You are not logged in.

Highest Paid Old School BMXer of All Time ?  RSS Feed

#51 2013-04-21 6:57am

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
Bikes: 5
Website

Re: Highest Paid Old School BMXer of All Time ?

eric12 wrote:

BrunoBMX wrote:

RL today, where is he? 

Last I heard he was living the good life plush condo on Redondo Beach.

Still running his cleaning business last I saw. Says he dropped out of bikes and doesn't even own one. yikes Says the BMX business is rough and just got fed up with it. I am sure he is set financially without worries.

Yeah, because when you have a little change in your pocket there's nothing to worry about.

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

#52 2013-04-21 7:14am

dedmann
Pro Member"is Air-Cooled"
Bikes: 10

i see R.L. every year at Interbike; he still reps bmx! wink

PLEASE RESPECT CHAT OR I"LL BOOT YA WITH A WARNING!
varokaa tyhmät ympärilläsi - tai tullut yksi[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/meditationf.gif[/img]
"There are very few accomplishments of any value that can be gained without practice, and that which takes the least time to learn is usually the least valuable when learned."                               -The Eagle Bicycle Co. catalog 1890-
                                          ? WANTED: S&M IronMan sprocket flawless or nos ?

#53 2013-04-21 7:57am

gaijin
Pro MemberResident Hutch Hater
Bikes: 18

eric12 wrote:

BrunoBMX wrote:

RL today, where is he? 

Last I heard he was living the good life plush condo on Redondo Beach.

Still running his cleaning business last I saw. Says he dropped out of bikes and doesn't even own one. yikes Says the BMX business is rough and just got fed up with it. I am sure he is set financially without worries.

I remember when he and Buff where in Nashville at Kelly's Bicycle Shop back in 84-ish and I couldn't make it, but my buddy did. Thankfully, he gave me copies of the pics he took. I have them stashed somewhere, I really should find them. Ah, the good Ol' days.

Last I heard, he still has the carpet cleaning business, and still loves bmx, but doesn't ride or even own a bike because his back is wrecked from all of the nasty diggers he took BITD.

I'd imagine that looking at a bike every time you walked out into the garage, knowing that you love to ride and can't because of your injuries would pick the scab off of that emotional wound on a daily basis.  I don't blame him one bit.

avatar photo copyright 2012 asklite

Things I need:  Chrome MX-900s and Tech 3 (rear), 1st or 2nd gen finned Mathauser pads with original hardware.

#54 2013-04-21 8:03am

gaijin

mark.fitzpatrick wrote:

Top pro's today make squat...

Today's pros also aren't required to do the kinds of things that pros BITD were.  Riding around in a van all summer doing 2 a day shows in Backwater, Nebraska, then driving all night to be at a bike shop in Podunk, Wisconsin to do the same thing, having to hit every AFA comp along the way (and expected to win) wearing full race gear in 95 degree heat and having to have a smile on your face at all times...

I'm not saying that the life of a modern day pro is easy, but its easier than it was BITD...

Things I need:  Chrome MX-900s and Tech 3 (rear), 1st or 2nd gen finned Mathauser pads with original hardware.

#55 2013-04-21 8:55am

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

Knarly wrote:

It would be cool to make that kind of crazy money back in the day but if you didn't invest it or create a company or something of that nature  so that the cash would keep flowing once you stopped flowing big_smile it would be a short lived glory. Bob Haro and a few others got it right, they were able to bridge the generation gap and are still profiting today. Thats great for them! Thats being a smart business person!
Being deciplined enough to not blow the bank would've been tough at that age! Fast cars, fast girls, and good bank very tough to stay on course lol

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#56 2013-04-21 10:00am

Knarly
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 3

perront wrote:

Knarly wrote:

It would be cool to make that kind of crazy money back in the day but if you didn't invest it or create a company or something of that nature  so that the cash would keep flowing once you stopped flowing big_smile it would be a short lived glory. Bob Haro and a few others got it right, they were able to bridge the generation gap and are still profiting today. Thats great for them! Thats being a smart business person!
Being deciplined enough to not blow the bank would've been tough at that age! Fast cars, fast girls, and good bank very tough to stay on course lol

THAT TOO ! I'm sure. I was never into any narcotics myself, couldn't aford it lol But I remember a buddy of mine who decided to go for a ride after a few brews. BAD IDEA! A race guy trying to freestyle drunk, he ended up with road rash all up the left side of his face tongue Never tried it again lol a short while after gave up BMX for booze and women big_smile I'm sure a common story among a lot of us here today !!!

LOOKING FOR........   And or Trade items  very clean, mint condition
-Profile seat post decal
-Black Kuwahara Lightening bolt stem pad        -National Pro / Pro Neck handle bars, 28" wide
-Silver Kuwahara Lightening bolt stem pad        -Black set and Blue set of O wing grips

"WHEN IN DOUBT, CRANK IT !"

#57 2013-04-21 10:01am

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI

perront wrote:

Knarly wrote:

That is where that saying came from. Yeah, I am sure the parting in the 80-90's sucked up some of that income of certain pro's. Like stated, it is a hell of a drug. big_smile

Being an adult is the dumbest thing I've ever done.

A Redline, the fastest way between two points.

Give A Shift! Save the manual.

#58 2013-04-21 11:09am

TD Parker
Centurion Member

gaijin wrote:

mark.fitzpatrick wrote:

Today's pros also aren't required to do the kinds of things that pros BITD were.  Riding around in a van all summer doing 2 a day shows in Backwater, Nebraska, then driving all night to be at a bike shop in Podunk, Wisconsin to do the same thing, having to hit every AFA comp along the way (and expected to win) wearing full race gear in 95 degree heat and having to have a smile on your face at all times...

I'm not saying that the life of a modern day pro is easy, but its easier than it was BITD...

And I'm sure any one of us would have loved to trade places with them in a New York Minute. big_smile

#59 2013-04-21 11:28am

skid196940
Banned

At the time RL was riding for general,he was making well over a 100k plus endorsements .It was said at one time he was the highest paid BITD>

Looking for GT Stamped profile cranks and a twin top tube cruiser !!!

#60 2013-04-21 11:40am

kilrgt
Pro MemberFreestyle, there is no substitute

these guys  Rl and Mike Buff...circa 84 Toronto Ontario Canada

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae178/kilrgt/scan0001_zps67457dcc.jpg
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae178/kilrgt/d3c44f1c-92d6-4b8f-823e-74f4fa801c2c_zps8ca23099.jpg

#61 2013-04-21 12:10pm

JTinNC
Museum Addict
Website

Scotty Cranmer(Hyper Bikes) is making enough to roll like this:

http://p.vitalbmx.com/photos/users/363/photos/113818/s780_707036029.jpg?1356383247

"If you're gonna eat shit, don't nibble on it."

#62 2013-04-21 12:32pm

TH1ST
Southside's Finest
Website

JTinNC wrote:

http://p.vitalbmx.com/photos/users/363/ … 1356383247

I'm just now seeing the bike sitting on top of the car,hahaha cool !

Babylon  Everyday . . .

#63 2013-04-21 4:14pm

gaijin

TD Parker wrote:

gaijin wrote:

mark.fitzpatrick wrote:

And I'm sure any one of us would have loved to trade places with them in a New York Minute. big_smile

Many, yes.  ANY? No.

#64 2013-04-21 5:27pm

TD Parker
Centurion Member

gaijin wrote:

TD Parker wrote:

gaijin wrote:

Many, yes.  ANY? No.

Ok pardon me, how aout MOST of us? Better?

#65 2013-04-21 5:56pm

TD Parker
Centurion Member

Whoops meant to write about not aout. Freakin' iphone.

#66 2013-04-21 6:36pm

BrunoBMX
Banned

So because Scotty Cranmar drives a lowered Nissan, that makes him wealthy? 

Puleeeeeeese.

#67 2013-04-21 8:24pm

OldYeller
Pro MemberFellow newb

What about Dave Mirra during his X-Games and video games days?

I bet he's had the highest yearly pay of all time.

#68 2013-04-23 9:29pm

Thrusterdreamer
Pro Member
For Sale: 5

JTinNC wrote:

http://p.vitalbmx.com/photos/users/363/ … 1356383247

I believe he owns a bike shop and indoor track here in NJ..

Love my THRUSTER Tri Powers!!

#69 2013-04-23 9:30pm

Thrusterdreamer
Pro Member

BrunoBMX wrote:

So because Scotty Cranmar drives a lowered Nissan, that makes him wealthy? 

Puleeeeeeese.

Umm isn't that a $100,000 lowered Nissan?

Love my THRUSTER Tri Powers!!

#70 2013-04-24 6:43pm

Harodave4130
Pro Member

A sane person doesn't walk away from 100k. RL was the highest paid but it all went to shit fast. Major companies like Haro, GT and Redline all cut salaries, cancelled tours and pulled free products from almost every rider overnight. Moliterno told us that Haro wouldn't even send them new frames on tour in 89. I know because our LbS welded his seat post tube for him before and after a show. None of them made much money. Probably the equivalent to 35k today. I don't think many of them gave a damn either. They loved to ride and entertain and you could tell. Guys today like Kevin Robinson, Mirra and Bestwick are basically jocks. I watched Kevin R try and pick several fights at the X Games in Louisville in 1998. He was a dick. So was Jay Miron. He got his ass handed to him in Atl Ga one night by a bouncer. He asked for it, literally. Said black eyes are cool. He got way more than he bargained for.

Needs secondary source of income

#71 2013-04-24 7:03pm

Bipolar
No Sho, Fo Sho.

Im friends with a few former pros like itson, Allison, fiola so ill point them here.

If it's Mid-School, and Made by Schwinn..... I'm your HUCKLEBERRY!!

#72 2013-04-24 7:27pm

bmxrickallison
Pro Member

As far as a rider is concerned. Rider turned corperate has to be hands down Bob Haro. I Know about how much he sold haro for back in the day .He did GREAT ! Bob is all Americano, rode /helped to create our sport, then sold number plate n brake guards to starting his own Haro brand of excent bikes and freestyle teams ever. He as we all know ,was a musician and artist so when he sold haro , he just made the perfect move at THE right time. insight ,smarts, generasity ,he has it all .I love Bob Haro for giving us bmx racers who couldn't win a race a different avenue, bicycle freestyle. Thanks . Rick Allison    ps. back in the late 80s, with 10 co-sponcers, indusements and sea world ,schoo;l shows , and more, I made about 80,000 my best yr. But remember I had free cloths ,bikes,shoes ,vauneets food, air fair, lodging.etc...so that worked into a lot more money too. As  just purley a rider of the mid to late 80s im only guessin next would have been Rl Ozborne to Mike Domingez. this is only my guest. all of us were living a dream. money to me was 2nd to what I loved to do .all of us were rich at heart n soul.

#73 2013-04-24 7:33pm

Bipolar
No Sho, Fo Sho.

Thanks Rick!

#74 2013-04-24 7:36pm

bmxrickallison
Pro Member

I had to add to my post, I made that much at my best couple of yrs. working my ass off . my sponcership money income gross was 35,000 . When hutch went bankrupt and did nt pay us employees or tell us of company failing .I and a few others around me ended up also went bankrupt . The fall of freestyle in late 89 to 1990 devastated a lot of us. I went thru hell ,and my 1st real job after all those yrs of being sponcered was working in a cafie at Nordstrom for 5.00 dollars an hr. it took my a few yrs to bounce back. A decade later I owe my new life an higher income to Matt Hoffman, with the x-games I was able to do shows again for seaworld and Disneyland for about 8 more yrs. HE Helped me to afford my condo and car,etc. thanks matt. you gave me my 2nd child hood. love all you guys . this is personal shit .but im ok with tellin my all. anymore questions just private me on facebook. anytime. im open . Rick Allison

#75 2013-04-24 7:39pm

Bipolar
No Sho, Fo Sho.

The REAL Radical Rick! Love it bro!

Board footer

View Cart →