You are not logged in.

Mid-School HARO THREAD - for those of us that love the midschool haro

#8926 2019-06-01 9:05am

eisele1
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

Re: Mid-School HARO THREAD - for those of us that love the midschool haro

Hey guys I have an aluminum group 1 I think it's a 99', I was in the process of refinishing it and found two cracks at the base of the seat post, do you think its worth having repaired if I'm most likely going to let it go? or take the hit in the value and pass it on as is to someone who wants to take on the project? https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/257956/20190519_0744545cf2a1b1b9.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/257956/20190519_0745265cf2a1d7c2.jpg
[img][/imhttps://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/257956/20190519_0745355cf2a23f44.jpg

#8927 2019-06-01 9:18am

Tundruz
Pro Member

Let it go now and take the hit on value if you aren't going to keep it.  If i'm a buyer I'd want to have repaired myself knowing how/who did it.  my .02

I crash better than I race

#8928 2019-06-01 9:19am

KRUZNYO
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Quick weld... easy fix

Gods Of War!!!

#8929 2019-06-01 9:32am

fairlyodddad
Pro MemberFLAWLESS VICTORY FATALITY
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 2

KRUZNYO wrote:

Quick weld... easy fix

Really?  I heard that aluminum is not as easy to weld...

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”  -Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
----------------------------------------------------o0o-----------------------------------------------------
Looking for a 1990 Bully BashGuard with SN RX8908567 Olive color stolen from me back in 1991
----------------------------------------------------o0o-----------------------------------------------------
“People cry not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for too long.” -Johnny Depp

#8930 2019-06-01 9:41am

Woodmaster
Pro MemberStikin feathers up your ass dont make u a chikin

Tundruz wrote:

Let it go now and take the hit on value if you aren't going to keep it.  If i'm a buyer I'd want to have repaired myself knowing how/who did it.  my .02

I agree.

A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.
                                 Oscar Wilde

#8931 2019-06-01 9:45am

Woodmaster

fairlyodddad wrote:

KRUZNYO wrote:

Quick weld... easy fix

Not hard, just different. Not a whole lot of welders ever touch aluminum, the welds get contaminated too easy in a ferrous(iron based) metal shop. But yes, easy fix for the right person.

Oscar Wilde

#8932 2019-06-01 9:55am

fairlyodddad
Pro MemberFLAWLESS VICTORY FATALITY

Woodmaster wrote:

fairlyodddad wrote:

KRUZNYO wrote:

Quick weld... easy fix

Not hard, just different. Not a whole lot of welders ever touch aluminum, the welds get contaminated too easy in a ferrous(iron based) metal shop. But yes, easy fix for the right person.

Ah, I get it. cool

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”  -Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Looking for a 1990 Bully BashGuard with SN RX8908567 Olive color stolen from me back in 1991
“People cry not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for too long.” -Johnny Depp

#8933 2019-06-01 9:11pm

eisele1
Centurion Member

Ok, thanks for the help. I haven't taken it to a shop yet but I got conflicting info from a couple of people with a lot of welding experience, one said I would have to grind all the previous welds off and start all over and most likely it wouldn't look anywhere as good as all the rest of the welds on the frame. The other guy said it was no big deal and he would fix it right up but his tight welder isn't set up yet. I'll take it to a pro and get his/her take on it and go from there. Thanks!

#8934 2019-06-02 6:35am

Woodmaster

eisele1 wrote:

Ok, thanks for the help. I haven't taken it to a shop yet but I got conflicting info from a couple of people with a lot of welding experience, one said I would have to grind all the previous welds off and start all over and most likely it wouldn't look anywhere as good as all the rest of the welds on the frame. The other guy said it was no big deal and he would fix it right up but his tight welder isn't set up yet. I'll take it to a pro and get his/her take on it and go from there. Thanks!

It will never have the look or integrity of a new frame, no matter who you find to fix it. Unless you are super attached to these bikes I would get something else. Seat tube even looks to be crushed a bit as well as the cracks.

Oscar Wilde

#8935 2019-06-02 6:52am

KRUZNYO
Pro Member

Woodmaster wrote:

eisele1 wrote:

It will never have the look or integrity of a new frame, no matter who you find to fix it. Unless you are super attached to these bikes I would get something else. Seat tube even looks to be crushed a bit as well as the cracks.

Yes it can and will.... We weld aluminum all day at our shop ge the right person to fix it.  I guarantee it will be better than original.

Gods Of War!!!

#8936 2019-06-02 6:53am

KRUZNYO
Pro Member

KRUZNYO wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

eisele1 wrote:

Yes it can and will.... We weld aluminum all day at our shop get the right person to fix it.  I guarantee it will be better than original.

Gods Of War!!!

#8937 2019-06-02 7:34am

Woodmaster

KRUZNYO wrote:

KRUZNYO wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

Yes it can and will.... We weld aluminum all day at our shop get the right person to fix it.  I guarantee it will be better than original.

Stress relieving it then, or not necessary ?

Oscar Wilde

#8938 2019-06-02 7:45am

Woodmaster

What temper do the tubes have? Do you back-gas it? Does the post even fit now? Weld it with a copper post inside?

Last edited by Woodmaster (2019-06-02 7:49am)

Oscar Wilde

#8939 2019-06-02 8:23am

Woodmaster

fairlyodddad wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

fairlyodddad wrote:

Ah, I get it. cool

TIG welding steel is done with direct current, pointed tungsten. Aluminum is alternating current, balled electrode. Also half a dozen regular types of tungsten to choose from based on what yer weldin. Has to be super clean, and just prior to welding as the oxide starts to form immediately. And you can't clean it with anything that has cleaned steels. One grain of steel dust in your weld path will ruin the bead.

Oscar Wilde

#8940 2019-06-10 4:10am

DannyEllis
Centurion Member

eisele1 wrote:

Hey guys I have an aluminum group 1 I think it's a 99', I was in the process of refinishing it and found two cracks

Hard to find an alloy frame from the mid 90s that isn’t cracked. The ‘98/‘99 version was a lot beefier and didn’t crack as easily as the earlier models. I’m actually just polishing mine up now. cool

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/254562/a8f5b52f-3014-4e8e-9d5d-93240c0207c25d0572eccd.jpeg

Last edited by DannyEllis (2019-06-15 3:41pm)

Happy wife, happy life.
No wife, awesome life!

#8941 2019-06-16 2:07pm

nnjrider
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 1

I recently bought a Haro Group 1 AL PRO.  I think it is an 01.  It came with some great parts, Fusion chain ring, Fusion stem, knee saver bars and Weinmann rims.  I was surprised that it came with one piece cranks.  According to the seller, it was owned by someone who had a bike shop and built it for himself.  Were one piece crank standard back in 00?  Or is there a strong reason the owner would have chosen one piece over three piece?  Thanks.

#8942 2019-06-16 11:12pm

DannyEllis
Centurion Member

nnjrider wrote:

I recently bought a Haro Group 1 AL PRO.  I think it is an 01.

Did you have a picture of it? There was no PRO version. There was 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 with some earlier models having an elite version.

Happy wife, happy life.
No wife, awesome life!

#8943 2019-06-17 10:11am

nnjrider
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 1

DannyEllis wrote:

nnjrider wrote:

Did you have a picture of it? There was no PRO version. There was 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 with some earlier models having an elite version.

http://imgur.com/46GV3Cx
http://imgur.com/htSvouF
http://imgur.com/XiRSpcp
http://imgur.com/Bi1C6kX
http://imgur.com/wu0VfZ1
The sticker on the down tube says PRO
Thanks.

#8944 2019-06-17 3:58pm

Woodmaster

nnjrider wrote:

DannyEllis wrote:

nnjrider wrote:

http://imgur.com/46GV3Cx
http://imgur.com/htSvouF
http://imgur.com/XiRSpcp
http://imgur.com/Bi1C6kX
http://imgur.com/wu0VfZ1
The sticker on the down tube says PRO
Thanks.

Pro being frame size, not a model? 20.75"

Oscar Wilde

#8945 2019-06-17 4:04pm

Woodmaster

nnjrider wrote:

I recently bought a Haro Group 1 AL PRO.  I think it is an 01.  It came with some great parts, Fusion chain ring, Fusion stem, knee saver bars and Weinmann rims.  I was surprised that it came with one piece cranks.  According to the seller, it was owned by someone who had a bike shop and built it for himself.  Were one piece crank standard back in 00?  Or is there a strong reason the owner would have chosen one piece over three piece?  Thanks.

Why put freestyle bars on a race bike?

Oscar Wilde

#8946 2019-06-17 4:09pm

DannyEllis
Centurion Member

Yeah, it’s a ‘01 AL 2.0. Actually since this page seems to dedicated two alloy frames lol. Would any of you guys happen to have these to black lugs that hold the brake cable in place when the cable enters the frame? I’m chasing a set.
Thanks

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/254562/08f223a6-445e-40d8-8833-97f84af7ddb95d081d8374.jpeg

Last edited by DannyEllis (2019-06-17 4:09pm)

Happy wife, happy life.
No wife, awesome life!

#8947 2019-06-17 4:13pm

Woodmaster

DannyEllis wrote:

Yeah, it’s a ‘01 AL 2.0. Actually since this page seems to dedicated two alloy frames lol. Would any of you guys happen to have these to black lugs that hold the brake cable in place when the cable enters the frame? I’m chasing a set.
Thanks

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … d8374.jpeg

If they are the same ones Specialized put in the Fatboy, I most likely have some extras. Looks pretty close, can take pictures when I get home. A lot of cheap mountain bikes were doing the cables in the frame thing in the 90's. Huffy's for sure, my sister had one.

Last edited by Woodmaster (2019-06-17 4:19pm)

Oscar Wilde

#8948 2019-06-17 5:19pm

AJ Macaroo
Pro MemberThe Professor
Bikes: 6

Woodmaster wrote:

DannyEllis wrote:

Thanks

If they are the same ones Specialized put in the Fatboy, I most likely have some extras. Looks pretty close, can take pictures when I get home. A lot of cheap mountain bikes were doing the cables in the frame thing in the 90's. Huffy's for sure, my sister had one.

Hopefully Woodmaster can sort you out with a pair. I have never lost one thankfully on my ‘97 Monocoque, but had friends that did and there were a pain to find replacements bitd.

Last edited by AJ Macaroo (2019-06-17 5:19pm)

#8949 2019-06-17 6:12pm

Woodmaster

AJ Macaroo wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

DannyEllis wrote:

Thanks

Hopefully Woodmaster can sort you out with a pair. I have never lost one thankfully on my ‘97 Monocoque, but had friends that did and there were a pain to find replacements bitd.

Saw this in a thread once, thought someone is making them now. Thread was in reference to Fatboy's though, bit flatter tube.

Oscar Wilde

#8950 2019-06-18 11:36pm

DannyEllis
Centurion Member

Have asked around a bit for the plastic lugs but if I can not find any, there is a Haro T-Bone being sold locally so that is the back up plan. Thanks guys.

Also, noticed this while I was looking at the local for sale section check out this old girl!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/254562/a-l16005d09d7a291.jpg

Happy wife, happy life.
No wife, awesome life!

Board footer