You are not logged in.

A question about the future of collecting  RSS Feed

#26 2013-02-01 1:13pm

joey1320
Pro Member
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 1

Re: A question about the future of collecting

The older we get the more we want to relive our youth...   Usually whatever you were into back in your youth (7-14 or so), will bring you back that joy once you get older and have some expendable income.

I like late 80's freestyle bikes. 1986-1989 are the best freestyle looking bikes imho and I plan on adding a few more to my humble collection. Hopefully the prices on those stay as is or come down a bit lol

Keep Calm and Ride On!

#27 2013-02-01 2:03pm

vintage chromoly
BMXer 4 Life

Collect what you like because it makes you happy.

Anyone that thinks bmx stuff is a good investment is nuts.

If you are into this hobby for the genuine fondness of old bicycles, it will not matter when the market tanks. In fact, I welcome the time when the folly wears off and we can trade this stuff at a more reasonable price point.

unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

#28 2013-02-01 2:33pm

84mach1
Expert
Bikes: 7

joey1320 wrote:

The older we get the more we want to relive our youth...   Usually whatever you were into back in your youth (7-14 or so), will bring you back that joy once you get older and have some expendable income.

I like late 80's freestyle bikes. 1986-1989 are the best freestyle looking bikes imho and I plan on adding a few more to my humble collection. Hopefully the prices on those stay as is or come down a bit lol

Yup. But for me it's (7 to 12). Living in the past makes me both happy and sad. Happy because you sense that nostalgia. Sad because you know you must move on by accepting the fact that you're getting older...and times change. People who can't accept the fact that they get older, get uglier, lose hair, aren't as attractive, aren't as physically agile, etc. are living in denial. These people perpetuate their misery/depression....I like reminiscing with people every once and while, but when they babble on for hours I start getting irritated. Just my "Dr. Phil" moment for the day big_smile

#29 2013-02-01 4:20pm

kilrgt
Pro MemberFreestyle, there is no substitute

It will die, there is no doubt about it, it will never been completely gone. Its not a investment this hobby of ours, I do it for the pure love of it. I was always conscience of the fact that the normal day to day stuff will suffer the worst, I mean who doesn't have a Haro master / GT Performer/ PF , Hutch   in their collection, but how many VDC's or JGS's are out there.My collection is much smaller these days ( 16 completes) and no plans for anymore. Enjoy your it as long as you can and move on.

#30 2013-02-01 4:40pm

aaronl
Museum Addict

I am sort of surpised that it is heading towards the 90's bikes as the early 80's was for sure the boom period. 
I just sort of figure much the same as only a few kept riding during the lean years, only the few will teally be after the bikes and folks will keep their 80's machines that are really into it.

The rest will pass on it.  Whqtever the folks in their  late 20's and early 30's will collect in another decade or so, who knows? 

I have a 80's race bike used for retro racing
2 brand new race bikes, 20 & 24 inch
2 90's bikes, one cruiser - for beach cruising and my 20 inch which is favorite bike I ever owned.
Also got a roadie, xc mtb and a big dollar track bike. 

So not really much of a collection, but for someone not infactuated with 80's boon period bmx, it would look crazy and a big collection of bikes. 

I know that quality 80's race parts cost the same if not more than quality current race parts, wouldn't mind seeing that reversed.  Might get more folks retro racing and having fun on the bikes again.

#31 2013-02-01 4:41pm

mxfan69
Pro MemberCalm, Cool, and Collected
Bikes: 11

G. wrote:

Most New School BMX'rs don't give a crap about 80-90's bikes

That is the truest statement I've read lately. My younger brother and his friends that are in their late 20's could give a shat less about my 70's and 80's bikes. They grew up with the mid to late '90's bikes and still ride street and parks today on modern bikes. Last year I was pushing my brother for an answer on what happend to my '79 MCS Magnum from BITD after I moved out. He was like "dude we NEVER even messed with that little peice of shat kids bike, we do shat that your bikes could never stand up to".

While I don't agree 100% with his last part of the statement, I do believe that most of his generation will not ever appreciate the same era that I appreciate. True be it, just like old cars and motorcycles, a hand full will, just not the same amount/quantity as us 40 and 50 year olds do now.

mmmm........loop tails.......

...and that's all I have to say about that...

#32 2013-02-01 4:43pm

aaronl
Museum Addict

Sorry about the terrible spelling and mistakes done with my phone.  Time to renew the pro status.

#33 2013-02-01 4:47pm

Ty666
Banned

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

Roy Munson wrote:

S&m is the new hutch.  That's all you need to know

#34 2013-02-01 4:47pm

mxfan69
Pro MemberCalm, Cool, and Collected
Bikes: 11

84mach1 wrote:

People who can't accept the fact that they get older, get uglier, lose hair, aren't as attractive, aren't as physically agile, etc. are living in denial. These people perpetuate their misery/depression

Going thru this very thing with the wife right now. Not the losing hair and ugly part thank God, but the "way to concerned with how it used to be fun and isn't now" and not what can still be fun today. Hopefully she comes out of it but dang it's a bummer to see when people get in a rut.

mmmm........loop tails.......

...and that's all I have to say about that...

#35 2013-02-01 5:09pm

Ray
Pro MemberGrape Ape
Bikes: 20
Website

Roy Munson wrote:

I sold my Hutches and bought some S&M's  way cheaper and ride and handle better. 

here is a couple, I ride the chrome 92 Holmes  my daughters fight over the challenger LOL 

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/r-reekie/SMbikes001.jpg

but the other will end up with this one once I finish it . MEGA!!!! 1" quill stem the only way I like Mid School stuff.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/r-reekie/IMAG0714.jpg

when I feel like riding old school I take this one out

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/r-reekie/IMAG0759.jpg

I have a few old school bikes I built that I don't ride. no need to they look cool but ride like crap. and they bring me back to the old day's every time I look at them.  so I guess I'll keep them.

my son has his own collection

his show bike

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/r-reekie/gt2-1.jpg

his old school rider

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/r-reekie/masononhack.jpg

My son and I have new School rides

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/r-reekie/2hip-1.jpg

I think bikes will get collected for ever. the prices will go up and down.

!!!!!!!!!!!WANTED 20" LittleJohn forks in  chrome  !!!!!!

common sense is not that common any more

#36 2013-02-01 5:21pm

Roy Munson
Pro MemberWorst PR in BMX
Bikes: 6
Website

I know if I could. I will build tens of different bikes from my first years of serious riding 1998 and up.

I don't give a shit about my dynos I had or the department store bikes.

It's my We the people thrill seeker, my condor, my first barcode. My first fbm made frame. The bikes I wanted but my 26 hrs a week minimum wage job in highschool couldn't afford.

I wish I would have held onto everything over these years. Since I've decided to stop being a ramblin man, I'm gonna slowly catch up.

#37 2013-02-01 6:00pm

Ty666
Banned

Roy Munson wrote:

I know if I could. I will build tens of different bikes from my first years of serious riding 1998 and up.

I don't give a shit about my dynos I had or the department store bikes.

It's my We the people thrill seeker, my condor, my first barcode. My first fbm made frame. The bikes I wanted but my 26 hrs a week minimum wage job in highschool couldn't afford.

I wish I would have held onto everything over these years. Since I've decided to stop being a ramblin man, I'm gonna slowly catch up.

with ya there i remember buy a fbm angel of death then within the same month bought a fbm live wire sold off both for like 50 for the pair how i kick myself now

#38 2013-02-01 6:05pm

snitzer
Pro MemberKing Kuwahara
Bikes: 5

RoadRunner wrote:

Hell, I'm still wearing my parachute pants..... lol

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2012/0 … -pants.jpg

THAT reminds me I need to break out my Electric Boogaloo laserdisc big_smile

#39 2013-02-01 6:21pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 57
Website

88 miles per hour...

"Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. But set a man on fire, and you warm him for the rest of his life."

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/img_053859d1cd019a.png[/img]

#40 2013-02-01 6:41pm

SR71
Centurion Member

vintage chromoly wrote:

Collect what you like because it makes you happy.

Anyone that thinks bmx stuff is a good investment is nuts.

If you are into this hobby for the genuine fondness of old bicycles, it will not matter when the market tanks. In fact, I welcome the time when the folly wears off and we can trade this stuff at a more reasonable price point.

Exactly!

#41 2013-02-01 6:44pm

pjbjr413
Centurion Member
Bikes: 9

I think there will always be kids that appreciate items from previous generations and I think bmx will be no different.  There are guys in their 20's in the local Model A club, a car that Ford quit making 82 years ago. I'm 31 and have a bunch of muscle bikes and a few early bmx pieces in my garage and a 1950 Chevy pick up sitting in the backyard that I'm going to start building soon and it will be build with a lot of 50's era kustom and hot rod influence.

#42 2013-02-01 7:31pm

sir_n0thing
Centurion Member

There's a reason why my 100% stock OG 2001 Mosh Brass is not going to be leaving my basement for the next 15 years. big_smile  Thing is worthless now, but someday some kid will turn 40 and think back to the "glory days" and give me $2K for it!  lollollol

Roy Munson wrote:

Now THAT is funny stuff right there!

"I'm on a quest for atonement... gotta find peace of mind and a place to rest." - J Mann

WANTED: Brown/blue stem pad for 2010 retro PK Ripper ::: Red ACS rear hub - 36h high flange ::: Red ACS Seat post clamp :::

#43 2013-02-01 8:04pm

perront
Pro MemberCosmic Slop
Bikes: 20

I think that all eras will, for the most part, fade away eventually -- perhaps to a point where damn electronic products and virtual media have most people so mesmerized by their distraction that but a pitiful few recall the joy of building a bike with their own hands, let alone riding one.  I think the best way to preserve the legacy of BMX is to have a good story to tell about your stuff.  Communicate to your audience the passion that you have for your bike, and out of the many you share that story with, a few will understand and appreciate it.  Then, maybe -- just maybe -- the bug will bite them, too.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileProfileRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
“Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist” -- R.W. Emerson
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- -- King of Qin, Hero

#44 2013-02-01 8:36pm

84pk
Pro Member

I've got 10 years in now and it continues to be a love hate relationship.  I don't know if I will ever be able to kick the habit.  It's really frustrating some times neutral

WTB:
Blue or Brown SE pads

#45 2013-02-01 8:46pm

teamrandr
mongoosed

I don't think that it will continue the way it is now.  However I do think that the younger generation does appreciate old school.  Every time I show up to the park or even ride my goose on the boardwalk I get comments from the younger crowd.

Last edited by teamrandr (2013-02-01 8:47pm)

I wouldn't be here today if the old school didn't pave the way.

#46 2013-02-01 11:58pm

sourrox
Centurion Member
Bikes: 2

a couple years ago I took my 1983 Torker to the track on a practice night to goof around on.  I had a crowd of 10-14 yr olds mesmerized by it. they had never seen a twin top tube before.  they asked a zillion questions, tried to trade their bikes for it......etc.  they loved it and thought it was the coolest bike they had ever seen.  just sayin.

#47 2013-02-02 6:41am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 2

I've actually been thinking about this a lot over the past year. I think as far as the collecting aspect of it goes the hobby will never see the popularity it saw from the beginning of the 2000's until maybe around 2 or 3 yrs ago. A lot of us got back into this for nostalgia, reliving our youth. Now alot of us have built the bikes we always wanted or had as kids and are pretty much content. Not to mention how plentiful and affordable this stuff was several yrs ago. Now some of the prices are just crazy. I just saw a Master on ebay with a bin of $5k roll. Plus a lot of us are well into our 40's now and just have other priorities that are taking over. At some point you just say "It was a lot of fun and I'll check back from time to time but it's time to move on". At least that's my opinion. But I know for most of us no matter where we go from here it will always be a part of us.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#48 2013-02-02 10:32am

84mach1
Expert

mxfan69 wrote:

84mach1 wrote:

People who can't accept the fact that they get older, get uglier, lose hair, aren't as attractive, aren't as physically agile, etc. are living in denial. These people perpetuate their misery/depression

Going thru this very thing with the wife right now. Not the losing hair and ugly part thank God, but the "way to concerned with how it used to be fun and isn't now" and not what can still be fun today. Hopefully she comes out of it but dang it's a bummer to see when people get in a rut.

There are women who lose their hair too; it's not just men. Not saying that yours is.

Anyways, if you can't gracefully accept the changes life brings...it will lead to depression. You will create your own hell. My younger brother passed away from cancer 11 years ago, and I occasionally reminisce about him when we were younger. The good times and bad. But when I dwell too much on the bad times, I literally get choked up...I don't do this often though.

#49 2013-02-02 11:17am

BMX-Wing
Aaron O.
Bikes: 23

I dont really care about old bikes anymore but when some of you will
pay 1k for Grips or Tires. People will always collect older Bmx bikes for the money...
Many people collect old bikes in general not just Bmx, so the 80's bikes will always
have a market in the collecting world as they will be antique bikes soon.

#50 2013-02-02 10:06pm

bmxhuyst.louis

i am new to the bmx bikes i am 34 my first bike i got  done was a 95 then got a 83 then 79 im all the way back to the 40s i love the 80's bmx had flavor un like this new crap same frames same seats rims and so on and on 70-1990 is the best

Board footer

View Cart →