You are not logged in.

Freecoaster fans!!!

#601 2020-11-12 7:04am

Pirate_Duck
Pro Member
Signed up: 2015-05-22

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

The design is pretty clever, I've been a big fan of the Cassette Coasters for years now. Always felt they were the future & there was something to them. I'd muuuuch prefer a 14mm Female Axle but I'm not going to be that obsessive! If these prove to have decent longevity I'm REALLY into the design. The videos BSD Posted of Alex Donnachie pedalling forward whilst in a fakie was nuts! Quick 180 & pedalled away, no slack, no clunk's & clicks, nasty grinding noises etc. Just off he went! These Coasters are gunna take over 100%

#602 2020-11-12 7:04am

one piece crank
Pro Member
Signed up: 2017-08-23
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 5

midschool22 wrote:

one piece crank wrote:

Are planetary freecoasters expected to be durable, as in surviving roll-back engagement?

I would think it would be ok. The way I understand it is when the wheel moves forward it is engaged. When rolling backwards it freecoasts with no slack. You can pedal forwards while rolling backwards and not engage it (so long as you don't sprint like a madman while doing it, that is the catch). As soon as the wheel transitions from rolling backwards to forwards, it engages.

Yes, I believe with a planetary you should not engage froward pedal pressure while rolling backward.

#603 2020-11-12 9:42am

walribco
Expert
Signed up: 2012-02-12
Bikes: 3
Website

one piece crank wrote:

midschool22 wrote:

one piece crank wrote:

Are planetary freecoasters expected to be durable, as in surviving roll-back engagement?

I would think it would be ok. The way I understand it is when the wheel moves forward it is engaged. When rolling backwards it freecoasts with no slack. You can pedal forwards while rolling backwards and not engage it (so long as you don't sprint like a madman while doing it, that is the catch). As soon as the wheel transitions from rolling backwards to forwards, it engages.

Yes, I believe with a planetary you should not engage froward pedal pressure while rolling backward.

i think if you pedal forward faster than the wheel is going backwards it will engage? if that makes any sense? In any case I think  it still gives more slack than any clutch style? but this is all just my assumptions so i coild be completely wrong tongue

ricedoutyugo.com

#604 2020-11-12 10:07am

Pirate_Duck
Pro Member
Signed up: 2015-05-22

walribco wrote:

one piece crank wrote:

midschool22 wrote:

i think if you pedal forward faster than the wheel is going backwards it will engage? if that makes any sense? In any case I think  it still gives more slack than any clutch style? but this is all just my assumptions so i coild be completely wrong tongue

That's essentially it yeah.

#605 2020-11-12 11:42am

walribco
Expert
Website

Just read on facebook all the existing unsold freenight coasters got fitted with the updated bsd internals cool

ricedoutyugo.com

#606 2020-11-14 4:26pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
Signed up: 2006-01-14

walribco wrote:

one piece crank wrote:

midschool22 wrote:

I've had my coaster engage at horrible times going pretty  fast in fakies, it sucks.  It's always been me being off balance and putting forward pressure on my pedals. This design seems to solve that, im just really curious to know how it works for a guy like me who relies on pedal pressure for certain things

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2022
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw (again) inTRIKat!!!

#607 2020-11-16 4:01pm

matt thomas

matt thomas wrote:

walribco wrote:

one piece crank wrote:

I've had my coaster engage at horrible times going pretty  fast in fakies, it sucks.  It's always been me being off balance and putting forward pressure on my pedals. This design seems to solve that, im just really curious to know how it works for a guy like me who relies on pedal pressure for certain things

Found a couple vids of the Free night, basically the same as the Revolution hub. Doesn't seem like a good option for a rider who relies on pedal pressure for cab tricks. Really cool design though!

Wanted- Injury free 2022

#608 2020-11-17 7:33am

D1976
Pro Member
Signed up: 2011-08-03
For Sale: 3

James White posted a vid on his Instagram last week of him doing rollbacks while pedaling FORWARDS with the new BSD hub. It's cool, very strange looking.... I guess the hub won't engage at all if the wheel is moving backwards.

#609 2020-11-21 6:06pm

midschool22
Pro MemberFlatbiller
Signed up: 2007-07-23
Bikes: 10

Here a vid of Brant Moore checking out the BSD Revolution-

#610 2020-11-21 7:22pm

midschool22
Pro MemberFlatbiller

James White with his input on the BSD Revolution too.

#611 2020-11-22 5:52am

Sane
Pro Member
Signed up: 2013-06-02
Website

That BSD looks amazing. I wish some of these companies would kick out a short run of 3/8" axles or slotted axles for those of us with 3/8" axle slots on our frames. I could easily do it...but I'd rather not take a grinder or file to a freecoaster that costs as much as a lot of complete bikes did back in the day.

I finally retired my old Master and went new school around 2015 / 2016. I bought a freecoaster wheel set and HATED it. I took the rear wheel apart and bought a cassette to replace the freecoaster. Almost immediately. Then, a few people that I rode with back in the day as well as someone on the Museum told me to try the freecoaster again and give it some real time to get the feel of.

I bought a Clutch V1, scored a full 3/8" axle kit and converted it. Then re-replaced the rear hub with the Clutch Freecoaster. I greased it up well and ran it at minimal slack. Which is more slack than a Federal V2 at minimal..but well within the reasonable range for flatland / occasional wall ride. After getting used to it, cassettes feel weird and ghetto. Which is exactly what someone told me would happen.

You stubborn like me? - If you ride flat or do a lot of backwards riding, stop being scared of a little slack and give a good freecoaster a few months for you to adapt to it. You will not look back and you will ponder why you even had a problem with it in the first place.

WANTED - Odyssey Clutch Full 3/8" Axle Kit

I've actually been a member here since 2006...

#612 2020-11-22 6:18am

walribco
Expert
Website

Sane wrote:

That BSD looks amazing. I wish some of these companies would kick out a short run of 3/8" axles or slotted axles for those of us with 3/8" axle slots on our frames. I could easily do it...but I'd rather not take a grinder or file to a freecoaster that costs as much as a lot of complete bikes did back in the day.

I finally retired my old Master and went new school around 2015 / 2016. I bought a freecoaster wheel set and HATED it. I took the rear wheel apart and bought a cassette to replace the freecoaster. Almost immediately. Then, a few people that I rode with back in the day as well as someone on the Museum told me to try the freecoaster again and give it some real time to get the feel of.

I bought a Clutch V1, scored a full 3/8" axle kit and converted it. Then re-replaced the rear hub with the Clutch Freecoaster. I greased it up well and ran it at minimal slack. Which is more slack than a Federal V2 at minimal..but well within the reasonable range for flatland / occasional wall ride. After getting used to it, cassettes feel weird and ghetto. Which is exactly what someone told me would happen.

You stubborn like me? - If you ride flat or do a lot of backwards riding, stop being scared of a little slack and give a good freecoaster a few months for you to adapt to it. You will not look back and you will ponder why you even had a problem with it in the first place.

i feel the same way, its weird at first but I've been riding freecoasters with full slack for years i can't imagine riding without atleast a quarter pedal of slack.

ricedoutyugo.com

#613 2020-11-22 7:55am

midschool22
Pro MemberFlatbiller

walribco wrote:

i feel the same way, its weird at first but I've been riding freecoasters with full slack for years i can't imagine riding without atleast a quarter pedal of slack.

Same way here for me but with minimal slack. I'm used to my Cinema/Colony freecoasters with the minimal 55 degrees of slack...which is a hair over a quarter turn. lol

#614 2020-11-22 8:18am

Sane
Pro Member
Website

Same way here for me but with minimal slack. I'm used to my Cinema/Colony freecoasters with the minimal 55 degrees of slack...which is a hair over a quarter turn. lol

I rock my two Clutch setups at minimal slack...and there still is some slack..Just enough for flatland.

If I hit minimal slack on the Federal V2, it's just like a cassette. Which is actually pretty cool having the option to go that tight..but I have to back it off a couple turns and then it feels right. The Federal is nice. Feels suuuuuper smooth. I honestly didn't expect as much from it. I get it right to where I like it and then back it off until it doesn't "surprise engage"...

My Clutch setups never surprise engage.

#615 2020-11-22 10:20am

one piece crank
Pro Member

Any Freecoaster riders here that used to ride coaster brake?

I’m building a NS bike but have only had freestyle bikes with coaster brakes. Never had a problem rolling backwards and wondering if a typical Freecoaster has more/less/same slack?

#616 2020-11-22 11:53am

walribco
Expert
Website

one piece crank wrote:

I’m building a NS bike but have only had freestyle bikes with coaster brakes. Never had a problem rolling backwards and wondering if a typical Freecoaster has more/less/same slack?

i think the minimum slack setting on most freecoasters feels about the same as a typical coaster brake.

ricedoutyugo.com

#617 2020-11-22 1:05pm

madcat
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2011-09-14

walribco wrote:

one piece crank wrote:

i think the minimum slack setting on most freecoasters feels about the same as a typical coaster brake.

I agree with this. I just switched over from my old Shimano Coaster Brake a month ago (yes I still use it for the fun pedal picker trick) and the slack is similar with the Odyssey Clutch V1 freecoaster with minimum setting.

#618 2020-11-22 1:42pm

azaussie
Pro Member
Signed up: 2009-06-05
Bikes: 18

matt thomas wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

walribco wrote:

Found a couple vids of the Free night, basically the same as the Revolution hub. Doesn't seem like a good option for a rider who relies on pedal pressure for cab tricks. Really cool design though!

The free night/BSD hubs seem great for street and park. Any flatland riders using one of these hubs. I ask because it seems like lots of flatland moves can require pedal pressure while rolling backwards in order to successfully get out of them.

#619 2020-11-22 1:45pm

one piece crank
Pro Member

walribco wrote:

one piece crank wrote:

madcat wrote:

walribco wrote:

one piece crank wrote:

I agree with this. I just switched over from my old Shimano Coaster Brake a month ago (yes I still use it for the fun pedal picker trick) and the slack is similar with the Odyssey Clutch V1 freecoaster with minimum setting.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see if I can live with it.

#620 2020-11-22 4:20pm

Sane
Pro Member
Website

The free night/BSD hubs seem great for street and park. Any flatland riders using one of these hubs. I ask because it seems like lots of flatland moves can require pedal pressure while rolling backwards in order to successfully get out of them.

I haven't ran it yet...but I plan to. I ride a mix of old school and new school flat. Once I have acquired one and have given it a good beat-down, I will report back with my thoughts.

I wasn't strictly flat riding in the past..But my old boo-boos don't seem to dig a lot of impact. It seems I am faced with multiple choice decisions to make each day. I could just devil-may-care everything, go at it like a Kamakazee and possibly end up not being able to ride at all.

Or, I can continuously work on my flatland, avoid street / park / ramp type impacts and possibly rock out as a flatlander for years to come.

#621 2020-11-23 4:54am

azaussie
Pro Member
Signed up: 2009-06-05
Bikes: 18

Sane wrote:

I haven't ran it yet...but I plan to. I ride a mix of old school and new school flat. Once I have acquired one and have given it a good beat-down, I will report back with my thoughts.

I wasn't strictly flat riding in the past..But my old boo-boos don't seem to dig a lot of impact. It seems I am faced with multiple choice decisions to make each day. I could just devil-may-care everything, go at it like a Kamakazee and possibly end up not being able to ride at all.

Or, I can continuously work on my flatland, avoid street / park / ramp type impacts and possibly rock out as a flatlander for years to come.

Very cool Sane. Looking forward to hearing your report back.

#622 2020-11-27 2:38pm

OldSkoolBMX83
Pro Member
Signed up: 2017-01-01
Bikes: 14

I’ve yet to ride  a freecoaster. Yesterday I bought a FIT in not so great condition. Kid just quit riding and let it sit a bit. I was kinda shocked he accepted what I offered Long story short, it had been upgraded when he was riding. And was quite happy to get it home and see it had nice upgraded wheels. and a Sunday Freecoaster. Not sure it’s all there or works right, but I’ll find out soon enough I guess. https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239311/34e521b2-ba36-4f04-b74d-64034013dd3a5fc17fc651.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239311/11de6615-3078-4aad-ac72-c988bd01f23c5fc17fc696.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239311/6387d720-6f7e-4e93-a0f3-68a3c2c333555fc17fc6d9.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239311/dd97359a-d5db-4179-8f0a-742175d904015fc17fc682.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239311/0a80adc4-0f9e-4323-8c98-75c53ffa275f5fc17fc6c1.jpeg

Thoughts? Suggestions?

“Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Philippians 2:9-11

#623 2020-11-27 3:32pm

walribco
Expert
Website

OldSkoolBMX83 wrote:

I’ve yet to ride  a freecoaster. Yesterday I bought a FIT in not so great condition. Kid just quit riding and let it sit a bit. I was kinda shocked he accepted what I offered Long story short, it had been upgraded when he was riding. And was quite happy to get it home and see it had nice upgraded wheels. and a Sunday Freecoaster. Not sure it’s all there or works right, but I’ll find out soon enough I guess. https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … fc651.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … fc696.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … fc6d9.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … fc682.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … fc6c1.jpeg

Thoughts? Suggestions?

nice, i think the sunday coaster is the same as odyssey clutch v1

ricedoutyugo.com

#624 2020-11-30 5:24pm

matt thomas

matt thomas wrote:

i got a few hours in on my rush v2 over the last couple of days. so far it has worked very nicely. i have messed with the slack a bit trying to get it dialed in to where i like it. the biggest difference from all of the nankai's i have used over the years is how smooth this thing is. much smoother than a perfectly dialed nankai. tear down and assembly is way faster and easier than the nankai.  if this hub continues to work as smooth and consistent as the first few sessions, i'll probably hang up the nankai wheel for good.

^^^^From page 2, seven years ago. Haha! After 7 years of solid flawless operation, she's finally limping. Driver bearings are nearly blown. Less than 20 minutes wrenching on it over those 7 years. Im bummed, but i certainly cant complain.

Anyone got input on the Rush v3? Im pretty sure it's the same?

Wanted- Injury free 2022

#625 2020-12-01 4:30pm

midschool22
Pro MemberFlatbiller

matt thomas wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

i got a few hours in on my rush v2 over the last couple of days. so far it has worked very nicely. i have messed with the slack a bit trying to get it dialed in to where i like it. the biggest difference from all of the nankai's i have used over the years is how smooth this thing is. much smoother than a perfectly dialed nankai. tear down and assembly is way faster and easier than the nankai.  if this hub continues to work as smooth and consistent as the first few sessions, i'll probably hang up the nankai wheel for good.

^^^^From page 2, seven years ago. Haha! After 7 years of solid flawless operation, she's finally limping. Driver bearings are nearly blown. Less than 20 minutes wrenching on it over those 7 years. Im bummed, but i certainly cant complain.

Anyone got input on the Rush v3? Im pretty sure it's the same?

Looking at some pics of the V2 and the V3, It looks like the hardware is different.  The locknuts on the V2 look like jam nuts on the V3.  As far as the internals, I could not find anything on the differences.  Can't imagine any major changes there.

Last edited by midschool22 (2020-12-02 6:03am)

Board footer