy named Dennis ran it and was as cool as an adult could possibly be while maintaining a positive role model type persona.  And he knew the deal, great guy, great shop.

Early 90's was Action Wheels in Bethlehem PA.  Legendary shop...to this day.

Late 90's was Spinning Wheels in Orwigsburg PA.  Owned and operated by yours truly.  1994-1999.   

2000 to 2010 was Bicycle Banana's in Reno NV.  They had about ten times the BMX selection of the average shop.  Closed Reno location in 2013.

Present, well since I found this site I'll never buy another new bike part again.  Maybe a tube or something.

I'll trade whatever I'm selling for:
UGP, FOX, PLAY or BASE

#16 2014-02-13 9:48pm

GooseGuy96
Intermediate
Bikes: 1

Peddlers bike shop in Missouri is where I got my start, its still there and looks pretty good still! Jack was a great man.

#17 2014-02-13 9:51pm

phishfarm73
DIRTY HIPPIE

Curfmans Schwinn, Marion Indiana
Dale's bike's, Ft Myers Florida

BMX Patriots!

#18 2014-02-13 9:52pm

Scraplord
Pro MemberTaste My Metal
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 58
Website

Wheel Sport bikes in Spokane WA.

Last edited by Scraplord (2014-02-13 9:53pm)

Still searching for my missing bikes from BITD. 1979 Blue Max serial: CI9 221346 and 1977 Webco serial: 42667. Both were last seen at Spoke and Sport Bicycles in Spokane, WA around 1984. $600 reward if found!!

"Have you ever noticed that other people`s stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?" - George Carlin

WANT TO BUY 26" COOK BROS 3 BAR CRUISER!!

#19 2014-02-13 11:16pm

farmboy
Pro Memberzen aspirationalist
For Sale: 2

Grew up in the late 70's on in Joliet, Illinois. The 2 shops in town were Al's bicycle shop - Mongoose, Redline, Powerlite, Race inc. ??  - and Sunbaum's Schwinn. Sunbaum's is still there, I think their main brand now is Trek, which The Ski and Bike Chalet ushered to the area.

I loved 'em both. Sunbaum's was closer, but Al's had all the good stuff. I bought my Goose there, and my love for Powerlites was hatched there for sure. I don't remember what all other brands he carried, I only had eyes for the Powerlites he had on display there. They were always just built to the max, always the most eye-catching bikes in the store. cool

Self Appointed Assistant Associate Treasurer of the 44t Fan Booster Club, Western Division.

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. On and on, 'til the break of dawn.

#20 2014-02-13 11:50pm

bwheels
Intermediate
Bikes: 54
Website

Peddlepower in Orange, CA and Coast Wheels in Anaheim, CA
Partial sponsorship from Coast Wheels which was 1/2 mile as the crow fly's from my house.

I handle sales and marketing at True Torch. We have almost 40 years experience fabricating BMX bikes. We do custom builds and repairs but our overhead is not paid via BMX.
Personally, I'm a total Peddlepower and early Powerlite junkie. Always looking for '83 and older
Check out my Peddlepower 26" tribute frame set.
Looking for:
Peddlepower and Powerlite parts. I need 24" & 26" Powerlite forks.
Single red 20" Snake Belly in very good condition
OG vinyl Powerlite pads

#21 2014-02-14 12:40am

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
Website

Hank & Frank, Oakland CA.  The shop that was on E 14th.

Both my Race Inc and Redline were purchased there in the late 70s.

Last edited by Oaktown Massive (2014-02-14 8:57am)

1 9 7 7   R a c e   I n c.   R A - 7                                       1 9 7 9   R e d   L i n e   M X I I

#22 2014-02-14 1:40am

Fulthrotle73
Norcal Native

Hank & Frank Lafayette ca. cool

Ca-04 89-94

#23 2014-02-14 2:51am

justlive

bwheels wrote:

Peddlepower in Orange, CA and Coast Wheels in Anaheim, CA
Partial sponsorship from Coast Wheels which was 1/2 mile as the crow fly's from my house.

Wasn't Peddlepower one of the sponsers in the movie RAD? smile

#24 2014-02-14 2:58am

justlive

"Early 80's was Wellers Schwinn in Pottsville PA.  The guy hated kids.  My friends and I still talk about him and laugh about how angry he was."

There were a few shops around my area that had owners like that too. Isn't it crazy how they run a business that's basically geared toward kids but they can't stand them ? Lol.

#25 2014-02-14 3:10am

mroze1
Pro Member

G. wrote:

I used to go to a number of Shops further away from my house since neither of the Shops there stocked much BMX stuff.

Bicycle World on Rt 9 in Howell NJ was the dream shop of my youth though. I remember the first time I walked in there in early 92 ....it was like opening the pages of a magazine,  Patterson's, Mongoose's, Hutch's,GT's, Diamond Back, Race Inc, SE, you name it, completes and a dozens of frames hanging up.

Think you mean early 82,  that was an absolutely amazing shop, was always worth the 45 minute+ drive.  Not to mention they had an awesome track in the back.  Couldn't have asked for a more perfect shop, especially east coast shop.  It was like opening the pages of a magazine.

Board footer

View Cart →