You are not logged in.

is it just me? or are late 90's-early 2000' bmx bikes ugly as #@#@!  RSS Feed

#51 2013-08-27 7:36pm

Iceman
Pro MemberGrammar Patrol
Bikes: 2

Re: is it just me? or are late 90's-early 2000' bmx bikes ugly as #@#@!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/unobtainablebliss/Shortpump%20and%20Walmart/checkoutkatie.jpg

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round......

#52 2013-08-27 7:56pm

digilante
Centurion Member

i think a schwinn blue falcon with all the xs parts is one of the coolest looking bikes ever built
i wishes i has one
i think a cinelli mx is about the sweetest old school ever built i wishes i has one of those too
i never owned day - glo or pastel anything in the 80s and don't really feel like i missed out
i lied...i owned some pastel ocean pacific shorts bitd i had a horrible haircut to match

i think some of the nicest bmx stuff was built in the late 90s but maybe i feel this way because i was so far from bmx in the late 90s
the overbuilt thing makes flogging some of those 90s rides nearly impossible but i will say threaded headsets absolutely suck and i would only own a 1" threaded frameset out of nostalgia they ride for  poo

#53 2013-08-28 6:10am

trexxx44
Museum Addict
Bikes: 24

perront wrote:

This:
"Build and ride what you like and don't talk shit about the other eras of BMX. We're all in this together."

Agreeing to disagree about kids' bikes shouldn't be THAT hard to do, right, fellas?  Let's keep this fun and POSITIVE. cool

+1 !  cool

Dont just sit there..Bust a move..[img]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y414/trexxx441/hutch_zps19d3d923.jpg[/img]

#54 2013-08-28 7:12am

Dave Sausages
Centurion Member
Website

I love all the era's, and I'm not just saying that to be nice and fluffy. When I was growing up I loved the freestyle stuff, and regret wholeheartedly letting go of my ammaco freestyler. if I find the right one again I will buy it in a shot. The freestyler I have now is great to ride, for what it is, it does have its limits, but it just looks so damn cool. At that time I was not interested in other era's and was one of those that thought all new school looked the same, until I had a go on a mates Sunday and it opened my eyes and mind to what great pieces of kit they are, the lightness and tightness with the sealed BB and integrated headset was a revelation. Now I'm riding around on a 2009 felt chasm and I love it.

I also recently scored a hoffman d130 off a mate, and the half loop drop out and the odd bulky seatstay/chainstay/post junctions really appeal to me. Completes were weighing in at 36lb which is a bit lumpy, so it'll be interesting to see how mine adds up and how it feels to ride - can't wait! cool

we have the technology to create a new boogie - nocomply.org.uk

#55 2013-08-28 7:29am

hotrod
Expert
Bikes: 5

Every era had its junk. The stuff nobody was to proud of.  All the eras have something to be appreciated though.  I was riding in the 80s but I can sure appreciate not tightning my headset constantly. I forgot about that till my kids started riding the old school bikes we had built.

"the impossible just takes a little longer"

#56 2013-08-28 8:58am

alainmagana
Pro MemberIn Wonderland
Bikes: 3

I know the 95 Boss 24" where dope! They are a few from that era I wouldn't mind. Cannondale BMX bikes come to mind too. So I would say no. Not ugly.

Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

#57 2013-08-28 9:02am

beej1968
Pro Member
Bikes: 38

Barcode!

Last edited by my wife (Today 8:00am)

#58 2013-08-28 1:29pm

adamdawson
Pro MemberHoffman Overlord

this

chillywilly263 wrote:

Build and ride what you like and don't talk shit about the other eras of BMX. We're all in this together.

but

daygogt96 wrote:

adamdawson wrote:

what i collect/like has nothing to do with anything.

Yeah, your signature doesn't make you sound bitter at all....just sayin'

this kind of thread is why i have a signature like that. everyday for i dont even know how many years now is some stupid thread about" how newschool sucks, they all look the same or they all all flatt black"  "mid school is stupid"  etc etc over and over and over.  same shit.
i dont even go to the shows anymore because of it.  this place is next. hmm  ive been logging on less and less because of it.
may not be a big deal to some, but im dead sick of it. neutral

#59 2013-08-28 1:44pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 1

adamdawson wrote:

this

chillywilly263 wrote:

Build and ride what you like and don't talk shit about the other eras of BMX. We're all in this together.

but

daygogt96 wrote:

adamdawson wrote:

what i collect/like has nothing to do with anything.

Yeah, your signature doesn't make you sound bitter at all....just sayin'

this kind of thread is why i have a signature like that. everyday for i dont even know how many years now is some stupid thread about" how newschool sucks, they all look the same or they all all flatt black"  "mid school is stupid"  etc etc over and over and over.  same shit.
i dont even go to the shows anymore because of it.  this place is next. hmm  ive been logging on less and less because of it.
may not be a big deal to some, but im dead sick of it. neutral

looks like we got another one joining the club.  FYI I am a member of the clube!

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#60 2013-08-28 2:23pm

polterdeal
Pro Member
Bikes: 23

Mid-School is where all the R&D took place. Mid-School is the best era IMO. Love 80's, dig NS, but 89-2000ish is where it's at for me. Hoffman, Standard, etc...

"Why do I need a bag for my dimes?" asked a wise man once...

#61 2013-08-28 3:44pm

Larman
Centurion Member

Better than today's bike where you can't even tell a Sunday from a mirraco from a fit....

#62 2013-08-28 3:54pm

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

Larman wrote:

Better than today's bike where you can't even tell a Sunday from a mirraco from a fit....

Is this a serious answer?

Sunday's are the most distinguishable NS frames around.

To be honest,majority of the OS frames look the same too,alot of them had either looptails or the gimmicky framestands and what not,remove the decals and it's pretty hard to tell them apart from another.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 is $20!

#63 2013-08-28 4:00pm

Dave Sausages
Centurion Member
Website

Larman wrote:

Todays bikes are about pure riding, which is great, have you ridden one? so what if a lot of them look the same, they look similar for a reason, because the geo is nailed down. There is still a myriad of different parts that can be used to personalise a bike in the same way it has always been.

One of the people on here that puts a mean bike together is Wired, his builds really do it for me, I don't know him from adam, but his stuff really shows what you can do with different era stuff and a bit of imagination

we have the technology to create a new boogie - nocomply.org.uk

#64 2013-08-28 4:00pm

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

trexxx44 wrote:

perront wrote:

This:
"Build and ride what you like and don't talk shit about the other eras of BMX. We're all in this together."

Agreeing to disagree about kids' bikes shouldn't be THAT hard to do, right, fellas?  Let's keep this fun and POSITIVE. cool

+1 !  cool

Thanks, but I need to correct myself:  Let's keep this fun and non-confrontational! 

Nope -- that ain't gonna work, either! lol  How about fun and...devoid of personal attacks?  Yeah, let's roll with that. Thanks in advance, guys. cool

Last edited by perront (2013-08-28 4:03pm)

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#65 2013-08-28 4:09pm

esw
Museum Addict

trexxx44 wrote:

..and i've noticed as i'm sure other "old schoolers" have aswell..the bikes in the late 90's were ugly as s#@T!!

No it's not just you, all other era are awesome but that one. lol

Please ban me. Crazy you can't delete an account here. Seems like it would be a requirement of any forum. IDK...

Life it so too short to be a squishy leftist like most mods...

#66 2013-08-28 4:16pm

trexxx44
Museum Addict

perront wrote:

trexxx44 wrote:

perront wrote:

This:

+1 !  cool

Thanks, but I need to correct myself:  Let's keep this fun and non-confrontational! 

Nope -- that ain't gonna work, either! lol  How about fun and...devoid of personal attacks?  Yeah, let's roll with that. Thanks in advance, guys. cool

thats it! I'm taking my ugly Hutch and going home!  lol lol

Dont just sit there..Bust a move..[img]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y414/trexxx441/hutch_zps19d3d923.jpg[/img]

#67 2013-08-28 4:18pm

perront

trexxx44 wrote:

perront wrote:

trexxx44 wrote:

+1 !  cool

thats it! I'm taking my ugly Hutch and going home!  lol lol

Well, you KNOW people will still attack Hutches.  Good news is that they didn't survive the mid-school revolution, so they can't do it on this thread! lol

Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#68 2013-08-28 4:19pm

lord quas
Pro Membercan't think for myself

I love them all, the ugly ones, the heavy ones, the ones with BIG drop outs, the ones no older than 20. Wait...we talking about women, right?

" Since accident, Malvert sometimes pee red "  44T BMX Club, Chicago - small sprocket division.

#69 2013-08-28 4:24pm

perront

lord quas wrote:

I love them all, the ugly ones, the heavy ones, the ones with BIG drop outs, the ones no older than 20. Wait...we talking about women, right?

lol

Last edited by perront (2013-08-28 4:26pm)

FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!

#70 2013-08-28 4:54pm

Shredderkid
Banned

My 97 gt vertigo looks really similiar to the earlier 90's and late 80's freestyle bikes. Still has that same frame design by the seatpost for surfing, same gyro and handle bar design, same big front chainwheel.

Any bike with the really small front chain wheel and with the seat post buried into the frame is a huge turn off for me. I think that is 2000-2002+.

If guns are responsible for crimes, pencils are responsible for misspelled words.

#71 2013-08-28 5:10pm

Huryupanbuy
OPBC

Old school is cool to look at and cruise around...Mid school you can still bang out at the trails and street ride with most bikes and STILL not be afraid it'll snap on ya...Don't even think about gettin hit by a car...be able to ride away and get sued for damaging a front end(it'll never stick), but those tanks hold up.

It's just an opinion...Don't be mad, but....in my eyes, and a lot of others will probably agree...That you should try it before you knock it...Ugly or not they hold up...

Don't be scared of the newer...or New school...if you're an old school kinda person. Yes, it's just preference...Until you're actually riding and really find out.

Would you like a Fat Tire, Big Sprocket, or Short Rear End. Pick two.

#72 2013-08-28 5:32pm

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
Bikes: 8

This:

hotrod wrote:

Every era had its junk. The stuff nobody was to proud of.  All the eras have something to be appreciated though.  I was riding in the 80s but I can sure appreciate not tightning my headset constantly. I forgot about that till my kids started riding the old school bikes we had built.

And This:

Haro-83 wrote:

Ugly or not it's still a bmx to me.

Mostly This:

chillywilly263 wrote:

Without the 80's bikes, the midschool bikes wouldn't have been developed.  Without the 70's bikes, the 80's bikes would not have been what they were.  Bmx/freestyle bikes have always evolved and changed for the better.  Today's bikes are what they are because of all the bikes that were ridden, tested, and broken in the past.

I see many different types of bikes in here that don't fit my tastes, but they do fit others.  They are important to the history.  At some point in time, many of those bikes were there on Christmas morning or given as a birthday present.   Certain types of bikes connect to us in a personal way.  People shouldn't shit on that.

Personally, I love my 99 Schwinn Pro Stock.  I ride it 99% of the time.  It rides perfect and is a great looking bike.  My Pro Racer doesn't ride as well and my Pro Raider is too cramped.  So, no I don't share your sentiment about the late 90's- early 2000 bmx bikes

Just your typical Aggie Hutch owner. Gig'em.

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

#73 2013-08-28 5:43pm

trexxx44
Museum Addict

perront wrote:

lord quas wrote:

lol

lol lol

#74 2013-08-28 6:33pm

Larman
Centurion Member

Dave Sausages wrote:

Larman wrote:

Todays bikes are about pure riding, which is great, have you ridden one? so what if a lot of them look the same, they look similar for a reason, because the geo is nailed down. There is still a myriad of different parts that can be used to personalise a bike in the same way it has always been.

One of the people on here that puts a mean bike together is Wired, his builds really do it for me, I don't know him from adam, but his stuff really shows what you can do with different era stuff and a bit of imagination

The question was about looks, not riding geometry or anything. New school bikes typically all look the same to me... I guess that makes me a new school bmx racist?

#75 2013-08-28 6:35pm

Huryupanbuy
OPBC

or just canadian... lol

Would you like a Fat Tire, Big Sprocket, or Short Rear End. Pick two.

Board footer

View Cart →