#51 2009-09-09 4:02pm

freedo
Pro MemberWhite Boy With An Afro
Bikes: 52
For Sale: 3

Re: Racers! Lets see your race sleds.

out with the new in with the old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile
mongoose decade guru, hit me up with any questions you may have
R.I.P  Autumn Pasquale. May she rest in Peace!
Instagram! @freedo70

#52 2009-09-09 4:02pm

CythoN
Trail Boss
Bikes: 17

I dont think it gets worse than this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LDYsdTgz5U
If he didnt have a full face helmet on he would need facial reconstruction...

#53 2009-09-09 4:05pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 13

i guess ill post my bikes... does raced and not racer still count ??? wink

http://i40.tinypic.com/25fn61e.jpg
raced it for about a month before i messed up my foot pretty bad in a unrelated accident.
the best i ever placed was 2nd. (for the day, not a given heat). my mom has the 'single' trophy i think.

it was a hole shooting monster. crazy fast out of the gate and on the straits.
but hitting loose dirt curves and making it out alive .. that was a different matter entirely big_smile

http://i39.tinypic.com/21eoxoh.jpg
this started its life as a friends weekly racer. on this bike he was very successful and won tons of races.
after the season ended he stored it and got a cruiser. several years later he fell on hard times and
needed to borrow a good bit of money. i lent him the funds but he never could get his ducks in a row
to pay me back. his collection is what i wound up with as payment.

i completely changed the bike after i got it (due to a BUNCH of drama that i already went into in
another thread a good while ago). only about 25% of 'his' bike is still here.

Last edited by Draw (2009-09-09 4:09pm)

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#54 2009-09-09 4:08pm

Vert1go

tommydone wrote:

Vert1go wrote:

Just wondering, why are some of you guys using face masks still?  There's no way I would not use a full face helmet.

because I am too pretty to hide myself behind a full face.I have been using an open face since 1983 and see no need to change

You will see a need, but only after it's too late.  You should think about that.  Today's tracks are a heck of a lot faster and more dangerous than they were in 1983.

#55 2009-09-09 4:11pm

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!
For Sale: 10

Tommy talk to ROB K your cruiser rider, Ask him why he wears a full face, I love you man, but you  gotta realize, things have changed, we are older and we have to protect ourselves.

If I Will Throw An Elbow To My Best Friend  In A Turn,what Makes You Think I Wont Do It To You????????????

Former National 29 35-40x  -NBL
2010 2011 Regional #3  NBL

2019 district 174 USABMX

#56 2009-09-09 4:11pm

NewMidMike
Pro Member
Bikes: 30
For Sale: 1

Vert1go wrote:

tommydone wrote:

Vert1go wrote:

Just wondering, why are some of you guys using face masks still?  There's no way I would not use a full face helmet.

because I am too pretty to hide myself behind a full face.I have been using an open face since 1983 and see no need to change

You will see a need, but only after it's too late.  You should think about that.  Today's tracks are a heck of a lot faster and more dangerous than they were in 1983.

Damn, I saw you were the last reponse and thought maybe you had pics of the green GHP.  I CANNOT wait to see what you do there.

New Orleans via Steamboat Springs, CO via New Orleans

#57 2009-09-09 4:13pm

OneBigRush
Museum Addict
Bikes: 13

Here is a pic of me and my Black Market at the NBL Grands last weekend.  Got 3rd in the UGP 30+ Open on Friday night.  Went 2.2.2 in my motos in 35-39 cruiser.  No main!  That class is FAST.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/CClineZ06/UGPOpen2.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/CClineZ06/grands09_fri_116.jpghttp://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/CClineZ06/UGPOpen1.jpg

"Chris C" is my name on VintageBMX.com
*Modded 2002 Z06
*Ibanez JS signed by Joe Satriani, RG470, Alvarez acoustic

#58 2009-09-09 4:15pm

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!

I was watching that, wish I knew all you guys moto's

If I Will Throw An Elbow To My Best Friend  In A Turn,what Makes You Think I Wont Do It To You????????????

2019 district 174 USABMX

#59 2009-09-09 4:16pm

Draw

Vert1go wrote:

tommydone wrote:

Vert1go wrote:

x2
kinda a shame too. the old tracks were loose dirt and mostly had flat curves, i even remember mud.
getting around them fast took lots of leg strength and fend them off skills.

todays overly paved 'super speedway' tracks are kinda lame IMO. they are also very intimidating for new riders.
(and i mean new to bmx racing, not new to bikes like a 6 y.o.)

Last edited by Draw (2009-09-09 4:17pm)

#60 2009-09-09 4:17pm

tommydone
Banned
Website

You have to know HOW to crash.I have a fullface and I hate it,I can't see a damned thing with it on.I would have to stop racing if they forced me to wear one.I don't think that the tracks today are faster,not at all.you pedal to the first turn and then pump/manual until the next turn.That is such a tired argument.The tracks are faster and more dangerous is nonsense.

#61 2009-09-09 4:19pm

tommydone
Banned
Website

freedo wrote:

was that the bike that was stolen from you?

no I never got it back..that is my replacement

#62 2009-09-09 4:22pm

Draw

pump.. thats the word i was trying to think of when describing todays tracks.

#63 2009-09-09 4:25pm

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!

Tommy you are stubborn, I love you, But it is called learning to adapt. After all you did not like clips, but you are now racing in them.

2019 district 174 USABMX

#64 2009-09-09 6:18pm

silverhw
Wheel Smith

Older,but I love it.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w101/silverhw/004.jpg

Looking for a set of 79-80 dura ace cranks.
Looking for an early to mid 90's RObinson cruiser F/F.

#65 2009-09-09 6:21pm

Vert1go

NewMidMike wrote:

Vert1go wrote:

tommydone wrote:

Damn, I saw you were the last reponse and thought maybe you had pics of the green GHP.  I CANNOT wait to see what you do there.

Thanks man. It's going to be over the top, trust me.  I'll have photos soon. I'm putting about $4000 (or more) into this one.

#66 2009-09-09 6:43pm

Vert1go

tommydone wrote:

You have to know HOW to crash.I have a fullface and I hate it,I can't see a damned thing with it on.I would have to stop racing if they forced me to wear one.I don't think that the tracks today are faster,not at all.you pedal to the first turn and then pump/manual until the next turn.That is such a tired argument.The tracks are faster and more dangerous is nonsense.

Can't see?  I don't understand - if every single pro out there can race with them, and supersport motorcycle racers can, how come you can't see with it on?  As for knowing how to crash, no comment there - you're assuming you'll be in complete control of every crash. Wrong.  And yes, tracks are much faster than they were 20 years ago, I have no idea how you can dispute this, unless you don't remember what tracks were like in the 1980s.

#67 2009-09-09 6:54pm

NewMidMike
Pro Member

Vert1go wrote:

NewMidMike wrote:

Vert1go wrote:

Thanks man. It's going to be over the top, trust me.  I'll have photos soon. I'm putting about $4000 (or more) into this one.

Try some Industry9 hubs.   That way I can get an opinion...lol.  I'm thinking of getting some myself.

#68 2009-09-09 7:00pm

Vert1go

NewMidMike wrote:

Try some Industry9 hubs.   That way I can get an opinion...lol.  I'm thinking of getting some myself.

I already have an Industry-9 custom wheel set on order. smile

#69 2009-09-09 7:04pm

NewMidMike
Pro Member

Vert1go wrote:

NewMidMike wrote:

I already have an Industry-9 custom wheel set on order. smile

Very nice.  Let me know how you like 'em.

#70 2009-09-09 7:12pm

adamt860
Banned
Bikes: 5

Just finished it Friday.http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo260/adamt860_2008/008-31.jpghttp://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo260/adamt860_2008/007-37.jpg

!!!Want to buy a Mid-School PROFILE seat!!!

#71 2009-09-09 7:26pm

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 26

Have all the componets to complete it (took awhile to find the specific parts I wanted) - just have not decided to sell it or finish and race it -undecided. tongue

'08 S&M .38sp 24" Chrome f/f/bars - Sick set of Sun Envy's with Profile High Flange cass hubs:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/Minx20/tn_DSC01701.jpg

Last edited by Minx20 (2009-09-09 7:32pm)

#72 2009-09-09 8:31pm

MADDAWG
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 16

Minx20 wrote:

Have all the componets to complete it (took awhile to find the specific parts I wanted) - just have not decided to sell it or finish and race it -undecided. tongue

'08 S&M .38sp 24" Chrome f/f/bars - Sick set of Sun Envy's with Profile High Flange cass hubs:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/ … C01701.jpg

Dang Minx that one sick machine

.                       IL/WI Border area O.G.O.A.R.                            

Rule #9 :If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

#73 2009-09-09 8:46pm

MADDAWG
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 16

Vert1go wrote:

My GHP Pro XXL - this bike has only seen track time, never ridden on the street.

http://i26.tinypic.com/152ykgl.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/2m3mt8j.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/5yrqzn.jpg

Talk about a Thoroughbred , WOW speechless

.                       IL/WI Border area O.G.O.A.R.                            

Rule #9 :If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

#74 2009-09-10 2:09am

tommydone
Banned
Website

Vert1go wrote:

tommydone wrote:

Can't see?  I don't understand - if every single pro out there can race with them, and supersport motorcycle racers can, how come you can't see with it on?  As for knowing how to crash, no comment there - you're assuming you'll be in complete control of every crash. Wrong.  And yes, tracks are much faster than they were 20 years ago, I have no idea how you can dispute this, unless you don't remember what tracks were like in the 1980s.

what I said was that I cant see.and I am claustrophonic.the tracks are smother ,yes.but faster ?not really.york pa was downhill all the way.as was pheonixville,pa with lots of room to pedal.and yes you have to know HOW to crash.when you go down,tuck and roll.I have been doing it since 1983 so I think I can say it works.

and ANT ,I am TRYING out these stupid pedals.I still think they should be outlawed by the sanctions but if I am going to have an opinion I think I should be informed on both sides of the argument.So far I dont really feel any difference

#75 2009-09-10 2:13am

OneBigRush
Museum Addict
Bikes: 13

tommydone wrote:

Tracks faster today or not?  I suppose you can argue that all day.  But, having just gotten back from the NBL Grands in Louisville, and raced at Evansville, I can tell you those tracks are PLENTY fast - down hill, and big.  LIke many of you, I raced a TON in the 80s and raced some of these same tracks.  The interesting thing about pump and manual is that if you know how to do it well, you pick up speed doing it.  Watch Jeff Upshaw in any rhythm section.  Also, the whole art of hitting the back sides of jumps is more honed in and you can pick up speed that way. 

All I am saying is that today's tracks are plenty fast (the good ones), and at 39 years old, the full face is the only way I will ride.  Going to school at 16 with a battle scar is cool.  Going to work at 39 is not.  Missing work at 39 because of a BMX injury is even worse.

I agree you can learn "how to fall".  I truly do.  But some wrecks you just end up out of control, like when a chain breaks or something.

I do like that full face aren't madatory, I guess, so people can run what they want.  But, I won't even ride at Ray's without my full face.

"Chris C" is my name on VintageBMX.com
*Modded 2002 Z06
*Ibanez JS signed by Joe Satriani, RG470, Alvarez acoustic

Board footer

View Cart →