A BMX recession?  RSS Feed

#51 2013-07-15 2:37pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 78
For Sale: 8
Website

Re: A BMX recession?

Frankly I don't care about trends or what the market is doing. I like bikes. That is not influenced by any of these external things and that will never change.

A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for everyone else.

#52 2013-07-15 2:51pm

troynlori
Moderator"Pedal Peddler"
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 108

I'd relax.  If it get's bad enough, there will be a government bailout...mark my words!

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#53 2013-07-15 2:59pm

Jerry A Hutcher
BMXer 4 Life

JS-44SDS wrote:

chevans1 wrote:

jakehigh5 wrote:

You must be talking about ignorance...you proved your point.

Your right , it's not just Obama but our whole government.

Correct-it is a systemic issue that started decades ago....look up your history. 

A Republican.

Yup!!Our government dont help the issue...all crooks....

#54 2013-07-15 3:28pm

rosie25
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 184

Kurt_Rad wrote:

BMX is dead? Cool. Will that make stuff worth more? That's what I'm here for...

lollol

Will NOT DEAL WITH
members-TerrenceBerg, similarion, ford1981, DIAMONDMAN2017, or Omdae EVER. BEWARE.

#55 2013-07-15 4:30pm

jumpin jim
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

The OP is crying wolf IMO.

Who cares? 
Maybe the price of some of the cheap crap people are producing will come down? big_smile

#56 2013-07-15 5:13pm

DI2CCO
Pro Member
For Sale: 30

Old schools sales UP... New school sales DOWN. Economics wink

Ride On!

#57 2013-07-15 5:26pm

cyclone
Centurion Member
Bikes: 17

Obama could give BMX a boost if he rode a PK on the White House lawn, maybe bunny hop Newt or something.

Last edited by cyclone (2013-07-15 5:26pm)

#58 2013-07-15 5:47pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

DI2CCO wrote:

NS Sales are not all down . 8/10 kids I see riding BMX are riding new FIT's , Sunday's , Eastern's , etc...

" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#59 2013-07-15 7:45pm

bmxerpete
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

badmofo wrote:

Don't laugh Pete, I see GHP is making a new scooter that's almost $200  wink

http://www.ghpbmx.com/scooters.html

Oh I know, we actually have quite a few dealers that buy grips and headsets from us just for scooters. I figure if it gets kids off their ass and out to the skatepark then it's all good, whether it's a bmx bike, a scooter, hell even a set of fruit-boots. I think the scooter trend is taking off again because it's way easier for the average 8 year old to learn a tailwhip on a 6 pound scooter as opposed to a 25 pound bike. As someone who loves bmx and works in the bmx industry I'd much rather see them on a bmx bike, but as long as they're out riding something it's all good.
In response to the OP's question, the bmx market ebbs and flows just like any other market. Street/park bike sales are slowing right now due to scooters, but racing stuff is on an upswing. Hell, Las Vegas had over 300 motos. That's great news for us as a big part of our sales are race oriented.

#60 2013-07-15 7:47pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Website

DI2CCO wrote:

That's not economics. That's a statement. I think they are different.

#61 2013-07-15 7:50pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Website

Burning River wrote:

DI2CCO wrote:

NS Sales are not all down . 8/10 kids I see riding BMX are riding new FIT's , Sunday's , Eastern's , etc...

Agreed.

And about the video game, iPhone theory I don't entirely agree. I see a ton of local classifieds where kids are wanting to trade their electronic devices for bmx bikes, but maybe it's different in Merica. If I had the cash I would buy a bike for each kid posting an ad like this because they get it wink

#62 2013-07-15 9:54pm

Jeno007
Defender of The Universe
Bikes: 13

bmxerpete wrote:

badmofo wrote:

Don't laugh Pete, I see GHP is making a new scooter that's almost $200  wink

http://www.ghpbmx.com/scooters.html

Oh I know, we actually have quite a few dealers that buy grips and headsets from us just for scooters. I figure if it gets kids off their ass and out to the skatepark then it's all good, whether it's a bmx bike, a scooter, hell even a set of fruit-boots. I think the scooter trend is taking off again because it's way easier for the average 8 year old to learn a tailwhip on a 6 pound scooter as opposed to a 25 pound bike. As someone who loves bmx and works in the bmx industry I'd much rather see them on a bmx bike, but as long as they're out riding something it's all good.
In response to the OP's question, the bmx market ebbs and flows just like any other market. Street/park bike sales are slowing right now due to scooters, but racing stuff is on an upswing. Hell, Las Vegas had over 300 motos. That's great news for us as a big part of our sales are race oriented.

Its not that way in my area, racing sales took a down turn, along with Park and Flat. It's turning to fixies and scooters, BTW, I rode those "Fruit Boots", but I keep noticing tights  and fixies and scoots, and sad to say skateboarding are synonymous. Sorry, sad but true, P.S. I still skateboard, I only left for "Fruit Boots" due to knee surgery.

Anything is negotiable.

#63 2013-07-16 12:42am

Anees
Bikes: 1

bmxerpete wrote:

In response to the OP's question, the bmx market ebbs and flows just like any other market.

The question is whether it's just a slowdown in BMX or whether the new school BMX market is set for an implosion on a scale similar to the early 90s. Few kids (in my locality at least) are into old school so really this is a separate market for older enthusiasts like us. Racing is a minority interest and flatland is dead which leaves park / street as the main market.

If BMX does completely implode then it will result in a situation where something like only 30% of all kids have a bike of one description or another. Kids mountain bike sales have declined every year since the millennium and it is showing no sign of reversing. The BMX is now the norm for kids bikes unless its for off-road riding or long distance travel.

#64 2013-07-16 2:33am

Advan
Pro MemberHey Santa, you geriatric wanker...where's my bike?
Bikes: 34
For Sale: 2

I feel it's market over saturation and a lot of manufacturers' lowering prices to try and retain some type of market share.  Everyone slowed up production from 2009-2011, then went bonkers in 2012 fearing they might miss out.  Well, the market did not quite catch up and now there is more supply than demand.  My $.07 worth, adjusted for inflation.

Wanted- White Industries Freewheel 19T and 20T, and Big Gulp bars- because I think they look goofy enough to cruise with!

#65 2013-07-16 4:49am

Jeno007
Defender of The Universe

big_smile

Anything is negotiable.

#66 2013-07-16 5:47am

bmxerpete
Pro Member

Jeno, we still love ya, even though you were a fruit booter... lol

Anees, few kids anywhere are into old school. Generally kids will be into it only if their parent(s) or an older sibling introduce them to it. There are a few kids who get into it on their own, but they're few and far between. People want the latest greatest of anything, whether it's bikes or phones or whatever.

#67 2013-07-16 6:10am

Ikilledit
Pro Member
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 2

Jerry A Hutcher wrote:

its every thing and every where not just bmx...thank Obama!

+1000

Last edited by Ikilledit (2013-07-16 6:10am)

Just want to let everyone know, when I list something for sale PLEASE ready the description completely and follow the directions so there isn’t any issues! When members call dibs and then disappear it holds the item up for someone who is ready to purchase said item.

#68 2013-07-16 6:44am

D1976
Pro Member

It seems like the market is oversupplied.  There are so many very similar companies that offer nearly identical lines of Taiwanese products.  I think it's getting to be like skating was in the 90's, where every board was more or less identical, so if you wanted to pick one, you might as well just pick the artwork you liked the best.  The good news is that most of those products are actually pretty well made and work well.  The bad news is that I think we'll see a lot of these companies go away, just because there's so many of them, and they're not all that remarkable or memorable.       

I don't think having similar product lines are necessarily bad though.  It just means we just have better idea of what WORKS now.  In the past manufacturers were putting straight up unusable steps and standing platform just about anywhere on bikes with the hopes that someone would invent a trick that needed them that would make them the next big trend.  Even in the 80's, there were just a handful of bikes and parts that the hardcore progressive riders used.  It really only took a couple of years to filter out all the stuff that didn't work for freestyle.  There's a reason a lot of that stuff went away and never came back.     

Bikes themselves have been more or less the same for about half a decade now.  Integrated headsets, heat treated, mid BB, lightweight, short back end, etc.  A 2005 frame is more or less the same as a 2013 frame, so as long as the frame is in good shape, there's not as much of a push to upgrade like there was in the past.  Durable frames (early 90's), 1 1/8" headsets (mid 90's) and lighter weight/mid BB (mid 00s) were all light year jumps.  We haven't had one of those in a while. 

Also, BMX as a spectator sport has been in more or less a similar holding pattern for the last 10 years or so.  Teenagers now don't remember a time when there wasn't the XGames or Dew Tour.   They don't remember when BMX comps didn't have a mega ramp.  All that stuff is just normal riding to them, and they've seen it again and again for years.  Kids have a short attention spans.  Sure, every now and then someone will throw a new air variation that's never been done before (triple flips, backflip bikeflip to late tailwhip) but lately those innovations haven't been seen with the reverence that the first 900, or the first double flip, had back when they were new.  New air variations are getting so complicated that there's a real risk that it will get to be like flatland, where the average spectator has no idea what is going on.  It's worth mentioning that flatland plummeted in popularity as it got more and more abstract, and therefore less appealing to average spectators.   

Finally, BMX doesn't seem to have a new, young, standout, charismatic pro at the moment.  Someone like that draws kids into the sport.  I keep waiting for the BMX version of someone like Kelly Slater, Travis Pastrana, Ryan Sheckler, or Paul Rodriguez to come along.  Someone with mainstream crossover appeal.  Apart from maybe Mirra or Hoffman, BMX has never really had someone like that.

#69 2013-07-16 7:40am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Website

Bmxonomics is my favorite subject. Just like spelling is fresstyle freek's favorite...

#70 2013-07-16 7:49am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

Oh shit . lollollol

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#71 2013-07-16 4:26pm

DI2CCO
Pro Member
For Sale: 30

Kurt_Rad wrote:

DI2CCO wrote:

That's not economics. That's a statement. I think they are different.

Really!

Ride On!

#72 2013-07-16 5:01pm

Jeno007
Defender of The Universe

bmxerpete wrote:

Jeno, we still love ya, even though you were a fruit booter... lol

Anees, few kids anywhere are into old school. Generally kids will be into it only if their parent(s) or an older sibling introduce them to it. There are a few kids who get into it on their own, but they're few and far between. People want the latest greatest of anything, whether it's bikes or phones or whatever.

lol Thanks, funny made me go get my "fruit boots" out of the attic and hit the park today after thinking about it. lol

Anything is negotiable.

#73 2013-07-16 5:11pm

CanadianBMX
Museum Addict
Bikes: 33

I don't know about BMX , but the north american economy is defientely in a recession now

Of course you can the blame the government , free trade , Nafta , Bush , Obama , Clinton , etc ...

Outsourcing manufacturing to China and us supporting that by shopping at Walmart and buying cheap disposable chinese junk is also to blame .

Had everyone bought american made products instead of imported products ( eg: cars and trucks ) we would have tens of thousands more jobs in the country , let alone millions more pumped into the economy .

But being selfish , ignorant , and short sighted , bought Toyotas and Hyundais and filled them up with plastic chinese made disposable junk from Walmart ...

What's even worse is that as people lose their jobs and standard of living , then they don't even have a choice anymore , they have to shop at walmart and eat at mcdonalds .

Just look at the northeast , former manufacturing capital of the world , most if not all factories are closed , once prosperous cities like Detroit , Pittsburgh , Cleveland , Chicago , Windsor , London , St thomas , etc are now all ghettos with unemployment over 20% , overrun with crime and poverty . No one cares unless they are directly affected .

It has been proven over and over that no economy can be prosperous without a manufacturing sector , that leaves only lower paying service industry jobs for most .

I don't see a bright economic future for north america , empire is already crumbling . Eastern Canada is also in a huge recession right now , mostly due to southern ontario's dependance on manufacturing sector , and Quebec/Ontario's dependance on the US economy as far as trade and tourism goes .

Fortunately Alberta is doing very well due to its oil industry , and BC ( where I live now ) is pretty much untouched by the recession due to a huge influx of foreign investment from China in real estate .

As far as BMX , I have been selling off valuable/collectable stuff for a long time now , I think prices have peaked a year or 2 ago . As people make less money and lose jobs , less and less will be able to justify spending tons of money on "kids bikes" they do not even ride as a mid life crisis type of thing . Collectible stuff in general will lose value as wages , standard of living drops .

just my 2 cents ....

I collect/hoard/fix/buy/sell BMX bikes , vintage road bikes , cruisers , mtb , bikes in general ....
Also do the same with old school chevys and classic cars/trucks

#74 2013-07-16 5:18pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

I live in Cleveland and everything you said is on point 100% .

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#75 2013-07-16 5:18pm

bmxerpete
Pro Member

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n36/pete355/fruitboot2_zpsa0d7b05c.jpg

lol I kid, I kid...  tongue lol

Board footer

View Cart →