You are not logged in.

Bike ride across the USA

#26 2015-05-08 12:52pm

4130_stoner
Pro MemberPot(tery) Barn CEO
Bikes: 2

Re: Bike ride across the USA

rad story! cool

i thought we were cool doing our semi-annuel 40+ mile ride, and after that, im freakin dead! lol

riding 20''s, and smoking herb for as long as i can remember.....damn short term memory loss!

Cheap girls are like cheap bike parts. Both will send you to see the doctor.-77Rider

#27 2015-05-08 8:57pm

Racer
Philly Cheese Steak
Bikes: 22

Such a small world. I discovered BMX racing after my aunt from Hamilton Square, NJ picked up a Bicycle Motocross Action magazine at a 7-11. Then the next year they moved to outside Morristown, TN. One of my cousins, once there met, her boyfriend who was going to Vanderbilt. She married him and he is now a Doctor living in, you may have guessed it, Jacksonville Beach, FL.   

If you need any tips or just wanna talk shoot me a PM. Maybe I'll even ride the last day or two with you on my bmx bike.

Last edited by Racer (2015-05-08 8:57pm)

#28 2015-05-08 11:41pm

oldskoolkel
Pro Member

I don't read much, but that was cool. Great memories no doubt. cool

1983 Porsche 911 SC, 1978 Ford Capri 3.0 Xpack
2011 26" OM Flyer, 2010 metal wrap retro loop tail PK, 2000 aluminium Mongoose SGX 24"

Oh yeah, and I'm a thread killer......

#29 2015-05-10 8:04am

Jeno007
Defender of The Universe
Bikes: 13

Racer wrote:

Such a small world. I discovered BMX racing after my aunt from Hamilton Square, NJ picked up a Bicycle Motocross Action magazine at a 7-11. Then the next year they moved to outside Morristown, TN. One of my cousins, once there met, her boyfriend who was going to Vanderbilt. She married him and he is now a Doctor living in, you may have guessed it, Jacksonville Beach, FL.   

If you need any tips or just wanna talk shoot me a PM. Maybe I'll even ride the last day or two with you on my bmx bike.

Ha, small world indeed! I definitely would be down with some company on the last couple. Been thinking about this for about a year, and slowly peicing together a plan that is the simplest without a support vehicle.

And Leroy, I'll take you up on that. smile Am hoping to get to meet a bunch of the Museum peeps along the way.

Anything is negotiable.

#30 2015-05-10 8:53pm

Cheech
Pro Member
Bikes: 39

Really cool story. How many parts did you go through on the ride? Probably a lot of tires & tubes

#31 2015-05-11 9:16pm

Racer
Philly Cheese Steak

My front compe 3 lasted the entire trip. I think I replaced the rear tire once and got a couple flats. I tried to carry a spare tube or patch. I got one flat in New Orleans. I stayed in Gretna. At a neighbor of the girl I was in love with. She moved to NY from Gretna.

Funny thing is when I got to the kids house a ton of BMXrs were there to greet me. One said 'hey, where you in Florida near Pensacola?' I'm like yeah. He goes 'I thought that was you. we passed you (rt. 89? 90?). After Gretna I headed up to Baton Rouge. I woulda beat DD Leone but was so nervous, everyone wanted to see If I could beat him lol.  I clipped the gate and came out bad. The bike shop may have been capital Schwinn? The track name BREC Raceway? I think it was right behind the shop. Ok so even if I hadnt blown my gate DD woulda pulled me somewhere. He had unreal power. Great person too boot.

The guy who ran it hooked me up with a place to stay, food etc. Great guy, his name escapes me. Thats the sad part of not getting my diary back.

Last edited by Racer (2015-05-11 9:21pm)

#32 2015-05-11 9:58pm

se666
Pro Member'Da Pineapple'
Bikes: 75

WHATS UP BROTHER LONG TIME NO TALK...COOL STUFF MAN

[img]http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/HPIM0764.jpg[/img]

#33 2015-05-12 4:24am

bmx4fun
Museum Addict

cool

#34 2020-09-15 7:06pm

txseabee36
Expert

Great story and thumb up cool

#35 2020-09-15 7:22pm

johnnyC
Museum Addict
Bikes: 1

good story resurrected

#36 2020-09-16 9:27pm

Racer
Philly Cheese Steak

Thanks guys. I tell you what, I may not remember everyone's name, but I remember most of what I did, especially the people and places. Tracks I liked the Most for instance where Summerville, SC; Beaumont, TX; Sugarland, TX; Chandler, AZ and Manzanita Park, Tuscon, AZ. I think did a clinic at Sugarland but dont remember if I raced it. I won Summerville, made the main at Baton Rouge but again hit the gate and came out last and finished there as I only caught the pack by first turn but track was pretty much follow the leader, I woulda had you DD! I beat Mike Poulson all three motos out of the gate at Manzanita but ran wrong gearing and he passed everymoto. But I still remember holding him off till 2nd straight in 3rd moto, I was feeling pumped till he passed me like I was a novice. I got passed by someone else around or in turn 2 and didnt make the main of this triple points race. Didnt keep the motosheets or ever see any article about the Triple Points race in the ABA newspaper. My first race on my DB was pretty cool. Did I get any pictures to show DB me beating Poulson, NOOOOOO. Made the main at Beaumont, but didnt beat the track favorite, something Lamb, think he won I was too far back in like 5th to see what the podium guys were doing.
16 & Over Expert got harder the further west you go. Those guys race year round, in Jersey except for a few races it was April-October.
Regardless lol, you make some killer memories. It was so worth it. Easier than you think if you take it like wrestling practice, one day at a time. I even met people over the years who met me on the ride like from small tracks like Eunice, LA. You know you where a hard core Cajun racer if you raced that track. Im told it closed when an alligator ate a racer who crashed in turn 3 or was it.....

#37 2020-09-17 7:42am

Newer England
Intermediate
Bikes: 2

Great story Racer. The story is fantastic and your writing is very easy to read. You should write a book on this.

If you want to search old articles, here are two helpful angles:

***French guy here is scanning and making old BMX magazines searchable. This is an awesome resource and a lot of fun to noodle through

https://www.bmxa.fr/

***Professional newspaper and magazine databases free at your local or university library.

If you are looking for old newspaper and magazine articles, your local public or university library will have access to databases you can search easily; typically articles are digitized but sometimes you can find the original scans and photos.

You can also search the old microfiche for original scans and photos. (microfiche are scanned documents put on supersmall clear old-school film and viewed with a big "magnifying screen" gizmo). In California, you might have a tough time finding microfiche from the local newspapers of other states. So the computer databases are easiest first stop for searching local newspapers using dates, locations, names, etc. Maybe interlibrary loan can help get microfiche delivered from anywhere in the state or country to your library for free.

Here are 65 databases; there is a ton of overlap so use whatever you can find (try a couple as there is not 100% overlap). Popular ones include Factiva, Lexis-Nexis, ProQuest, but maybe for local newspapers more obscure databases like "newspaper.com" would be more helpful. A

https://databases.hollis.harvard.edu/pr … rtby=lso03

#38 2020-09-17 8:03am

andycapp
Pro MemberOld Man Punk
Bikes: 15

Wow, what an epic ride. Thanks for the read. cool

"When the going gets tough, let the tough get going." - Frank Leahy

"If there's no time to do it right the first time, how will there be time to fix it when you f*** it up?" - William Leahy

"What I should have said, was nothing." - Mike Birbiglia

#39 2020-09-17 9:32am

Undercover
Pro MemberHot to Death
Bikes: 8

Sounds like fun. Wish I could see the pics

#40 2020-09-17 9:56am

buddhashenglong
Pro Member"torque monster"
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 1

Epic.

Check out the Eclipse Show on KGNU.org Sunday 7pm MST Old School New School True School hip hop
88.5 fm boulder 1390 am denver CO
Podcast available at afterfm.com/eclipse

#41 2020-09-17 6:59pm

walribco
Pro Member
Bikes: 3
Website

This is a really great story. I read it when first posted and I think of it often. I think its something alot of us have thought about doing but never pulled the trigger.

ricedoutyugo.com

#42 2020-09-17 7:07pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 83
For Sale: 1

Undercover wrote:

Sounds like fun. Wish I could see the pics

me to +1

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#43 2020-09-17 9:49pm

bnd
Pro Member
For Sale: 4
Website

I know a guy, ex-racer, who rode his 20” across the US from Cali to the East Coast then halfway back. He then turned that into being a pro bike “tourer” with a badass Touring bike and an even more badass custom trailer.
When he rode his 20”, he towed a baby trailer loaded with his stuff. It took him a long time to make it across the first time, as he camped, got thrown in jail in Texas for a few weeks and had to dodge bad weather.
I think in total he’s gone 2 1/2 times back and forth & up and down the USA.

I enjoyed your stories, different times for sure. Doesn’t surprise me about HL.
Thanks for sharing.

b.

I want rustlers, cut throats, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, train robbers, bank robbers, and Methodists.

Board footer