You are not logged in.

Freestyle scooter said to be gaining popularity over skateboard & BMX?  RSS Feed

#51 2013-08-13 1:47pm

daygogt96
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 16

Re: Freestyle scooter said to be gaining popularity over skateboard & BMX?

HoosierDaddy wrote:

Well, I remember when the scooter started coming out back in the 80's and they were getting popular. Even featured in BMX Plus sometimes. Then they just kinda went away. Maybe people weren't ready for them as much as they might be right now. But, this being said, if scooters are the next big thing, we better go buy and hoard all the old school scooters we can because before you know it they will be worth tons of $$$. lol

Too late, I have them all.  lol I only have a few listed under my bikes because they banned them a year or so ago.   I ride my pro scoot along side my 2 young kids all of the time.  I'm eagerly awaiting a tough, hard core bmx'er to call me out in public.  lollol

Last edited by daygogt96 (2013-08-13 1:53pm)

"How much could you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"
- Tyler Durden

[img]http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/orjr101/bw-sanD-faction.gif[/img]

#52 2013-08-13 1:54pm

IPD
Pro Member
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 2
Website

they banned scooter submissions?  wtf!  the rules don't say anything about that on the submission page.  wtf.

It's like the man says, there's no problems...only solutions.

#53 2013-08-13 2:31pm

TEXMEXBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

IPD wrote:

they banned scooter submissions?  wtf!  the rules don't say anything about that on the submission page.  wtf.

This is clearly scooter discrimination.  What about the "Let's start a scooter thread" that pops up daily?

#54 2013-08-13 2:34pm

TEXMEXBMX
Pro Member

daygogt96 wrote:

HoosierDaddy wrote:

Well, I remember when the scooter started coming out back in the 80's and they were getting popular. Even featured in BMX Plus sometimes. Then they just kinda went away. Maybe people weren't ready for them as much as they might be right now. But, this being said, if scooters are the next big thing, we better go buy and hoard all the old school scooters we can because before you know it they will be worth tons of $$$. lol

Too late, I have them all.  lol I only have a few listed under my bikes because they banned them a year or so ago.   I ride my pro scoot along side my 2 young kids all of the time.  I'm eagerly awaiting a tough, hard core bmx'er to call me out in public.  lollol

Please post them on my website wwwscootermuseum.com that I started all by myself back on August 1, 2013.  thanks for sharing your scooter passion with me.

#55 2013-08-13 2:35pm

daygogt96
BMXer 4 Life

TEXMEXBMX wrote:

daygogt96 wrote:

HoosierDaddy wrote:

Please post them on my website wwwscootermuseum.com that I started all by myself back on August 1, 2013.  thanks for sharing your scooter passion with me.

will do, give me some time.  smile

- Tyler Durden

#56 2013-08-13 3:33pm

sfcobra65
For Sale Restricted

I still would like to get an answer on why my post of the Mongoose Pro Scooter I was given was moved.... I mean , there are 2 threads in this same Forum section , that are both several pages long about Scooters...

#57 2013-08-13 5:06pm

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
Bikes: 8

sfcobra65 wrote:

I still would like to get an answer on why my post of the Mongoose Pro Scooter I was given was moved.... I mean , there are 2 threads in this same Forum section , that are both several pages long about Scooters...

My guess is you have an admin or moderator who doesn't think scooters belong in the museum.  That would be the most logical guess.  They didn't delete your post, they just moved it.  But I can understand why you want an exact answer on why it was moved.  You may not get one though.

Last edited by cmb (2013-08-13 5:08pm)

Just your typical Aggie Hutch owner. Gig'em.

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

#58 2013-08-13 8:43pm

TEXMEXBMX
Pro Member

PK Scoot BMX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AWUPJu79hE

Watch Out - Scooters Takin' Over!

#59 2013-08-13 8:46pm

cliche guevara
Thoon The Goon
Bikes: 1

I like the scooters from the 80's. They were the shiznits! I had a Rad Scoot and my friend had a Zoot Scoot. We tore up the whole neighborhood on those things. I remember we had a lock-in at jr. high, and we snuck our scooters in. WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Down the halls, across the gym, bustin tricks on the short set of stairs, around the corner, and straight into the vice principal! D'oh! We knocked him down too, but he just laughed and told us no more riding in the school.

My son has a modern scooter with pneumatic tires. I think it is a Razor? I don't know - my parents found it somewhere and gave it to him for Christmas about 4 years ago and he loves the thing. I thought he wouldn't like it since every scooter he had before was one with the damned froot boot wheels!

That's the scooters I heap scorn and ridicule upon. No froot boot wheels on scooters!!!

I spent my life fighting the evils of capitalism and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

Guns don't kill people... Drivers with cell phones do.

#60 2013-08-13 10:27pm

IPD
Pro Member
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 2
Website

TEXMEXBMX wrote:

scooterproducts.co.uk?

that's a site for vespas & shit.

It's like the man says, there's no problems...only solutions.

#61 2013-08-13 10:46pm

sonikk71
Museum Addict

Burning River wrote:

I have no problem telling parents their kids look lame on a scooter and a bike or skateboard or both are what the Skate/BMX Parks were made for . The majority of these " Scooter Kids " are like 13-17 years old . They don't understand how a park flows , are all over the place and injure the shit out of people riding BMX or skating .

My son got hit in the head with a flying scooter and thankfully he was wearing his Bern helmet and was ok . The kid riding it was screwing around and lost it out of his hand . I picked the scooter up and threw it Incredible Hulk-style into the trees behind the skate park . lolcool

This sounds just like the complaints/excuses the skaters in my area use to keep BMX out of parks. Also never seen a bmx bike get loose or how about a skateboard? I have almost been hit many times by loose boards. I pay attention though so no big deal... I could make the same args for skateboards using your logic!

Burning River wrote:

skirkpat wrote:

Burning River wrote:

I have no problem telling parents their kids look lame on a scooter

Do they have any reservations about telling you to mind your own business or that your a douch ebag for saying it? lol

Honestly I really don't care , but when one of their idiot kids on a Scooter runs into a kid riding a bike or skating then I say something . I guess I should've emphasized that part . I don't go out of my way to start shit , but I'm not going to watch the Skate Scene I have been a  part of since 1988 in Cleveland , get ruined by goddamn Scooters . BMX / Skate community is 100% together on this . wink

Ahhh yes the scooters are ruining your "scene". LOL... how about taking some of the scooter kids under your wing and teaching them park flow, park etiquette etc?

Burning River wrote:

LOL..yeah I can see how that looks and sounds . I'm a very friendly person but I constantly look out for people whether I'm skating or riding at Ray's MTB . I would never go up to a kid and give them a hard time because they ride a Scooter...unless they pull some dick-move or act like a complete 'tard . Last Summer I saw some bad collisions and 75% of them were Scooters flying through the air because someone lost control , or plain weren't paying attention .

I have seen many bmxers and skaters that snake people, act like jerks, cut lines etc.

Need parts for a 1985 Haro Master.
My personal Holy Grails,
1985 Haro Master complete in Neon Green / Early 80s looptail PK with Graphites / Kuwahara Exhibitionist in White

#62 2013-08-13 11:06pm

sonikk71
Museum Addict

Truth is scooters are huge business right now and frankly I see many parallels with freestyle bmx when it was in its infancy. My 10 year old son rides BMX and scooters. He generally opts for his scooter as he is able to control his scooter easier. I mean think about it... he weighs 80 pounds. His dave mirra 16 inch bmx bike is 25 lbs. That would be like us trying to do tricks on a 60 lb bike. His awesome district scooter is 7.25 pounds. He is already doing 540s on quarters, double tailwhips, 360 whips etc on his scooter. When he develops muscles to handle a 20ish pound BMX bike he will have great control/skills. I mean he spent months trying to learn to just do a single whip on his bike. Once the BMX companies can build a light freestyle bmx bike maybe I will rethink scooters, but until then I am perfectly fine with him riding a scooter.

By the way haters check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7S5XHqgms

My personal Holy Grails,
1985 Haro Master complete in Neon Green / Early 80s looptail PK with Graphites / Kuwahara Exhibitionist in White

#63 2013-08-13 11:29pm

Charlie Brown
Pro MemberCB Doom

My view on it: anything that gets these kids out of the house and away from the the video games, making them physically and socially active, I'm all for it. I may think the razor scooters are insanely annoying at the skatepark, I have to stop, breathe, and remember: at least these kids are out and being active. I've got way more respect for a kid out on his roller blades or razor scooter than any kid locked up in his house zombied out on video games.

Be sure to follow my BMX restoration page on Instagram: charlies.bmx.restorations

#64 2013-08-14 4:44am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

Very true . At almost 37 , I have lost a bit of the hard-edge around me that I gained from skateboarding . It's all I had at times in my life , so I am very protective of it . Being a Father has made me more calm , well sometimes at least , lol .

Sonikk71 , I'm sorry man but you're not going to convince me otherwise . It's not the kids riding them but the culture it's bred . The kids riding BMX & Skating have always had a bond if even uneasy at times , a brotherhood . The Scooter crowd doesn't get that .

My " Scene " is me putting thousands of hours over almost 30 years , digging out spots , building ramps , speaking in front of City Council , donating my time and whatever parts , decks I have to kids in need . Anything to give the kids a place to ride .

" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#65 2013-08-14 5:12am

soulride
road rashed

This guy has some great flow here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq-XISNtuXA

I have to agree with Charlie on this. Whatever gets the kids out. I have one kid who hits the video games pretty hard and has to be reminded there are other things out there. I am fortunate that his bike is one thing that gets him out and exploring. I wouldn't argue with him if it was a razor scooter that was pulling him out the door. Great way to look at it!

You know, pools are perfect for holding water...

#66 2013-08-14 6:50am

daygogt96
BMXer 4 Life

Charlie Brown wrote:

My view on it: anything that gets these kids out of the house and away from the the video games, making them physically and socially active, I'm all for it. I may think the razor scooters are insanely annoying at the skatepark, I have to stop, breathe, and remember: at least these kids are out and being active. I've got way more respect for a kid out on his roller blades or razor scooter than any kid locked up in his house zombied out on video games.

Church...

- Tyler Durden

#67 2013-08-14 7:00am

72ss454
Pro MemberRETIRED SKATEBOARD COLLECTOR
Bikes: 4

Burning River wrote:

Very true . At almost 37 , I have lost a bit of the hard-edge around me that I gained from skateboarding . It's all I had at times in my life , so I am very protective of it . Being a Father has made me more calm , well sometimes at least , lol .

Sonikk71 , I'm sorry man but you're not going to convince me otherwise . It's not the kids riding them but the culture it's bred . The kids riding BMX & Skating have always had a bond if even uneasy at times , a brotherhood . The Scooter crowd doesn't get that .

My " Scene " is me putting thousands of hours over almost 30 years , digging out spots , building ramps , speaking in front of City Council , donating my time and whatever parts , decks I have to kids in need . Anything to give the kids a place to ride .

Sonikk71, I am with Burning River on this one.  My reason is that the majority of the time, the only reason most parks are built are due to skaters going before the city council.  This is why a lot of parks do not allow bikes.  The few that do are because there were a few bmx riders who went with the skaters or they went to a meeting after the park was built asking for equal share of the park.  So far, I doubt and scooter riders have been to a city council meeting, helped raise money for a park, or helped work on the park.

I think it is great to see a kid out on a scooter instead of inside playing his Playstation.  I had some odd Curb Cruiser as a kid that I rode until it fell apart.

I do not mind if someone goes to the park with a scooter or takes their kid to a park IF they know how to ride.  The last time I went to the park, there was a family that had two kids that may have been elementary age on skateboards.  Spent most of the time laying on the boards pushing with their hands or standing on the board only to shoot them across the park.  The park is small and not really a place to take beginners (not able to push and ride around a block).  I had to get one out of the bowl because he was too short to get out and I have no idea what kind of parent would think that it was a good idea to let their child go in the bowl in their Sponge Bob helmet and pads knowing that they could not ride a skateboard on flat ground, but this is what happens.  Skateparks are not playgrounds or daycare centers.  Todays young parents do not have any common sense.  Call me out on that if you want, but I was a dad at 18, divorced and a single dad by my 22 birthday and my son will be 18 in two months.  I never let him do the stupid things I see like I see everytime I go to a skate park.  I took him to a former tennis court that the city turned into a basketball court.  Made him wear real pads and taught him the basics and a few ways to stop, but the most important lesson was how to fall.lol

I keep buying and selling, so I guess I wasn't happy with the four I had left.

#68 2013-08-14 7:04am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

cool

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#69 2013-08-14 7:24am

soulride
road rashed

I don't have much time into a park scene, but it seems that if these kids don't have the direction, most of them are looking for it. If you volunteer yourself a little time to let them know risks and give them a checklist of things they should master before hitting the park a majority of them will listen. Especially if you let them know that when they come back you can offer up some advice and help them out after they have learned the basics. In other areas, this has been my experience. Kids don't know what they haven't learned. Especially if they haven't been taught.

You know, pools are perfect for holding water...

#70 2013-08-14 7:28am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

I don't skate Street , and the only time I'm at the parks is with my son . Otherwise I'm skating a 6ft. Mini at the skate shop or a pool or bowl if there's one to be found . cool

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#71 2013-08-14 7:59am

Cracked another frame
Chupacabra Rancher

My 2 1/2 yr old son rocks on his scooter, he even does a self taught trick riding it backwards with one hand or no hands.  Yesterday he got his first bit of road rash when he speed wobbled out on a hill, time for pads and a helmet! He likes my skateboard and wants to ride it but since he is not even 3 yrs old he has plenty of time and a bit more scooter training to get to that point. I think a scooter great thing for small kids to develope balance, maneuvering and to learn the good bad and ugly effects of gravity. The scooter has also given him more interest and curiosity about his Strider bike and pedaling his tricycle, best damn 70 bucks I have spent! Priceless GoPro footage is just an added bonus! lol

"It would appear that the strain was more than he could bear."
          Doc Holliday: [after killing Johnny Ringo]

#72 2013-08-14 8:07am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

^^^ I think they're great for balance for younger kids . cool

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#73 2013-08-14 3:17pm

sonikk71
Museum Addict

Burning River wrote:

Re-read your post. Really. I have no doubt you are a nice guy. You sound like your heart is in the right place. I just don't understand where all anti scooter thing comes from. I mean really do you put new skater kids through the wringer? They havent put in 30 years into your scene. They haven't gone to the meetings etc. Why do they get a pass but a kid on a scooter just searching for a place to have a scene doesn't?  You say the scooter crowd doesn't get the "bond if even uneasy at times , a brotherhood . ". How would you know? How involved are you in the scooter scene? Where I live there are some of the big pros in the scooter scene. I have met and ridden with a few. They have better etiquette than many of the skaters I ride with. This whole thing rings of "I like what I like and what you like sucks". Frankly there are dicks in each "scene" the scooter scene, the BMX scene, the skate scene. etc. You seem to care about kids in need so why not take the scooter kids under your wing too. I have done that and generally you would be surprised what you can teach a kid of you arent a jerk about it. I have corrected young skaters and young bmxers whose parents obviously have no idea about park flow etc. Try it they are just kids. the scooter kid you help might be the next Hoffman or Hawk.

My personal Holy Grails,

#74 2013-08-14 3:23pm

TEXMEXBMX
Pro Member

Burning River wrote:

^^^ I think they're great for balance for younger kids . cool

Speaking of Balance...Those kids balance bikes are hitting BMX tracks:

August 13 Article -
A FOUR-YEAR-OLD biker from Little Haywood will this week test his mettle against hundreds of other youngsters in the Strider British Balance Bike Championships at Birmingham’s Perry Park BMX track.

http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.u … 082013.htm

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y436/TEXMEXBMX/00511779-450x451_zps776f0db0.jpg

#75 2013-08-14 3:26pm

TEXMEXBMX
Pro Member

IPD wrote:

TEXMEXBMX wrote:

scooterproducts.co.uk?

that's a site for vespas & shit.

It was a joke

Board footer

View Cart →