You are not logged in.

Handle Bar Positioning

#1 2010-07-14 10:50am

Surf911S
"Profile"
From: Las Vegas, NV
Registered: 2008-02-22
Posts: 1814
Bikes: 16
Offline

Handle Bar Positioning

Artical on handle bar position from a mag in 83 I think
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/AlcohollicA/DSC04606.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/AlcohollicA/DSC04607.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/AlcohollicA/DSC04610.jpg


81-86 Profile Compitition Racing Products Info Thread in the Reference section
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/AlcohollicA/DSC023791.jpg[/img]
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Offline

 

#2 2013-10-08 4:18pm

83GTLongPro
"I Hate Cruisers"
From: Glenwood Springs, CO
Registered: 2009-09-02
Posts: 630
Bikes: 9
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

This is awesome.!!!   How many of us have seen the guy with his bars forward like the last pic.?  How many actually had their bars that far forward??   lol


"If he was an ice cream, he'd be pralines and d!ck."

Offline

 

#3 2013-10-08 5:07pm

wired
Pro Member
From: 6202', CO
Registered: 2009-06-14
Posts: 4490
Bikes: 56
For Sale: 19
Website
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

You had to go and comment, didn't you...  wink

Offline

 

#4 2013-10-08 5:49pm

alainmagana
In Wonderland
From: Chicago
Registered: 2009-04-18
Posts: 8196
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

83GTLongPro wrote:

This is awesome.!!!   How many of us have seen the guy with his bars forward like the last pic.?  How many actually had their bars that far forward??   lol

That's how it was all the time in Chicago's local seen lol pimp style lol


Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

Offline

 

#5 2013-10-08 5:53pm

Kurt_Rad
Post Restriction
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 46198
Bikes: 97
Offline

Offline

 

#6 2013-10-09 8:13am

Coco
Moderator
From: Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 9607
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

alainmagana wrote:

83GTLongPro wrote:

This is awesome.!!!   How many of us have seen the guy with his bars forward like the last pic.?  How many actually had their bars that far forward??   lol

That's how it was all the time in Chicago's local seen lol pimp style lol

Not just Chicago. Here too on the Canadian priaries.

Offline

 

#7 2013-10-09 9:52am

j13
Centurion Member
From: SoCal
Registered: 2013-07-23
Posts: 207
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

I find completely vertical is best. it doesn't only feel nice it looks nice. backwards is cramped, and forward is killer on my back. cool article!

Offline

 

#8 2013-10-09 10:18am

Kurt_Rad
Post Restriction
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 46198
Bikes: 97
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy322/cash4bikes/bars.jpg

Offline

 

#9 2013-10-09 12:47pm

alainmagana
In Wonderland
From: Chicago
Registered: 2009-04-18
Posts: 8196
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

I guess I wasn't a serious rider growing up and sometimes I was ghetto lol


Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

Offline

 

#10 2013-10-09 1:05pm

Coco
Moderator
From: Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Registered: 2011-03-03
Posts: 9607
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

Notice how "perfectly vertical" is actually sitting forward. Nothing is perfectly vertical about that at all.

Last edited by Coco (2013-10-09 1:05pm)

Offline

 

#11 2013-10-09 1:26pm

RTH
Intermediate
From: Michigan
Registered: 2013-09-05
Posts: 412
Bikes: 13
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

Chicago style, here. But I am neither a racer nor a freestyler...mostly street riding with the kids. I will say though, that Chigago style served me well for many years doing hardcore trail riding. The extra leverage is great for the different terrains you encounter like gravel, sand and tall grasses. Then when you hit the pavement, you can shift extra weight to the front and really soar down hills as well as climb them a lot easier...which is great when you are rocking knobbies.

Offline

 

#12 2013-10-09 1:29pm

Kurt_Rad
Post Restriction
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 46198
Bikes: 97
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

I remember being "too far back" when I was like 6 lol

Offline

 

#13 2016-04-29 8:08pm

earljr75
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2016-03-07
Posts: 3
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

alainmagana wrote:

83GTLongPro wrote:

This is awesome.!!!   How many of us have seen the guy with his bars forward like the last pic.?  How many actually had their bars that far forward??   lol

That's how it was all the time in Chicago's local seen lol pimp style lol

Amen!

Offline

 

#14 2016-05-01 5:28am

ricar
Pro Member
From: Waterdown On Canada
Registered: 2015-02-28
Posts: 1671
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

Using an xl stem is no different than running the bars "Chicago". Same as the pic that shows perfectly vertical but shows the bars past vertical, it's not the "bar" but the grips that matter.


Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

I don't have enough faith to believe in evolution.

Offline

 

#15 2016-05-01 7:47pm

Crashman
ModeratorTo Get Me Riled
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 8296
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 3
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

Can't have my pullback pointing down, must do vertical or suffer limp wrist. And none of us would want that big_smile


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#16 2016-05-01 9:40pm

vwzx
Expert
Registered: 2012-11-20
Posts: 530
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

ricar wrote:

Using an xl stem is no different than running the bars "Chicago". Same as the pic that shows perfectly vertical but shows the bars past vertical, it's not the "bar" but the grips that matter.

Uhh no. If bars are slanted forward you are at greater risk of your stem slipping and bars slipping even more forward. Even a simple bunny hop can have you over the bars and eating the ground. It's not by accident that people who do more than just ride around the block (that's all I do big_smile) don't run their bars slanted forward.


83 Skyway TA
88 Free Agent cruiser
89 Auburn
92 PK Ripper

Offline

 

#17 2016-05-02 5:44pm

ricar
Pro Member
From: Waterdown On Canada
Registered: 2015-02-28
Posts: 1671
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

vwzx wrote:

ricar wrote:

Using an xl stem is no different than running the bars "Chicago". Same as the pic that shows perfectly vertical but shows the bars past vertical, it's not the "bar" but the grips that matter.

Uhh no. If bars are slanted forward you are at greater risk of your stem slipping and bars slipping even more forward. Even a simple bunny hop can have you over the bars and eating the ground. It's not by accident that people who do more than just ride around the block (that's all I do big_smile) don't run their bars slanted forward.

Uhhh Yeah... You connect to the bike through the grips, then through the bars and stem to the frame. Like the Vector bars that combine the two.  Running a longer stem puts your grips farther forwards the same way leaning the bars forwards would.  Regardless of the bars slipping, your weight is put forward - leaving you prone to going OTB. 

Not saying that you don't have a point, but your point does not negate my point.


Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

I don't have enough faith to believe in evolution.

Offline

 

#18 2016-05-02 6:26pm

pullmehome
Intermediate
From: Swoyersville,Pa
Registered: 2011-03-22
Posts: 307
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

ricar wrote:

vwzx wrote:

ricar wrote:

Using an xl stem is no different than running the bars "Chicago". Same as the pic that shows perfectly vertical but shows the bars past vertical, it's not the "bar" but the grips that matter.

Uhh no. If bars are slanted forward you are at greater risk of your stem slipping and bars slipping even more forward. Even a simple bunny hop can have you over the bars and eating the ground. It's not by accident that people who do more than just ride around the block (that's all I do big_smile) don't run their bars slanted forward.

Uhhh Yeah... You connect to the bike through the grips, then through the bars and stem to the frame. Like the Vector bars that combine the two.  Running a longer stem puts your grips farther forwards the same way leaning the bars forwards would.  Regardless of the bars slipping, your weight is put forward - leaving you prone to going OTB. 

Not saying that you don't have a point, but your point does not negate my point.

Your forgetting that when the bars are forward your grips not only sit further forward but lower too. Also the backsweep turns into a weird upsweep. I'm not saying what is right or wrong but bars geometry is never designed with the Chicago style in mind.

Offline

 

#19 2018-04-21 9:25pm

Murph80
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2018-03-25
Posts: 18
Offline

Re: Handle Bar Positioning

Chicago style / verticle for me.  Isn't 'ghetto' how Dee-Bo rode in Friday?

Offline

 

Board footer