You are not logged in.

Freecoaster fans!!!  RSS Feed

#476 2019-01-27 3:59pm

BunkyD
Pro Member

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

Odyssey Clutch hub.  You can't go wrong with it.

Instagram: bunkydunn

#477 2019-01-27 4:07pm

walribco
Pro Member
Bikes: 3
Website

Alienation rush is a good cheap freecoaster, externally adjustable and strong

ricedoutyugo.com

#478 2019-01-28 4:18am

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
Bikes: 5
For Sale: 4

walribco wrote:

Alienation rush is a good cheap freecoaster, externally adjustable and strong

I'll vouch for the Alienation. I've been running my v2 for at least 4 years. Most reliable coaster I've owned. I played around with the slack for a couple sessions. Once you figure out where you want it, you'll want to use blue lock-tite on the adjustment bolt.

Edit- I just looked at page one of this thread, I've been riding my v2 for over 5 years now. Im sure I've only opened this hub once, and that was when i first got it. Im sure its ready for a cleaning and regrease, but its running perfect like always so im hesitant.

Last edited by matt thomas (2019-01-28 4:47am)

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2019!
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw inTRIKat!!!

#479 2019-01-28 9:16am

ChaseDyno-Bmx
Pro MemberMuseum Ambassadorship Apprentice
Bikes: 6

walribco wrote:

ChaseDyno-Bmx wrote:

I love My Cortex FreeCoaster, Just the right amount of slack and So smooth and  Stealth Quiet http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 91cdb.jpeg

I heard that has more slack than other clutch style coasters, is that true? Been thinking about that one and I like lots of slack

There’s Slightly More Slack Than Any Other , I Like It, It’s Silky smooth And  Stealth Quiet. Crank Flips are No Problem,  Works For Me , I have Never Had a problem With Eclat Parts Of Any Kind.  They Work and Work Well

Last edited by ChaseDyno-Bmx (2019-01-28 10:10am)

My Threads Are Your Safe Place.  Enjoy BmxMuseum  And Share With Others.

#480 2019-01-28 9:19am

ChaseDyno-Bmx
Pro MemberMuseum Ambassadorship Apprentice

I Think It’s One Of the Best FreeCoaster Around Or Eclat would Not have Built it And Wethepeople would Not Have Put it On there Best Frame

Last edited by ChaseDyno-Bmx (2019-01-28 9:19am)

My Threads Are Your Safe Place.  Enjoy BmxMuseum  And Share With Others.

#481 2019-01-31 5:10am

flatland1974
Pro MemberOzone Hole Plugger
For Sale: 76

Hey guy's...while I don't really post up much anymore..I have a question for you freecoaster guru's..I just bought a set of Profile wheels (stupid cheap..$100 to my door!) and while I don't know much about the Z coaster..it IS suppose to actually..freecoast....BUT this one seems to be fully engaged..like a cassette.WHATZ UP with this thing?http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/77641/zcoaster-0015c52f392a5.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/77641/zcoaster-0025c52f39561.jpg

Taking NOS to POS since 1984!!!!!

#482 2019-01-31 6:48am

BunkyD
Pro Member

So, there could possibly be 2 different things going on:

#1, the Z-coaster can actually also be run as a cassette with a spacer that comes included with it.  It's possible the last person that had it just swapped the spacers, and forgot to tell you. In which case you're going to need to order the proper spacer that has a clutch "spring" on it.  It's really more of a cir-clip style than a spring, though.

You need to have the piece that looks like part A in this picture: https://www.profileracing.com/wp-conten … Spacer.jpg

or

#2, there's something wrong with the current clutch/spring system.  Either way, you're going to want to take the drive side cone nut off and inspect the inside.  It's possible the cone is not tightened down hard enough causing the spacer that holds the clutch spring to spin  (happened with mine), but at this point you should really open it up and examine it.  There's a little rubber O-ring that goes in there that if it's damaged or missing will not hold the piece in place and then it will not "clutch" like it's supposed to.  O-ring looks like this: https://www.profileracing.com/product/z … on-o-ring/

Posting more pictures will certainly help along the way as I can probably look at them and tell you what's up.  I've got a Z-coaster myself and have a TON of experiance working on coasters for close to 20 years.  We'll get you sorted.

Last edited by BunkyD (2019-01-31 6:49am)

#483 2019-01-31 9:10am

matt thomas

Damn right bunky! One of the most helpful posts I've seen in a while.

#484 2019-01-31 9:18am

flatland1974

I was going to thank him by giving him a feedback...HELL YA...now that was a response!No drama..no attitude....not a  a guess..maybe..or opinion,just a straight forward CORRECT answer .Thank you kind sir!cool
I'll pull it apart and take a look.

#485 2019-01-31 9:56am

BunkyD
Pro Member

Oh, thanks guys.  Just happy to try and help!  I actually used to run free-coaster.com back in the day, so I've got a lot of experience answering coaster related questions and trying to be specific to get to the problem and help people. 

Looking forward to seeing what kind of results you get. 

BTW, how in the hell did you find that deal???  100 bucks is a very, very, good price even if it does end up needing some new parts to get it running.

#486 2019-01-31 3:52pm

flatland1974

You are 100% right!!http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/77641/new-for-sale-0915c538a2316.jpg
And Now I have to look for a "A"
Maybe someone on here might have one..but I doubt it.http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/77641/zcoaster-flat-spring-spacer5c538c99b8.jpg

Last edited by flatland1974 (2019-01-31 4:02pm)

#487 2019-01-31 4:18pm

flatland1974

They want $24 for the spacer and $12 to ship it!yikes

#488 2019-01-31 4:35pm

dikdiamond
Pro Member

I remember your website Bunky! I loved all the information you compiled about the different freecoasters bitd. Plus your maintenance tips were damn helpful

Last edited by dikdiamond (2019-01-31 4:35pm)

#489 2019-01-31 5:01pm

IPD
Pro Member
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 2
Website

Saw someone listed a gold set of geisha hubs on ebay this week.

It's like the man says, there's no problems...only solutions.

#490 2019-01-31 5:22pm

unfit4society
Pro Memberbeehive neck
Website

coolcat70-1 wrote:

Thx, there are 2 thumb screws on the cog. Turn them in and you can pedal forward and backwards. There's another oldschool part called un-brake that disables the coaster brake permanently, for free wheel.

That is incorrect, turning in the screws allow the coasterbrake to engage, turning them out allows the hub to work like a freewheel but without turning the cranks when rolling backward like a normal freewheel would.

Please help my Nephew if you can, check my website space.

#491 2019-02-01 7:35am

BunkyD
Pro Member

flatland1974 wrote:

I just noticed that there's no slack cam ring in the hub too...   You're going to need one of those as well.

https://www.profileracing.com/product/z … cam-rings/

You may be able to find someone who's switch out a ring for a different slack option that would be willing to sell a used one to you.

#492 2019-02-01 8:01am

johnu773
Pro MemberFlatland Dominator

New to this thread. I swear by my Salt/Ezra hubs for Flatland, but I prefer a clutch type hub for Street/Park.
The cassette based hubs engage instantly if you lean too far forward for rollbacks (ejecting you like a broom handle in the spokes)
The clutch based hubs have more "drag" before they do engage, so I've found they are a little more forgiving when you lean a little to hard forward.

To anyone using a Salt or Ezra...DON'T mind the "pop". The sound you get randomly when you pedal forwards is actually the pawls grabbing on the teeth inside the hub and then jumping into their slots. I've had the same Salt hub for 3+ years with NO issues yet.

I prefer the Colony hub for my clutch style freecoasters.

Last edited by johnu773 (2019-02-01 8:03am)

Just ride your bike!

#493 2019-02-01 9:59am

flatland1974

BunkyD wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

I just noticed that there's no slack cam ring in the hub too...   You're going to need one of those as well.

You may be able to find someone who's switch out a ring for a different slack option that would be willing to sell a used one to you.

10-4...I guess Ill call Profile and see how much the 2 pieces would cost.Did I need that rubber washer also?..And what's the best overall ring for flat.I know to each his own..but I ridden my Nanaki for a long time and I didn't mess with it at all.
The  clicking sound with take getting use to.lol

#494 2019-02-01 12:20pm

matt thomas

flatland1974 wrote:

BunkyD wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

10-4...I guess Ill call Profile and see how much the 2 pieces would cost.Did I need that rubber washer also?..And what's the best overall ring for flat.I know to each his own..but I ridden my Nanaki for a long time and I didn't mess with it at all.

Check this out. It might help deciding which is closest to your Nankai.

#495 2019-02-02 5:13am

flatland1974

matt thomas wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

BunkyD wrote:

Any of those would be just fine..looks like Ill be riding the cassette setup until I can get the parts I need. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/77641/new-for-sale-0015c55977769.jpg

#496 2019-02-02 3:07pm

matt thomas

flatland1974 wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

Any of those would be just fine..looks like Ill be riding the cassette setup until I can get the parts I need. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 977769.jpg

Even after purchasing the parts you need, that's a sweet wheelset for the dollars invested!

#497 2019-02-02 4:07pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!
Bikes: 2

crj1968 gave me a heck of a deal on a Colony freecoaster. When I get it, I'm going to get it laced up and give it a try. I haven't used a freecoaster since my RL Edge.

#498 2019-02-04 7:29am

flatland1974

matt thomas wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

Any of those would be just fine..looks like Ill be riding the cassette setup until I can get the parts I need. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 977769.jpg

Even after purchasing the parts you need, that's a sweet wheelset for the dollars invested!

THanks bro..a few guys I talked to locally have raved about them..we'll see once I get the slack ring and spacer(I have a WTB ad here)..I can't really complain about the Naniki/Profile mini Sun set up I've had for like 5 years..Keeping up maintenance on the coaster and tightening the spokes from time to time really helped in the long run..Looks like it's time to sell the old set.

#499 2019-02-06 6:37am

BunkyD
Pro Member

flatland1974 wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

THanks bro..a few guys I talked to locally have raved about them..we'll see once I get the slack ring and spacer(I have a WTB ad here)..I can't really complain about the Naniki/Profile mini Sun set up I've had for like 5 years..Keeping up maintenance on the coaster and tightening the spokes from time to time really helped in the long run..Looks like it's time to sell the old set.

Let me look around in my shop sometime this week.  I'm pretty sure I still have a 60degree slack ring that came in mine before I switched it out, and I think you might be able to take the spring out of your Nankai and run it on the cassette sleeve.  I'll try and find the slack ring and pull apart one of my nankai's to see if I can get it to work.

#500 2019-02-07 5:36am

flatland1974

BunkyD wrote:

flatland1974 wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

Let me look around in my shop sometime this week.  I'm pretty sure I still have a 60degree slack ring that came in mine before I switched it out, and I think you might be able to take the spring out of your Nankai and run it on the cassette sleeve.  I'll try and find the slack ring and pull apart one of my nankai's to see if I can get it to work.

Damm..thanks again brotha!!I think all who ride freecoasters should take a week off and ride a cassette just to appreciate what we have today.cool

Board footer

View Cart →