You are not logged in.

Heart attack? me?  RSS Feed

#76 2013-02-09 7:18pm

XJguy
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2
Website

Re: Heart attack? me?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/643896_377057702372325_803119145_n.jpg

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE

Let's say it's 6.15pm and you're going home (alone of course),
...after an unusually hard day on the job. You're really tired, upset and frustrated. Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five miles (8kms) from the hospital nearest your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far. You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself..!!

NOW HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE..

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.
However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously.A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest.

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating.
The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.

WTB Bully stem.
WTB Peregrine Super Pros, not pitted.
WTB Kuwahara freestyle stem engraved.

#77 2013-02-09 7:26pm

chkn4130
Expert
Bikes: 1

Glad your doing well. Keep up the good work.

When I'm not riding BMX my other ride is a Husaberg FE 390.

#78 2013-02-09 7:44pm

Godzilla
Museum Addict

So glad you are ok Dave.  The world would be a worse place without you!  You have an awesome family.  Good thing they were close!

"Everybody has an emergency between the paypal transaction and the post office." - TentLover

#79 2013-02-09 7:46pm

ProThunder4
Museum Addict
Bikes: 9

Glad you pulled through, suzu400, and hope you're back on the bike soon.  Sounds like you are blessed to have a great family and group of friends (not to mention local emergency services with excellent response times).

You sure don't look like heart attack material in your picture, which is sobering for us "old" guys.  A good buddy of mine at work -- 40 years old, weightlifter, fit and active -- just had a heart attack while attending a trade show.  He made it, but it was close.  He was the last guy in our division I would have thought was at risk.

I don't dwell on stuff like this, but I could do a lot better in the diet department.  I'm thin and pretty fit, but I just had mac & cheese, beef jerky, a ham and cheese sandwich, and cake for dinner, which is pretty typical for me (since I gave up drinking, I've had to eat a ton to maintain my weight).  Your story definitely makes a guy think.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; / For he to-day that sheds his blood with me / Shall be my brother ... / gentlemen ... now-a-bed / Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here / And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks / That fought with us

#80 2013-02-09 7:48pm

preGTpowerlite
Expert

Damn man this really made me think. I too just bought my first new school bike and plan on racing again this summer. I dont drink much BUT I smoke a pack a day. My wife has been on me to quit and bought me a e-cig kit last week to help. I feel like I am in decent shape but this goes to show you never know when it will catch up to you. Im sorry to hear about your heart attack. Thanks for sharing your story and I hope you can get back on the bikes soon!

Oh, and your green bike looks great!cool

#81 2013-02-10 5:24am

joey1320
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

Wow that was really powerful. Glad you are okay and getting better smile

I have a question for you and I think others here would love to know, what do you think you can do or change to prevent this from ever happening again?

Atherosclerosis is the most common cause of heart problems and its mainly cause by an unhealthy diet, drug abuse, smoking, lack of exercise and such. If we look at our daily lives, can we pick a few things we can change for the better?

Last year I quit(I mean once in a blue moon I still do) eating fast foods and fried foods. Now I go for salads and veggies. I never smoked and I quit back on alcohol. I would come home from work and drink 3-4 beers every nite. So my wife and I decided to change our lifestyle and take a more healthy way and now I have lost 36lbs and feeling better.

Anybody can do it!! It's all mental. Eat right, drink less and exercise more.
Take those carpet queens you are building and put them to good use.
Extend your years on this earth as much as possible so you can spend them with family and friends.

Thanks for passing on your experience. Wish you nothing but the quickest recovery.

Keep Calm and Ride On!

#82 2013-02-10 7:00am

willy01
Pro Member

Glad to hear your okay and recovering.... in the last few years  2 of my buddies have passed away ( heart attacks), both under 35 years of age. You never know these days, it can happen to any one.

i'm always online, but I come on the site a few times during the day....

#83 2013-02-10 8:44am

estados
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 23

Good to hear you recovering, try to stay away from junk foods. get well soon.

#84 2013-02-10 10:19am

nbl78s
Expert
Bikes: 5

Glad this had a happy ending big_smile get well soon

Needs: always looking for odyssey director s2 forks, Fly pantera V-bars, Knight Gum drops, Knight retro stems, knight retro gooses (yes, I love knight stuff!) GT 4bar pro bars with the GT logo stamped on the bottom of the down tubes (race model) thanks!

#85 2013-02-10 10:34am

eightyfivegt
Pro Member

Wow...thank GOD you are doing O.K.  I wish you a speedy recovery. Then, get back on those BMX bikes!

Wanted: one copy of the last issue of BMX plus magazine!
Escaped from Detroit...and lived to tell about it!
Black Widows Central Florida Faction Ambassador

#86 2013-02-10 3:01pm

bicycle_ryan
Centurion Member
Bikes: 6

wow, an eye opener for sure. Wish you a speedy full recovery.

*Professional wheel builder.... Services are available: Pairs bult for members: 6

A bicycle is a currious vehicle, its passenger is its engine. ~John Howard

#87 2013-02-11 9:37pm

RockyMtnRobert
Expert
Bikes: 5

Dave definitely does not look his age. I was shocked when he told me that he was in his 50s because I know 40 year olds who are not in as good shape as him.

I saw that floval up at Lee's when I dropped off my OM a week or so ago. He did a good job on it.

Get well soon. Hope to see you at a cruise in the very near future.

#88 2013-02-11 10:26pm

masterstint
Intermediate
Bikes: 8

Thanks for posting Dave, I needed to read this. Had high blood pressure reading for the 1st time in my life today. 169/118(?) I dont exactly know what it means but no one said it was "fantastic" thats for sure. Been feeling some pounding in my temples/ears lately...I dont smoke, never did, but I eat like a starving hog. Im 243lb @ 5ft 9in....guess where the weight is?......anyway, its all gonna change, building my cruiser now. My baby girl makes 2yrs soon, all the motivation a dad should need.........thanks again and get well soon!wink

Claude

"I say, I say, that boy dont quit talkin so much he might get his tongue sunburnt"-Foghorn Leghorn

#89 2013-02-11 10:33pm

PinKMisT72
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 4

wow just wow , thankyou for sharing and im glad you are ok smile

#90 2013-02-12 8:12am

robinson79
Museum Addict
Bikes: 10

Let this be the catalyst for change in habits and intake if applicable. Sorry you went through that.

Want To Buy Odyssey Veteran Seat
(Tear Away w/ Orange Keys)

#91 2013-02-12 11:09am

spyndrome
Pro Member

Get well soon. You appear to be in great shape in your pix. Any risk factors identified?

#92 2013-02-12 11:53am

markanthony
Pro Member

Very glad you weren't alone.
My family has history of heart issues on both sides .
I also had issues not that long ago(I'm only 39)

Your absolutely right we are not invincible and sometimes because we feel healthier or stronger than the dude standing next to us it's easy to forget to make a few choices that will help us to become old farts.

I'm sure that your doc gave some advice to help possibly limit any future issues.
I've (with wife's help really cut down on sodium,I don't eat bad but it all helps.)
And hopefully stress reduction can help,I had alot of stresses that built up and took their toll on me.

Plus if you are on any meds(not saying you are,I was for back injury)
Eliminating the pills can work wonders with "feeling clean and clear.

All the best.
+plus when I do pray it's allways for long life,so I can watch my kids grow.
My BIGGEST fear is leaving them early.

If I ever need a "walker "it's gonna be made from bmx frames and parts.

Take care and be positive.

Would like lots of bikes but the SE Hauler is one that has a lot of sentimental value to me. Anyone got one?

#93 2013-02-14 3:44pm

BMX*Racer*1983
Pro Member
Bikes: 32

Just lost a friend 3 days ago 29 years old dead massive heart attack. sad

RIP Nate

NATHAN Z. GUEST   |   Visit Guest Book

GUEST, NATHAN Z. 29 - of Ocean View, passed away suddenly on Monday, February 11, 2013 at Cape Regional Medical Center in Cape May Court House. Born in Cape May Court House, he was a lifetime Ocean View resident. Nathan worked as a Bouncer for the Princeton and Whitebriar Inn in Avalon. He was a former member of the Ocean View Volunteer Fire Company and had served as an Assistant Little League Coach for Dennis Township. Nathan was an avid hunter and fisherman and a member of the North American Hunting Club. Surviving are his wife, Nicole A. Guest (nee Feketics) of Ocean View, two children, Nicholas Tantaros of Ft. Myers, FL, Lilly Mae Guest of Ocean View, his parents, Theresa A. (nee Oakley) and Edward R. Guest, Jr. of Ocean View, two brothers, Buddy Guest (Noelle) of Palermo, Matthew Guest (Colleen) of Del Haven, his maternal grandmother, Ellie Oakley of Ocean View, a niece, Addison Guest and a nephew, Ethan Guest. He was predeceased by his maternal grandfather, Edward Oakley. His Funeral Service will be offered Friday afternoon at one o'clock from Second Cape May Baptist Church Fellowship Hall, 600 South Shore Road, Palermo, NJ where friends may call from half past 11 o'clock until 12:45pm. Burial will be private in Ocean View Cemetery, Ocean View, NJ. The family suggests those who desire send memorial contributions to Nate's Angels, c/o Franklin Bank, PO Box 505, Ocean View, NJ 08230. To leave a condolence for the family, please visit wwwgodfreyfuneralhome.com
Published in The Press of Atlantic City from February 13 to February 14, 2013
Remember Obituary
Remember
on Facebook
Share with Others

Last edited by BMX*Racer*1983 (2013-02-14 3:51pm)

[img]http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp314/buddysam1/new/sig2-1.jpg[/img]

-----If I Owe You Feedback Please LMK----- 

---R.I.P DAD I LOVE YOU 11/26/40 - 12/12/13--- It is what it is CUZ!!!

#94 2013-02-14 7:42pm

suzu400
Pro Member
Bikes: 32

Oh Mike, so sorry to here this. He had a wife and kids also, so sad. My condolences. Take care buddy!

Always looking for Cook Bros. parts or 26" f/f.
Will not sell to bennyt4130!!

#95 2013-02-17 2:52pm

racethis
Centurion Member

Dave hope to meet you down the road on your 26 dg so take care of yourself and I'm glad your blessed with a great family and great friends!!!

#96 2013-02-18 9:31am

RidingAgain
Intermediate

Get better soon!
I got my reality slap last year when my then 3 year old daughter asked me if I was going to be dead when her and her sister were all grown up. I was blown away that at 3 she was asking me this. I told her "hell no I won't be dead, why are you asking me that?" She said " Dad you smoke cigarettes and you're gonna die." I think my in-laws have been talking to her because I don't know where else she would have gotten it. I told her I was too mean and rotten to die and that I would be around for a long time. Earlier this year I quit smoking with patches. Feel really good too. Still have cravings but I know they'll subside. I had to quit, I'd tried numerous times for myself but it was my little girl that got me to seriously quit.
Hang in there Dave!

#97 2013-02-18 10:28am

ProThunder4
Museum Addict

Thanks to this thread, I gave up fried and sugary foods for Lent (and for a guy whose caloric intake is disproportionately tilted toward donuts and Popeyes, that's not easy).  I'm thankful I never became addicted to nicotine, as sugar cravings are hard enough to resist for me.  Maybe by Easter I'll have kicked the worst of my dietary bad habits.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; / For he to-day that sheds his blood with me / Shall be my brother ... / gentlemen ... now-a-bed / Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here / And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks / That fought with us

#98 2013-02-18 11:10am

alainmagana
Pro MemberIn Wonderland
Bikes: 3

Wow, hope all is going well bro. Thanks for sharing the story. I know i have to cut back on somethings.

Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

#99 2016-03-19 2:17am

eric12
Think For a Change

This stuff is scary. You still doing good?

Being an adult is the dumbest thing I've ever done.

#100 2016-03-19 5:38am

bRADdlphns
Pro MemberDetroit's ONLY 44T rider !!!!
Bikes: 30
For Sale: 7
Website

damn sorry to hear this, glad you are ok. 

get better smile

MCS Magic is back !!!!

Board footer

View Cart →