#551 2019-10-02 3:23pm

maligator
Intermediate

Re: Racers! Lets see your race sleds.

Gylles Smyth wrote:

maligator wrote:

Check this out y'all.

https://i.ibb.co/nQ97XWW/20.jpg

Granted, not quite the same distance and angle and the front wheel is slightly turned on the Redline.  But, compare the frame geometry to the Ssquared I posted above.  Yikes, the Redline is slack on the angles!  Part of the reason I wanted a change was I knew the seat angle on the Redline was slack which shortened the rider area.  But, I just assumed the head tube angle was at a decent race angle.  That's gotta be, what, 72 or less on the head tube?!  Why would the do that on a supposed race 20 inch?  It's like a mountain bike in angles on a 20 inch frame.  Okay, maybe a little exaggerated, but...  I looked a little, but couldn't find the 2019 Redline Proline geometry posted anywhere.

Goes to show there's more to picking a bike/frame than just the top tube number.

I found the stats below for the Pro-XXL 2019 Proline.  Still, comparing my Skyway T/A to bikes I've ridden since, even if the geometry seems comparable when looking at the numbers, there can still be a really noticeable difference in how it feels, especially out on a track.

Geometry:

Top Tube: 21.75"
Head Angle: 74
Seat Angle: 70
BB Height: 11.5"
Chainstay: 15.5"

There's no way it's a 74 HT angle.  They're fibbing on that one.  It's 72 at most.  I have it together as all but wheels and cranks, and was out eyballing it to the cruisers and Ssquared earlier.  The HT on the Proline 20 inch is the most laid back of 'em all.

Everything else seems about right though.  Either I got an early on faulty one, or Redline is fudging some numbers on the HT angle.  Disappointing if Redline isn't being upfront about that.

The Ssquared is giving me at least an inch more rider area no matter which way I measure it.  So, I'm happy to have made the move.  Now, to see how it feels riding the Ssquared around the track.

#552 2019-10-03 6:13am

toobs421
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

https://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/bgarbarine8/IMG_9722_zpsfnbo1dwt.jpeg

Supercross Pro XL Frame and fork and bars
Crupi Pedals
Crupi Crank
Crupi Hubs

#553 2019-10-03 6:35am

maligator
Intermediate

Nice bike, toobs!

I took my new black Ssquared to gate practice last night.  I'd forgotten how much black shows the dirt!  Gotta wipe em down more often huh?

#554 2019-10-03 3:14pm

MickRich393
Pro Member
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 10
Website

toobs421 wrote:

https://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh … o1dwt.jpeg

Crupi Pedals
Crupi Crank
Crupi Hubs

Need to see some more pics of that bad boy! Going to submit it to the Museum?

#555 2019-10-03 3:42pm

Ralph Wiggum
Pro Memberchillywilly263 1%er
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 1

toobs421 wrote:

Crupi Pedals
Crupi Crank
Crupi Hubs

Love it!

I’m not a real doctor but I am a real worm

#556 2019-10-06 12:06pm

gunnermg1
Pro Member
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 2

Ssquared 24" CEO XXL race cruiser.  Best bike I've ever owned.   Smooth as silk. (Image deleted)

Want to buy:

*Redline forklifter cruiser bars / aluminum / red anodized

#557 2019-10-06 1:19pm

ChaseDyno-Bmx
Pro MemberMuseum Ambassadorship Apprentice

Nice Rig    , Clean color way Choices/\

I had Fun For A Year With Y’all.    All My BMx Are Sold Or Given Away.    I’m Out!!

#558 2019-10-07 7:28am

toobs421
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

MickRich393 wrote:

toobs421 wrote:

Crupi Pedals
Crupi Crank
Crupi Hubs

Need to see some more pics of that bad boy! Going to submit it to the Museum?

Sure I will post some more photos, how do I submit to the museum? Not super familiar with this site. Thanks!

#559 2019-11-11 11:00am

ibecruising

maligator wrote:

Gylles Smyth wrote:

maligator wrote:

Check this out y'all.

https://i.ibb.co/nQ97XWW/20.jpg

Granted, not quite the same distance and angle and the front wheel is slightly turned on the Redline.  But, compare the frame geometry to the Ssquared I posted above.  Yikes, the Redline is slack on the angles!  Part of the reason I wanted a change was I knew the seat angle on the Redline was slack which shortened the rider area.  But, I just assumed the head tube angle was at a decent race angle.  That's gotta be, what, 72 or less on the head tube?!  Why would the do that on a supposed race 20 inch?  It's like a mountain bike in angles on a 20 inch frame.  Okay, maybe a little exaggerated, but...  I looked a little, but couldn't find the 2019 Redline Proline geometry posted anywhere.

Goes to show there's more to picking a bike/frame than just the top tube number.

I found the stats below for the Pro-XXL 2019 Proline.  Still, comparing my Skyway T/A to bikes I've ridden since, even if the geometry seems comparable when looking at the numbers, there can still be a really noticeable difference in how it feels, especially out on a track.

Geometry:

There's no way it's a 74 HT angle.  They're fibbing on that one.  It's 72 at most.  I have it together as all but wheels and cranks, and was out eyballing it to the cruisers and Ssquared earlier.  The HT on the Proline 20 inch is the most laid back of 'em all.

Everything else seems about right though.  Either I got an early on faulty one, or Redline is fudging some numbers on the HT angle.  Disappointing if Redline isn't being upfront about that.

The Ssquared is giving me at least an inch more rider area no matter which way I measure it.  So, I'm happy to have made the move.  Now, to see how it feels riding the Ssquared around the track.

I'm thinking about getting that Proline....when I inquired about the specs, Redline said the HA was 73 degrees. Did you notice the slacker head angle when you rode?

#560 2019-11-11 12:33pm

gunnermg1
Pro Member
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 2

Newest race sled.  Jayhawk cruiser.  http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/261873/20191028_1739465dc9c5b316.jpg

Want to buy:

*Redline forklifter cruiser bars / aluminum / red anodized

#561 2019-11-11 2:04pm

maligator
Intermediate

ibecruising wrote:

maligator wrote:

Gylles Smyth wrote:

Geometry:

I'm thinking about getting that Proline....when I inquired about the specs, Redline said the HA was 73 degrees. Did you notice the slacker head angle when you rode?

I certainly did... although not at the time.  You don't know what you don't know, right?  But, now that I have a true 74 degree frame I can tell how lazy the Redline was.  It always wanted to just push up to the top of the berm on a turn... like I had to fight it to stay down lower.  With my new one, it doesn't do that and just a little lean either way is all it takes to be where I want in the turn.  More so, I noticed the slack seat tube in the Redline, even at the time.  That shifts the BB forward shortening the rider area and I felt really squished on it, like way forward on the bike.  And since we're standing most of the time when racing or riding serious, where the seat is to sit on really doesn't matter much.  But, it was roomy to cruise on with the seat way up.

I still have my Redline and was messing around measuring it the other day.  By my measurement, center of head tube to center of seat tube, the top tube is only 21.5 inches.  I didn't buy the thing blindly, inquired about numbers since they don't post them, and was given the same or similar numbers as Gylles posted above.  It's pretty disappointing to learn now that was far from accurate... from a Redline employee, too.  At least they're now saying 73 degrees on the head tube.  I still don't know if it's even that, but it's certainly not 74 degrees.

Not to say it's a crap bike.  It actually treated me pretty well, as I had a real good first year back into racing.  It's more the lack of info from Redline and now finding out what I was told was wrong that has me turned off on it.  And, learning now that I like a steeper head tube and more rider area.  Some probably like a more laid back head tube.  It's all part of learning what I like getting back into BMX after 30 years, I suppose.  But, I wouldn't personally recommend the Redline.  Mainly because they don't seem to know squat about their own bikes.

I'm actually in the process of changing out a Chase cruiser frame I basically just bought because it's a 73 degree head tube and a slack seat tube along with that.  It feels super lazy to me.  So, it may just be my riding style that I like a steeper head and seat tube?  I don't imagine a place like Chase doesn't know what they're doing.  So, some must like a laid back head tube angle... many other crusiers are in the 73 degree range too.  But, even on a cruiser that doesn't work for me.  Different folks and all....

#562 2019-11-11 3:37pm

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

maligator wrote:

....  I didn't buy the thing blindly, inquired about numbers since they don't post them, and was given the same or similar numbers as Gylles posted above.  It's pretty disappointing to learn now that was far from accurate... from a Redline employee, too.  At least they're now saying 73 degrees on the head tube.  I still don't know if it's even that, but it's certainly not 74 degrees.

....  It's more the lack of info from Redline and now finding out what I was told was wrong that has me turned off on it.

Did you see or hear the news about Accell selling the Redline, Diamondback, and other brands to Regent LP a couple of months ago?  Having that context, I can imagine where morale and quality control at Redline could have been pretty bad and deteriorating over the last year or so.  Hopefully they'll fare better under new ownership.

I'm not a shredder, just a songwriter that plays too many notes.

46-50 Novice - USA BMX WA-01 - 2014 FTB Revolution AA-Pro - https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/factory_team_bikes/104086

#563 2019-11-11 5:03pm

maligator
Intermediate

I had not heard that about Redline.  Here's hoping they turn things around!  I hate seeing a name like Redline go downhill.

#564 2019-11-11 6:08pm

Garcia_58
Pro MemberBeg
Bikes: 41
For Sale: 12

maligator wrote:

I had not heard that about Redline.  Here's hoping they turn things around!  I hate seeing a name like Redline go downhill.

You got that right.

I am not of this world ----- 1978 GLJ 1979 DG Racer ----  WWG1WGA

Board footer

View Cart →