You are not logged in.

DIY Potts' Mod

#1 2008-05-08 4:36pm

mcseforsale
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2006-07-13
Bikes: 7

DIY Potts' Mod

In case you have brakes that are not ready for the Pott's Mod (created by Steve Potts back in the mid 80s), here are the steps you can take.  This will apply to any DiaCompe brake with the quick-release on the forward arm, such as rear brakes (perform these steps and replace the pivot bolt with a front one).

OK, first, we're starting out with an excellent shape set of Nippons.  These did NOT come with a Weinmann adjuster, but I have some NOS, so I'll be using that. 

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p191/mcseforsale/DYNO_RESTORATION/WORK_IN_PROCESS/DSC01669.jpg

I used a 6" bench grinder with a fine grinding wheel to grind down the *FRONT* of the rivet.  Don't do the back...it's not as protected.  Notice that there is a steel washer under the rivet head on the front.  We'll use this as a "backstop" so as not to damage the aluminum underneath.  Grind the head until it's just barely flush with this washer.  Any further and you may risk heat damage.  You can use a dremel for this also:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p191/mcseforsale/DYNO_RESTORATION/WORK_IN_PROCESS/DSC01670.jpg

Next, punch out the rivet (it'll come out pretty easy) carefully and install your barrel adjuster (in this case a Weinmann semi-auto) in the *BACK* of the front arm like so:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p191/mcseforsale/DYNO_RESTORATION/WORK_IN_PROCESS/DSC01673.jpg

Next, pop the pinch bolt from the quick-release and install it so that it is catching the cable in the *FRONT* of the top, or rear arm.  I've seen so many people do this in reverse and all it does is create bad braking and chew up your adjuster:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p191/mcseforsale/DYNO_RESTORATION/WORK_IN_PROCESS/DSC01674.jpg

Next, run your cables.  The longer the loop, the more rubbery the lever will feel.  You want the loop to be just long enough not to cause friction, but not too long to compress and move around a lot..causing a mushy feeling:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p191/mcseforsale/DYNO_RESTORATION/COMPLETE/DSC01698.jpg

So, there's the original Potts' Mod the way Steve Potts did it....creator of the first hollow stem bolt.

AJ

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Energy and persistence conquer all things.

Enough radiation was released to create seventeen Hulks and a Spiderman.

#2 2008-05-08 4:42pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Post Restriction
Signed up: 2007-06-28
Bikes: 87
Website

Re: DIY Potts' Mod

cool but I think I would just buy a frount and leve the rear a rear brake for a nother build.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#3 2008-05-08 5:02pm

mcseforsale
Museum Addict

This actually was a front 883.  These didn't all come ready for the Potts.  Also, sometimes its hard to find like an MX900, or MX1000 because, if I remember correctly, these never came setup for Potts.

AJ

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

#4 2008-05-12 6:58am

mcseforsale
Museum Addict

Gonna bump this so it's seen.  I put it up at a wierd time.

AJ

#5 2008-05-12 11:23am

mcseforsale
Museum Addict

Yay!  My first sticky!

BTW, the purple zebra was WASTED!  We drink together.

AJ

#6 2008-05-12 11:26am

Scraplord
Pro MemberTaste My Metal
Signed up: 2006-12-11
For Sale: 12
Website

Only problem I see is that the cable angle is incorrect. You need a Potts mod adjuster that installs at the top of the brake (rather than the bottom). This will put the cable at the proper angle. The way you have it now looks like it would bind badly.

Still searching for my missing bikes from BITD. 1979 Blue Max serial: CI9 221346 and 1977 Webco serial: 42667. Both were last seen at Spoke and Sport Bicycles in Spokane, WA around 1984. $600 reward if found!!

"Tuna taco around the bed, I think I'll take the bus instead"  -Angry Samoans

No sales to: PJ1, Church, Spartacus or to the country of Belgium

#7 2008-05-12 11:30am

mcseforsale
Museum Addict

Nope no binding.  This is the way it was done BEFORE the potts mod adjuster, using the parts that came WITH the original brake.  This mod was first used in the MX series brakes, and it works to this day.  The Nippon-style Potts adjuster didn't come out until the Nippon brake.  So, for MX series brakes (900, 1000, 901, etc.), these wouldn't be period correct.

Plus, this solution works better with frames that don't have clearance for the Nippon style adjusters.  Those were always getting snapped off, anyway...this gives you a much lower profile solution.

Try running a Nippon Potts mod adjuster before Nippons existed:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p191/mcseforsale/GT_restoration/DSC01530.jpg

Simply wouldn't work.

AJ

Last edited by mcseforsale (2008-05-12 11:44am)

#8 2010-09-28 10:18am

spitfire
Expert
Signed up: 2009-09-11
Bikes: 53

this may seem like a silly question but what's the point of having the front brake run through the stem bolt if the rear cables will still get in the way of a 360' handlebar turn? Is it just cosmetic? Just curious because I'm thinking about how to set up my own brakes.

#9 2010-09-28 10:22am

Mirage1972
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2008-06-23
Bikes: 22

It's not just cosmetic. If you run the Potts, then run a long rear brake cable, you can spin the bars all the way. A rotor/gyro for the rear will give you even more flexibility. Just a Potts alone is still way better than a front brake run race-style.

WTB: Nothing, unless it's a real cheap local survivor score!

"BICYCLING DON'TS: Stunting, doing wheelies, or 'dirt biking' places stresses on bicycles far above design intentions.
Damage such as broken welds, bent forks, and 'flat spots' on rims will result" -- Breaking all the bicycling rules since 1977.

#10 2010-09-28 1:16pm

carbons2k
99%er
Signed up: 2010-05-27
Bikes: 6

NICE! im gonna do thes when i get home later

house fund: A soggy biscuit.

#11 2010-09-28 1:24pm

Jon1971
"100 Flavors of Fun"...
Signed up: 2010-07-25
Bikes: 5
Website

I was actually just thinking about posting a request for how to do this. Refreshed my screen and there it is =]

Do I owe you feedback? Please remind me via PM and I'll take care of it.

#12 2010-09-28 2:00pm

spitfire
Expert
Signed up: 2009-09-11
Bikes: 53

cheers, thanks smile  Will keep my eye out for one then smile

#13 2010-09-28 2:08pm

dallasb84
Museum Newbie
Signed up: 2010-09-26

my old schwinn predator was this way..... it had the odessey ufo for the rear brakes.......

sooo this is a solid way to go....

#14 2010-09-28 5:18pm

lou
Pro MemberPaint Pro
Signed up: 2007-09-06

Show us how to drill a hole in the long stem bolt.

#15 2010-09-28 5:55pm

jlewis
Diving Suits & Fishin' Sticks
Signed up: 2009-09-19
Bikes: 27

Nice!  Thanks for posting!  big_smile
I always hated those quick release flaps, never thought to grind them off.....

#16 2010-10-22 4:43am

2dr_sedan
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2007-07-13
Bikes: 88
Website

smile
Some good how-to.

Having the project is what makes me happy, finishing it isn't something I think about.

#17 2012-12-31 4:33pm

oldschoolpainfool
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2010-03-08
Website

Very Interesting How-To .       Any ,How -To where a grinding wheel is being used I am interested in...

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. " ~John F. Kennedy~
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”
― Albert Einstein

#18 2013-05-22 5:59am

unkleyoda
Jedi
Signed up: 2010-12-07
Bikes: 9
Website

spitfire wrote:

this may seem like a silly question but what's the point of having the front brake run through the stem bolt if the rear cables will still get in the way of a 360' handlebar turn? Is it just cosmetic? Just curious because I'm thinking about how to set up my own brakes.

When Pott's Mod came out, it was like a year before the rotor hit if I remember correctly.  Before that Eddie Fiola would run his front brake backwards so he could turn 180' with out binds. He would rotate the bars counter-clockwise.

http://www.studionemo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/1984_gt_pro_performer_fiola_replica_lg.jpg

Wanted: Black/White pinstriped California Lite pad (only need frame pad)
               Schwinn white coaster brake mags (Redstone)

#19 2013-07-29 4:42am

bmxband1t77
Museum Newbie
Signed up: 2013-07-24

I've got a new reissue white MX1000 i want to try this on.

Damn! That GT looks good!
I have an original '84 performer with rusty sad chrome and seized up black skyways in my mums loft (at least its warm and dry up there).
Think the bars were VDC Monkey bars....loved them......massive! Also original Haro digi plate, aero rear brake protector/cover and Aero blue race pads..ha ha memories flooding back. I'm thinking it needs an airing, i've always wanted to do a Fiola flying banana BMX.......

BUT just about to start my new build of PK Ripper 30th Anniversary brushed Alu frame with mostly new parts in white and Lilac/lavender.
I just received the last part in today......flying bananas might have to wait til next year. big_smile

oh by the way, hi guys I'm new here.......bmxband1t77

Not Born in '77 but was a good year.
Star Wars, Close Encounters and SE RACING Born!

#20 2013-07-29 6:10am

retired_rider_89
Expert
Signed up: 2010-01-07
Website

Welcome bmxband1t!!

I'm ready to send my nippons out to someone willing to help me out for a small fee. I just don't have the tools, time, or patience to make this conversion happen on my own.sad

#21 2013-11-16 10:32am

mcseforsale
Museum Addict

Sorry man.  Hadn't been around for a couple years.  Been building arcades and stuff.  If you still need this done, just pay shipping.  The whole process is about 5 min per brake, so...

drop me a PM if your interest.  Shipping should be cheap since you can just break down the calipers and only send me the arms

AJ

#22 2015-10-30 4:34pm

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples
Signed up: 2014-08-01
Bikes: 2

mcseforsale wrote:

This actually was a front 883.  These didn't all come ready for the Potts.  Also, sometimes its hard to find like an MX900, or MX1000 because, if I remember correctly, these never came setup for Potts.

AJ

It wasn't common, but some did.  Top of my skull I had a 86 Predator Freeform and that had a 900 in front, which didn't have the release..also it didn't have the Weinmann adjuster, just a regular barrel

Am I Beast Or Am I Human..Am I Just Like You?

#23 2017-02-19 6:46pm

osbmx
Signed up: 2016-12-12
Bikes: 1

spitfire wrote:

Before the rotors and gyros. This is what we had. A lot of guys would just run front brake only. Some guys would run a Potts Mod front and a Coaster rear. This is one of the reasons why early Haro Freestylers had coaster brake tabs.

Nice how to. I am getting ready to do this on a circa 84-85 build.

#24 2018-06-21 12:28pm

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples
Signed up: 2014-08-01
Bikes: 2

mcseforsale wrote:

AJ

I forget if they came aftermarket..guessing so.  But the already set-up MX900 came stock on some bikes, such as the Schwinn Predator Freeform in 1985-86.  Perhaps more years after.

Am I Beast Or Am I Human..Am I Just Like You?

Board footer