You are not logged in.

Haro Lineage is here!!!!!  RSS Feed

#51 2013-10-17 5:39pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
From: Minnesota
Registered: 2008-12-30
Posts: 5899
Bikes: 1
Website

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

JTinNC wrote:

Not trying to make it personal. What would you consider to be an ideal lineage?

I guess a couple things here...

First, and foremost..  I think it's a killer looking frame.  I like the white one that was just submitted to the museum as well.  So, I have no dislike for the product at all.

I do now see a little more of the flair they were putting into the bike.  The fake headset cups, gusset, chevrons in the old school places..  machined BB, and such..  so maybe my initial opinion was a little premature.

I guess, maybe my bigger issue is just the need to call it "Lineage"..  I think Haro feels a need to reconnect with the old Haro, which of course is good for us old guys..  I think my opinion is as simple as I don't like the name possibly.

If I were to have an opinion in the process..  I look at Haro like this...  First, Artistry.  Bob Haro was an artist.  His frames, colors and designs were Art.  Second, innovation..  Which I honestly don't know how to innovate past where bikes are now days, besides tweaking geometry a little.  So maybe it's the lack of Design/Artistry..  maybe not just colors, but design.  While I even like the subtleness, and I typically like clean straight forward design...   BUT..  that isn't the "Lineage" that I would expect from Haro.  Again, in my opinion.

I simply was just trying to find the connection between the design, and the name...  I'm just not seeing it.

Since you brought it up..  Yeah, pre 88 geek here as you know..  I actually loved all the retro bikes.  In those cases, they brought the EXACT design back, but made it with less worthy materials... 

My idea of a new "Lineage" would be proper materials, NOT an exact replica of the design/graphics, but more design elements..  whether it's touches of color from back in the day..  or some of the design/graphics that Bob used. 

One "Lineage" design that I've always liked..  Some of the Jordan shoes out there... where theyve taken different aspects of multiple generations of Jordan shoes, but used modern shoe technology, and made a current shoe, that screamed 90's Jordan's.

In the end, like I said..  I really like the bike, I actually love the NS bikes.

Anyway..  that's all.  Maybe that was a more constructive response, vs. asking a question that may be perceived as a negative spin.

Offline

 

#52 2013-10-17 5:56pm

JTinNC
Museum Addict
From: Spencer, NC/Amherst, OH
Registered: 2009-04-05
Posts: 3932
Bikes: 10
Website

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

Thanks for clarifying. Haro has made a concerted effort to really tie their history into the new school in a way that pays respect to the pioneers of the sport while also being a relevant product for the modern rider. I think a lot of lessons were learned from the 2009 retro mess.

While I agree whole heartedly about colors and graphics, decals are usually removed right after the brakes by most kids so there's little reason to invest in decals that won't be appreciated.

As far as innovation, check out some of the modern construction elements. The investment cast dropouts on the frame and new fork along with the CNC machined head tube, BB and seat tube are all state of the industry in bmx construction. Only the Sunday wave tubing is more cutting edge than this new frame.

I think this will all come together more clearly when the stem, sprocket, and other products start hitting the market.


"If you're gonna eat shit, don't nibble on it."

Offline

 

#53 2013-10-17 6:10pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
From: Minnesota
Registered: 2008-12-30
Posts: 5899
Bikes: 1
Website

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

I can go with that, but I think there are ways of making the design appeal to the current riders.  Sunday has used tons of color, and graphics..  and the Standard, and S&M's are also using a lot of color, and creativity with their finishes now.  The raw frames are going away, and color is back.  You're seeing it in cars, shoes, clothing, etc, etc.  I think that if the same effort was put into these, there would be a little more alignment for me.

As simple as taking the exact bike they've created, doing a blue one...  even candy blue..    incorporating the two stripes that were on the 86 Sports, and throwing a "throwback" headtube sticker on, is completely subtle, but a direct correlation between the design they came up with, and some of the old design/graphics.  They could totally make them more modern, but really hit the vision of what I think would be considered more "Lineage".

Ok..  enough.  I don't want to come off sour about this bike, it's totally kick ass.  I love the white one just submitted in the museum, so no need to nit pick I guess.  smile

Offline

 

#54 2013-10-17 6:27pm

nvmyslowride
BMXer 4 Life
From: Moline, IL
Registered: 2009-09-20
Posts: 5565
Bikes: 57

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

Well said gents! This is all great talk for sure and both of you guys have good points, glad to see you noticed some of the details like the headset cup look. I fully understand about the decals. But in MY OPINION decals and crazy colors sell bikes to kids, us older look for style, and quality am i correct? It would be cool maybe for next years model to release a decal set on the bikes as kind of a throw back to yester years. But right now frame style, quality and price point, These are going to sell quick!

JTinNC and five.  Good points!!! and good eye!

Last edited by nvmyslowride (2013-10-17 6:29pm)


PLEASE FIND US IN THE NON-BMX SECTION UNDER Charities, Donations etc... Yes there is one!

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=324898


MIDWEST BMX DONATION PROGRAM IS IN NEED OF YOUR USED BMX PARTS.

VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!!!

Offline

 

#55 2013-10-17 6:28pm

nvmyslowride
BMXer 4 Life
From: Moline, IL
Registered: 2009-09-20
Posts: 5565
Bikes: 57

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

rideonandon wrote:

Been riding mine for a few months now, absolutely love it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/1033 … 91fa_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/1033 … 34d9_z.jpg

I am also a sucker for white! Man thats cool! Didnt even know about a white one.


PLEASE FIND US IN THE NON-BMX SECTION UNDER Charities, Donations etc... Yes there is one!

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=324898


MIDWEST BMX DONATION PROGRAM IS IN NEED OF YOUR USED BMX PARTS.

VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!!!

Offline

 

#56 2013-10-17 7:30pm

rideon
Pro MemberConcrete Junkie
From: Janesville, WI
Registered: 2013-10-17
Posts: 831
Bikes: 9

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

JTinNC wrote:

rideonandon wrote:

Been riding mine for a few months now, absolutely love it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/1033 … 91fa_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/1033 … 34d9_z.jpg

That is so fresh and clean. Are you going to Greenville, NC for Trans Jam November 2? I'd love to see that in person.

Hadn't planned on it, come up to Norfolk and ride the bowl!

Offline

 

#57 2013-10-17 7:31pm

rideon
Pro MemberConcrete Junkie
From: Janesville, WI
Registered: 2013-10-17
Posts: 831
Bikes: 9

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

nvmyslowride wrote:

rideonandon wrote:

Been riding mine for a few months now, absolutely love it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/1033 … 91fa_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/1033 … 34d9_z.jpg

I am also a sucker for white! Man thats cool! Didnt even know about a white one.

I don't think the white will go into production; this one was a sample.

Offline

 

#58 2013-10-17 7:46pm

forty_three
Museum Addict
From: Columbus, OH
Registered: 2010-10-12
Posts: 1043
Bikes: 4

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

five wrote:

JTinNC wrote:

Not trying to make it personal. What would you consider to be an ideal lineage?

I guess a couple things here...

First, and foremost..  I think it's a killer looking frame.  I like the white one that was just submitted to the museum as well.  So, I have no dislike for the product at all.

I do now see a little more of the flair they were putting into the bike.  The fake headset cups, gusset, chevrons in the old school places..  machined BB, and such..  so maybe my initial opinion was a little premature.

I guess, maybe my bigger issue is just the need to call it "Lineage"..  I think Haro feels a need to reconnect with the old Haro, which of course is good for us old guys..  I think my opinion is as simple as I don't like the name possibly.

If I were to have an opinion in the process..  I look at Haro like this...  First, Artistry.  Bob Haro was an artist.  His frames, colors and designs were Art.  Second, innovation..  Which I honestly don't know how to innovate past where bikes are now days, besides tweaking geometry a little.  So maybe it's the lack of Design/Artistry..  maybe not just colors, but design.  While I even like the subtleness, and I typically like clean straight forward design...   BUT..  that isn't the "Lineage" that I would expect from Haro.  Again, in my opinion.

I simply was just trying to find the connection between the design, and the name...  I'm just not seeing it.

Since you brought it up..  Yeah, pre 88 geek here as you know..  I actually loved all the retro bikes.  In those cases, they brought the EXACT design back, but made it with less worthy materials... 

My idea of a new "Lineage" would be proper materials, NOT an exact replica of the design/graphics, but more design elements..  whether it's touches of color from back in the day..  or some of the design/graphics that Bob used. 

One "Lineage" design that I've always liked..  Some of the Jordan shoes out there... where theyve taken different aspects of multiple generations of Jordan shoes, but used modern shoe technology, and made a current shoe, that screamed 90's Jordan's.

In the end, like I said..  I really like the bike, I actually love the NS bikes.

Anyway..  that's all.  Maybe that was a more constructive response, vs. asking a question that may be perceived as a negative spin.

Well said, both five and JTinNC. I  can't imagine how hard it is to go through a design process for a "throwback" product that is meant to be used in the here and now. Technology changes, tastes change. You go too far into retro appearance and it looks like you're trying to hard. Not enough and it looks like a halfhearted attempt.

I see it kind of like the "retro" car movement. VW re-did the beetle, and Ford re-did the T-bird. I think VW got it right because they built a new car with styling cues from the old one. Ford just made a copy with smoothed edges. I like the subtle cues on this bike, but agree that it is kinda missing some of that Bob Haro flair. They are off to a great start though. And I can't wait for some of the smaller components to see how they finish the look.

Anyone know if there's any plans to build a 22" or 24"?


I thrashed your grail, and I loved every second of it.

Offline

 

#59 2013-10-17 8:00pm

nvmyslowride
BMXer 4 Life
From: Moline, IL
Registered: 2009-09-20
Posts: 5565
Bikes: 57

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

Unsure about bigger sizes, but I dropped a email to have them make a group 1 style modern race bike wink


PLEASE FIND US IN THE NON-BMX SECTION UNDER Charities, Donations etc... Yes there is one!

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=324898


MIDWEST BMX DONATION PROGRAM IS IN NEED OF YOUR USED BMX PARTS.

VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!!!

Offline

 

#60 2013-10-17 8:08pm

ChiefRidesInWoods
Intermediate
From: PA
Registered: 2008-02-15
Posts: 335

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

I agree on the group 1 style bike being brought into production.

I have an '06 group 1 SX project that I have to get cranks for and while I love the frame and the technology it doesn't borrow much if anything from the older ones certainly not my old '99 I used to use for pub rides.


Looking for: Late 90s-00 GT Interceptor and Dyno VFR (square tube) Backtrail X2, X3, or X4 stock parts. (Big/small block stem*rounded*, small/big block pedals, seat clamp and sprockets) Nothing fancy it's going on a rider.
Send me a PM with the details and lets trade some parts guys! (or cash)

Offline

 

#61 2013-10-18 5:49am

jumpin jim
Pro Member
From: Shelby Twp, MI
Registered: 2009-01-27
Posts: 4357
Bikes: 2

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

IMO with the CNC'd Bottom bracket and head tube, also the wrap around gusset, and the new thick short dropouts. Haro has put more thought into this frame, than anything we have previously seen from them. Also if you have not looked into Haro's current race machines namely the Carbon you don't know what your mssing. Haro is back in a big way.

Offline

 

#62 2013-10-18 9:47am

JTinNC
Museum Addict
From: Spencer, NC/Amherst, OH
Registered: 2009-04-05
Posts: 3932
Bikes: 10
Website

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

The Clutch carbon frame is arguably the best racing frame available right now. When you have two Olympians on your team you must be doing something right.


"If you're gonna eat shit, don't nibble on it."

Offline

 

#63 2013-10-18 5:28pm

nvmyslowride
BMXer 4 Life
From: Moline, IL
Registered: 2009-09-20
Posts: 5565
Bikes: 57

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

wink Oh just wait.. Haro is got some BIG plans


PLEASE FIND US IN THE NON-BMX SECTION UNDER Charities, Donations etc... Yes there is one!

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=324898


MIDWEST BMX DONATION PROGRAM IS IN NEED OF YOUR USED BMX PARTS.

VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!!!

Offline

 

#64 2013-10-18 6:40pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life
From: Westside Of Cleveland
Registered: 2010-11-27
Posts: 14089

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

I've heard and I'm pretty stoked considering their 2012 Freestyler debacle , which I'm sure they hopefully learned from . lolcool


" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

     ~ Hunter S. Thompson 

Offline

 

#65 2013-10-18 8:19pm

cru jones 2
Pro Member"da Holmes"
From: California
Registered: 2005-07-01
Posts: 1411
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 2

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

i love it, would love to see a version with a kinked top tube and a wishbone rear, like the old group 1's, and some v brake mounts.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm115/camsmall/c4a142ff.jpg
*not my pic

Last edited by cru jones 2 (2013-10-18 8:20pm)


whips*chains*chromoly frames

I put the "x!" in bmx!

Offline

 

#66 2013-10-18 9:06pm

nvmyslowride
BMXer 4 Life
From: Moline, IL
Registered: 2009-09-20
Posts: 5565
Bikes: 57

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

cru jones 2 wrote:

i love it, would love to see a version with a kinked top tube and a wishbone rear, like the old group 1's, and some v brake mounts.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm11 … a142ff.jpg
*not my pic

I could see this bike with a modern rear end and maybe investment cast dropouts, but with the same type of top tube, front gusset, Euro, V brakes, and a hint of the old graphics but meeting new style?

Not a retro but with the suttle touches of the old with all the new tech.. Moving forward with technology so you can have a modern competitive full race frame.

Last edited by nvmyslowride (2013-10-18 9:07pm)


PLEASE FIND US IN THE NON-BMX SECTION UNDER Charities, Donations etc... Yes there is one!

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=324898


MIDWEST BMX DONATION PROGRAM IS IN NEED OF YOUR USED BMX PARTS.

VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!!!

Offline

 

#67 2013-10-18 10:16pm

cru jones 2
Pro Member"da Holmes"
From: California
Registered: 2005-07-01
Posts: 1411
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 2

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

Even keep it beefy as a dirt jumper


whips*chains*chromoly frames

I put the "x!" in bmx!

Offline

 

#68 2013-10-19 5:00am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life
From: Westside Of Cleveland
Registered: 2010-11-27
Posts: 14089

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

No Euro anything...keep it Mid BB . cool


" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

     ~ Hunter S. Thompson 

Offline

 

#69 2013-10-19 6:11am

JTinNC
Museum Addict
From: Spencer, NC/Amherst, OH
Registered: 2009-04-05
Posts: 3932
Bikes: 10
Website

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

Haro updated their website and now have the Lineage frame listed with specs.

http://www.harobikes.com/bmx/frames/lineage-frame

This is pretty rad too.


"If you're gonna eat shit, don't nibble on it."

Offline

 

#70 2013-10-19 6:13am

hondo20
Museum Addict
From: >>>--Noleville--->
Registered: 2007-12-20
Posts: 1367
Bikes: 6

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

I agree with the Kinked top tube.
But think the back end should stay the way it is
definitely no wishbone. 
I like a blend of the early group ones with the later. 

Modern take on the 85-86 Haro bars would be cool touch.

I like it!!


Looking for =
Boss freestyle bars
Haro Master Pads White /Blue
Webco forks

Offline

 

#71 2013-10-19 6:19am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life
From: Westside Of Cleveland
Registered: 2010-11-27
Posts: 14089

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

I like the Wishbone but us Zi owners got shafted with crappy Caliper brakes and no 990 mounts like the other models of that year and later had . lol


" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

     ~ Hunter S. Thompson 

Offline

 

#72 2013-10-19 1:23pm

D1976
Pro Member
From: Atlanta, Georgia
Registered: 2011-08-03
Posts: 843

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

Dimensions? When/where are they going to be available?

Offline

 

#73 2013-10-19 5:33pm

JTinNC
Museum Addict
From: Spencer, NC/Amherst, OH
Registered: 2009-04-05
Posts: 3932
Bikes: 10
Website

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

D1976 wrote:

Dimensions? When/where are they going to be available?

Really?  Did you read any of the thread or just look at the pictures before you posted?


"If you're gonna eat shit, don't nibble on it."

Offline

 

#74 2013-10-19 8:18pm

D1976
Pro Member
From: Atlanta, Georgia
Registered: 2011-08-03
Posts: 843

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

JTinNC wrote:

D1976 wrote:

Dimensions? When/where are they going to be available?

Really?  Did you read any of the thread or just look at the pictures before you posted?

I didn't see anything specific to the flatland bike other than it has a 19" top tube. But hey, I understand these things don't matter if you just hang bikes on the wall.

Offline

 

#75 2013-10-20 8:20am

nvmyslowride
BMXer 4 Life
From: Moline, IL
Registered: 2009-09-20
Posts: 5565
Bikes: 57

Re: Haro Lineage is here!!!!!

D1976 wrote:

JTinNC wrote:

D1976 wrote:

Dimensions? When/where are they going to be available?

Really?  Did you read any of the thread or just look at the pictures before you posted?

I didn't see anything specific to the flatland bike other than it has a 19" top tube. But hey, I understand these things don't matter if you just hang bikes on the wall.

The 19'' top tube Lineage frames are just samples of less then a handful. They wont be production bikes, but if they become popular it would be a great idea to do a flatland bike. After I get mine complete, I will take some pictures for here and Haro and then it will be ridden, and i also plan on others to ride mine to see how they like it. No wall hang here! Built to ride!


PLEASE FIND US IN THE NON-BMX SECTION UNDER Charities, Donations etc... Yes there is one!

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=324898


MIDWEST BMX DONATION PROGRAM IS IN NEED OF YOUR USED BMX PARTS.

VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!!!

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →