You are not logged in.

Hutch PRO STAR Unboxed! - WOW! Thanks Tortuga!  RSS Feed

#51 2013-03-29 10:09am

3rdgear
Pro MemberGranny Gear
Bikes: 28

Re: Hutch PRO STAR Unboxed! - WOW! Thanks Tortuga!

I have NEVER had an issue with stainless spokes with mag hubs, I've owned at least 14 sets with no issues.

Always looking for MXR hubs and pre-88 Free Agent parts.

#52 2013-03-29 4:39pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

3rdgear wrote:

I have NEVER had an issue with stainless spokes with mag hubs, I've owned at least 14 sets with no issues.

Over time Bret-over time...  I own them also AND the original set that I have are corroded AT the spoke flanges only near where the spokes go through.  The middle of the hub shell is perfect-the closer you get to the spoke holes the more corrosion and pit marks you will see.  Usually the outer flanges are the worst on any Mag shelled hub that used SS spokes.

An excerpt from an article:

It is recognizable by the presence of a buildup of corrosion at the joint between the dissimilar metals. For example, when aluminum alloys or magnesium alloys are in contact with steel (carbon steel or stainless steel), galvanic corrosion can occur and accelerate the corrosion of the aluminum or magnesium.

This would most be recognizable Bret when these items were used as intended-ridden in rain mud and dirt-NOT like we pamper them today.  It happens to Magnesium much faster than an aluminum alloy-just look how Magnesium acts when polished and left as is-it corrodes before your eyes almost when it turns dark.

Last edited by JS-44SDS (2013-03-29 4:40pm)

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#53 2013-03-29 4:45pm

b_koenig
For Sale Restricted
Bikes: 3

CW5150 wrote:

OLDSKOOLPK wrote:

Here is the early test specs
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/ … MXAweb.jpg

2 page color ad is in this thread!
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=334259

I don't think I have seen this one before.  Interesting with B1B's, Carlisles and ACS seat/post.  Were any ever sold like that or had they switched out to all Hutch branded stuff before they hit the LBS?

BTW...killer bike Brian.  Can't wait to see it cleaned up.  Or put it back in the box and ship it down for the Fling so we can all take a look!  big_smile

Maybe next year for bringing it to The Fling if I still have it.  This year I won't be bringing anything.  I won't bring a bike to a show that's 1/2 done.  Besides, I'll be in and out getting in Thursday night and leaving Sunday morning. I wanna spend the 2 1/2 days that I'm there drinking beer in the sun and not unpacking a bike, then building a bike, lugging a bike around, then taking a bike apart, then packing a bike, then shipping a bike.  I wanna try to keep my Blood Alcohol at a steady .10 or so for the 2 1/2 days that I'm there.

On another note, thanks for all the helpful info fellas!

#54 2013-03-30 6:06am

CW5150
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

b_koenig wrote:

CW5150 wrote:

OLDSKOOLPK wrote:

Here is the early test specs
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/ … MXAweb.jpg

2 page color ad is in this thread!
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=334259

I don't think I have seen this one before.  Interesting with B1B's, Carlisles and ACS seat/post.  Were any ever sold like that or had they switched out to all Hutch branded stuff before they hit the LBS?

BTW...killer bike Brian.  Can't wait to see it cleaned up.  Or put it back in the box and ship it down for the Fling so we can all take a look!  big_smile

Maybe next year for bringing it to The Fling if I still have it.  This year I won't be bringing anything.  I won't bring a bike to a show that's 1/2 done.  Besides, I'll be in and out getting in Thursday night and leaving Sunday morning. I wanna spend the 2 1/2 days that I'm there drinking beer in the sun and not unpacking a bike, then building a bike, lugging a bike around, then taking a bike apart, then packing a bike, then shipping a bike.  I wanna try to keep my Blood Alcohol at a steady .10 or so for the 2 1/2 days that I'm there.

On another note, thanks for all the helpful info fellas!

Spoken like a true Wisconsinite!  lol  I'll be right there with ya!

"Everyone is winging it, some just do it more confidently."

#55 2013-03-30 2:41pm

b_koenig
For Sale Restricted

I had a little time this afternoon and took the bike completely apart.  Wow!  There's a lot of crusty old grease on everything.  I have all hardware and crusty parts soaking in water with Dawn and will leave them soak for about a week.  I'll see if it will break it.  In the past, I used carb cleaner, but some parts have decals that I don't want ruined.  On another note, here's what I found:

esp_mini_wi wrote:

put a magnet to it  if they are titanium the magnet will not stick ,  by the way im glad you bought it  and its in wisconsin now,  i have  a deep h  real deal  send me  a pm

Yep, Ti axles.  Magnet doesn't stick.  Just checked.

As for the spokes - the ones on it are rusty and seem to be chromium Asahis.

#56 2013-03-30 2:59pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

b_koenig wrote:

I had a little time this afternoon and took the bike completely apart.  Wow!  There's a lot of crusty old grease on everything.  I have all hardware and crusty parts soaking in water with Dawn and will leave them soak for about a week.  I'll see if it will break it.  In the past, I used carb cleaner, but some parts have decals that I don't want ruined.  On another note, here's what I found:

esp_mini_wi wrote:

put a magnet to it  if they are titanium the magnet will not stick ,  by the way im glad you bought it  and its in wisconsin now,  i have  a deep h  real deal  send me  a pm

Do yourself a favor-go to Lowes and buy a gallon container of OMS-odorless mineral spirits-It's very mild as far as solvents go.  Nothing close to gasoline or paint thinner and it doesn't have any odor.  Put the parts in-sealed bearings (with dust covers off of course) or anything else that has dried grease on it...leave it over night and scrub with a toothbrush-like NEW.  Be careful removing the dust covers-best done with a brand new razor blade.  I do this all the time to service sealed bearings that most people would replace-like when people spend BANK to send hubs to PHIL for bearing replacement.  I do it for free and can use the grease of my choosing-yes it makes a difference.

I highly doubt water a dawn will do little to soften that kind of grease Brian.  You need a true petroleum based solvent to break it up.

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#57 2013-03-30 6:24pm

Charlie Brown
Pro MemberCB Doom

Church.

Be sure to follow my BMX restoration page on Instagram: charlies.bmx.restorations

#58 2013-04-01 8:55am

fitpays
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

looptailnut wrote:

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx11 … 280080.jpg

Nice Pads!

"I'll show you my gun - my uzi weighs a ton
Because I'm Public Enemy number one"

#59 2013-04-01 9:02am

G.
Pro Member
Bikes: 51
For Sale: 5
Website

b_koenig wrote:

esp_mini_wi wrote:

go to a bike shop and pick up Clean Streak or Speed Clean, theyre designed for use on bike parts. I'm not sure how they will affect stickers, so be careful around them. Use a soft brush and it should help in removing the grime

LOOKING FOR :
Mid to Late 90's Race stuff  20 & 24"
Standard Bykes Race parts & f/f
Profile Racing chain tensioners in DK Gold (mid school ones)

RAW DEAL TEES

#60 2013-04-01 9:05am

Hutch Forever
Old Guy With a Hutch
Bikes: 6

looking forward to see this one all cleaned up and built ...

[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/superdavelui/HutchDice.jpg[/img]
                        JUST SOME OLD GUY WITH HUTCH STUFF...     

44t-Canadian support.                          WANTED :

#61 2013-04-01 11:38am

b_koenig
For Sale Restricted

I ended up just trying letting all hardware sit in Dawn and water over the weekend.  All crusty hardware cleaned up nicely.  I'm just finishing wiping stuff down with Mothers.  I'll post some pics when I get the hardware and parts done.  I pretty much have everything done except for the chain, freewheel, frame, forks, post, and bars. 
The hoops have pretty bad peppering, so I'll be on the lookout for a nice used set of chrome 7x's.  The spokes are trashed.  I have some Asahis that I'll clean up and use to replace these.  I found a chrome Deep H stem, Rad Kaps, and brake set up.  I'm just waiting for that stuff to get here. 

I still need the following in nice used shape:
Chrome Araya 7x 20x1.75' Rims
Black Comp IV 20x1.75 tire set
OG chrome Hutch Zap Pad set
Hutch number plate

#62 2013-04-01 12:33pm

CW5150
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

b_koenig wrote:

I ended up just trying letting all hardware sit in Dawn and water over the weekend.  All crusty hardware cleaned up nicely.  I'm just finishing wiping stuff down with Mothers.  I'll post some pics when I get the hardware and parts done.  I pretty much have everything done except for the chain, freewheel, frame, forks, post, and bars. 
The hoops have pretty bad peppering, so I'll be on the lookout for a nice used set of chrome 7x's.  The spokes are trashed.  I have some Asahis that I'll clean up and use to replace these.  I found a chrome Deep H stem, Rad Kaps, and brake set up.  I'm just waiting for that stuff to get here. 

I still need the following in nice used shape:
Chrome Araya 7x 20x1.75' Rims
Black Comp IV 20x1.75 tire set
OG chrome Hutch Zap Pad set
Hutch number plate

I will have set of chrome 7x's for sale at the Fling.  I believe they are pretty decent, but if you don't find any between now and then you can see for yourself!

"Everyone is winging it, some just do it more confidently."

#63 2013-04-01 12:34pm

Vbiker
Expert
Bikes: 29

Love those kind of scores. Awesome!big_smile

#64 2013-04-02 12:04pm

b_koenig
For Sale Restricted

Well, I was able to clean and polish everything that I got on the bike.  I got a brake set up and cleaned / polished that as well.  I'm waiting on the chrome OG deep H stem that I bought (Should be here today), dated 1983 Dia Compe brake cable, Rad Kaps, Chrome Sugino slotted chainring, and Asahi Chromium spokes that I bought.  I am soaking the chain, freewheel, and bearings that came on the bike in WD40 and those will clean up perfectly.  I am really amazed how everything shines!  There was a layer of grease that was holding a ton of dirt on every single part.  I would like to upgrade the chrome 7x hoops.  The ones that came on the bike are peeling a little and pretty peppered up.  I am also on the lookout for chrome Zap Pads, Hutch number plate, and Comp 4 tires.  Here's a couple of pics of where it's at:
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/bkoenig1234/DSCN7392_zpsf11cb1c9.jpg
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/bkoenig1234/DSCN7395_zps1c8bcada.jpg
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/bkoenig1234/DSCN7396_zps5c2abcca.jpg
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/bkoenig1234/DSCN7397_zps4f39b865.jpg
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

#65 2013-04-02 12:07pm

OLDSKOOLPK
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 13

Nice!!!!!

I BUY ANYTHING OLD SCHOOL SE RACING! Framesets, stickers, bars, padsets, jerseys, helmets and etc! 
Always looking for NOS or MINT USED 20 inch Yellow Label Comp II and 3 tires in black and 20 inch Cycle Pro Snake belly tires in black with or without skinwall! 
RIP Shawn Grasso, Donnie is making $ hand over fist from your collection/donation and losing friends daily. wink

#66 2013-04-02 12:23pm

tdarby
Pro Member

I cant stop myself. I keep coming back to look.

#67 2013-04-02 12:28pm

TXBONE
Pro MemberTWENTYFOUR7EVEN
Bikes: 27

Damn b, stoked for you. I like how you appreciate what you have. I do the same thing you do. coolbig_smile

I can not sit still. I have been tested for A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. and have neither. I don't need coffee, I just need a B.M.X. or surfboard to consistently ride and I'll be happy. smile
INSTAGRAM: @sean_colburn          CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS. SEARCH: 27TXBONE

[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/SEA_ELECTRIC/Internet%20bs%20images/815a8d608e0c528b08240357ddbcb522_zpsdedf4245.jpg[/img]

#68 2013-04-02 12:30pm

b_koenig
For Sale Restricted

Thanks.  Oh ya, I also have some NOS pedal cages.  I'd rather find another used one to match the one that I have though.  I'm waiting on 2 people on that one who say they may have one (or a set).

#69 2013-04-02 2:33pm

Erikv
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 4

OHHH Boy that is going to be a sweet build.big_smile

#70 2013-04-02 2:48pm

Hutch Forever
Old Guy With a Hutch
Bikes: 6

This will be a sweet survivor build ...

[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/superdavelui/HutchDice.jpg[/img]
                        JUST SOME OLD GUY WITH HUTCH STUFF...     

44t-Canadian support.                          WANTED :

#71 2013-04-02 3:03pm

esp_mini_wi
Pro MemberKing of Scores
For Sale: 64

rockford is going to have a bad arse bike there this year big_smile

Last edited by esp_mini_wi (2013-04-02 3:03pm)

I need beaners!!!!!!

#72 2013-04-02 5:27pm

b_koenig
For Sale Restricted

esp_mini_wi wrote:

rockford is going to have a bad arse bike there this year big_smile

Nah.  I doubt it'll be there this year.  If the pads and plate pop up by then......  But I doubt they will.  I can wait.  On the other hand, I spent the afternoon cleaning the crusty dried up grease off of the original chain and freewheel. I soaked the chain, bearings, and freewheel in WD40 over the weekend to loosen the grease up.  The chain took me a couple hours this afternoon.  The grease just wiped right off of the freewheel and headset bearings.  Here's the results:
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/bkoenig1234/DSCN7399_zpse4f51e05.jpg

I had said earlier how the parts on the bike were never touched and were in amazing shape.  Check the back sides of Aerospeed bottom bracket.  Not even a single extraction mark:
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/bkoenig1234/DSCN7398_zpscf41972a.jpg

#73 2013-04-06 3:16pm

b_koenig
For Sale Restricted

Pretty good week with parts this week!  I ended up getting this stuff in the mail: Rad Kaps, Comp 4's, DC dated 1983 brake cable, and a chrome Sugino chainring.  The chainring was used and pretty dirty with a lot of dried crusty grease on it when I got it.  I spent a night cleaning it and it turned out to be just what I was looking for.
Thanks to all who helped!  My goal is to find all nice used parts for this bike, but the price was right on the NOS Rad Kaps and finding used Comp 4's in nice shape hasn't been easy. 
I had thought that I found a chrome Western H stem, but that fell through.  So I'm adding the stem back to my list of needs to finish the bike.  As of now, I still need the following in nice used shape:
OG (Not JDB) used chrome (or possibly silver) Hutch Deep H stem - No polish or restore!
OG Chrome Hutch Zap Pad Set
Hutch Stadium Plate
Chrome 20 x 1.75 Araya 7x Set

Here's the booty that I got in the mail this week:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/b_koenig/DSCN7402_zps0e08f3dc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/b_koenig/DSCN7400_zpsf6874686.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/b_koenig/DSCN7401_zpsc6c06fc4.jpg

#74 2013-04-06 4:07pm

XJguy
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2
Website

Very nice, congrats.

WTB Bully stem.
WTB Peregrine Super Pros, not pitted.
WTB Kuwahara freestyle stem engraved.

#75 2013-04-06 5:31pm

HUTCH-HUNTER
Pro MemberAKA MATT JONES
Bikes: 20

Awesome!! Totally Awesome!!'

Board footer

View Cart →