You are not logged in.

Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

#26 2012-10-25 7:43pm

m3brendan
Expert
From: Brentwood, TN
Registered: 2011-04-17
Posts: 831
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

Mmmm...mine appears to be 20".  I measured my Dirtbike and it is the same length, but the serials are really different.  Is my Mad Dog really a Dirtbike? hmm  It doesn't have a gusset, but I know some of the earlier DB's didn't come with one either.  Anyone ever seen a 20" Dirtbike?


Nothings says late 80s BMX like a mullet hanging out the back of a Dyno UL helmet

Offline

 

#27 2012-10-25 8:01pm

papalone13
Museum Addict
From: NJ
Registered: 2011-01-02
Posts: 2554
Bikes: 32
Website
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

hmm, this appears to be the mystery at hand.

what we do know:
1289, S&M P = 20"
1289 S&M ST = 19.5

if an s&m ST (standard) is a 19.5, that an s&m P is either a mad dog pro or a dirtbike. my guess would be on dirtbike from what we've seen. also, Dannywhac said moeller said a s&m P is a dirtbike. my guess is that there is no such thing as a mad dog pro in 1989/1990. im thinkin that dirtbike took the place of a mad dog pro.

Offline

 

#28 2012-10-25 8:09pm

papalone13
Museum Addict
From: NJ
Registered: 2011-01-02
Posts: 2554
Bikes: 32
Website
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

also what it looks like, is that the 11/90 serial numbers are:

1190xxxx S&MP = 19.5"
1190xxxx S&M XL= 20"

Last edited by papalone13 (2012-10-26 2:08pm)

Offline

 

#29 2012-10-25 8:24pm

cru jones 2
Pro Member"da Holmes"
From: California
Registered: 2005-07-01
Posts: 1428
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

my mad dog pro (1990) has a center to center of 19.5. If i remember correctly the md/db overlap the mad dogs were closer in style to the later db and holmes style and the og dirtbikes had more squared head tube and bb milling like cw/revcore with longer dropouts.


whips*chains*chromoly frames

I put the "x!" in bmx!

Offline

 

#30 2012-10-25 8:38pm

papalone13
Museum Addict
From: NJ
Registered: 2011-01-02
Posts: 2554
Bikes: 32
Website
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

excellent cru, thanks man! so looks like weve got a lot of things settled.

the general consensus is that a 20" TT is a dirtbike. anything less than 20 is a mad dog.

(1988 model) smxxxx 18.5" TT , 19.5" TT (both sizes are mad dogs)
(June 1989) 689xxxx PSM -20" TT (Dirtbike)
(December 1989) 1289xxxx S&M ST= 19.5 TT (mad dog)
(December 1989) 1289xxxx S&M P = 20" TT (Dirtbike)
(November 1990) 1190xxxx S&M P= 19.5" TT (mad dog)
(November 1990) 1190xxxx S&M XL = 20" TT (Dirtbike)

keep up the good work boys!

Last edited by papalone13 (2012-10-25 8:40pm)

Offline

 

#31 2012-10-25 8:47pm

cru jones 2
Pro Member"da Holmes"
From: California
Registered: 2005-07-01
Posts: 1428
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

word!


whips*chains*chromoly frames

I put the "x!" in bmx!

Offline

 

#32 2012-10-25 8:56pm

Nbl 49a
Pro Member
From: Scottsdale, AZ..og New York
Registered: 2006-11-14
Posts: 1249
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

Mike,

Awesome job putting this thread together. It was on my mind as well. I will contribute some information to this thread in the next couple of days.


Please come join our groups on Facebook, at S&M Bmx USA, Kastan Collectors, Freestylin’ Magazine, Cycle Craft Collectors, TNT Bicycles Group, 90’s Bmx, and Old School Bmx Arizona.

Offline

 

#33 2012-10-25 9:26pm

m3brendan
Expert
From: Brentwood, TN
Registered: 2011-04-17
Posts: 831
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

papalone13 wrote:

excellent cru, thanks man! so looks like weve got a lot of things settled.

the general consensus is that a 20" TT is a dirtbike. anything less than 20 is a mad dog.

(1988 model) smxxxx 18.5" TT , 19.5" TT (both sizes are mad dogs)
(June 1989) 689xxxx PSM -20" TT (Dirtbike)
(December 1989) 1289xxxx S&M ST= 19.5 TT (mad dog)
(December 1989) 1289xxxx S&M P = 20" TT (Dirtbike)
(November 1990) 1190xxxx S&M P= 19.5" TT (mad dog)
(November 1990) 1190xxxx S&M XL = 20" TT (Dirtbike)

keep up the good work boys!

Yeah man- thanks for organizing the thread.

Unfortunately it appears that I bought a Dirtbike represented as a Mad Dog.  Didn't see that one coming...I cold got played.  sad


Nothings says late 80s BMX like a mullet hanging out the back of a Dyno UL helmet

Offline

 

#34 2012-10-25 11:05pm

war_machine
Centurion Member
From: Australia
Registered: 2009-01-14
Posts: 237
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

2nd pic from top the green '88 is 19.5

Offline

 

#35 2012-10-26 3:54am

war_machine
Centurion Member
From: Australia
Registered: 2009-01-14
Posts: 237
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

opps sorry third pic, wasn't showing up on my phone

Offline

 

#36 2012-10-26 6:52am

se666
Pro Member'Da Pineapple'
From: Nor-Cal
Registered: 2009-11-28
Posts: 3837
Bikes: 80
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

m3brendan wrote:

papalone13 wrote:

excellent cru, thanks man! so looks like weve got a lot of things settled.

the general consensus is that a 20" TT is a dirtbike. anything less than 20 is a mad dog.

(1988 model) smxxxx 18.5" TT , 19.5" TT (both sizes are mad dogs)
(June 1989) 689xxxx PSM -20" TT (Dirtbike)
(December 1989) 1289xxxx S&M ST= 19.5 TT (mad dog)
(December 1989) 1289xxxx S&M P = 20" TT (Dirtbike)
(November 1990) 1190xxxx S&M P= 19.5" TT (mad dog)
(November 1990) 1190xxxx S&M XL = 20" TT (Dirtbike)

keep up the good work boys!

Yeah man- thanks for organizing the thread.

Unfortunately it appears that I bought a Dirtbike represented as a Mad Dog.  Didn't see that one coming...I cold got played.  sad

Fukin bullshit...I sold that bike as how I bought it. I never put it together. I paid Hboost the same as I sold it. He sold it to me as a Mad Dog last year and I figured he was a S&M expert as he sells alot of S&M stuff. I keep getting stuck with everyones bullshit when they want to cash out. Fuc this.


[img]http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/HPIM0764.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#37 2012-10-26 7:16am

se666
Pro Member'Da Pineapple'
From: Nor-Cal
Registered: 2009-11-28
Posts: 3837
Bikes: 80
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

Dont fukin talk about being "cold played" as I didnt fuk you. I sold you a frame I got from Hboost with the cook fork that went with it. I was told by him that it was a Mad Dog. Earlier in the tread you even say it has the similar serial number as your brothers mad dog. So dont say I fuked you with out first asking me! I didnt know this and Im tired on getting the short end of shit. What everyone wants to off their shit on me? Im sick of it be real and pm me before you call me something Im not.


[img]http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/se666/HPIM0764.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#38 2012-10-26 7:19am

hboost
Pro Member
From: Petaluma, CA
Registered: 2008-01-21
Posts: 4612
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 4
Online

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

With all the variations and manufacturers its hard to tell whether you have a DirtBike or Mad Dog. For MK1 Dirt Bikes I've seen 3 manufacturers alone. I bought the Mad Dog I sold to Pat as a Mad Dog, and that's what it will be.


Check out my Want to Buy posts.

Online

 

#39 2012-10-26 7:31am

Dannywhac
Expert
From: Suffolk, UK
Registered: 2010-11-18
Posts: 583
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

Yeah - lets not jump the gun - this is just a thread on getting a database together of TT lengths/serials smile

Things were chaotic back when these frames/forks were being made, B&E, CW/Revcore, GT and so on all made 'em. Sticker sets got put on all models, TT lengths are gonna vary if jigs varied from weld shop to weld shop. Maybe left over drops got used etc etc.

As an example of how shchizz switched round back then, take a look at these forks (thanks for the pic Mr Gosling):

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd42/clivegossa/DSC02816.jpg

You'd look at them and go they're CW/Revcore - well they're actually S&M forks that were manufactured by CW in around '89 - Chris M. didn't like the rake on' 'em so they went back to the S&M Fork.

Last edited by Dannywhac (2012-10-26 7:38am)

Offline

 

#40 2012-10-26 7:32am

hboost
Pro Member
From: Petaluma, CA
Registered: 2008-01-21
Posts: 4612
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 4
Online

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

Plus, now that I've gone thru my emails I've found the frame in question and it has an OG downtube decal.  This is another reason why I've dumped all my S&Ms, all these fairly recent "experts" will swear they know some stuff when even Chris Moeller will tell you all you have is a Dirt Bike when its a Mad Dog really. He never liked anybody having the Mad Dog, that was his frame....that's why he went to the Dirt Bike in the first place. I dont give a sh1t what the tt length is, the og decals dont lie.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/hboost/2001%20Pontiac%20WS6/IMG_8760.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/hboost/2001%20Pontiac%20WS6/IMG_8761.jpg


Check out my Want to Buy posts.

Online

 

#41 2012-10-26 7:51am

Dannywhac
Expert
From: Suffolk, UK
Registered: 2010-11-18
Posts: 583
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

hboost wrote:

Plus, now that I've gone thru my emails I've found the frame in question and it has an OG downtube decal.  This is another reason why I've dumped all my S&Ms, all these fairly recent "experts" will swear they know some stuff when even Chris Moeller will tell you all you have is a Dirt Bike when its a Mad Dog really. He never liked anybody having the Mad Dog, that was his frame....that's why he went to the Dirt Bike in the first place. I dont give a sh1t what the tt length is, the og decals dont lie.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/ … G_8760.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/ … G_8761.jpg

That's what I'm trying to say Joe - I don't think you get a standard 'one size fits all' back then - if the frame's sold back then with MD or DB decals, then it's an MD or DB respectively. It's only when they started putting the DB or HXL on them that you can say for definite what the frame is if it doesn't have it's original decals.

Offline

 

#42 2012-10-26 7:55am

papalone13
Museum Addict
From: NJ
Registered: 2011-01-02
Posts: 2554
Bikes: 32
Website
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

Yeah like I said "the general consensus." not written in stone. Let's keep getting info on serial numbers and top tube lengths before Anyone gets upset.

Offline

 

#43 2012-10-26 8:02am

hboost
Pro Member
From: Petaluma, CA
Registered: 2008-01-21
Posts: 4612
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 4
Online

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

Im all for discussion and info gathering.....I'm not upset, but when names get thrown around and money gets involved there's always someone bound to get upset.


Check out my Want to Buy posts.

Online

 

#44 2012-10-26 8:04am

m3brendan
Expert
From: Brentwood, TN
Registered: 2011-04-17
Posts: 831
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

I didn't meant to upset either Pat or Joe and apologize if I did so.  When I said I got played I had forgotten that I had mentioned who I bought the frame from earlier in the thread thereby making it some type of public callout.  I agree that dirty laundry needs to be aired through PMs before taken public on a thread.  The decals on my frame don't seem OG to me since the bike was well ridden but the decals are perfect, but I'll take your word for it Joe.  This ends here.

Sorry for the temporary distraction everyone...


Nothings says late 80s BMX like a mullet hanging out the back of a Dyno UL helmet

Offline

 

#45 2012-10-26 8:12am

hboost
Pro Member
From: Petaluma, CA
Registered: 2008-01-21
Posts: 4612
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 4
Online

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

m3brendan wrote:

I didn't meant to upset either Pat or Joe and apologize if I did so.  When I said I got played I had forgotten that I had mentioned who I bought the frame from earlier in the thread thereby making it some type of public callout.  I agree that dirty laundry needs to be aired through PMs before taken public on a thread.  The decals on my frame don't seem OG to me since the bike was well ridden but the decals are perfect, but I'll take your word for it Joe.  This ends here.

Sorry for the temporary distraction everyone...

I didn't have reproductions out then, that was my first mad dog frame. Look at the green Holmes next to it, a well thrashed frame with nice decals still.


Check out my Want to Buy posts.

Online

 

#46 2012-10-26 8:14am

Dannywhac
Expert
From: Suffolk, UK
Registered: 2010-11-18
Posts: 583
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

hboost wrote:

m3brendan wrote:

I didn't meant to upset either Pat or Joe and apologize if I did so.  When I said I got played I had forgotten that I had mentioned who I bought the frame from earlier in the thread thereby making it some type of public callout.  I agree that dirty laundry needs to be aired through PMs before taken public on a thread.  The decals on my frame don't seem OG to me since the bike was well ridden but the decals are perfect, but I'll take your word for it Joe.  This ends here.

Sorry for the temporary distraction everyone...

I didn't have reproductions out then, that was my first mad dog frame. Look at the green Holmes next to it, a well thrashed frame with nice decals still.

I can vouch for the Holmes frame as I now have it smile

Offline

 

#47 2012-10-26 8:37am

m3brendan
Expert
From: Brentwood, TN
Registered: 2011-04-17
Posts: 831
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

Dannywhac wrote:

hboost wrote:

m3brendan wrote:

I didn't meant to upset either Pat or Joe and apologize if I did so.  When I said I got played I had forgotten that I had mentioned who I bought the frame from earlier in the thread thereby making it some type of public callout.  I agree that dirty laundry needs to be aired through PMs before taken public on a thread.  The decals on my frame don't seem OG to me since the bike was well ridden but the decals are perfect, but I'll take your word for it Joe.  This ends here.

Sorry for the temporary distraction everyone...

I didn't have reproductions out then, that was my first mad dog frame. Look at the green Holmes next to it, a well thrashed frame with nice decals still.

I can vouch for the Holmes frame as I now have it smile

I love that frame.  Joe had it for sale several times when I first joined the site and I passed on it because it wasn't "clean".  I instantly regreted it when I saw Dannywhac's build...looks good.


Nothings says late 80s BMX like a mullet hanging out the back of a Dyno UL helmet

Offline

 

#48 2012-10-26 8:39am

Dannywhac
Expert
From: Suffolk, UK
Registered: 2010-11-18
Posts: 583
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

m3brendan wrote:

Dannywhac wrote:

hboost wrote:


I didn't have reproductions out then, that was my first mad dog frame. Look at the green Holmes next to it, a well thrashed frame with nice decals still.

I can vouch for the Holmes frame as I now have it smile

I love that frame.  Joe had it for sale several times when I first joined the site and I passed on it because it wasn't "clean".  I instantly regreted it when I saw Dannywhac's build...looks good.

Cheers dude - love it as well. Rides real nice smile

Offline

 

#49 2012-10-26 9:11am

wagonguy
Pro Member
From: Reno, NV
Registered: 2007-06-29
Posts: 3606
For Sale: 3
Offline

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

What is the provenance on the frame in question? Where did it come from before hboost bought it? Can it's history be traced back? Just because hboost didn't have repops when he had it, doesn't means someone else didn't. Or even used OG stickers.

"I bought it as a Mad Dog and that's what it will be" is one of the most arrogant things I've ever heard on this site.


This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Would love to acquire a Sunn B-Mix 26.

Offline

 

#50 2012-10-26 9:31am

hboost
Pro Member
From: Petaluma, CA
Registered: 2008-01-21
Posts: 4612
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 4
Online

Re: Post up your S&M MAD DOG info!

If Brendan wants to get into tracing the history of his frame he can PM me, I'll be glad to help. I'm not gonna start name dropping just to satisfy the curiosity of a small handful of folks. Plus, I've owned most of the frames/bikes pictured above and have seen all types of anomalies. Even now you can order a custom frame from S&M, the serials most of the time are the same as production frames unless you order a custom serial...I'm almost positive you could've done the same back then also.


Check out my Want to Buy posts.

Online

 

Board footer