A question about the future of collecting  RSS Feed

#51 2013-02-03 9:36am

ccognetta
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

Re: A question about the future of collecting

Anyone wanting out ill buy your MCS Stuff! big_smile

MCS Maniac
1980 MCS Spider under restoration, 1981 MCS Magnum, 1981 MCS Magnum 240 - pending restorations
WANTED - MCS Frame Magnum 1979, MCS Parts & Stickers

#52 2013-02-03 10:11am

splitbus
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

It will all be collectable at some point, just varying degrees. Same goes with the values. But ultimately, something is only worth what someone will pay for it, not what one is asking.

I have to dis agree a bit about future generations. I am 35, and I also collect VW's. Air cooled specifically. I have zero interest in anything watercooled, have owned a few. I have very little interest in anything past 67, or anything that is not a bug or bus. I also am fond of some motorcycles. Mostly BMW's, very little of others. Definitely nothing modern, or american. Harleys are the worst. I don't have any nostalgia with either, Nor was I even overly exposed to either. Matter of fact our main LBS was a schwinn. Hated there bikes then and I still don't care for them.

My bike interest lies primarily 84-88. But I don't even care for most 88's, either its the decals, paint schemes, or both. To me, S&M will never replace a hutch. The only way I will even entertain the notion of owning an S&M will be when I find one for less then $50. Then I will probably whore it out for the most money possible.

I recently met a kid in his late twenties who only collects balloon tire bikes, has no interest in anything newer.

I guess my point is, there is no specific element that dictates our interests. We are all here for a multitude of reasons. It will continue on this way. As will the level of collect-ability vs. desirability vs. value.

By the way, this is my opinion and not to be construed as fact.  wink

Odyssey rx2 left lavender lever

#53 2013-02-03 10:42am

KU Dude

Wow!  Lot of great points here.  I believe that those of us who lived through that era would tend to be most enthusiastic about those times and bikes and tend to collect more of it overall. I think the 80's was a huge foundation to grow and propel the sport as a whole. In a way, I think you might see more of us 80's riders appreciate future era bikes than say a 90's or 00's riders going back and reliving the sport from it's inception. There might be surges as we teach our kids about our past. Read our old mags with them, let them ride our old bikes, pop in an old VHS TAPE and check out an old race. I know I'll do my best to teach mine and, hopefully, one day they might be an enthusiast as well.  I know im diggin' on some future era stuff so it will be neat to watch and see. Fun topic. Thanks

#54 2013-02-03 11:26am

ChristianHetheMurray
Pro MemberThundercougarfalconbird
Bikes: 44
For Sale: 39

this thing is based mainly in nostalgia and you can't really be nostalgic about an era you were too young to have been a part of.

I started restoring my bikes from the mid 80's based on the nostalgia of what I had in my teens. It just continued from there. Never did it for any money. In fact haven't sold a bike in my collection yet. But I can assure you that if I did I would get more back than what I put into them. I am sure in 20 years when these kids are in their late 30's or 40's they will be restoring their Sunday's, S&M's, etc, as well. smile
But no matter what new and mid school has to respect old school. It's the roots of the sport. I never owned a bike from the 70's, and don't plan on it. But I still respect them. That's what's great about the Museum. It encompasses all eras of BMX / Freestyle.

Last edited by ChristianHetheMurray (2013-02-03 11:27am)

My flatland is ... always smooth!!!!

[img]http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/khe-bikes-11159567381c2_lg.jpg[/img]

#55 2013-02-03 1:00pm

pelt
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Gay is the new straight...

lol

Wanted:
RNC brake lever, bolts and bar ends
Cinelli CMX frame

#56 2013-02-03 1:06pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 6

Ray wrote:

I think bikes will get collected for ever. the prices will go up and down.

x2 .. spot on !!!!!!

people still collect pre-war bikes and that was almost 100 years ago.
not many can say they remember the days when they were ridden.

Last edited by Draw (2013-02-03 1:07pm)

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#57 2013-02-04 1:39am

geoluv

I'm 29, totally disagree with the sentiment that the dudes that were too young to have ridden in the 80's don't want 80's bikes.  As the 40 to 50 crowd that rode in the 80s drop the hobby of buying and restoring the prices might come down from the stratospher but those bikes will always command big money.  Thing is vintage bicycle collecting in general (not just Bmx) ebbs and flows,  right now we are coming down slowly from a high about 1 to 2 years ago.  Seems to me like there will always be goofy eccentric people who get fixated on some old peice of Americana, I can see a 25 yo with expendable income in NYC or Cali or Melbourne or wherever 30 yeas from now appreciating 80's BMX bikes for the radical look and representation of an era.  Will old timey coke machines ever go out of style?  Will a 60's mustang ever go out of style?  Will a classic Rolex ever go out of style?  Freestyle bikes from the 85 to 88 era define the term "radical" and are one of those items that define the 80's decade.  Even if you don't ride Bmx you can't deny they are incredibly unique and interesting items.  So I'm pretty sure you're never going to be able to get 80's bikes for cheap ever again, especially not a pink master or a metallic blue trick star, the really flashy stuff that borders on looking like modern art. 

70's bikes I could see dipping in value since they just don't look as cool and are also small so they are hard to ride.  The 90's def aren't the new 80's with the exception of s&m, Hoffman a little, standard, early 90's haros, standard bykes, american made DK's, things like that.  Mid school will never really take off I don't think, the fat frame tubes and triple wall rims just look too chunky and unlovable.  I had a 97 shredder and I have absolutely no desire to rebuild one, I laugh when I see people on eBay asking for 60 bucks for NOS decals for it.  The whole bike is barely worth that much, thing weighed like 45 pounds. 

One thing that I wonder about it the number of kids that seriously ride Bmx these days, some people claim that kids would rather spend 500 on an iPad or laptop or save it for a car.  I heard that there are litteraly 1/3 less people skateboarding today than the peak in 2003.  Supposedly the number of people riding Bmx is bigger than ever though.   
Oh yeh and vintage Bmx collecting is white hot in Australia and Japan right now.  Picking up in other parts of Asia too from the booming economy.

#58 2013-02-04 5:54am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 3

I'm wondering how anyone will be able to tell some of these current bikes apart 20yrs from now when they turn up re-painted, no decals, etc?

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#59 2013-02-04 6:02am

blueep3piece
Pro Memberno forks given
Bikes: 5

vintage chromoly wrote:

Collect what you like because it makes you happy.

Anyone that thinks bmx stuff is a good investment is nuts.

If you are into this hobby for the genuine fondness of old bicycles, it will not matter when the market tanks. In fact, I welcome the time when the folly wears off and we can trade this stuff at a more reasonable price point.

current school > your school

#60 2013-02-04 6:07am

mowgli5555
Pro Member

Spring and summer will always come around. Therefore folks will be riding... I was born in 1985 and usually enjoy building/collecting things that pre date my birth.

Most of my builds are 84-85 models and my guitars are definitely older than I am. Still have a soft spot for the mid-late 1990's bike when I grew up and sort of tall. Josh

{{\WTB/ 1998 Schwinn Torqueflite in White. 1997-1999 Schwinn El Jefe f/f Raw/}}

#61 2013-02-04 3:57pm

Harodave4130
Pro Member

I'm seeing a wide range of responses from everyone. That's great! I think I started out justifying the high prices I paid by telling myself that I could flip my bikes if I ever wanted to. Truth is I will never sell any of them, so value means nothing now.
I don't make mistakes twice, unless you count my monthly over-indulgence of alcohol.

Needs secondary source of income

#62 2013-03-14 4:50pm

fridge
Underwear on head at Helltrack!

Get out! get out now! yikes. Sell everything for pennies on the dollar and be sure to post it here!   cool  You like the bikes you knew as a kid right?   Well same thing is gonna happen with people younger than you.  But your bikes will still hold value... To you.    Hehehehehehehe.   Cold cup of truth.   Hits play on the clash album

~Ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.
~You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike...and that's pretty close.
~“bones heal, pain is temporary, & chicks dig scars...”

#63 2013-03-14 5:09pm

La Dolce
Expert

I enjoy seeing the bubble has burst.  Bikes are the new fools gold. 
Seeing over priced bikes with no bidders ever on it, warms my heart.
Buyers are no longer falling into it.smile

#64 2013-03-14 5:33pm

TONE
Museum Addict

Is this the thread that I can mention I will pay stupid money for NOS Shimano DX and Bandito pads, and a genuine Torker Wizard plate?

If not, I apologize.smile

I'm done!  I need NOTHING!!!!!   smile

#65 2013-03-14 5:55pm

fridge

TONE - yes sir this is the thread.....

#66 2013-03-14 6:11pm

badmofo
Museum Addict
Bikes: 16
Website

TONE wrote:

I'm hoping the market from 1979-1986 tanks.  I need to buy a bunch more.smile

lol  I'm with you

Grammar is important. Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Ezekiel 25:17 ~ "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men....."

#67 2013-03-14 6:14pm

badmofo
Museum Addict
Bikes: 16
Website

La Dolce wrote:

I enjoy seeing the bubble has burst.  Bikes are the new fools gold. 
Seeing over priced bikes with no bidders ever on it, warms my heart.
Buyers are no longer falling into it.smile

So the sellers part them out and make twice what they were asking for it complete.  It's been happening for ever.  People have always preferred to buy "parts" and build their own rather then buy a complete.  It makes it more fun and more affodable.  The market is a little soft right now, for somethings, but it will be back and then some.  Why that would warm your heart I cannot compute.  I guess haters are gonna hate.  If you can't have it you don't want anybody else to either.  roll

By the way, Nice Raleigh you have there tongue

Last edited by badmofo (2013-03-14 6:16pm)

Grammar is important. Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Ezekiel 25:17 ~ "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men....."

#68 2013-03-14 7:21pm

snitzer
Pro MemberKing Kuwahara
Bikes: 5

In the year threeeeee-thousand!

#69 2013-03-14 7:38pm

ToBigToRide265
Pro Member
Bikes: 26

My theory is in the near future collecting Cars is going to totally tank every day there trying to deal with the oil issue and are trying to replace everything with green energy no emissions , since 2008  the collector car market has tanked , collecting gas powered  cars in the future makes no sense if you cant drive them why own them just going to sit in you garages to look at , Collecting bicycles has always been a great hobby easy to store easy to fix and the restoration satisfaction comes alot quicker then restoring a car so what iam saying is when no one wants the cars anymore there going to want to collect another means of transportation and why not the bikes of your youth , I restore cars I own a few muscle cars I can see the end

Last edited by ToBigToRide265 (2013-03-14 7:39pm)

#70 2013-03-14 7:45pm

Harodave4130
Pro Member

There will ALWAYS be a market for these bikes and cars for that matter. The only difference today for me is to own these bikes again. When I was 18 I wanted to ride them. I can live the rest of my life with my memories of riding, breaking and buying parts. Today if I got on my 91 Sport and did a feeble grind I would probably bend or snap a peg and after the challenge of finding said pegs, I would be hard pressed to find another one.
I've got newer bikes to ride. I just need something tangible now to remember by and thank God for this site and its members. I only wish I would have joined years ago.

Needs secondary source of income

#71 2013-03-14 8:03pm

notslo
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

justlive wrote:

I'm wondering how anyone will be able to tell some of these current bikes apart 20yrs from now when they turn up re-painted, no decals, etc?

Amen! Bikes today all look the same.

Chasing (Loop) tail since 1984

#72 2013-03-14 10:18pm

fridge

I've been on here for like two weeks and I can tell you that there are enough nuts on here to guaranty that you will be able to sell your sh:-/ until long after you are dead.  If there is a zombie apocalypse you will even be cool because zombies are very fond of bikes.  And brains - so wear your helmet of you go riding in a zombie apocalypse - fresh chrome on your $3000 pinto edition profile/hutch/gt fusion bike won't do you any good if a zombie is snack boxing in your cranium.   

To summarize. 1.  Your bike stock hasn't plummeted yet and likely wont anytime soon.  2. Zombies dig bikes but will snack box in your cranium if you let them get to close.

#73 2013-03-14 11:31pm

La Dolce
Expert

badmofo wrote:

By the way, Nice Raleigh you have there tongue

Hell yea it is.  Split frame, 1 1/8 conversion, 990's, Radberry peregrine Masters, bars with low stand over height, modern leavers and cranks, not heavy at all.

It's ok, i know you dont get that the Raleigh is by design not by accident.  I searched for it.  I had an chrome 86 Master and it's rear standing platform gets in the way of bigger pegs and flatland peg tricks.

This frame is the same as a Master and doesn't have the pointless rear standing platforms.
That makes this bike a win and anyone that had one will tell you their awesome.  smile

#74 2013-03-15 3:41am

rosie25
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 97

fridge wrote:

I've been on here for like two weeks and I can tell you that there are enough nuts on here to guaranty that you will be able to sell your sh:-/ until long after you are dead.  If there is a zombie apocalypse you will even be cool because zombies are very fond of bikes.  And brains - so wear your helmet of you go riding in a zombie apocalypse - fresh chrome on your $3000 pinto edition profile/hutch/gt fusion bike won't do you any good if a zombie is snack boxing in your cranium.   

To summarize. 1.  Your bike stock hasn't plummeted yet and likely wont anytime soon.  2. Zombies dig bikes but will snack box in your cranium if you let them get to close.

That's some funny sh!t lol

Will NOT DEAL WITH
members-IvanFidelis, TerrenceBerg, similarion, ford1981, DIAMONDMAN2017, or Omdae EVER. BEWARE.

#75 2013-03-15 4:03am

adamdawson
Pro MemberHoffman Overlord

notslo wrote:

justlive wrote:

Amen! Bikes today all look the same.

what you mean just like a master looks like a torker that looks like a ..........

Board footer

View Cart →