You are not logged in.

Freecoaster fans!!!

#676 2021-03-31 8:35am

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
From: .... Florida soon
Registered: 2008-10-22
Posts: 12152
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!


🍻😲🍻

Offline

 

#677 2021-03-31 9:22am

johnu773
Pro MemberFlatland Dominator
From: Chicago, IL
Registered: 2008-07-07
Posts: 2785
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

As someone who actually does fakie tricks on both park & flat, I'd like to make a suggestion/guide. This is based off 35 yrs of riding suntour with unbrake and evolving along the way. Slop/gap/play is actually your friend if you're doing any serious fakie/rollback stuff. Clutch based freecoasters have the most "forgive" because they dont lock up like a cassette based hub.

Khe style clutch based:
Great for all types of riding. Still prefered by many park riders because they do have some forgiving qualities instead of ejecting you from the bike if you accidentally lean forward on the pedal

Cassette based:
Good for cruising, an occassional 180 or rockwalk. Also very good for flatland (salt/ezra) since they disengage as soon as you stop pedalling forward (no backpedal pedal set)
These are not so good for riders who do a ton of fakie stuff on street/park. Most cassette based hubs have very little play so its feast or famine. (You're cruising backwards at speed or you're on your ass cuz it bucked you) profiles are adjustable so they are better and the Far east has the most play but all cassette style can lock up once you lean forward. Far East/profile/madera are also a pain because you have to backpedal to set it.

WTP Hybrid:
This is an upgraded salt/ezra which is supposed to have the slack of a clutch based with the engagement of a cassette can't wait to try one.

Planetary:
These seem to be a real good design with good slack and solid disengagement. I have not ridden one yet so I cant give feedback, but would like to ride someones just to see how it feels.

Again, slop/play/gap isnt always a bad thing (if you actually ride and fakie a lot) most riders I know who do a ton of fakies and are better riders than myself all prefer slack.


Due to Illinois corruption, mismanagement & greed, I can no longer accept Paypal.  Chase quickpay (through Zelle), money order, or local pickup only

Offline

 

#678 2021-03-31 9:28am

walribco
Pro Member
From: West Palm Beach, FL
Registered: 2012-02-12
Posts: 734
Bikes: 3
Website
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

johnu773 wrote:

As someone who actually does fakie tricks on both park & flat, I'd like to make a suggestion/guide. This is based off 35 yrs of riding suntour with unbrake and evolving along the way. Slop/gap/play is actually your friend if you're doing any serious fakie/rollback stuff. Clutch based freecoasters have the most "forgive" because they dont lock up like a cassette based hub.

Khe style clutch based:
Great for all types of riding. Still prefered by many park riders because they do have some forgiving qualities instead of ejecting you from the bike if you accidentally lean forward on the pedal

Cassette based:
Good for cruising, an occassional 180 or rockwalk. Also very good for flatland (salt/ezra) since they disengage as soon as you stop pedalling forward (no backpedal pedal set)
These are not so good for riders who do a ton of fakie stuff on street/park. Most cassette based hubs have very little play so its feast or famine. (You're cruising backwards at speed or you're on your ass cuz it bucked you) profiles are adjustable so they are better and the Far east has the most play but all cassette style can lock up once you lean forward. Far East/profile/madera are also a pain because you have to backpedal to set it.

WTP Hybrid:
This is an upgraded salt/ezra which is supposed to have the slack of a clutch based with the engagement of a cassette can't wait to try one.

Planetary:
These seem to be a real good design with good slack and solid disengagement. I have not ridden one yet so I cant give feedback, but would like to ride someones just to see how it feels.

Again, slop/play/gap isnt always a bad thing (if you actually ride and fakie a lot) most riders I know who do a ton of fakies and are better riders than myself all prefer slack.

yes this! great way to put it! i always set it to max slack, once you get used to it you dont even notice. extra plus if someone jumps on your ride and tries to cheese they usually end up on the ground!


ricedoutyugo.com

Offline

 

#679 2021-03-31 9:45am

1986haromaster
Post Restriction
Registered: 2020-12-30
Posts: 5266
Bikes: 2
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

cool

Last edited by 1986haromaster (2021-03-31 9:49am)

Offline

 

#680 2021-03-31 6:06pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
From: N. STL
Registered: 2006-01-14
Posts: 5565
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

Im really anxious to try one of the planetary type coasters. Im fairly certain they won't work for me, but I've ridden pretty much  every type over the years so im curious. Still can't believe my Rush v2 is almost 8 years old! First seven years were flawless! Thanks again johnu for the much needed parts to keep it running a few months ago!


White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2021
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my white inTRIKat!!!

Offline

 

#681 2021-03-31 6:18pm

johnu773
Pro MemberFlatland Dominator
From: Chicago, IL
Registered: 2008-07-07
Posts: 2785
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

matt thomas wrote:

Im really anxious to try one of the planetary type coasters. Im fairly certain they won't work for me, but I've ridden pretty much  every type over the years so im curious. Still can't believe my Rush v2 is almost 8 years old! First seven years were flawless! Thanks again johnu for the much needed parts to keep it running a few months ago!

No worries. Im on my alienation still too for the park bike. My salt is popping but still runs fine on the flatty. Cant wait to see the WTP hybrid hub too. Jerry has one on order


Due to Illinois corruption, mismanagement & greed, I can no longer accept Paypal.  Chase quickpay (through Zelle), money order, or local pickup only

Offline

 

#682 2021-03-31 6:41pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
From: N. STL
Registered: 2006-01-14
Posts: 5565
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

johnu773 wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

Im really anxious to try one of the planetary type coasters. Im fairly certain they won't work for me, but I've ridden pretty much  every type over the years so im curious. Still can't believe my Rush v2 is almost 8 years old! First seven years were flawless! Thanks again johnu for the much needed parts to keep it running a few months ago!

No worries. Im on my alienation still too for the park bike. My salt is popping but still runs fine on the flatty. Cant wait to see the WTP hybrid hub too. Jerry has one on order

Unfortunately, in the coming months, or with any luck I'll make it until winter, but I'll be forced to decide if im going to lace the hub to a third rim. My wheel is getting pretty rough, 5 busted spokes since last may.


White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2021
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my white inTRIKat!!!

Offline

 

#683 2021-04-01 6:27am

one piece crank
Pro Member
From: New Jersey
Registered: 2017-08-23
Posts: 309
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

Johnu773 - thanks for a great post. I’m new to FC’s and it’s hard to figure out all the internal hub differences and how they translate to riding. Ideally I need to test every type of hub. I’m currently riding a Primo Freemix, set to minimum slack. I like rollbacks and mild fakies so my goal was to replicate the feel of a coaster brake, and it’s pretty darn close.

Offline

 

#684 2021-04-01 2:32pm

johnu773
Pro MemberFlatland Dominator
From: Chicago, IL
Registered: 2008-07-07
Posts: 2785
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

Freemix is a clutch based. If you want a true coaster feel, take a few slack washers out. The extra play will be a lil more forgiving once you start getting really tech with rollback stuff


Due to Illinois corruption, mismanagement & greed, I can no longer accept Paypal.  Chase quickpay (through Zelle), money order, or local pickup only

Offline

 

#685 2021-04-01 3:24pm

pnj
Expert
Registered: 2012-09-12
Posts: 700
Offline

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

I have an old 48 hole Shimano coaster with Standard Un-brake. Maybe I should post a picture , for your pleasure. I think I may have a KHE coaster from early 2000's too...

I never really took to them. I always ran freewheels and cassettes. I guess I didn't spend enough time rolling backwards. lol


There are no carpet queens in the woods

Offline

 

Board footer