You are not logged in.

Got asked the most odd question on our ride this past weekend.....  RSS Feed

#51 2014-01-30 9:02am

jsngrimm
Dyno Freak
Bikes: 3

Re: Got asked the most odd question on our ride this past weekend.....

I got called a fruit once by an ~40yr old mother while riding a baby blue '87 DB Viper yikes mad

--Current Rides--
'98 Haro Zippo
'05 DK Rage

#52 2014-01-30 9:11am

dragracer
Museum Addict
Bikes: 10

Another funny encounter,

I buy an '85 Mongoose M1 from a swap meet, ( from a member here). I'm riding the mongoose around looking at junk here and there and come across some Moto-Mag wheels laying on the ground. A guy comes out and is checking out the M1 i'm riding. He asks about the Haro-Flow Panel on the front and ask's how much? I told him I had to pay $20 extra to get it with the bike. He says $20 huh? He goes over and grabs Sheers to cut the zip ties and says I'll take it.... yikes

I'm like whoa buddy, step away from the bike!!! Than he got ticked off at me like I was the jerk lol

#53 2014-11-03 8:30am

JohnnyFNM
Expert
Bikes: 15
Website

In my experience the younger kids who really ride appreciate the hell out of seeing old school bikes and ask a lot of questions and/or just compliment it. They also respect the hell out of an old dude like me that rides the crap out of the old school bike. I've had nothing but cool experiences when riding old school with new school. I love how the most frequent comment at first is something to the effect of "Look at how big that chainwheel is!".
That being said, I took the 88 master to an indoor skatepark one night and one dude said "that thing is awesome! but I don't know if you should ride it here. It might not be able to handle it and could break". haha.

In terms of creepy questions, I've been a little nervous a couple of times when strangers roll up when I'm flatlanding alone at night and ask stuff like "how much does one of those go for", "I hear old school bikes like that are worth a lot of money these days", "I couldn't afford one of those when I was a kid but I always wanted one"........ Luckily I found another dude in the area to ride with who's way bigger and more intimidating than my 5'9" 150 lb stature. haha.

Last edited by JohnnyFNM (2014-11-03 8:34am)

#54 2014-11-03 10:52am

ty134759
Pro Member"TC Special"
Bikes: 9

Bump, I find this amusing

44T - BMX Club : Chicago

#55 2014-11-03 1:14pm

El Goodo
Expert

I get a few looks but nothing weird so far.  I was doing a little flatland out in front of my house and a guy walking his dog yelled, "Not bad for an old man!" which is suspect was as much a jab at himself since he looked to be about he same age as me.

#56 2014-11-03 2:43pm

Spang
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

Couple weeks back I was at the local BMX/skate park with my buddy Matt that I rode with BITD.  He brought his 2012 Hoffman Condor and his son had a newer Haro and couple of his friends had new school bikes as well doing some tricks.  I pulled up with my Chrome '96 Mongoose Expert Pro.  They were fascinated with an all Chrome "loop tail". They had never seen anything like that before. smile  My buddy still has his '86 Cali Freestyler too.

#57 2014-11-03 5:21pm

KuwJones
Pro Member

The other day I was cruising my neighborhood on my 85 Bravo (white with lavender mags) when I female friend that I hadn't seen in a couple years recognized me and pulled up beside me. The conversation started something like "I thought that was you! I haven't seen you in forever! Are you riding your daughter's bike??" I simply replied "No, it's mine", and we moved on. Lol

#58 2014-11-03 5:31pm

KuwJones
Pro Member

Hey JohnnyFNM, I get looks and questions often when I'm riding, and usually it turns into sometimes lengthy conversations about the old days. But a couple of times I've encountered someone a little too interested in the value of my "old school bike." On these rare occasions, I usually just explain to them that it's not worth any more than the "new school" Glock in my ankle holster, and ease up my pants leg. Usually stops the questions pretty quickly. Lol. Gotta love the South.

#59 2014-11-03 5:38pm

joey1320
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

After I first restored my old Mongoose Decade, I took it around the block when I noticed a few teenagers ridin' up on me. I stopped and they all gathered around me - the first thing one of them said was, "Man look at that seat tube, its f'ing tall". Needless to say not one of their bikes had a visual seat tube haha.  They asked a bunch of questions about the chainwheel, pegs and "extra" tubes on the frame but were more interested in knowing how Mongoose used to be the shit bitd.

I also had them follow me when I took out my Peregrine Craig LePage and were going crazy for all the chrome. Of course all their bikes were black ha. They will probably never ride an old school bike, but they sure like looking at them.
smile

Keep Calm and Ride On!

#60 2014-11-03 5:41pm

Darkseacret
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
Website

I had my 90 GT FLYING banana tribute at local park going pretty easy on it as it was my first time there . A younger kid who had been killing it came over and was very curious and asked a ton of ?'s . I let him ride and he was very surprised with how it handled , rode. As I was leaving he got his dad to come over to show him the cool old bike.

Last edited by Darkseacret (2014-11-03 5:43pm)

Blaine is a pain, and that's the truth.

#61 2014-11-03 8:23pm

esp_mini_wi
Pro MemberKing of Scores
For Sale: 61

No one has balls big enough to say anything negative to me when I ride my day glo pink bike  in my city, They know it will not be tolerated .

#62 2014-11-05 4:46am

80sFreestyleFan
Museum Addict
Bikes: 5
Website

joey1320 wrote:

After I first restored my old Mongoose Decade, I took it around the block when I noticed a few teenagers ridin' up on me. I stopped and they all gathered around me - the first thing one of them said was, "Man look at that seat tube, its f'ing tall". Needless to say not one of their bikes had a visual seat tube haha.  They asked a bunch of questions about the chainwheel, pegs and "extra" tubes on the frame but were more interested in knowing how Mongoose used to be the shit bitd.

I also had them follow me when I took out my Peregrine Craig LePage and were going crazy for all the chrome. Of course all their bikes were black ha. They will probably never ride an old school bike, but they sure like looking at them.
smile

Those (extra tubes on frame) are for standing on, right?

That chit will buff out

#63 2014-11-05 4:54am

TaylorRides
Pro MemberThey Call Me T

littledvlbmx wrote:

Haro-83 wrote:

littledvlbmx wrote:

@Haro-83 It takes a real man to rock pink. I do it occasionally and get looked at but I like to give them the state down just do they know I'm not "that" type of guy lol
@jaymestsack,bikes have brakes? I'm messing man,hell I'm a brakeless rider and even I know about brakes lol don't have any but know they exist tongue

Try ride around in small texas redneck town

Ain't it 100% legal to ride around with a gun as long as it's via able? I may be wrong but if so put a gun rack on ur bike tongue lol

Yep, I lived in Texas for many years and my Uncle who still lives there has his conceal and carry i.d.  He has it on him at all times.  The pistol and the i.d. of course.

Taylor Allen John Anstrom  .....  Finally found my baby. 1987 Roadmaster Thriller Freestyle!!  Baby blue with white tires and gum sidewalls.  The members of this site made it possible to make my dream come true.

#64 2014-11-05 4:58am

TaylorRides
Pro MemberThey Call Me T

littledvlbmx wrote:

I never had to worry about getting asked if I stole my bike as I'll be 30 this year but only being 5'2" pays off as they think I'm a kid still lollol

Same...kids face.

Taylor Allen John Anstrom  .....  Finally found my baby. 1987 Roadmaster Thriller Freestyle!!  Baby blue with white tires and gum sidewalls.  The members of this site made it possible to make my dream come true.

#65 2014-11-05 5:01am

TaylorRides
Pro MemberThey Call Me T

falloutbmx wrote:

me and my friend where riding last summer and i was on my favorite bike it was a really nice day so anyways we where riding down a side street and there three hood rats stopped us they where all on pos wall goose bikes that where trashed and they started asking about my bike and trying to get me to let them ride it and trade after 5 minutes of this they asked if i could do any tricks and i did a few then they asked what i had into my bike and i told them about the parts and that it all added up to about $1200 they kept bugging me about my bike wanting to rid it after i told them no enough times me and my friend rod off 2 minutes later i noticed them following me so i stopped and told them to bug off they they followed again so i stopped pulled out my knife and said im serous get the f*%#@ away from me and  they still followed so this time me and my friend tookoff and lost them after a little bit.  that day i feared for my bike. neutral

Yeah, probably not the best idea to tell them how much money you had in the bike.  Then they say "Can I give it a ride?"  You know they are just gonna ride off like a bat out of hell. Glad you didn't let their asses touch it!

#66 2014-11-05 5:21am

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 8

When my Amtrac was together I would get questions and compliments when I took it to the track. Before chrome started coming back I would always get hey dude nice bike, when I rode around town.

Last edited by ANTDOG (2014-11-05 5:22am)

#67 2014-11-05 8:01am

ty134759
Pro Member"TC Special"
Bikes: 9

I've only had guys in their 40s say cool bike man. Yet I've only rode my GT once lol

44T - BMX Club : Chicago

#68 2014-11-05 10:37am

JohnnyFNM
Expert
Website

TaylorRides wrote:

falloutbmx wrote:

me and my friend where riding last summer and i was on my favorite bike it was a really nice day so anyways we where riding down a side street and there three hood rats stopped us they where all on pos wall goose bikes that where trashed and they started asking about my bike and trying to get me to let them ride it and trade after 5 minutes of this they asked if i could do any tricks and i did a few then they asked what i had into my bike and i told them about the parts and that it all added up to about $1200 they kept bugging me about my bike wanting to rid it after i told them no enough times me and my friend rod off 2 minutes later i noticed them following me so i stopped and told them to bug off they they followed again so i stopped pulled out my knife and said im serous get the f*%#@ away from me and  they still followed so this time me and my friend tookoff and lost them after a little bit.  that day i feared for my bike. neutral

Yeah, probably not the best idea to tell them how much money you had in the bike.  Then they say "Can I give it a ride?"  You know they are just gonna ride off like a bat out of hell. Glad you didn't let their asses touch it!

When you're a kid and your bike gets stolen it seems like the world ended it's so upsetting, but when you're around 40 getting a bmx bike stolen by a bunch of kids will make you wish the world ended so you don't have to deal with the embarrassment of explaining to the family and friends where your bike went.
That being said, good call carrying the knife!

#69 2014-11-05 1:26pm

dragracer
Museum Addict

I took my '87 Gt Performer to the race track to ride around the pits. I was getting stopped and harassed all day. This one guy approaches me and starts telling me how he was a Freestyle Champion in the 80's and knows every single trick. He went on and on about how good he was and how he could still pull off every trick . The guy started bugging me to let him ride it and perform tricks. He even reached for the handle bars like I was going to hand the bike over to him.

Half of me was thinking it would be cool to see. The more logical half of me said I appreciate the conversation but I'm not getting off this bike. wink

#70 2014-11-05 2:49pm

lsdbmx
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

Donarelo wrote:

i took my 82 PK Ripper to a nearby dirt track and a 10 yr old asked if he could ride my "antique" bmx bike big_smile  so i gave it to him and he was pretty awesome on it till he hit a jump and got a little bit more air than he's used to and wiped out !! and hit his nuts on the "higher seat than he's used to" and fell to the ground moaning and laughing at the same time while holding his crotch with both hands lollol  and his friend rode up to him and asked him if he was ok, and he whimpered while laughing " i hit my genital organs " lollollol and then added that, that is the coolest bike ever !!!!  we all died laughing lollol and it turned out that his father is an acquaintance. once he recovered he told us that the Ripper is so much lighter and easier to ride. wink

Love this story

Black Skyway round tuf pads wanted

People I will not deal with
Timcirello,racegroup09

#71 2014-11-05 5:30pm

notapadawan
Pro Member
Bikes: 16

littledvlbmx wrote:

Haro-83 wrote:

littledvlbmx wrote:

@Haro-83 It takes a real man to rock pink. I do it occasionally and get looked at but I like to give them the state down just do they know I'm not "that" type of guy lol
@jaymestsack,bikes have brakes? I'm messing man,hell I'm a brakeless rider and even I know about brakes lol don't have any but know they exist tongue

Try ride around in small texas redneck town

Ain't it 100% legal to ride around with a gun as long as it's via able? I may be wrong but if so put a gun rack on ur bike tongue lol

Hahaha. I rode my 86 rl20 prostyler to a buddy's house with a 30/30 on my back to get it sighted in. And the first 2 miles were highway....lollol

I love building bikes just so I can go scratch them..

If you want to see better pics of anything I have for sale feel free to text me at 903-262-0782

44t Tulsa

#72 2014-11-05 9:07pm

Roodillon
Pro Member
Bikes: 6

I do not give a F*** what others think of me and my bikes.  I held a patch for many years before inner ear balance issues and dizzy spells caused a spectacular crash last year and forced me off Harleys forever. So I am used to people not bothering me. That said, I am very polite to citizens who have not done me wrong.  I'd like it if people asked me questions. My Robinson in particular is very "blingy" so I figured people would ask about it but they never do.

Last edited by Roodillon (2014-11-05 9:19pm)

I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

#73 2014-11-06 5:12am

JohnnyFNM
Expert
Website

dragracer wrote:

I took my '87 Gt Performer to the race track to ride around the pits. I was getting stopped and harassed all day. This one guy approaches me and starts telling me how he was a Freestyle Champion in the 80's and knows every single trick. He went on and on about how good he was and how he could still pull off every trick . The guy started bugging me to let him ride it and perform tricks. He even reached for the handle bars like I was going to hand the bike over to him.

Half of me was thinking it would be cool to see. The more logical half of me said I appreciate the conversation but I'm not getting off this bike. wink

Were you worried he would steal it or damage it?

#74 2014-11-06 6:41am

dragracer
Museum Addict

I was worried that his favorite trick would be how to make a bike disappear
roll

#75 2014-11-06 8:41am

TaylorRides
Pro MemberThey Call Me T

dragracer wrote:

I was worried that his favorite trick would be how to make a bike disappear
roll

True that.  Good thing you listened to your instincts!

Board footer

View Cart →