You are not logged in.

ANY ANSWERS…”WHEN ARE YOU TOO OLD TO RIDE A BMX BIKE?”  RSS Feed

#51 2019-01-13 4:13pm

Bmx Cynthia
Pro Memberthebigg36
Bikes: 1

Re: ANY ANSWERS…”WHEN ARE YOU TOO OLD TO RIDE A BMX BIKE?”

I turn 54 in April and I don't ride parks or anything, but I can and do crank out ten mile rides in my neighborhood on my 24. I was in terrible shape at 47. It takes a few seasons to really get back in shape, but if you love riding it's inevitable.

#52 2019-01-13 4:28pm

oldskoolkel
Museum Addict

Am I the only big old kid that spat his food out laughing at someone called "Misty Dong" inducted into the Hall of Fame?

As said, when your dead. My mate and I are working on the 20's so we can get our old arses back over to ROM - an absence of of 33 years we reckon.
Should be fun, full face helmet and taking it easy for a while....
We have cruised a fair bit on the 26 and 24, the 20 seems so small now.

And apologies Misty if you're reading this, obviously a super star in the art of BMX....cool

1983 Porsche 911 SC,1978 Ford Capri 3.0 xpack
2011 26" OM Flyer, 2010 metal wrap retro looptail PK, 2000 aluminium Mongoose SGX 24".

#53 2019-01-13 5:22pm

Rad Robs
Pro Member
Website

I'm 60, still street ride 20" at night. Ya gotta see the expression on security guards when they stop me to ask what I'm doing, and then how old I am. I did stop grinding when I went over the bars three times one night onto concrete when I was about 50.

I had a heart attack about 2 years ago requiring surgery and a couple stents. It was expected due to family history. During recovery the cardiologist told me I should start riding a bike. Me " Really? .... Good.  Because I've been doing 35 MPH sprints on my BMX bike for a few weeks already so no worries. Gotcha, I'm on it,  RIDE!"

What, over 60 and still riding! thats good for a pro membership!!! I am 53 and still going myself!!  GAry

John Paige
wwwradcapz.com

#54 2019-01-13 9:06pm

Ladis
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

You may think you‘re too old to ride- or you may think you‘re not too old to ride.....your‘re right in both cases.....(qouting Henry Ford)

#55 2019-01-13 9:18pm

Dirty Habits
Pro MemberMy mother was a Witch, she was burned alive
Bikes: 41
For Sale: 28

Spintech wrote:

When they start signing my paycheck, paying my bills, and buying my bikes then maybe i’ll listen. Until then, they can trump off!

lol I like that!!!!

So yeah... everyone TRUMP OFF!  big_smile lol cool

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness............-Emo Philips

#56 2019-01-13 9:24pm

ABA180
Meow

RacerX_76 wrote:

I’m 42 and monthly ride with friends New England weather permitting, but I’ve dialed back the aggressiveness at skateparks after some injuries and health issues. But I have absolutely no intention of giving up riding because of my age.

No parks for me..never was into them, but I'm 45 and still ride in the warmer months when I get time.  Sometimes that's little more than a quick cruise up and down my street after work, but oh well.

#57 2019-01-14 4:31am

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 5

When you are physically unable.

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#58 2019-01-14 3:49pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

Tomorrow..I allegedly..turn 44...
I RIDE..
THEREFORE I AM..
Ive had some issues Im working through and hopefully, finding some good riding buddies now will help me get "BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN".

Last edited by STREETBEATBEAST (2019-01-14 3:50pm)

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#59 2019-01-18 12:47am

oldskoolkel
Museum Addict

Beast, you have that great looking beat - you should never stop riding that bike.....cool

1983 Porsche 911 SC,1978 Ford Capri 3.0 xpack
2011 26" OM Flyer, 2010 metal wrap retro looptail PK, 2000 aluminium Mongoose SGX 24".

#60 2019-01-23 10:39am

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

marioval wrote:

Does skill level come into play here? I ask because i'm 43 and still ride BMX but I suck. I can barely do anything. If someone is older and can still shred it seems awesome. Dennic McCoy doing a 900 at the X Games at age 51 is mind blowing. Now picture a 51 year old guy at the skatepark who keeps falling trying to bunny hop and each time yelling "my hip"! Seems a little sad? Yes? No? Does skill level change the perception?

Lol...for me it did.  Meaning that while my mind felt it was as skilled as when I stopped as a kid, my body replied "Nope!" with an emphatic refusal to compensate for my going from 120 to 165, with the bike weight and size remaining constant! Too much bar lift tail bone landing and nearly asphalt/ face meldng endos.

It may feel cheesey, but starting with small less aggressive stuff with focus on good form makes for advancing more rapidly than regularly wiping out and getting hurt out of impatience...muscle memory does return.

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it!"

Board footer

View Cart →