You are not logged in.

ANY ANSWERS…”WHEN ARE YOU TOO OLD TO RIDE A BMX BIKE?”  RSS Feed

#1 2013-10-03 7:47am

TEXMEXBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

ANY ANSWERS…”WHEN ARE YOU TOO OLD TO RIDE A BMX BIKE?”

http://jcclothingcompany.com/andy-answe … -bmx-bike/

I was recently MCing a scooter comp when it occurred to me that I was conversing with scooter riders who shaved.

I thought to myself, ‘These guys ain’t kids anymore…they’re men!’, and I wondered how their girlfriends would feel having their post-pubescent boyfriends turn up outside their house to pick them up on a scooter.

After laughing in my head about the situation, I thought to myself, ‘I wonder if members of the public ask the same question of BMX riders that I was of scooter riders?’.

After all, BMX bikes are just kids bikes… right? I mean, I know there are plenty of men making plenty of money riding BMX bikes for a living, but the question still begged…

How old is too old to ride a BMX?

BMX is a strange sport, as it is dominated by riders in their late teens and early 20s and anyone approaching their 30s is often ridiculed by the younger prodigies and are considered over-the-hill.

The strange part comes in when you see 40 and 50-year-old riders and they have all the respect in the world from younger BMXers.

It makes no sense.

It’s like, “Hey look at the 30-year-old loser still riding BMX… get off the park old man!”, and then in the same breath, “Cool! Look at the really old guy giving it a go… respect!”.

So, when are you too old to ride a BMX? Going by the above example, you would have to say between the ages 30 and 40, but that really makes no sense.

I guess in my opinion, and not just because I fall within the aforementioned age group of 30 to 40-year-olds, I don’t think you could ever be too old to ride a BMX.

I mean, look at Matt Hoffman. He is BMX royalty and rode professionally right through his 30s!

So I guess as long as you are enjoying yourself, who gives a rip what anyone else thinks. BMX has always been and will always be primarily about having fun and there is no age limit on fun!

But one question remains… Does my attitude about BMX extend to scooters?

Well, it probably should but it doesn’t. If you ride scooters and your voice has broken… you need to get a BMX!

Andy Sawden is JC Action Sports’ resident MC and Athlete Manager. Have a question for him? Facebook us a reply to this article’s link! (Or else we will be forced to make something up!)

#2 2013-10-03 11:39am

Burt-Blood
Bikes: 4

Re: ANY ANSWERS…”WHEN ARE YOU TOO OLD TO RIDE A BMX BIKE?”

When you prolapse during a Vander-roll lol

#3 2013-10-03 11:50am

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 16

Since we are on the age topic, I will use 2 examples one of them non bmx

Phares parsons 78 back in 2011

https://vimeo.com/28693898

and Chris Karamesines  The Golden Greek NHRA top fuel driver

http://www.hotrod.com/feature_stories/h … ewall.html

Both of these men are in thier 80's doing what they love.

Last edited by ANTDOG (2013-10-03 11:55am)

If I Will Throw An Elbow To My Best Friend  In A Turn,what Makes You Think I Wont Do It To You????????????

Former National 29 35-40x  -NBL
2010 2011 Regional #3  NBL

2019 district 174 USABMX

#4 2013-10-03 3:43pm

wazza
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 5

I'm 51 now and out on the bmx rides we have here in England every month
when I'm riding I'm still 15 inside
one life just enjoy it

#5 2013-10-03 4:49pm

GT Performer Phene

I think that age should not matter as long as you don't care about comments bad what people think of you. There is gonna be people who think is cool and some that it think is lame. I personally, I think us, "old farts" look cool riding bmx specially anything that's dayglo or funky colors. One will always get the double stare look. smile

#6 2013-10-03 5:07pm

Spang
Pro Member
Bikes: 9

Just like Wazza said, when you ride, you are 15 inside.  That is how I feel and I am 43.  So I guess to answer the question, never.  As long as I can still pedal I will ride.  Besides, I am only 5'6" so I look like a fat kid from a distance smile

#7 2013-10-03 5:20pm

lord quas
Pro Membercan't think for myself

Age is just a number. I'm 41. I ride more now than I ever did in my 20's, too busy with cars and girls. I also ride with about a dozen or more riders from ages 32 to 44 and none of us plan to quit any time soon. In fact we are renting a van at the end of this month and hitting a flatland contest in Ohio. As far as what other people think, I COULD CARE LESS.

BMX4LIFE.

Oh and REAL MEN DON"T RIDE SCOOTERS! wink

" Since accident, Malvert sometimes pee red "  44T BMX Club, Chicago - small sprocket division.

#8 2013-10-03 5:36pm

bmxerpete
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

I'm right there with you guys...I could give a rat's ass what anyone thinks when I'm out riding. It's still fun as hell so why would I ever quit? I'll be 51 next month, and I plan on celebrating my b-day at the skatepark!

#9 2018-10-13 12:10pm

bmxmom196
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

Spang wrote:

Just like Wazza said, when you ride, you are 15 inside.  That is how I feel and I am 43.  So I guess to answer the question, never.  As long as I can still pedal I will ride.  Besides, I am only 5'6" so I look like a fat kid from a distance smile

I agree, I will be 54 next month, I own 2 20" bmx bikes and a 24" DK General Lee, I have back issues and a messed up knee, but, I still ride as often as I can..I am only 5'5", so, I too look like a lill fat girl, from a distance.....age is a number-it means nothing, especially when there are folks alot younger than I , that cant begin to get their fat behinds on a bike and ride !!! And, to be honest- they're the ones who give you the most verbal abuse, its called jealousy, they cant do it, so, they put us down because we still can. I don't plan on getting rid of my bikes any time soon, they are a part of me and as long as I can, I will ride and when I cant, then, well, the bikes will become show pieces...BMXer4Life !!!!cool

#10 2018-10-13 12:32pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me
Bikes: 20
For Sale: 7

Turned 50 2 days ago- heading out now for a ride on the Vector   big_smile

#11 2018-10-13 12:52pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

When Your Dead! big_smile

Needs - Tioga Comp Pool Tires
Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
Early Redline PL - 24 Forks
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
24" Irc Racer - X Tire -  In Black
Nos Clear GT Grips

#12 2018-10-13 12:54pm

KRUZNYO
Pro Member

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

When Your Dead! big_smile

BAM!!!!

Gods Of War!!!

#13 2018-10-13 1:33pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 5

When they start signing my paycheck, paying my bills, and buying my bikes then maybe i’ll listen. Until then, they can trump off!

-Joe

#14 2018-10-13 2:05pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 77

TEXMEXBMX wrote:

http://jcclothingcompany.com/andy-answers-when-are-you-too-old-to-ride-a-bmx-bike/

I was recently MCing a scooter comp when it occurred to me that I was conversing with scooter riders who shaved.

I thought to myself, ‘These guys ain’t kids anymore…they’re men!’, and I wondered how their girlfriends would feel having their post-pubescent boyfriends turn up outside their house to pick them up on a scooter.

After laughing in my head about the situation, I thought to myself, ‘I wonder if members of the public ask the same question of BMX riders that I was of scooter riders?’.

After all, BMX bikes are just kids bikes… right? I mean, I know there are plenty of men making plenty of money riding BMX bikes for a living, but the question still begged…

How old is too old to ride a BMX?

BMX is a strange sport, as it is dominated by riders in their late teens and early 20s and anyone approaching their 30s is often ridiculed by the younger prodigies and are considered over-the-hill.

The strange part comes in when you see 40 and 50-year-old riders and they have all the respect in the world from younger BMXers.

It makes no sense.

It’s like, “Hey look at the 30-year-old loser still riding BMX… get off the park old man!”, and then in the same breath, “Cool! Look at the really old guy giving it a go… respect!”.

So, when are you too old to ride a BMX? Going by the above example, you would have to say between the ages 30 and 40, but that really makes no sense.

I guess in my opinion, and not just because I fall within the aforementioned age group of 30 to 40-year-olds, I don’t think you could ever be too old to ride a BMX.

I mean, look at Matt Hoffman. He is BMX royalty and rode professionally right through his 30s!

So I guess as long as you are enjoying yourself, who gives a rip what anyone else thinks. BMX has always been and will always be primarily about having fun and there is no age limit on fun!

But one question remains… Does my attitude about BMX extend to scooters?

Well, it probably should but it doesn’t. If you ride scooters and your voice has broken… you need to get a BMX!

Andy Sawden is JC Action Sports’ resident MC and Athlete Manager. Have a question for him? Facebook us a reply to this article’s link! (Or else we will be forced to make something up!)

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#15 2018-10-13 3:34pm

Undercover Poe
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

crj1968 wrote:

Turned 50 2 days ago- heading out now for a ride on the Vector   big_smile

Nice. i have a birthday this month too. Happy birthday. And yes, when you are dead is when you are too old.

Last edited by Undercover Poe (2018-10-13 3:34pm)

#16 2018-10-13 6:27pm

TuRBo Todd
Pro Member
Bikes: 12

I didn’t quit when I turned 16, so my answer is “never!”  Pic from after my 50th bday. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/23202/89caeb4b-1d9a-4fdd-ab64-5017946db2435bc29b717d.jpeg

Founder/Owner, Azusa & Secret Cycles.

#17 2018-10-13 6:56pm

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY
Bikes: 23
For Sale: 25

^^^ Damn...

#18 2018-10-14 6:36am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

From my experience, like many professional athletes, I found that the best riding years were roughly between 25-35 for most people.  With over a decade of experience teamed with a fully formed set of skills and physical fitness, that's when riders can be at their peak.  So let's just stop everyone from thinking riding in their 30's is a big impediment.

Many of the guys on here still ride at a reasonably high level and have been doing so since the 80's.  We are the first generation to keep riding so it's not a matter of being too old but more like unusual because we are pioneers.  I have said, for over 20 years, "If I was fishing would you say I was too old?  If I was golfing would you say I was too old?  This is just what I do".

Stop thinking about limits, especially those put on you externally.  It's time to stop when it's not fun, other things in life are more important or you physically can't do it anymore.  That can happen at 13 or 75.

ride your bike until it breaks.

#19 2018-10-14 7:08am

kalel92198
Pro MemberUnleash The Beast
Bikes: 13

I have thought about this topic a lot and I am a person who really cares less what other people think of me. Never have, never will. I honestly think that if you physically can’t ride bmx anymore due to age then that categorically fits you into the “too old to ride bmx”.

Slap a tampon in it and call it a day!
ISO:85 mcs styler f/f
Nbd Kattsclawws67
Trades: back spin for front spin
Front steel pro class wheel for Gt fork

#20 2018-10-14 7:58am

eric12
Pro MemberThink For a Change

TuRBo Todd wrote:

I didn’t quit when I turned 16, so my answer is “never!”  Pic from after my 50th bday. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b717d.jpeg

Very cool

I'm 48 and starting to feel it in the joints these days. My youngest and I still ride. He's 14 and the big franker has gotten fast and I have a hard time keeping up with him. We broke out his Lil Ripper yesterday and put a longer stem/bigger bars on it and took turns terrorizing the neighborhood.  Must have been a sight to see with this old guy riding a pit bike. lol I'm still a kid at heart, but definitely not in the body.

When you can't move or are dead is when you are too old.

Being an adult is the dumbest thing I've ever done.

A Redline, the fastest way between two points.

You can even be 5th....   lol

Give A Shift!

#21 2018-10-14 5:34pm

ricar
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

North America was apparently slow with the scooter thing. Supposedly there were older kids tongue on scooters, like in their 20s in Australia and Europe before the scene really hit here. I don't know, my kids have scooters and I have to admit to rolling around the skate park on them a wee bit and having some fun. That being said, would I buy one and rock it? Not a chance.

As a side note: How many people have been smoked by some kid flailing a scooter around. I'm not saying they should be banned, but if you want to ban bikes, scooters are worse IMO.   

Are scooters an entry into BMX? Maybe. But now they have been around long enough that a kid who started scooters at 13 could be 23 and is just doing what he or she grew up with the way we grew up with BMX. I think Scooters may have carved out a bigger chunk of the skate market than the BMX market but it's hard to tell. So I'm trying to look at scooters as a viable sport but honestly, I can't. If I see some 16 year old on a scooter in my head I'm thinking step up. Stop waving that thing around like an idiot before you kill someone and get on a bike.

As far as age being a number... Yeah, it's a number that corresponds with how hard it is to get up or how long it takes me to stand straight after getting out of my car in the morning. Unfortunately the body changes with age and there is nothing we can do about it. I now need glasses to weld. Arthritis is taking a toll, etc... and I'm 45. I can't imagine 80!

Digging has caused tennis elbow and Vans, plantar fasciitis but I still get out and dig, and ride. I get into retirement homes and continuing care facilities and see people in their 80s playing tennis and people in their 60s drooling. I wonder about injuries and maybe those guys were studs and just got too hurt to play and became couch potatoes and that's why they are in that state. I walked up three flights of stairs with my 90 year old grandmother. She told me she hates it but if she doean't she will lose it.

I will keep riding as long as I feel like it, but I hope I never get to the point where I ride the couch as much as I rode my bike! lol

Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

I don't have enough faith to believe in evolution.

#22 2018-10-14 7:17pm

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3

wazza wrote:

I'm 51 now and out on the bmx rides we have here in England every month
when I'm riding I'm still 15 inside
one life just enjoy it

Man that sounds great! Makes me think im 33... if im going to ride that long i better start buying more bikes!!! big_smile

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#23 2018-10-14 7:20pm

ChrisHunt
Pro Member
Website

TuRBo Todd wrote:

I didn’t quit when I turned 16, so my answer is “never!”  Pic from after my 50th bday. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b717d.jpeg

WOAH !

82-86 NBL / Freestyl'n 83-86

#24 2018-10-14 8:49pm

bullseyejunkie
Pro Member
Bikes: 20

I still ride my BMX every day, well every working day for sure and most weekends.
I was asking myself the same question not to long ago, as I have just found out I have carpal tunnel in both hands and will need 2 operations. I was getting concerned that I may not be able to ride any more due to injury. 
Then I realized how much I will mis riding if it was taken away from me and decided I will not stop through any choice of my own. 
Don't care at all what other people think, I love life too much.

I don’t believe in god, I’m not that gullible.
Still livin the dream.

#25 2018-10-14 10:37pm

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
Website

I turned 51 last month, and I haven't stopped yet.  There's still so much more to ride....the journey continues.

1 9 7 7   R a c e   I n c.   R A - 7                                       1 9 7 9   R e d   L i n e   M X I I

Board footer

View Cart →