You are not logged in.

best way to store tires for longevity  RSS Feed

#1 2012-05-19 1:15pm

King of Pipeline
Museum Addict

best way to store tires for longevity

Like lets say you have an NOS set from the 80's is there any way to keep them good, from the elements, to prevent any cracking or wear, if they are just for a show bike?smile

#2 2012-05-19 1:20pm

FREESTYLE MASTER
Pro MemberPeregrine Master
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 5
Website

Re: best way to store tires for longevity

Yes,

Buy a big plastic bin from Wal-mart

And fill it half way with uncooked rice, this will help the tires from cracking an getting hard.

Last edited by FREESTYLE MASTER (2012-05-19 1:20pm)

#3 2012-05-19 1:43pm

osog
"Nomadic Antisocial"
Bikes: 3

I herd a whisper of soaking them in Lemon Oil but I forget if this was to restore them or refresh them hmm .....or if it was bad advice all together lollol

"I didn’t invent the turtle-neck, Lana, but I was the first to recognize it’s potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtle-neck, Lana… the ‘tactle-neck!"

#4 2012-05-19 1:45pm

konagold
Intermediate

FREESTYLE MASTER wrote:

Yes,

And fill it half way with uncooked rice, this will help the tires from cracking an getting hard.

sweet tip.  I've done the rice thing before but never thought about using the method for bmx tires etc . . .
Once my iPhone got wet google said to put it in a bag of rice and so i did next day it was fine saved me from havin to buy another

any other BMX parts u know of good to keep in rice or is it just tires(rubber) etc. ?

#5 2012-05-19 1:46pm

CannoT
Pro Memberjerseydevil13
Bikes: 29
Website

osog wrote:

I herd a whisper of soaking them in Lemon Oil but I forget if this was to restore them or refresh them hmm .....or if it was bad advice all together lollol

that was full resto on tires , I keep air in them all the time , if Im not riding them , I put them on a pair of rims Im not using  and store them inside out of the elements but always keep air in them at all times wink

*** Always Imitated ... Never Duplicated***

#6 2012-05-19 1:50pm

JacksonHole22
"Closet Hutch Fan"
Bikes: 12

jerseydevil13 wrote:

osog wrote:

that was full resto on tires , I keep air in them all the time , if Im not riding them , I put them on a pair of rims Im not using  and store them inside out of the elements but always keep air in them at all times wink

x2 on a rim fully inflated indoors. they will last a very long time.

#7 2012-05-19 1:54pm

skubasteve
Pro Member
Website

I thought it was cooked rice smile

I try not to smile cause I got my teeth knocked out by a chainsaw

#8 2012-05-19 1:55pm

osog
"Nomadic Antisocial"

jerseydevil13 wrote:

osog wrote:

I need to buy more rims lollolbig_smile

"I didn’t invent the turtle-neck, Lana, but I was the first to recognize it’s potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtle-neck, Lana… the ‘tactle-neck!"

#9 2012-05-19 1:58pm

CannoT
Pro Memberjerseydevil13
Website

the lemon oil is good for white wall tires as well ,  Paul Le Mat actually told me about it when a buddy mine and Me went to a car show we both got his autograph and a sweet pick of his car from American Grafitti , then we got sh1t faced with him , this was probably 10 or so years ago , but awsome info and a great time smile

#10 2012-05-19 2:00pm

CannoT
Pro Memberjerseydevil13
Website

osog wrote:

jerseydevil13 wrote:

osog wrote:

I need to buy more rims lollolbig_smile

get some rims that your not using and just leave them I got the ones Im using unspoked with rim strips on them ,,,  that way the tube doesnt get upset by the spoke holes

#11 2012-05-19 2:04pm

osog
"Nomadic Antisocial"

Nice, thanks for the info!

#12 2012-05-19 2:07pm

CannoT
Pro Memberjerseydevil13
Website

No problems smile

#13 2012-05-19 2:19pm

FREESTYLE MASTER
Pro MemberPeregrine Master
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 5
Website

konagold wrote:

FREESTYLE MASTER wrote:

Yes,

sweet tip.  I've done the rice thing before but never thought about using the method for bmx tires etc . . .
Once my iPhone got wet google said to put it in a bag of rice and so i did next day it was fine saved me from havin to buy another

any other BMX parts u know of good to keep in rice or is it just tires(rubber) etc. ?

Actually Yes,

All my NOS tires,brake pads and NOS Spokes and freewheels I keep in large bins with uncooked rice.

Also keep an intertube in the tires with a little bit of air only so that the tire maintains it's shape

My Decal collection I keep under my bed in large low profile clear bin since the AC in the house is always on.
My Peregrine Rims I keep bagged up in large plastic bags and then into bins to prevent them from falling and getting dented.

My NOS Calipers and levers I do the same keep them wrapped in the small bubble wraps then into a clear plastic bag.

Every thing else I leave in the OG box's in till I use them for a build, and never stack anything over the OG box's

And to recondition old BMX tires that are a little stiff around the gum wall condition them with baby oil lightly to mush will damage the tire.

Lightly dapping it with baby oil once a week will bring them back to life only 30%,

And after all this hard work I set back and take a shoot of double double black smile

Last edited by FREESTYLE MASTER (2012-05-19 2:23pm)

#14 2012-05-19 2:49pm

Haro-83
Pro MemberTEXAS HILLBILLY
Bikes: 63

I kep all in my shop, I better start buy lots of uncooked rice

Build it, Ride it and Break it. That what it was made for.

#15 2012-05-19 2:59pm

konagold
Intermediate

that is sum seriously good info freestylemaster- thank u. I def am going to do this as I live in the salty-est place ever the air is dangerous just wants to kill BMX parts

#16 2012-05-19 3:18pm

King of Pipeline
Museum Addict

See, if you look closely at my Haro, under my bikes,, or make some comments if you want...big_smile  I have a set of NOS Comp St's.. I just want them to stay good.. So basically, keeping them on a rim inflated....out of the elements,, is what it is????

#17 2012-05-19 3:25pm

tacoman
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

X

#18 2012-05-19 3:28pm

Bling! Bling!
Pro Member20% cooler
Bikes: 16

If any of you guys weld, you can use the Argon gas in your welder to fill the plasic bins.
Oxygen is what destroys stuff. Removing the oxygen with a noble gas like Argon keeps stuff for much longer.
I fill my plastic bins with argon, then put the lid on them. Argon is much heavier than air so it's like pouring water. It sinks to the bottom and displaces air as you fill it up. Argon is not combustible and will not react with anything, something about it having all 8 electrons on its outer level.

Crazy but it really works. I learned this from a friend who has a multy million dollar collection of very old pictures.

You don't HAVE to build every frame and fork you own... right?

#19 2012-05-19 3:31pm

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler
Bikes: 7

Put those tires on a bike and ride em before they are worthless!!

Well if you still don't believe you best get up and leave
Do what you must do, but this ain't the place for you

Kuwahara, its the best!!

When I'm dead, i'll stop riding bikes.

#20 2012-05-19 3:33pm

CannoT
Pro Memberjerseydevil13
Website

King of Pipeline wrote:

See, if you look closely at my Haro, under my bikes,, or make some comments if you want...big_smile  I have a set of NOS Comp St's.. I just want them to stay good.. So basically, keeping them on a rim inflated....out of the elements,, is what it is????

extreme heat extreme cold , will crack and deteriate the tire and the bead, Im not sure how old my tires are but I always keep them inside out of the weather when Im not riding on them , if you are going to spend 130.00 on tires , wouldnt you want to keep them in good condition ? thats what I do wink

#21 2012-05-19 3:35pm

coasty
Pro Member
Bikes: 18

I bought some NOS tires from DaveC about 3 years ago. They are absolutely perfect. Like they were made yesterday.
He trold me they were kept flat and out of sunlight their entire life. BTW they are still kept that way now. big_smile
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/coastvl/bike%20bits/2008-09-26001.jpg

70's bmx is where it's at.

#22 2012-05-19 3:46pm

matrutledg
Pro MemberFreudian Slippin'
Bikes: 5

marked, wanna see some other ideas

#23 2012-05-19 11:35pm

King of Pipeline
Museum Addict

Yeah, I paid alot for these tires. No way i'd ride them,, you nuts? I want to keep them good. So far the best idea seems to put them on rims and keep them away for cold or heat.. Is that true?

#24 2012-05-20 6:03am

drchopper
Museum Addict
Bikes: 7

They have been fine since the 80s ? If so carry on with keeping them out of the sun .

Except on rides smile

CWDCRO Original 9 !!!!!!

#25 2012-05-20 6:14am

scarfish
Say no to AIDS

you can also use roofing tar. warm the tar in microwave for a minute, spread over entire tire, 10 minutes later rub off.

Board footer

View Cart →