You are not logged in.

Question For 40+ "Dudes"  RSS Feed

#1 2013-02-02 12:22pm

Chasmar
Pro MemberSkyway Nut
Bikes: 2

Question For 40+ "Dudes"

I am 43 years old, so I come from the era of what we call "old school" bmx. Like all you other (say.. older gentlemen) I remember all the classics from back in the day very well, and like a lot of you had to settle with a Huffy because ...well back then you had to get a job the get something better. (Remember, we built ramps with a sheet of scrap wood and old bricks..... No Costco pre fab back then.)

Anyway, my question is how you guys pull off riding these bikes in an age bracket where you can afford a whole fleet of the grails you always wanted? Do you actually let the neighbors see you? Do you ride at night? It seems parks might be ok if you fake like you're actually doinf it for,the enjoyment of your kid..or something.

Just wondering. :P

-Chas

WANTED: NOS 20" White Skyway retro TA frame. Will pay $50 for private (non-internet listed) referral and successful procurement. Hurry! That's a new set of free Hutch grips, delivered!

BMX ..keep it RAD!!!!

#2 2013-02-02 12:31pm

RoadRunner
Museum Addict
Bikes: 3

Re: Question For 40+ "Dudes"

Why should you be ashamed to do something you love?

#3 2013-02-02 12:32pm

rbonner70
Pro Member
Bikes: 12

I ride because I like it . It a great way to stay young and in shape. Most guys are age couldn't ride around the block without needing oxygen. Don't hide what you like and enjoy it.

#4 2013-02-02 12:48pm

dts123
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

I'm with ya man. Neighbors look at me funy and friends laugh that I have bikes. But then I pull a few footjam tail whips and a flail and their kids look at them and say "dad can you do that?" Or "that's awesome" and suddenly their parents feel like crap cause all they can do is watch and eat pizza.  Almost 42 and I ride just to be on a bike instead of standing and wishing I could.

Was Looking for an RL20ii...Was looking for a master or sport.  Now looking for a Trickstar.

#5 2013-02-02 12:57pm

ultrahots
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

The guys I work with give me more greif than the neighbors.

#6 2013-02-02 1:01pm

farmboy
Pro Memberzen aspirationalist
Bikes: 15

I'm 44, and I ride all my bikes whenever and wherever i can. It's free, it's exercise, and people recognize and love to see the bikes.

Self Appointed Assistant Associate Treasurer of the 44t Fan Booster Club, Western Division.

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. On and on, 'til the break of dawn.

#7 2013-02-02 1:02pm

Nevets
Pro Member

I'm 47 and ride whenever I can. Mainly its a mountan bike, but I've been riding more BMX the last year or so. My oldest son, who is 10 years old, rides an 87 Schwinn Sting with me. We ride on the road (no freestyle for me - not that gifted) or at an old makeshift BMX track down the road.

If you like riding , then ride!

#8 2013-02-02 1:05pm

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Bikes: 19
Website

It's just riding a bike... what's embarrassing about that?
Do you hide your face when you walk into McDonalds? cause that's more embarrassing to me. lol

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#9 2013-02-02 1:18pm

RACEIT
Expert

I feel sorry for the people our age who sit around and do nothing to get thier heart rate up...

RIP Autumn Pasquale

#10 2013-02-02 1:46pm

goosta
Centurion Member
Bikes: 1

I roll out my whole line up with my kids regularly.  We're the old school BMX family.  That's it.  I wish I could rockwalk, however.

dts123 wrote:

I'm with ya man. Neighbors look at me funy and friends laugh that I have bikes. But then I pull a few footjam tail whips and a flail and their kids look at them and say "dad can you do that?" Or "that's awesome" and suddenly their parents feel like crap cause all they can do is watch and eat pizza.  Almost 42 and I ride just to be on a bike instead of standing and wishing I could.

Its not the years...its the mileage

#11 2013-02-02 1:51pm

joey1320
Museum Addict

goosta wrote:

I roll out my whole line up with my kids regularly.  We're the old school BMX family.  That's it.  I wish I could rockwalk, however.

Here ya go!
http://www.bmxtrix.com/how_to/flatland/rock_walk.htm

I'm 32 and I hope to be riding well past my 50's. Why not? You stay in shape, young at heart and doing something you love. If you are 43 and worried about what others think, I believe you have other issues to deal with cool

Last edited by joey1320 (2013-02-02 1:53pm)

Keep Calm and Ride On!

#12 2013-02-02 2:06pm

seventy nine red line
Intermediate

i love it ride localy with my two girls 10 and 7  and ill be 47, love it all parks, skate parks,hangin with lbs guys etc. everybody says something but who cares my kids love it i love it and im getting a smidge better in skate park, that takes alot of time, welll everyone says somethin grow get a bigger bike or play with kids your own age, like theguy said above too bad for them enjoy 79

#13 2013-02-02 2:12pm

aaronl
Museum Addict

I ride are my house a fair bit, I live on the coast and ride at the beach watching the surf and other sights.  Usually take my kids but have found myself down there a lot by myself.  Didn't really consider what or if anyone even noticed me.

All you have to do is go to a decent sized race meeting and just see how stacked the older classes are and you'll never worry about it again.  A couple of neighbours have said things to my wife over the years, one couples kids questioned me a few times, obviously repeating what their folks have said, but then they are both plastic surgey addicts and the guy, in his early 50's now, walks nearly year round with out a shirt on and has zero hair on himself.  The wife hides half the year as she is recovering from some adjustment.  hahaha, I can judge too.

the only other one, well I'm not sure if it was a negative/positive comments, but she questioned me at 40 doing tricks and doing sprints etc.  She is a gym/muscle building junkie and rows a lot on the water and well her bod does not look natural in any way.  She bought her kids and her husband all race bikes and asked me to coach her kids (I am a registered bmx coach)

I think just ride your bikes and do what you enjoy.  Try to get the wife. kids or an old mate going too, might lead to life time of staying fit and healthy.  smile

#14 2013-02-02 2:15pm

BMX-Wing
Aaron O.
Bikes: 23

Johnnny wrote:

It's just riding a bike... what's embarrassing about that?
Do you hide your face when you walk into McDonalds? cause that's more embarrassing to me. lol

or walmart...
Be proud you old guys can still ride, I would be...

#15 2013-02-02 2:19pm

lanceBurkhart
Bikes: 1

aaronl wrote:

I ride are my house a fair bit, I live on the coast and ride at the beach watching the surf and other sights.

Living on the coast definitely makes this easier as the lifestyle is usually geared more towards activities and such. no one says anything where i live as pretty much every adult where i live surfs and most skateboard. so many half pipes in back yards and they are not for the kids.

#16 2013-02-02 2:20pm

Brad4130
Centurion Member
Bikes: 7

I'm not in the 40+ age range just yet ( 37 ) but I still get out and ride everyday .
The other night I took my rigid 26" DJ home 15+ miles on met up with a kid on the bike path that was quite surprised I was able to keep up with him through the side trails and jumps just as fast as he was going .

I do get a few looks when I take my Pro Miniscoot up to the post office sometimes.

Looking for : WAL / Wilkerson stuff forks and OG sticker set's PM me with what you have.
                   NOS or good condition Super Pro rims
                   BASIC BYKES Small town hick frame $$$$ get at me with what you have !!
                   Homeless bikes forks - trade for early pitch fork ?

#17 2013-02-02 2:23pm

rickman199
Pro Member

i have had a 24in dirt jump bike for about 5 years now but dont use that anymore, im 40 and just got mi first rider bmx since the 80s about 3 months ago and only ride that now wish i had never stopped, i ride in mi street and even do wheelies up and down the street like a kid and think people will be looking out there windows thinking whats old guy doing but it doesn't bother me i will ride till i can't do it anymore, i have even started going to the indoor skate park and theres a foam pit so all good fun. keep on riding!!!!!!!

[img][/img]http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s592/rickman199/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA_zps859f34fc.png

this is me upside down back on the 20in just need to put this to a landing ramp now

Last edited by rickman199 (2013-02-02 2:48pm)

#18 2013-02-02 2:32pm

tacoman
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

Not 40 yet....but folk think what I do is cool.  The bros my age dig it

Ride out.  Do whatcha like...

Hobbies make us interesting.  Who wants to hang around boring folk???

Last edited by tacoman (2013-02-02 2:34pm)

#19 2013-02-02 2:41pm

Chitowndad

+1, minus the not 40 yet part...

tacoman wrote:

Not 40 yet....but folk think what I do is cool.  The bros my age dig it

Ride out.  Do whatcha like...

Hobbies make us interesting.  Who wants to hang around boring folk???

Ride what you like, like what you ride.

#20 2013-02-02 2:44pm

bmxplus54

Thats why i got a 24 to avoid the embarrassment. haha

Actually it had been a long time since i last had a bike and didnt think i would fit into a 20, but have seen that there are all kinds of bikes nowadays with longer tt. Ive been looking into getting one for myself now.

#21 2013-02-02 2:49pm

aaronl
Museum Addict

lanceBurkhart wrote:

aaronl wrote:

I ride are my house a fair bit, I live on the coast and ride at the beach watching the surf and other sights.

Living on the coast definitely makes this easier as the lifestyle is usually geared more towards activities and such. no one says anything where i live as pretty much every adult where i live surfs and most skateboard. so many half pipes in back yards and they are not for the kids.

Yeah mate without a doubt.  Around here average home price is approx $2m and there are some quirky folks as it is.  I also understand there are localities where you would stick out like a sore thumb aand there would be a good chance of having your head smashed in and bike taken.

#22 2013-02-02 2:54pm

NorCal66
Pro MemberDa-Judge
Bikes: 15

I ride twice a week on the track during race nights and practice on Tuesdays with my son. I don't have time to ride around town but I wouldn't care what others thought. I turn 43 in 8 days and I am loving riding again.

Building 2013 Hutch Pro #5

[img]http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/pittboy3144/logo6.jpg[/img]

#23 2013-02-02 3:10pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

Chasmar wrote:

I am 43 years old, so I come from the era of what we call "old school" bmx. Like all you other (say.. older gentlemen) I remember all the classics from back in the day very well, and like a lot of you had to settle with a Huffy because ...well back then you had to get a job the get something better. (Remember, we built ramps with a sheet of scrap wood and old bricks..... No Costco pre fab back then.)

Anyway, my question is how you guys pull off riding these bikes in an age bracket where you can afford a whole fleet of the grails you always wanted? Do you actually let the neighbors see you? Do you ride at night? It seems parks might be ok if you fake like you're actually doinf it for,the enjoyment of your kid..or something.

Just wondering. tongue

-Chas

How do I put this politely-don't really give a flyin F$$K what people think...but that's me.  I ride right around the corner in a High School parking lot with my boys alot.  I get some odd looks from younger kids but some are actually lookin at my scoot and then ask questions.

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#24 2013-02-02 3:27pm

80sbikedude
ModeratorBugs Bunny Bmx'er
Bikes: 65
Website

RoadRunner wrote:

Why should you be ashamed to do something you love?

+1........can't do the tricks anymore on account of spinal cord surgery, but can ride all I want! cool

ASAP.org ........check it out, I live with it daily
WTB: Murray X20c/Free Spirit F/F or Huffy Pro Lightning F/F
If at first you don't succeed, Do it like your Mom told you!
"Do or do not, there is no try"~~~Yoda
Next time you are feeling perfect, try walking on water!

Hook 'Em Horns

#25 2013-02-02 3:37pm

RoadRunner
Museum Addict

I mostly mountain bike and road bike, and I don't ever get any flack.  But I do ride my BMX bikes around the streets with my nephew and his friends, and I get more compliments about my bikes from his friends than i do criticism.  I think some of the parents might have given me some strange looks at first, but they all now how athletic I am and I am always outside doing sports related activities.  I could really care less what anybody thinks about me riding BMX bikes.

Board footer

View Cart →