You are not logged in.

1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler  RSS Feed

#1 2013-04-11 2:24pm

brunson67
Museum Addict
From: Temecula, Ca.
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 1060
Bikes: 13

1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

I had posted a question regarding if I should run stagerred tires on this bike, but I decided to go with 2.125" front and rear. I scored this bike off of Ebay, just as it was listed I stumbled accross it, it was listed under Scrambler, with a buy it now or best offer, I can say I gave an offer and it was accepted, a great deal I might add. The bike was found at an estate sale, original owner. No chain guard tabs or kickstand provision. I just finished restoring some Black Tuff I's for it, added some survivor scrambler knobbies, added a Troxel seat, survivor grips. Next phase I'm going to install a NOS set of 7.5' Ashtabula stamped cranks, Schwinn Mag Scrambler Sprocket, and try and locate soem new replacement top tube decals.
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/Brunson67/1976%20Schwinn%20Competition/IMG_1055_zps61158e54.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/Brunson67/1976%20Schwinn%20Competition/IMG_9152_zpsc37d0664.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/Brunson67/1976%20Schwinn%20Competition/IMG_2589_zps4400831d.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/Brunson67/1976%20Schwinn%20Competition/IMG_2580_zps77d4d004.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/Brunson67/1976%20Schwinn%20Competition/IMG_0724_zps5cf40188.jpg


Don't confuse effort with results!

Offline

 

#2 2013-04-11 2:38pm

sfcobra65
For Sale Restricted
Registered: 2013-02-25
Posts: 307

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

VERY Good looking Scrambler !!!

Offline

 

#3 2013-04-11 2:43pm

KoolAidMan
Pro MemberNeomaxizoomdweebie
From: Colorado Springs, CO
Registered: 2011-05-14
Posts: 4285
Bikes: 4

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Cool bike. Two questions; is the Competition Scrambler all 4130? and ... Is you wife/gf/daughter flipping us all the bird in pic #2 ?


The clock struck two, I shot my goo...

Offline

 

#4 2013-04-11 3:47pm

brunson67
Museum Addict
From: Temecula, Ca.
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 1060
Bikes: 13

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Myunderstanding is yes, all 4130. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if she's giving me/us the bird! I do recall asking here to pose nude on the bike, maybe that prompted the finger! LOL


Don't confuse effort with results!

Offline

 

#5 2013-04-11 4:16pm

KoolAidMan
Pro MemberNeomaxizoomdweebie
From: Colorado Springs, CO
Registered: 2011-05-14
Posts: 4285
Bikes: 4

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Thanks for the bike info.
That seems like the response you should get from "that" question.


The clock struck two, I shot my goo...

Offline

 

#6 2013-04-11 4:32pm

ncmalko1
Pro Member
From: Phoenix via Philly
Registered: 2011-04-30
Posts: 2581
Bikes: 15

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

That is one great bike that really brings back memories!


Let's go Philadelpha Eagles!

Offline

 

#7 2013-04-11 6:04pm

Carbon
Expert
From: NC
Registered: 2010-10-24
Posts: 531
Bikes: 8

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Great find! And the year of my birth, I can never seem to find a cool bmx from that year. Congrats on the score, looks sweet with the Tuffs.cool


If your psycho and you know it clap your hands! (That's your cue)

Offline

 

#8 2013-04-11 7:29pm

brunson67
Museum Addict
From: Temecula, Ca.
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 1060
Bikes: 13

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Thanks everyone, I have been looking for one of these early Schwinn Comps for awhile. Unbelievable how good a shape this bike is in. I was 9 when this bike was built/sold.

Last edited by brunson67 (2013-04-11 9:13pm)


Don't confuse effort with results!

Offline

 

#9 2013-04-11 7:34pm

1979-4ever
Pro Member
From: 1060 West Addison
Registered: 2011-08-02
Posts: 2116
Bikes: 5

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

nice scrambler, tuf ones in killer shape too!


Needs: 79 or 80 nos/mint Chestnut brown SX-100 or SX-500 Scrambler frame - Single Gusset, smooth brazing, made in Chi-town not Taiwan.

Offline

 

#10 2013-04-11 9:03pm

silverz
Expert
From: Palo Alto, CA
Registered: 2007-12-04
Posts: 671

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

very cool.


Ad astra per alas porci!

Offline

 

#11 2013-04-11 9:08pm

MrOlive
Expert
From: Boulder, CO
Registered: 2011-01-30
Posts: 965
Bikes: 36
Website

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

I have a chrome 76 in sweeet shape. Mines a 36\36 tho. I was lucky to find some N.O.S. water float stickers for it smile


I got lots of stuff, what you need? lol

Offline

 

#12 2013-04-11 9:16pm

brunson67
Museum Addict
From: Temecula, Ca.
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 1060
Bikes: 13

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Your G-Boy has me drooling! I grew up in Corona California, right where these were built, I want one!


Don't confuse effort with results!

Offline

 

#13 2013-04-11 9:21pm

brunson67
Museum Addict
From: Temecula, Ca.
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 1060
Bikes: 13

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

1979-4ever wrote:

nice scrambler, tuf ones in killer shape too!

Black Tuffs can typically clean up relatively easy, I use Mothers "Back to Black", I has also use black shoe polish to bring back rich black color. These Tuffs were treated to two dish washing cycles in the Dish Washer Machine, then 3 applications of back to black, after I blended some of the blemishes.


Don't confuse effort with results!

Offline

 

#14 2013-04-11 9:26pm

duckman
Pro MemberDuck Commander
From: Hixson, TN
Registered: 2009-11-22
Posts: 3470
Bikes: 1
Website

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

You need a tractor tire on the rear to make it really bling . smile


Show me on the doll where they touched you .

Offline

 

#15 2013-04-11 9:37pm

brunson67
Museum Addict
From: Temecula, Ca.
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 1060
Bikes: 13

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

duckman wrote:

You need a tractor tire on the rear to make it really bling . smile

Yes, tractor tire would be cool, I like your Moto mag, I have a 1979 Moto Mag in the garage waiting it's turn.


Don't confuse effort with results!

Offline

 

#16 2013-04-11 10:29pm

djnew
Centurion Member
From: United Kingdom
Registered: 2012-06-26
Posts: 122

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

That is a Schweeet Schwinn hmm
What bike has the Dale MX-60 Mags on it?  I looked at your listed bikes but couldnt see it....... very cool   collection by the way

Offline

 

#17 2013-04-11 10:42pm

brunson67
Museum Addict
From: Temecula, Ca.
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 1060
Bikes: 13

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

djnew wrote:

That is a Schweeet Schwinn hmm
What bike has the Dale MX-60 Mags on it?  I looked at your listed bikes but couldnt see it....... very cool   collection by the way

The dales are on my 1977 Stroker, it's in my museum, you must have overlooked it. Thanks for the compliment! I have a handful of bikes that I haven't posted yet.


Don't confuse effort with results!

Offline

 

#18 2013-04-11 11:52pm

djnew
Centurion Member
From: United Kingdom
Registered: 2012-06-26
Posts: 122

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

brunson67 wrote:

djnew wrote:

That is a Schweeet Schwinn hmm
What bike has the Dale MX-60 Mags on it?  I looked at your listed bikes but couldnt see it....... very cool   collection by the way

The dales are on my 1977 Stroker, it's in my museum, you must have overlooked it. Thanks for the compliment! I have a handful of bikes that I haven't posted yet.

Sorry, I see it now big_smile,
Youre right though, I did overlook it as I was drawn to the Mag Scrambler and your Back in the day pics ..... i wish I had more pics of my bikes I had owned roll

Offline

 

#19 2013-04-12 1:43am

bmxgrimreaper
Evel Kinevel
From: homer city pa
Registered: 2011-02-04
Posts: 3274

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

brunson67 wrote:

I had posted a question regarding if I should run stagerred tires on this bike, but I decided to go with 2.125" front and rear. I scored this bike off of Ebay, just as it was listed I stumbled accross it, it was listed under Scrambler, with a buy it now or best offer, I can say I gave an offer and it was accepted, a great deal I might add. The bike was found at an estate sale, original owner. No chain guard tabs or kickstand provision. I just finished restoring some Black Tuff I's for it, added some survivor scrambler knobbies, added a Troxel seat, survivor grips. Next phase I'm going to install a NOS set of 7.5' Ashtabula stamped cranks, Schwinn Mag Scrambler Sprocket, and try and locate soem new replacement top tube decals.
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22 … 158e54.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22 … 7d0664.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22 … 00831d.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22 … d4d004.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22 … f40188.jpg

I have this bike. Yours dose look like mine, Is your Serial # start with gm? on the lower right side of the head tube ?

Offline

 

#20 2013-04-12 4:06am

jumpin jim
Pro Member
From: Shelby Twp, MI
Registered: 2009-01-27
Posts: 4357
Bikes: 2

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

That reminds me of the sx 100 frame that came out after the original mag scrambler. I thought it was more like 77 or later those came out. Oh well I'm old!

Nice Bike big_smile

Offline

 

#21 2013-04-12 4:13pm

coasty
Pro Member
From: Queensland, Australia
Registered: 2007-03-25
Posts: 3194
Bikes: 18

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Very nice ride mate.
I have a 2.125 on the rear of my Stroker. It looked weird with a skinny on there.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/486202_10151217591507420_1126014888_n.jpg


70's bmx is where it's at.

Offline

 

#22 2013-04-12 9:16pm

Backinthesaddle44
Pro Member"be careful what you ask for"
From: Lower Slower DE
Registered: 2012-07-01
Posts: 4913

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Nice find, i was still riding my crappy Sting Ray clone Kent when my best friend got a Scrambler for Christmas 77/78. It was maroon with yellow tuffs. I was jealous till i got a Goose the next year. We rode the tires off them things and built more jumps out of plywood and dirt then i can count. Great times, great bike. big_smile

http://re-cycle.com/images/Schwinn/1976cat/44-45.jpg


We are paid by those who learn by our mistakes ~ The Working Hour

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle - Plato

Offline

 

#23 2013-04-12 9:38pm

brunson67
Museum Addict
From: Temecula, Ca.
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 1060
Bikes: 13

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

coasty wrote:

Very nice ride mate.
I have a 2.125 on the rear of my Stroker. It looked weird with a skinny on there.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ … 4888_n.jpg

Nice looking Stroker, blue, just like my Stroker!


Don't confuse effort with results!

Offline

 

#24 2013-04-12 9:42pm

brunson67
Museum Addict
From: Temecula, Ca.
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 1060
Bikes: 13

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Backinthesaddle44 wrote:

Nice find, i was still riding my crappy Sting Ray clone Kent when my best friend got a Scrambler for Christmas 77/78. It was maroon with yellow tuffs. I was jealous till i got a Goose the next year. We rode the tires off them things and built more jumps out of plywood and dirt then i can count. Great times, great bike. big_smile

http://re-cycle.com/images/Schwinn/1976cat/44-45.jpg

Yep, My first "real" bmx bike was a 1979 Mag Scrambler SX100, Spicy Chesnut with yellow tuffs. I built a tribute bike, it's in my museum. I also have a picture of me standing next to my original bike the day I brought it home, I also show a few pics after my younger brother took over the bike, at that point I had done upgrades, VDC gold ano bars, KKT Rat Traps, Shimano 3 piece cranks gold ano, can't remember what grips, black MX seat.


Don't confuse effort with results!

Offline

 

#25 2013-04-13 4:38am

nycet3
Pro Member
From: Toronto/Boston
Registered: 2010-02-12
Posts: 1367
Bikes: 8

Re: 1976 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

That's a beauty, man. Nice touch with the Shimano sticker on the seat stay.


"Ride it like you're riding after the dude who stole it."

Looking for a USA-made pre 1981 Redline MXII f/f with original black paint and decals.

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →