Spray paint brands and types.

#1 2013-04-25 10:59am

G33K
Pro MemberTouch My GUI
Signed up: 2011-03-12
Bikes: 10
Website

Spray paint brands and types.

I have searched the site and restoration sticky for good information on spray painting and have come up empty. I've seen member create works of art with a spray can and I believe I can do the same, however I would prefer the do's and don'ts up front. So here are my questions:

What is the best spray paint out there? Several internet reviews put Rustoleum in the top 5. A lot of spray paint is geared toward street art (which is acrylic).

What type of spray paint is best? When you go to the Rustoleum site, there is a gazillion types of paint. I am leaned toward enamel, but I could be out in left field....

Are there specific nozzles that work better than others? Do pistol grip nozzle triggers make that much of a difference, or is that personal preference?

I assume I approach a steel frame much like a car; prep the frame, prime, base coat and clear coat?

I got the painting stand down, there was information in the restoration sticky.

WTB: Blue Hutch Trickstar 2************Raleigh Quicksilver

#2 2013-04-25 11:15am

norelk98
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2012-10-24
Bikes: 7

Re: Spray paint brands and types.

My best tip is this; after priming wipe with alcohol let dry then warm up with torch. Put spray can in a bucket of hot water for ten minutes and shake good. Use regular rustoleum. I have done about fifteen frames and tons of parts. Comes out awesome.

BMX! Paying Emergency Room doctor's mortgages since 1975!!!

#3 2013-04-25 11:16am

milhous
Pro Member
Signed up: 2009-01-07
Bikes: 33
For Sale: 1

I have had good luck with Duplicolor paints and primers/clears. Car parts stores carry it, and you can get most colors used on newer cars.

I just use the stock nozzles that come on the cans. I usually try and stick to the same brand for the primer/sealer, paint, and clearcoat.

WANT TO BUY-
Standard Bykes Gyro Hood (red)
2018 Volume Sledgehammer complete

#4 2013-04-25 2:18pm

KoolAidMan
Signed up: 2011-05-14
Bikes: 4

G33K wrote:

What is the best spray paint out there? Several internet reviews put Rustoleum in the top 5. A lot of spray paint is geared toward street art (which is acrylic).

What type of spray paint is best? When you go to the Rustoleum site, there is a gazillion types of paint. I am leaned toward enamel, but I could be out in left field....

Are there specific nozzles that work better than others? Do pistol grip nozzle triggers make that much of a difference, or is that personal preference?

I assume I approach a steel frame much like a car; prep the frame, prime, base coat and clear coat?

I got the painting stand down, there was information in the restoration sticky.

^Yup

norelk98 wrote:

My best tip is this; after priming wipe with alcohol let dry then warm up with torch. Put spray can in a bucket of hot water for ten minutes and shake good. Use regular rustoleum. I have done about fifteen frames and tons of parts. Comes out awesome.

^yup
I'd also add that there should be long periods of curing to allow the coats to harden. Also, nothing wrong with wet-sanding between base and top coat.

It's all results-oriented ... do what works.

"Nut-up or Shut-up, Buttercup!"
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/65442/webp.net-resizeimage5f7d318305.png[/img]
Forum and Site Rules <•>Become a Pro Member <•> For Sale Section Rules

#5 2013-04-26 6:03am

G33K
Pro MemberTouch My GUI
Website

Thanks for the tips!!

#6 2013-04-26 6:36am

SoGnarly
Expert
Signed up: 2012-08-05

Self etching primer, Duplicolor and this clear coat will give you a nice, durable finish.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

That's what I use on motorcycle tanks.

WTB - Blk/wht Checker Seat Cover

#7 2013-04-26 10:24am

G33K
Pro MemberTouch My GUI
Website

SoGnarly wrote:

Self etching primer, Duplicolor and this clear coat will give you a nice, durable finish.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

That's what I use on motorcycle tanks.

Awesome!! I better have a couple of frames lined up though - lasts only 24 hours...

#8 2013-04-26 7:27pm

ericeo
Signed up: 2012-06-03
Bikes: 1

i personally think the pistol grips is a waste of money... as far as brands go...my experience ...stay away from the cheap generic shit...RUSTOLEUM,DUPLICOLOR,KRYLON etc. are all good. Rustoleum takes longer to cure or dry because it is oil based paint..but is some durable stuff once cured..  prep really  is a huge part with any painting wheather its being applied with a "rattle can" or a paint gun and will play a huge part to the over all end resault..CLEAN parts free from oils (even from you skin..from your hands) dirt, lint is important to get off the surface. using rubbing alcohol to wipe parts down will also eliminate static charge...caused by the friction from the shop towels/ micro fiber (avoid paper towels cuz the lint they leave behind) being used and evaperates so there is NO residue's left behind..also very important!!.. lacquer thinner is also excellent as is to evaporates and doesn't leave a residue.. the use of a tack clothe just before you lay the primer...or paint down is a good idea..there very cheap and it only takes a light single swipe over the part to be painted to get any lint and dirt that may have settled... just my 2 cents:D

"BoaTs -N- Ho'S

#9 2013-04-26 7:49pm

imroc
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2011-03-02
Bikes: 28

norelk98 wrote:

Are your bikes, that are in the museum, painted in this fashion?

If you can't acknowledge my order & hard earned money spent on your goods, i can't help with your feedback

D€4L

#10 2013-04-26 8:08pm

mdeltab
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2012-03-24
Bikes: 3

Great topic here. Everybody seems to powder coat these days. Good to see others painting their own bikes. I also paint my stuff sometimes. Three of my bikes here on the museum were painted by me and I paint alot of parts. It's fun and it saves you money.

My green 87 I used an expensive automotive paint. It sucked. After minimul riding my feet caused alot of smear marks on the paint job. I may have not allowed enough time for the paint to dry before I clear coated it. I waited the time mentioned in the directions but I would wait days untill clear coating my next project again.

On my Bashguard I just went with the Rustoleum High glossx2 paint. It was cheap and it turned out great and very durable. I just think that expensive paint is sometimes over rated.

Looks like the members above gave good advice. Just go with that. I basically did what the mentioned also.

Riding daily and trying to progress. Hope to see you at my Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k3Sl … poUZxTt7_w

#11 2013-05-28 9:09am

norelk98
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2012-10-24
Bikes: 7

imroc wrote:

norelk98 wrote:

Are your bikes, that are in the museum, painted in this fashion?

Yes! My Redline 500a, The Schwinn Pro Stock, and I am going to do a Pro Stock 24 this week!!!

BMX! Paying Emergency Room doctor's mortgages since 1975!!!

#12 2014-05-19 9:13pm

rmeneses
Pro Member
Signed up: 2014-02-21

Unless you're going to a professional auto body shop, Duplicolor, and if it's just Gloss, Semi Gloss, or Flat Black, Spruce Laquer in a spray can is the best.

"Stupidity should be painful"

#13 2014-05-19 9:38pm

tentoesover
Mr. Looseball
Signed up: 2012-02-29
Bikes: 11

Bornintheusa wrote:

Sorry to bump this thread but I have a few questions. When prepping the frame what would be the best thing to use to wipe the rubbing alcohol on the frame? Tack cloth? Or should you use the tack cloth after you apply the rubbing alcohol on the frame?

Educated guess warning, please correct me if I'm wrong:

I wouldn't use a tack cloth with a solvent like alcohol, they are impregnated with something (shellac?) and I wouldn't want to risk changing whatever that is with a solvent. Microfiber or something that won't leave much fuzz is your best bet. I use Kimwipes (used in laboratories), they are a fuzzless paper towel.

THEN follow with the tack cloth once the solvent is dry.

Last edited by tentoesover (2014-05-19 9:48pm)

The last Ocelot

Spammer kills: 54!

Owl, Heyslugger and Severed are on my "Deal with first" list. You guys are rad.

#14 2014-05-19 9:45pm

SK8NOREGON
Expert
Signed up: 2012-12-23

I used Rustoleum on my Performer because I like the way it lays down and the blue is darn near perfect match to original big_smile

LOOKING FOR :
-Teal 1999 Haro Zippo as original as possible

#15 2014-05-20 6:43am

Vitus
Expert
Signed up: 2014-02-24

Duplicolor.

My war- you're one of them.

#16 2014-05-21 2:16pm

NOPOSERS
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2009-05-12
Bikes: 21

I had great results wit Krylon

#17 2014-05-21 2:48pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life
Signed up: 2010-11-27

Kobra , Made in Italy and half the price of Montana Paint . Kobra is now available inside the US . cool

http://www.kobrapaintusa.com/

Montana , Made in Spain has always been amazing paint and they continue to evolve and easily found inside the US . cool

http://www.montana-cans.com/

I think one thing you guys unfamiliar with painting from a 12oz. can is that most stock tips you have on Krylon / Rust-Oleum suck . Do your homework on the different types of caps , because they go from very Fine / Stencil to full on NY Fat Caps , which is a huge pattern of spray . I'm fortunate enough to have friends in the Graffiti Community to explain and show me everything I ask about . If you have a Writer friend , by all means ask them .

" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#18 2014-06-01 3:48pm

Ripn'ride
Expert
Signed up: 2013-05-03
Bikes: 15

I'm so curious, Can the primer ultimately change the appearance of your actual base coat and so forth? Is this just a dumb question lol? I got some blue, but it's a semi dark blue, and was wondering if a white primer can lighten up the painting job when its said and done.. ? Maybe some extra sanding after each application and light coatings.. I hope someone has answers lol

Bike's don't do the wheelie by themselves

hmu if you have the location of a dk 12t hah.

#19 2014-06-01 3:54pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

It does at least when painting any Car , Truck or Motorcycle I've ever seen . I'm no expert on the color you should use but a Base-Coat of Primer will definitely help the overall finish of your Top-Coats . cool

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#20 2014-06-01 4:08pm

Ripn'ride
Expert

can you elaborate umm, base-coats of primer? U mean like, uhh lol I'm lost lol

#21 2014-06-01 4:24pm

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life

I meant your Base-Coats ontop of the Primer . You obviously don't paint , one big globby coat . lol

http://bmx.transworld.net/1000077793/fe … t-a-frame/
https://medium.com/what-i-learned-today … 6d13d5c95d

~ Hunter S. Thompson 

#22 2014-06-01 7:00pm

kevin108
Kdog Bikes
Signed up: 2009-06-07
Bikes: 11

Important to keep in mind that tubes have 4 sides. After 2 lite coats I let cure for 6 to 7 days. Rough up with fine steel wool and change the way I hang to paint final coats.

#23 2014-06-01 7:19pm

badbill
Born Ruthless
Signed up: 2007-06-25
Bikes: 6
Website

some bizarre shit being said up in here.  i wouldn't listen to any of this advice. first off fuk rustoleum and 2nd just do research. i would tell you what to do but i dont want these other idiots know how to do it.

Last edited by badbill (2014-06-01 7:51pm)

#24 2014-06-01 7:49pm

Ripn'ride
Expert

Well wow way to be right lol.. I saw a guy do his entire bike in a few hours, on a hot day no doubt - and it looked great. I probably would take my time and have the hope it holds up better but he probably knew what he was doin'... Everyone has their quirks. I thought what Kevin mentioned gives a nice perspective for the work, idk what u think. What advise do u think was bizarre?

#25 2014-06-01 7:50pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Signed up: 2009-04-12
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 1

While u can do it yourself I would recommend stripping it yourself with air craft remover then just take it to a good body shop and let them shoot it in their booth and clear it. Allot less hassle and mess. Plus they use good quality paint and you'll have a durable and professional finish. And it probably wouldn't cost more than $100. Usually between $50-$100. Just depends how detailed the frame and odd the color.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Board footer