80's Hair Bands...  RSS Feed

#51 2012-12-05 4:06pm

SuperDave4130
Pro MemberResident Rationalist
Bikes: 4

Re: 80's Hair Bands...

wyopsycho wrote:

wasp was not mentioned ?

Anytime that I think of WASP I remember the infamous Chris Holmes interview from The Decline of Western Civilization Pt II:The Metal Years.He's in a floating lounge chair in a swimming pool drunk off his ass from Smirnoff vodka with his mom sitting poolside for the interview.

Last edited by SuperDave4130 (2013-05-10 10:08am)

Doing my part to infuriate the religious right.                                       Soccer isn't a sport,it's a reason to riot.

#52 2012-12-11 1:14am

Mgraves805

Steel panther

#53 2012-12-11 6:35am

SuperDave4130

I found out something interesting about the Sea Hags.Apparently Kirk Hammett like their sound and produced some of their demo tracks when they were trying to land a record contract.

Doing my part to infuriate the religious right.                                       Soccer isn't a sport,it's a reason to riot.

#54 2012-12-11 7:01am

cannadian freestyler
Pro Member
Bikes: 52
For Sale: 1

OK so "LITA FORD" we must not forget!!!how about ,scopion s, mettalica, ,twisted sister s,kiss, even VAN HALEN did a stint in the hair band scene.lollollol

#55 2012-12-11 5:44pm

SuperDave4130

cannadian freestyler wrote:

OK so "LITA FORD" we must not forget!!!how about ,scopion s, mettalica, ,twisted sister s,kiss, even VAN HALEN did a stint in the hair band scene.lollollol

Don't forget that Pantera started out as a hair metal band. lol As for Kiss,they "jumped the shark" with the release of Dynasty,which was their disco album. roll Once that album came out,I quit listening to KISS and started listening to Van Halen.

#56 2012-12-12 12:39pm

chirobmx
Pro Member

How about the Scorpions - Love at First Sting.

#57 2012-12-12 12:50pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 84
For Sale: 5
Website

This is an awsome read for any metal fan

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc442/kurt_rad/300_929593.jpg

bold

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65e1d4b4d05.jpg[/img]

#58 2012-12-13 2:52am

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo

Man...reading all of the band names, so many memories come back. Good & bad.
There were so many good bands, but so many bad ones. At the height of it, it was so saturated that it was bound to fall to pieces.

During that time, if you wrote a kickass ballad, had long hair & wore tight-ass pants, you would have chicks all over you. Perfect example...Warrant. They knew how to do it. Jani Lane was actually a very good song writer/musician.

My ipod has a lot of many glam/metal bands on it. Because it's usually on shuffle, I crack up when a song from that genre/time period plays, especially White Lion or Slaughter. But you know I'm still singing along. lol

#59 2012-12-13 5:40am

ProThunder4
Museum Addict
Bikes: 9

I still can't figure out why a whole generation of guys wore tight clothes (often with sequins, leopard prints, etc.), as well as dangley earrings and make-up, did up their hair like chicks, sucked in their cheeks for pictures, and we all somehow thought they were cool.  And then, of all guys, Rob Halford turns out to be gay.  The '80s, man.  Even as a kid I would sometimes ask myself, "WTF are we doing?'

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; / For he to-day that sheds his blood with me / Shall be my brother ... / gentlemen ... now-a-bed / Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here / And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks / That fought with us

#60 2012-12-13 6:09am

nightsblood
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
Website

I wore out the first LA Guns tape riding in the garage BITD.  Anybody ever get into the London Quireboys?  I just recently started listening to them thanks to Hair Nation.

Yeah I want Cheesy Poofs!

#61 2012-12-13 6:59am

Gustafa
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2
Website

Nobodies mentioned Winger?

You take top end studio musicians and give them some Aqua-net and bam! LMAO

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/images/artists/winger.jpg

#62 2012-12-13 7:37am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Website

Gustafa wrote:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/image … winger.jpg

Kip Winger wrote:

I saw sparks fly, from the corner of my eye
And when I turned, it was love at first sight
I said please excuse me, I didn't catch your name
Oh it'd be a shame not to see you again
And just when I thought she was comin' to my door
She whispered sweet and brought me to the floor, she said
I'm only seventeen, but I'll show you love like you've never seen
She's only seventeen, daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me
Come to my place, we can talk it over, oh everything going down in your head
She said take it easy, I need some time, time to work it out, to make you mine
I'm only seventeen, you ain't seen love, ain't seen nothing like me
She's only seventeen, seventeen
Such a bad girl, loves to work me overtime
Feels good (ha), dancin' close to the borderline
She's a magic mountain, she's a leather glove
Oh she's my soul, it must be love
She's only seventeen, still she gives me love, like I've never seen
She's everything I need, daddy says she's too young
But she's old enough, old enough for me

bold

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65e1d4b4d05.jpg[/img]

#63 2012-12-13 11:08am

SuperDave4130

ProThunder4 wrote:

I still can't figure out why a whole generation of guys wore tight clothes (often with sequins, leopard prints, etc.), as well as dangley earrings and make-up, did up their hair like chicks, sucked in their cheeks for pictures, and we all somehow thought they were cool.  And then, of all guys, Rob Halford turns out to be gay.  The '80s, man.  Even as a kid I would sometimes ask myself, "WTF are we doing?'

Thank goodness for speed metal! For me in the '80s my metal preferences were either something loud and evil,or some band whose lead guitarist is a wicked shredder. cool

#64 2012-12-13 11:55am

nightsblood
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
Website

SuperDave4130 wrote:

ProThunder4 wrote:

Thank goodness for speed metal! For me in the '80s my metal preferences were either something loud and evil,or some band whose lead guitarist is a wicked shredder. cool

YOu guys were only slightly better off.  With your skin tight black bubble gum jeans tucked into your white Reeboks.  big_smile

Yeah I want Cheesy Poofs!

#65 2012-12-13 2:43pm

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo

nightsblood wrote:

SuperDave4130 wrote:

ProThunder4 wrote:

YOu guys were only slightly better off.  With your skin tight black bubble gum jeans tucked into your white Reeboks.  big_smile

You're right. Thrash/speed medal had tight pants just like the hair/glam metal bands.

I never understood why it was such a big deal to like different genres of metal. Hell...to like ALL different genres of music. BITD I listened to all types of music...from Cinderella (under-rated IMO) to Metallica to RUN-DMC to Michael Jackson (He was a bad MFer.).

To this day I have the craziest mix of music in my iPod. One minute you'll be listening to Anthrax or Death Angel. The next minute Kelly Clarkson or Beyonce will be on. For the most part, I like it all. Still trying to stomach some country though. hmm

#66 2012-12-13 7:04pm

ProThunder4
Museum Addict

Has anybody mentioned Stryper, the Jesus Metal crossover band?  They're apparently still touring!

Anthrax was another early favorite of mine and a bit more respectable from an Appalachian teenager's perspective than most.  Their glam phase was mercifully short, and they always had some of the best riffs in the business.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; / For he to-day that sheds his blood with me / Shall be my brother ... / gentlemen ... now-a-bed / Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here / And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks / That fought with us

#67 2012-12-13 10:36pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Website

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Gustafa wrote:

Kip Winger wrote:

I saw sparks fly, from the corner of my eye
And when I turned, it was love at first sight
I said please excuse me, I didn't catch your name
Oh it'd be a shame not to see you again
I'm only seventeen, but I'll show you love like you've never seen
Come to my place, we can talk it over, oh everything going down in your head
She said take it easy, I need some time, time to work it out, to make you mine
I'm only seventeen, you ain't seen love, ain't seen nothing like me
She's only seventeen, seventeen
Such a bad girl, loves to work me overtime
Feels good (ha), dancin' close to the borderline
She's a magic mountain, she's a leather glove
Oh she's my soul, it must be love
She's only seventeen, still she gives me love, like I've never seen
She's everything I need, daddy says she's too young
But she's old enough, old enough for me

bold

#68 2012-12-13 10:42pm

bmxgrimreaper
Pro MemberEvel Kinevel

I don't know if i said it before? You Kurt, Johnny, And the rest?  What about anvil?

#69 2012-12-14 2:46am

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo

ProThunder4 wrote:

Has anybody mentioned Stryper, the Jesus Metal crossover band?  They're apparently still touring!

Anthrax was another early favorite of mine and a bit more respectable from an Appalachian teenager's perspective than most.  Their glam phase was mercifully short, and they always had some of the best riffs in the business.

I'm an Anthrax fan. Love there stuff. I personally like what they did with John Bush more than Joey Belladonna. And that's not to say that I dislike the Joey stuff. Those albums are kickass. I just think the albums with John Bush just really took Anthrax to a different level in their playing and writing.

Stryper! Yellow & Black Attack! They're really good musicians. They never really bothered me. A lot of people talked sh!t about them being Christian, but whatever. When it comes to song writing, you write about what is in your heart & head at the time. Theirs just happened to be about Christianity.

There are so many, but I can't think of them at the moment, but who remembers:
- Trixter
- Every Mother's Nightmare
- Faster Pussycat
- Bang Tango
- Enuff Z Nuff

#70 2012-12-14 2:47am

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo

Just found this list:
1. Mötley Crüe
  2. KISS
  3. Guns N' Roses
  4. Def Leppard
  5. Scorpions
  6. Whitesnake
  7. Dokken
  8. Aerosmith (80's era)
  9. Tesla
10. Bon Jovi
11. Skid Row
12. Alice Cooper
13. Cinderella
14. Poison
15. W.A.S.P.
16. RATT
17. Stryper
18. Quiet Riot
19. Hanoi Rocks
20. Twisted Sister
21. Extreme
22. Great White
23. Warrant
24. Y & T
25. Kix
26. White Lion
27. L.A. Guns
28. Mr. Big
29. Damn Yankees
30. Faster Pussycat
31. Firehouse
32. Slaughter
33. David Lee Roth
34. Vinnie Vincent Invasion
35. Winger
36. Love/Hate
37. Night Ranger
38. Enuff Z Nuff
39. Nitro
40. Helix
41. Europe
42. Lita Ford
43. Thunder
44. Steelheart
45. Lynch Mob
46. Badlands
47. Vixen
48. Autograph
49. Keel
50. Dangerous Toys
51. Bang Tango
52. Whitecross
53. Jackyl
54. Micheal Monroe
55. Vain
56. Kick Axe
57. Giant
58. Bullet Boys
59. Steeler
60. EZO
61. Trixter
62. Danger Danger
63. Tyketto
64. Lizzy Borden
65. Britny Fox
66. Jetboy
67. Zodiac Mindwarp
68. Pretty Boy Floyd
69. Junkyard
70. Hurricane
71. Tuff
72. Roxy Blue
73. Black 'n' Blue
74. Aldo Nova
75. Angel
76. House of Lords
77. Wildside
78. Candy Harlots
79. Wrathchild
80. The Darkness
81. Babylon A.D.
82. Tora Tora
83. T.N.T.
84. Sleeze Beez
85. Blue Murder
86. King Kobra
87. Vince Neil
88. The Scream
89. Shotgun Messiah
90. Contraband
91. Killer Dwarfs
92. Mr. Nasty
93. Wild Boyz
94. Kik Tracee
95. Southgang
96. Rockhead
97. Beau Nasty
98. Ace Frehley
99. Saigon Kick
100. Nelson

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/b … r-art.html

#71 2012-12-14 5:31am

ProThunder4
Museum Addict

JPinFL wrote:

I'm an Anthrax fan. Love there stuff. I personally like what they did with John Bush more than Joey Belladonna. And that's not to say that I dislike the Joey stuff. Those albums are kickass. I just think the albums with John Bush just really took Anthrax to a different level in their playing and writing.

I'd say the Bush albums have a sort of rough-hewn maturity about them, but I gotta say that the first two minutes of "Among the Living" epitomizes the Anthrax sound for me and all that is awesome about '80s metal.  They were just going for it.

#72 2013-05-09 3:53pm

SuperDave4130

DonBot wrote:

SoGnarly wrote:

Old Queensryche cool

If you get a chance to see them with the new singer, Todd La Torre, do it! He nails all the old stuff.

I was talking with one of my buddies a couple of weeks ago about Queensryche and he told me that their new singer Todd La Torre is actually Geoff Tate's son in-law.

#73 2013-05-11 4:07am

preGTpowerlite
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Geoff Tate has lost his mind along with his voice. Did you see the clip from their last show together at rocklahoma 2012? lol

#74 2013-05-11 11:15pm

SuperDave4130

JPinFL wrote:

During that time, if you wrote a kickass ballad, had long hair & wore tight-ass pants, you would have chicks all over you. Perfect example...Warrant. They knew how to do it. Jani Lane was actually a very good song writer/musician.

I saw an interview with Jani Lane where he said that he wished that he never wrote the song,"Cherry Pie." He said that the "Cherry Pie" album was originally going to be called,"Uncle Tom's Cabin" but the record label wanted one more track for the album so he wrote the song "Cherry Pie" in about five minutes,they recorded it,and the record label renamed the album,"Cherry Pie."

Last edited by SuperDave4130 (2013-05-11 11:22pm)

#75 2013-05-12 11:00am

SuperDave4130

Gustafa wrote:

Winger was another one of those bands that I thought was seriously overrated. roll I mentioned Seduce in an earlier posting here,now there's a band that should have gotten some serious attention but didn't. Seduce was one of the few hair metal bands that my friends who were into thrash/speed metal liked because of their edgy sound.I always thought that Seduce was way better than Poison,Ratt,Winger,Bon Jovi,and most of the other hair metal bands from that era.I totally agreed with a fellow Seduce fan when he posted on their Facebook page that comparing Poison to Seduce is like comparing Sesame Street to Pulp Fiction. cool

Board footer

View Cart →