You are not logged in.

What happened to Kappa and Knight?  RSS Feed

#1 2014-01-19 10:03am

tjthemaxx
"I Would Not"

What happened to Kappa and Knight?

It seems as if Kappa and Knight had a pretty decent business making retro-inspired frames and parts. At least for a while. What happened to them? I know Knight still has a website, but it's not updated and they appear to have not sold any frames in a long time. And it looks like Kappa just disappeared completely.

Anybody know the stories? Did they get into trouble for producing items that resembled oldschool parts from other companies? Who's got the scoop?

Currently in production of some bad-ass POOR BOY reproduction item! Shirts, gyro covers and hats first! Padsets soon to come!

poorboybmx.com will have products up soon! FB: poorboybmx  IG: poorboybmx

#2 2014-01-19 11:56am

oldprobmx
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

Re: What happened to Kappa and Knight?

JDB end of story.

#3 2014-01-19 12:07pm

nbl78s
Expert
Bikes: 5

oldprobmx wrote:

JDB end of story.

What does that mean?

I dont know why Knight won't make anymore frames but I know he's been asked on numerous occasions by myself and other members here and he always declines.  he's still making the retro stems though (great stem BTW).

Needs: always looking for odyssey director s2 forks, Fly pantera V-bars, Knight Gum drops, Knight retro stems, knight retro gooses (yes, I love knight stuff!) GT 4bar pro bars with the GT logo stamped on the bottom of the down tubes (race model) thanks!

#4 2014-01-19 2:36pm

ol phart
Pro Member

Manufacturing cost.

It ain't cheap to produce homegrown. And if it's good stuff and the demand is high, it's even harder to produce on a mass scale - help ain't cheap either.

#5 2014-01-19 2:52pm

tjthemaxx
"I Would Not"

oldprobmx wrote:

JDB end of story.

Does that mean JDB took legal action against them? Is this speculation or fact?

Currently in production of some bad-ass POOR BOY reproduction item! Shirts, gyro covers and hats first! Padsets soon to come!

poorboybmx.com will have products up soon! FB: poorboybmx  IG: poorboybmx

#6 2014-01-19 2:53pm

NewMidMike
Pro Member
Bikes: 29
For Sale: 1

No, JDB had nothing to do with it. People just like to blame him for everything.

New Orleans via Steamboat Springs, CO via New Orleans

#7 2014-01-19 3:32pm

3rdgear
Pro MemberGranny Gear
Bikes: 28

Kappa was not stopped by JDB.

Always looking for MXR hubs and pre-88 Free Agent parts.

#8 2014-01-19 3:39pm

ol phart
Pro Member

Scott/Kappa were around well before JDB was in the hobby - and Scott's offerings were 1000x better in quality and about 100000x more creative, presented and served up, all of which was done without infringing on legacy or controversy.

KaPpa, I believe sadly couldn't keep up with production and the public outcry got kinda ugly - so much so I believe he lost the desire to continue

JDB was/is a joke. If there was a picture in the encyclopedia for the term hypocrite - he'd be it.

#9 2014-01-19 4:51pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

ol'phart wrote:

JDB was/is a joke. If there was a picture in the encyclopedia for the term hypocrite - he'd be it.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIuqsuql92yAt-I-805lGSdOp66n7uHrXzpisohV6JFg9Wdb0b

" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#10 2014-01-19 5:00pm

darkersomeday
Expert
Bikes: 12

3rdgear wrote:

Kappa was not stopped by JDB.

This,

I think the market for "retro" bmx bikes just became too swamped for them to still compete,
Shame really, they were making the nicest retro stuff for years,as others have said, craftsman made small batch runs made in the Murica don't come cheap,

If you want quality though......

WANTED,
T1 PROGRESSION
Spooky Brown-hornet,Spooky Underdog,Spooky Suspect-device

#11 2014-01-19 5:01pm

race_inc
Pro Member

Kappa was served a cease and desist by JDB which kind of took the wind out of Scott's sails.

#12 2014-01-19 5:16pm

darkersomeday
Expert

ol'phart wrote:

Scott/Kappa were around well before JDB was in the hobby - and Scott's offerings were 1000x better in quality and about 100000x more creative, presented and served up, all of which was done without infringing on legacy or controversy.

KaPpa, I believe sadly couldn't keep up with production and the public outcry got kinda ugly - so much so I believe he lost the desire to continue

I think JDB carries the brunt of the ill feeling towards these companies digging up and raping heritage that doesn't really belong to them except for in the patents and copyrights that they happened to acquire,

JDB isn't doing anything that Hardo and SE and Slyway aren't already doing,

If you think about it, the "old school bmx scene" has created all this itself, it was bound to happen, over hyped prices and the bandwagon jumpers desperate for a bit of old-school jizzle meant an open market for companies looking to cash in.

Real shame about KAPPA though, they were making retro frames before there was even an old school scene, some of the most heritage-faithful and high quality retro frames ever made, I remember their adverts in the back of SNAP and Plus, I can understand why he'd become jaded though, fallout from all the other humping going on imo.

WANTED,
T1 PROGRESSION

#13 2014-01-19 5:17pm

Scraplord
Pro MemberTaste My Metal
Bikes: 16
For Sale: 28
Website

race_inc wrote:

Kappa was served a cease and desist by JDB which kind of took the wind out of Scott's sails.

That really sucks if its true. Kappa made great bikes! yikes

Still searching for my missing bikes from BITD. 1979 Blue Max serial: CI9 221346 and 1977 Webco serial: 42667. Both were last seen at Spoke and Sport Bicycles in Spokane, WA around 1984. $600 reward if found!!

"Have you ever noticed that other people`s stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?" - George Carlin

WANT TO BUY 26" COOK BROS 3 BAR CRUISER!!

#14 2014-01-19 5:22pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member
For Sale: 20

Scraplord wrote:

race_inc wrote:

That really sucks if its true. Kappa made great bikes! yikes

I thought Scott hung it up before de'ruin glommed onto rehutch.

Last edited by vintage chromoly (2014-01-19 5:27pm)

unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

#15 2014-01-19 5:29pm

TuRBo Todd
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

I'm not going to speak FOR Scott of Kappa, but I believe he was, let's say, "persuaded" to stop making the Aerospeed style cranks (which I personally think is bs. Cranks hadn't been made in 20 years, and it's not like you don't see other companies frame features being used on Chinese frames, i.e. GT triple-triangle, Haro Sport tt standing platform, Torker twin toptubes, etc.) Also, I KNOW for a fact that customers (unreasonable) demands wore real thin on him. This was a 2nd job/hobby for him and when it stopped being fun, Kappa stopped.

Founder/Owner, Azusa & Secret Cycles.

#16 2014-01-19 5:33pm

darkersomeday
Expert

race_inc wrote:

IF thats true that makes me want to vomit a little,

IF mind,

I'd kind of expect it from the big corporates, but from a small outfit thats pretty shitty behaviour, esp as KAPPA always made it clear their work was retrospective and the production runs were comparatively tiny,

shame for shame,

All this old school hype will blow over, it's already on its way if you think about it, everything's been done, done again and re-done, ad infinitum at this point,
people are building any old shit these days to the point where the good stuff is lost and forgotten and gather dust in peoples financial investcollections,

As soon as it does the big companies will look elsewhere for their hunger,

Lets hope KAPPA knows this and will continue their craftsmanship when the dust settles.

KAPPA are just as important in the history of BMX as the frames they emulated.

Time served.

WANTED,
T1 PROGRESSION

#17 2014-01-19 5:42pm

race_inc
Pro Member

TuRBo Todd wrote:

I'm not going to speak FOR Scott of Kappa, but I believe he was, let's say, "persuaded" to stop making the Aerospeed style cranks (which I personally think is bs. Cranks hadn't been made in 20 years, and it's not like you don't see other companies frame features being used on Chinese frames, i.e. GT triple-triangle, Haro Sport tt standing platform, Torker twin toptubes, etc.) Also, I KNOW for a fact that customers (unreasonable) demands wore real thin on him. This was a 2nd job/hobby for him and when it stopped being fun, Kappa stopped.

I'll second what you mentioned Todd.

#18 2016-04-22 10:53am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 48
Website

What year did Kappa go out??

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#19 2016-04-22 11:06am

its-all-good
Pro MemberDon't Cheers Me Bro
For Sale: 122
Website

stonie wrote:

The Kappa closing story here http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/ind … c=27025610

"F**K the Chinese government."

#20 2016-04-22 11:47am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 48
Website

its-all-good wrote:

stonie wrote:

The Kappa closing story here http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/ind … c=27025610

Cool, thanks Rob          wink

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#21 2016-04-22 9:57pm

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

Scott and I emailed back and forth a bit after Kappa's doors closed to discuss him building me a one off 20" Adidas frame (he still had some Tre Foil gussets lying around), but I didn't have enough coin.  Wish I'd been able to make that happen.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#22 2016-04-22 10:37pm

cancan
Pro Member
For Sale: 9

I don't understand why people buy these copies.  Retros should be made to look a little like the 80s with new technology.  Why are they making 1" threaded frame set with caliper brakes and why are people buying these?  Why not spend a little more and get genuine 80's stuff?  Isn't that why we're all here? 

Please stop buying copies people.  Support the old school.  Half the fun is in the chase for these rare parts.  If you want to order a bike, new school bikes are a much better ride.

I like what kappa and knight did.  You knew right off the bat that they were not the same brand even though it looked Liked 80s stuff

I really hate what JBD did to this community.  it doesn't matter if it's the same brand 30 years later.  Don't bank off of making copies, bascially counterfiets.  Make Retros.

Want To Buy

shimano dx cranks.   vdc pedal cage extenders.   chrome ZAP pad with blue lightning blot.    campy sheriff hubs
_   superlace coaster brake.    Solid blue speedlines 1.75 MINT
Tange MX5 headsets  84 GTBMX seats

#23 2016-04-22 10:38pm

cancan
Pro Member
For Sale: 9

Sorry kind of went off topic.  Heated reading the JBD comments yikes

Want To Buy

shimano dx cranks.   vdc pedal cage extenders.   chrome ZAP pad with blue lightning blot.    campy sheriff hubs
_   superlace coaster brake.    Solid blue speedlines 1.75 MINT
Tange MX5 headsets  84 GTBMX seats

#24 2016-04-23 4:04am

83dback
LUDE

Funny this is all about Kappa. I'm curious what happened to Knight. Really nice products. If you are looking for Knight stems or chain wheels Planet BMX has them. I recently bought one of each and they are really nice.

Today is yesterday's tomorrow.  D€4L

#25 2016-04-23 5:10am

bmxbri
Museum Addict
Bikes: 3

TuRBo Todd wrote:

Plus I think a divorce had something to do with the ending of Kappa. I spoke with Scott a couple times before he closed for good and that seem to be one of reasons for closing.

when your not first, your last --- shake and bake

Board footer

View Cart →