You are not logged in.

Dyeing TUFFS - The "How To" thread.  RSS Feed

#1 2008-04-05 11:42am

Triumvirat
The Dr. Phil of BMX
Bikes: 7

Dyeing TUFFS - The "How To" thread.

This restoration is owed, very largely in part, to the post by superkav back in November, 2007. The steps I followed were pretty close to his instructions, but I had to substitute the dye for a brand that is available in North America. Let's begin...

Here's what I had to work with:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m80/Triumvirat73/Original.jpg

As you can clearly see, the Tuffs were pretty beat! They were so worn that the fibers of the composite were actually coming off to the touch and itched like fiberglass insulation.

You'll need to pick up the following items: (The measured ingredients are for ONE WHEEL ONLY)

A 26 gallon plastic storage tub.
1 hard plastic bristled brush
A long wooden spoon (if you use one out of the kitchen you'll be returning it to the drawer BLUE)
1 236ml bottle of Navy Blue LIQUID RIT dye (or whatever colour you choose)
2 32gram boxes of Navy Blue RIT dye POWDER
1 32gram box of Royal Blue RIT dye POWDER
2 kg of table salt (you'll need 5 cups in total)
2 LARGE lobster or stewing pots
1 bucket full of rags

STEP ONE

Remove all hardware (axle, bearings, etc.) that can be removed from the wheel. I used 2nd generation TUFF II's with the steel flanges that don't come off, but they aren't affected by the dyeing process.

STEP TWO

Next pour a few tablespoons on mild dish washing detergent into the storage tub and fill it up about a third full with the hottest water you can stand to have your hands in. Next simply scrub the hell out of the wheel with your scrub brush. Get off any surface crud you can and don't worry about any discoloration or stains in the Tuffs. Once the wheel is free of any surface dirt and grime pull it out and rinse it with cold water and let it stand to drain off for a few minutes. While the wheel is draining off empty the soapy water out of the tub and rinse it out thoroughly and tip it upside down to drain out.

Transfer the wheel to your EMPTY dishwasher, lay it flat, and put the same about of detergent in that you would for a regular load of dishes. Run the regular dishwashing cycle. Once that is done, flip the wheel over and run it for one more cycle WITHOUT ANY DETERGENT to remove any soap residue from the first wash cycle.

STEP THREE

While the detergent-free dishwasher cycle is going fill two large lobster/stewing pots with water and put them on the stove on maximum temperature and bring them to a boil. (when the dyeing process starts it's always best to use the ABSOLUTE HOTTEST WATER you can.)

Prep the storage bin by pouring 5 cups of table salt into the bottom, and place the bin in your bathtub. Once the water has boiled transfer it into the bin and give it a good stir with your wooden spoon to dissolve the salt crystals. Now the fun part... pour in all of the liquid and powder dye to the salt water. Make sure the tap in your bathtub is running HOT and fill the rest of the bin up until it's about 2/3 full. Give it a good stir to make sure everything is mixed together well.

Take the, still hot, wheel out of the dishwasher and transfer it into the tub of dye. Make sure it is FULLY SUBMERGED in the dye solution, and if it isn't top it off with hot water until it is. (it is critical that the wheel is completely submerged, so consider yourself warned.)

Let the wheel soak for 15 minutes and then flip it over and stir the dye-water around a bit and let the flip side soak for another 15 minutes. (A total of 30 minutes for the entire process for the chronologically challenged)

Remove the wheel and rinse it off well with COLD water and stand it upright to drain off a bit. Hand dry it completely with a clean rag.

STEP FOUR

Take the wheel outside and spray the surface ENTIRELY with a good coating of WD-40. Make sure the entire surface is covered with the WD-40 as this is what seals the composite of the wheel. Stand the wheel upright and let the WD-40 dry ON IT'S OWN. Do not wipe the wheel. I let mine stand overnight to dry out completely.

STEP FIVE

Stand back and bask in the awe that is your new looking wheel!

Here are some before, "after WD-40", and completed pictures of the wheel I did.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m80/Triumvirat73/Tuffs2b.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m80/Triumvirat73/Tuffs1.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m80/Triumvirat73/Tuffs2.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m80/Triumvirat73/Tuffs4.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m80/Triumvirat73/Tuffs5.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m80/Triumvirat73/Tuffs6.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m80/Triumvirat73/Tuffs7.jpg

Hope this helps and post your results if you do some yourself!

Cheers,
Greg

"That's what makes the Museum such a wonderful place. Pure, unadulterated, misunderstanding. 24/7"

#2 2008-04-05 11:47am

kmpap
Pro Member
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 2

Re: Dyeing TUFFS - The "How To" thread.

Good  Lord Greg - you really are a MASTER at wheel/mag restoration! 
Those look spectacular - like new!
Congrats - they're beautiful.

#3 2008-04-05 12:23pm

Triumvirat
The Dr. Phil of BMX

Thanks Kevin, but I did have some very good instructions to follow myself. superkav did a great job of providing the details that I used as a guideline.

I was a little apprehensive about using a different brand of dye than the one he recommended but the results speak for themselves. Props to RIT dye! wink

"That's what makes the Museum such a wonderful place. Pure, unadulterated, misunderstanding. 24/7"

#4 2008-04-05 12:50pm

Charlie Brown
Pro MemberCB Doom

Looks fantastic!  You saved some beat up mags.

Be sure to follow my BMX restoration page on Instagram: charlies.bmx.restorations

#5 2008-04-13 12:25pm

Jzone99
Centurion Member
Bikes: 1

Nice Job! I plan on doing this but have a few questions.   What skyway color were you going for with the ratio of Navy and royal. It looks black in some pics? How did you figure it out? Does the amount of water affect it?

I know that WD40 is required but has been up for depate since petro based oils are not good for plastic. Has anyone ever heard of jojoba oil?  It is plant based (will not hurt plastic), smells like the bubble gum that came with baseball cards.

#6 2008-04-13 12:42pm

Triumvirat
The Dr. Phil of BMX

Jzone99 wrote:

What skyway color were you going for with the ratio of Navy and royal. It looks black in some pics? How did you figure it out? Does the amount of water affect it?

I wasn't going for a colour specific to Skyway. I always wanted some Tuffs that were a really deep blue, but there really aren't any. If you wanted to stay to a Skyway specific blue I would recommend trying to replace the Navy blue content with Royal blue instead.

I couldn't tell you how different amounts of water would affect the outcome, I just wanted to document exactly how I did it and the results that can be expected based on those instructions.

Feel free to post the results of your restoration when you do it. I'd love to see it.

Cheers,
Greg

#7 2008-05-01 11:23am

dnilknarf
Museum Newbie

whats the best way to get old faded white mags to look like knew?  Can i just clean and bleach them or will i need to dye them?

#8 2008-05-01 11:52am

DOMPHIPPSIO
Pro Member
Website

Dude you need to bleach white mags. Use the cheapo thin liquid stuff and do it neat, some people reccomend watering it down but it just slows the hole process down. I have bleached a few sets of wheels, mainly skyways and peregrines and it works well if you are patient. Beware though, heavily grease any of the hardware that you cant remove, the bleach will corrode it if its left bare when dropped in

#9 2008-05-02 11:13pm

timeserved
Bikes: 8
Website

nice job

#10 2008-06-14 9:11am

Endorific
Expert
Bikes: 3

Man, now I am trying to decide...buy the blue colored 24" tuff 2s for $175 or buy the whites for $110 and dye them myself.  Decisions, decisions...

I'm so old school...I still call it a gooseneck.

#11 2008-06-15 4:01am

manojo
Museum Newbie

Nice resto dude ! Will this work w/ yellow wheels as well ? (yellow to yellow or orange

IT RIDES BETTER WHEN YOU PUT IT TOGETHER!
(build a custom and recycle)

#12 2008-06-23 12:12pm

jasonGT
Pro Member
Bikes: 29

thanks to Triumvirat for starting this thread.
i just follow the steps and my project is almost finished!!
from a generic white gt performer mags to a jamaican yellow wheels!
we be jammin mon!!!!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z223/tributetomy80s/IMG_0037-1.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z223/tributetomy80s/IMG_0041-1.jpg

looking for:  hutch rear hub (Ti or aluminum), Vector forks

#13 2008-06-23 12:48pm

OLDSCHOOL ATL
Museum Addict
Bikes: 78

..........................NICE.............................. my orange mags (dyed)http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/cw/7342

Last edited by OLDSCHOOL ATL (2008-06-23 12:51pm)

____HIGH til I DiE ____

#14 2008-06-23 1:19pm

Gtcompe
Banned
Bikes: 9
Website

nice thats awesome

#15 2008-06-23 3:30pm

Triumvirat
The Dr. Phil of BMX

jason, those turned out awesome! Thanks for posting the results of your dye job. Excellent work!

#16 2008-06-23 8:47pm

jasonGT
Pro Member

OLDSCHOOL ATL wrote:

..........................NICE.............................. my orange mags (dyed)http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/cw/7342

it's fun to see , off market colored tuffs!!

Last edited by jasonGT (2008-06-23 8:47pm)

#17 2008-06-23 10:31pm

FONEY
Pro Member
For Sale: 8
Website

ok im sure im not the only one who needs to know this.. was the bathtub stained in the process?

my wife would kill me if my tub turned bright red because i wanted to dye some bike wheels.

#18 2008-06-23 10:52pm

Triumvirat
The Dr. Phil of BMX

FONEY wrote:

ok im sure im not the only one who needs to know this.. was the bathtub stained in the process?

my wife would kill me if my tub turned bright red because i wanted to dye some bike wheels.

If there is residue in the tub then that residue will be dyed. So, yes.

BUT, clean up is as simple as filling a spray bottle with liquid bleach and spraying it over the entire surface of the tub. Leave it for a couple of hours and it will look cleaner than when you started.

That's what I did anyways. big_smile

#19 2008-06-24 12:39am

jasonGT
Pro Member

FONEY wrote:

bought a $6 18 gallon tub at k mart, fits perfectly with all 20" mags.
the dye will definitely stain your tub.

#20 2008-06-24 8:48pm

Endorific
Expert

Does anybody know a material that will take the dye similarly to Tuffs?  I would like to practice on some scrap before actually dying, thanks.

I'm so old school...I still call it a gooseneck.

#21 2008-06-24 11:22pm

mattygaff
Museum Addict

Does anyone know wht happens to dyed mags when they get some break rub on them?  I am considering buying a pair of dyed blue mags from another member for my current project, but I am going to ride it, so someone please help me out.  Thanks.
- Matt

"MOM!  Throw down some money!  The Ice Cream Man is coming!"  - Eddie Murphy

#22 2008-06-25 4:23pm

xeokym
Centurion Member
Bikes: 5

wow JasonGT that is a sweet ride!! what awesome colors, I really love custom color jobs like that!smile

Does anyone know wht happens to dyed mags when they get some break rub on them?

I've seen a few of them, they get streaks on them just like undyed ones do. Nothing major, and the color does not rub off. The dye goes well INTO the mag material enough that you would rub the brake pad down to nothing long before the brake pad rubbed into the mag material enough to get through the dyed part. In fact you'd need to really gouge into the mag with something like a screwdriver...so don't worry about the brake pads doing any damage.

Of course if you use black brake pads, then you're going to get black streaks...the best thing to do is find brake pads that match as closely in color to the mags. If you can't find colored matching brake pads, go with white pads, that's all.

Does anybody know a material that will take the dye similarly to Tuffs?  I would like to practice on some scrap before actually dying, thanks.

They are a graphite plastic, like fiberglass. Some of the newer ones haven't got fibers in them, while the older ones do actually have fibers just like fiberglass, as previously mentioned. I can't really think of anything like a mag that you can test on beforehand...besides, even if you found something LIKE the mag, it wouldn't take the dye in the same manner, exactly. What are you unsure of? Messing it up yourself, or the mag not taking the dye right? Because if you're worried about doing it wrong, you can't really mess it up. Pull it out occasionally and check on it, so you don't dye it too dark, if that's what you're afraid of.

Last edited by xeokym (2008-06-25 4:31pm)

§~MY RIDES~§ 08 SE retro repro black 20" PK Ripper, 08 SE retro repro tan 20" Quadangle, 00 Haro Shredder, 99 Haro Master 2010 SE retro repro 20" gold PK Ripper, and hopefully soon 26" SE/DC yellow 26" Quadangle.

#23 2008-06-30 9:36am

bendavy
Museum Newbie

nice!

does anyone know of a quick fix kinda way of doing it?
is there any spray that you can use?
i have some white (non tuff) mag wheels that i want to spray black

#24 2008-07-07 3:57am

Cobra_Racing
Museum Newbie

Amazing! You could upload a demo video to youtube big_smile

#25 2008-07-09 3:39am

Plates
Museum Newbie

Good lookin on the wheels!  A stellar job.

I've got some white's that have been turned off-colour with the sun and was going to try and re-whiten them, but after seeing this I might try and dye them instead (really wanted a candy green in the first place!).  One question: what is the purpose of putting the wheels in the dishwasher?  Is it to get them hot?  I don't have a dishwasher, hence my question.....

Board footer

View Cart →