You are not logged in.

Who picked up the Aerospeeds for $3500 on E-Bay?  RSS Feed

#51 2013-03-01 11:19am

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

Re: Who picked up the Aerospeeds for $3500 on E-Bay?

vintage chromoly wrote:

spyker wrote:

Lewis wrote:

Good to see the hobby is well and alive good luck to the buyer hope it completes his/her build and would love to see it.cool

Well and alive?

This latest ebay sale is a good example of the greed in this hobby,it's what's slowly killing it,not keeping it alive.With prices like this,people who want to complete their dream projects can no longer afford to finish their build.

This statement is at the top of the list of the dumbest things I've ever read here!

Your ignorance never ceases to amaze me spyker. lol

Oh I heard alot worse coming from you most of the time.

lollollollollol

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 is $20!

#52 2013-03-01 11:26am

Team Edge RC
Pro Member
Website

This is what you people should do:  follow up on the sellers feedback and wait for the cranks / auction number to appear.  The buyer will show up and when he or she leaves feedback for the cranks you'll know who the buyer is at that time by clicking on the buyers feedback he left.  Once this is done, then you can look into the buyers auctions or other items the buyer has purchased, up for sale  or sold.  Feedback is usually left within a month if not less.  If you never see it?  Chances are it was never sold and wife, family member or friend bid up the item instead of the seller giving it away.

Robert

Your only as old as you think you are

#53 2013-03-01 11:53am

forty_three
Museum Addict
Bikes: 4

kilrgt wrote:

For the life of me I still cant understand why people care what others are willing to pay? Look at it like this most of you have cars..you decided to but a Honda civic because thats what you can afford, the next guy dicides to buy a Lambo or whatever..is he killing the car industy?  Play in the bracket you can afford, dont worry what someone else is paying...The winning bidder Obviously wanted those cranks, most of you are pissed because you didnt pick them up for a steel.

You wanna play you gotta pay.

Spot on, but might not have been the best analogy. The difference is, and the reason for the whining about what people pay (playing along your car analogy) is that if you want to buy a Lambo, and have the means, you go to where they are sold and you buy them for the market price.

It's not like there's someone who found a Lambo in their attic that used to belong to their nephew and they are going to throw it on Craisglst for 25 bucks because they have no idea what it is. IMO, the primary reason people complain about what others pay is not that others *can* pay it. It's that when they do, it makes it harder to score for no money.

Kinda why there's hardly any decent stuff in Thrift Stores anymore. Because they can ebay search anything. These eye popping sales takes more of these things out of the pool and those without the means to play in the league are left to complain because they probably won't find the next one that is in a barn.

This sums up every hobby ever. Another thing that sums up every hobby is they rise and fall.

15 years ago, people were stabbing each other for baseball cards. Prices will level out. Either you step up to the plate and pay to play or you be patient.

Either way, most everyone just wishes everyone else would be quiet about it.

Last edited by forty_three (2013-03-01 11:53am)

I thrashed your grail, and I loved every second of it.

#54 2013-03-01 11:59am

Coco

My thoughts on this are if it is not your money and not your item then it is none of your business who paid what or why. Keep the judgements to yourselves.

It is just an old crankset that went for a lot of cash so who cares?

Last edited by Coco (2013-03-01 12:00pm)

#55 2013-03-01 12:59pm

farmboy
Pro Memberzen aspirationalist
Bikes: 15

king stinger wrote:

JAMMJ wrote:

dayum, I remember seeing those Nakamichi turntables back in the 80's and early 90's.

Dang,it looks like i need to put my Micro Seiki turntable on ebay,the dragon is cool but these were the best bitd.Isolated motor not on the base of the turntable but off to the side with belt drive.I don't have a pic but google it and you can see.

Interesting opportunity for a comparative analysis exercise. Your turntable may very well be superior in every aspect, but will the target market perceive it as such? Or will the Nakamichi bring more on any given day because more people will remember the brand and it is therefore more desirable?

The general populace would look at these cranks and never understand why anyone would pay anything for them. A devoted collector might be willing to pay twice what they went for. Ultimately, they're pieces of metal. Any and all value attached to them depends entirely on the perceptions of each individual.

Self Appointed Assistant Associate Treasurer of the 44t Fan Booster Club, Western Division.

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. On and on, 'til the break of dawn.

#56 2013-03-01 1:07pm

Coco

farmboy wrote:

king stinger wrote:

JAMMJ wrote:

dayum, I remember seeing those Nakamichi turntables back in the 80's and early 90's.

Dang,it looks like i need to put my Micro Seiki turntable on ebay,the dragon is cool but these were the best bitd.Isolated motor not on the base of the turntable but off to the side with belt drive.I don't have a pic but google it and you can see.

Interesting opportunity for a comparative analysis exercise. Your turntable may very well be superior in every aspect, but will the target market perceive it as such? Or will the Nakamichi bring more on any given day because more people will remember the brand and it is therefore more desirable?

I'd still buy an Oracle.

#57 2013-03-01 1:10pm

farmboy
Pro Memberzen aspirationalist
Bikes: 15

Coco wrote:

farmboy wrote:

king stinger wrote:

I'd still buy an Oracle.

What does that mean? (Seriously. I know nothing about turntables, vintage or otherwise.)

Self Appointed Assistant Associate Treasurer of the 44t Fan Booster Club, Western Division.

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. On and on, 'til the break of dawn.

#58 2013-03-01 1:10pm

S&M BEN
Pro Member
Bikes: 29
For Sale: 29

The whole BB looks like a repro to me and of course no close up pics and no mention that its all original! Maybe even the arms are repro, they have been reproed a few times and I don't mean JDB or Johnny Choppers. I got my set a few years ago and wanted used so I knew they were the real deal and got super lucky that my spindle isn't cracked like almost all originals.

WTB: S&M Redneck xlt stem charcoal and gold and blue
WTB: S&M Purple Enduro V2 53 or 55
WTB: Credence rootbeer brown stem
WTB: Orange S&M Tuffman sprocket, xlt seatclamp nickel, blue! Bar tabs"ends" in blue and nickel, green
S&M dx pedals.
WTB: PL-20 Carrera vinyl toptube pad.

#59 2013-03-01 1:12pm

Coco

farmboy wrote:

What does that mean? (Seriously. I know nothing about turntables, vintage or otherwise.)

Oracles are crazy, Canadian made turntables mounted on a plate of glass. They are really nice and I'm too poor to buy one. lol

One day.

#60 2013-03-01 1:13pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 1
Website

SHilled..  buyer had 100% bidding with the seller.  winkroll

#61 2013-03-01 1:13pm

S&M BEN
Pro Member

The arms and bb might be original but that spindle is way to new looking.

WTB: Orange S&M Tuffman sprocket, xlt seatclamp nickel, blue! Bar tabs"ends" in blue and nickel, green
S&M dx pedals.

#62 2013-03-01 1:14pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Website

Team Edge RC wrote:

This is what you people should do:  follow up on the sellers feedback and wait for the cranks / auction number to appear.  The buyer will show up and when he or she leaves feedback for the cranks you'll know who the buyer is at that time by clicking on the buyers feedback he left.  Once this is done, then you can look into the buyers auctions or other items the buyer has purchased, up for sale  or sold.  Feedback is usually left within a month if not less.  If you never see it?  Chances are it was never sold and wife, family member or friend bid up the item instead of the seller giving it away.

Robert

This, all day...  shill bidding fother muckers!!  lol

#63 2013-03-01 1:22pm

S&M BEN
Pro Member

I dont get why someone would shill and take the chance of them self winning it and then have to pay those fees!! I know people do it but that would suck to pay for that auction and not even have sold them!lol

Last edited by S&M BEN (2013-03-01 1:22pm)

S&M dx pedals.

#64 2013-03-01 1:41pm

flatland1974
Pro MemberOzone Hole Plugger
For Sale: 76

$3500 ain't SH-T if you want something!Come on now...how many of you burned that much on poker....or on strippers...or both!lol $3500 is a decent turbo upgrade or a Super speeder ticket (lawyer fees)!So if the man wants to drop $3500 on a set  of cranks...so be it.....I can start this same kind of thread on my SST hub on what I've been offered for it,but these things (RARE BMX Parts) are ALOT harder to find then money!wink

Taking NOS to POS since 1984!!!!!

#65 2013-03-01 2:02pm

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

I paid 8 grand to beat an impaired once. Id rather have bought 3500 dollar cranks... neutral

I love dead people....

#66 2013-03-01 2:03pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Website

S&M BEN wrote:

I dont get why someone would shill and take the chance of them self winning it and then have to pay those fees!! I know people do it but that would suck to pay for that auction and not even have sold them!lol

I agree!  I don't get it, I see it all the time, and know a couple people that do it constantly.  Makes no sense to me at all.

Many times, they do this, repost as a BIN, and say the buyer skipped out.  Then, the guy who got second, jumps on the lofted price because he thinks that now it's worth it.  Also, then you see more of the same item here, and everyone for a stupid price.

Personally, I could give a rats ass who pays how much for what, but it drives me crazy when everyone thinks they're going to get that money for theirs.

Lastly, it's really a roll of the dice, what shillers are really doing, is taking the chance that the people that are bidding, are so emotionally invested (I know my heart starts pumping at the end of an auction), that they bid a super high ceiling, or they already have.

Example.

Current bid at $100.

I want it bad, and want to make sure I get it.

I bid $1000

Now price is at $101.

Seller shill bids $200, and sees I'm still winning.

Seller shill bids $500, and sees I'm still winning.

Seller continues to shill, taking the chance that my ceiling is higher.

Either I end up getting screwed, then back out of it after the auction ends, or I pay a stupid price.

So many ways to do it...  hence why I rarely use ebay.  I don't trust any sellers on there.

#67 2013-03-01 2:30pm

chromeking
Museum Newbie

Hey all...I'm very new here and don't post much because i don't ever want to step on toes.  But here goes...I collect because I love the thrill of the chase...mostly CL or friends getting rid of stuff.  I collect because it does bring me back to my childhood.  The hobby for me is cheaper than trying to buy a tranny for my 56' Olds.
I get what I can as cheap as I can...that's just my style. I haven't paid $500 for my entire 13 bike collection.  I don't have anything close to a Hutch or CW or anything, but I love em all.  A Hutch would be like me buying a Caddy...prob never gonna happen.  BUT...I appreciate every bike on here because every person and bike has a story on how and why it's been restored/saved/survived.  This is addressing the comment about people who collect for the nostalgia factor...that's me.  I like how diff every bike company is, and prob couldn't pull a trick right now if I tried. $3500 is out of my range but, more power to someone who put up that kind of ching.

#68 2013-03-01 2:45pm

wnnapla
Museum Addict

fltchop wrote:

That auction did not seem crazy to me all .

Lol, not when you have the power to corner the market........big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

Always looking for "NOS" race parts from 80'-85'........

MEMBERS I WILL NOT DEAL WITH:
Roodillon, Torked067, 68FLHHD, LaughnJar, Mr. Willie

#69 2013-03-01 2:46pm

psychoduddycycles
Pro MemberWAYYYY in the red since 1983
Bikes: 10

The point is not how much dough you have, how adult you are or, how big your "collector" pants are. It's the simple fact that those cranks aren't worth $3500 to anybody except the idiot that bid them up. Thinking otherwise is just blowing smoke up your own ass.

Last edited by psychoduddycycles (2013-03-01 3:41pm)

Sometimes, to make a paradise, you gotta release a SERPENT.

#70 2013-03-01 2:51pm

picazzo5150
Pro Member

spyker wrote:

Lewis wrote:

Good to see the hobby is well and alive good luck to the buyer hope it completes his/her build and would love to see it.cool

Well and alive?

This latest ebay sale is a good example of the greed in this hobby,it's what's slowly killing it,not keeping it alive.With prices like this,people who want to complete their dream projects can no longer afford to finish their build.

I have to agree with this guy. It is greed...not supply and demand. This was a great hobby for me the past 4 years, but now the prices have skyrocketed beyond my comfort zone. I also watched this bid and I can't believe what someone paid for these cranks. There is a lot of parting and flipping going on. I remember offering to buy a certain something from a member (I will keep it that way) but I was told they rather part it on Ebay....Greed?? Yah...I think so. Hutch parts alone have gone through the roof. The demand is great and so is the supply, so I don't see the reason for these prices. Remember the day when you could buy your holy grail complete for under $500...well they're gone.hmmhmmhmm

-Keep it OG. Nothing savors the times like a survivor.

My wife says "One more bike shows up in the mail and I'm getting a lawyer!"

#71 2013-03-01 2:56pm

SR71
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

Coco wrote:

farmboy wrote:

Oracles are crazy, Canadian made turntables mounted on a plate of glass. They are really nice and I'm too poor to buy one. lol

One day.

I liked the Sota turntables, myself.
As for the bidders of the way overpriced cranks: the top bidders were probably all the same person (the seller or friends of the seller) and they were working together. Why else would you constantly see a lot of that stuff re-listed multiple times? Common sense, people! If there is a scam out there, scumbags will find a way to make it work. The high rollers (three names listed earlier in this post) work hard to make their stuff seem more valuable and artificially inflate the prices for the next buyer and the next buyer and the next buyer... Is something worth more every single time it changes hands? Hell, No! Try to call them out on something inaccurately listed- they just plead ignorance. If you don't know what it is- don't sell it as something it's not.

#72 2013-03-01 2:57pm

BlackSaturday
Pro Member
Bikes: 28
For Sale: 1

vintage chromoly wrote:

You guys that have a hard time grasping the concept of why low production and hard to find items fetch good money at auction need to take a basic course in economics.

Also, 3500 bucks is chump change in most adult hobbies. For example, vintage car collecting, militaria, art, vintage motorcycles etc.... Make bmx collectables pale in comparison as far as cost to participate goes.

Crying about how much authentic bmx gear sells for on a collector driven website is as wacky as joining a Lamborghini website and crying about what a Lamborghini costs to buy.

Agreed.

#73 2013-03-01 2:59pm

SKYWAYNE1026
Pro Member
Bikes: 18
For Sale: 1

After looking at the bid history I have to admit it looks sketchy at one point the winner with 134 FB has the high bid of 2705.99 then is outbid by 44FB at 2760.00 (at this point most would assume 44FB max bid to at least 3K or a bit over) so what does 134FB do, he goes and bids 2999.99 just under WHY? That isn't a bid someone looking to win places that is a testing the waters schill bid to drive up the price, I'm betting these will be re-listed.

Always looking for nice / rare SKYWAY bikes, parts & gear.

#74 2013-03-01 3:06pm

wilster
Expert
Bikes: 18

big_smilebig_smile

#75 2013-03-01 3:12pm

cyclone
Centurion Member
Bikes: 17

If I could afford to spend that much money on a part and it was something I'd been looking years for, it wouldn't be a problem for me. Would you put down a guy that spent that much on a comic book or a painting? To each his own. I never really cared for Hutch but that's me. I'd prefer a set of cook bros. cranks.

Board footer

View Cart →