Recently Jason Kraig has been diagnosed with APL Leukemia  RSS Feed

#1 2012-09-06 9:03am

GAry
Owner/CuratorYes, I started this site!
Bikes: 404
For Sale: 35
Website

Recently Jason Kraig has been diagnosed with APL Leukemia

Recently Jason Kraig one of our long term members and BMX enthusiast for over 35 years has run into some bad luck. He was admitted to Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) in Portland Oregon and has been diagnosed with APL Leukemia, it is the rarest form that only about 5% of people get, but has the best recovery rate. It is so rare very little information can even be found on the internet.  He was recently let out on September 3rd for 1 day, but was rushed back in with a 103.7 fever. Once upon arriving in the ER they thought he was having a heart attack and things went crazy. More than 10 people rushed the room with large machines and his wife and he had no idea what was going on. They said it look like it already happened so it was called off. They thought maybe it was an enlarge heart with a sack formed around it which constricted it (Pericarditis) which it turned out to be. He was in the ICU for two days then went back to where he has been the last month which is the Phil Knight Cancer Center 14k. He is doing a bit better but it is still unknown as what caused it all. Possibly a virus, or side effects of everything he has gone through.  He has been undergoing heavy duty chemotherapy and testing. But this is not the end. Once he finally gets to leave, he will be in outpatient therapy and doing the chemo all over. His medication cost $9,500 per month and will have to take it for another two years.

This is not a scam, and everything can be verified through the hospital, family, friends, and his Facebook page that he gives updates when he can http://www.facebook.com/jason.kraig . We are looking at ways to help take the burden off his family. He is currently unemployed, and his company offers no kind of disability, so there is no income. They are keeping up his insurance payments, but we all know what that with pay. 80% at best. We have set up a PayPal fund for anyone who would like to help. Jason has a wife of 21 years (anniversary was  Sept 5th in the hospital, he has two son’s Taylor who is a junior in HS, Jordan who is a senior, and 2 Dachshund’s (wiener dogs), Maggie May and Oakley. No donation is too small.
Paypal: jasonkraig@comcast.net

[img]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg/v1/fill/w_926,h_30,al_c,lg_1,q_80/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site Rules   Guide For New Members  Become a Pro Member  For Sale Section Rules  How to post picts
Yes, I started this website myself, way back in 1999, thanks for sharing my passion about BMX!!

#2 2012-09-06 9:16am

maximum85
!!!The Sales Man!!! "1000 CLUB"
Bikes: 2

Re: Recently Jason Kraig has been diagnosed with APL Leukemia

that is terrible...following him on facebook..he has a positive attitude and his wife has never left his side...praying for his full recovery of this..cancer SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 2012-09-06 9:29am

jkraig
Pro MemberLive Love Sleep BMX
Bikes: 82
For Sale: 1

Thank you Gary!!!!

Now I look like Telly Savalas or Lurch lol. I hear it may grow back thicker. Lets hope so.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/jkraig/Snapshot_20120906_1.jpg

Wanted: OURY grip jersey patch

****  Friends don't let friends ride Moosegoose's ****

#4 2012-09-06 9:31am

dts123
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

1 year 4 months and about 15 days cancer free for me.  and yes as Maximum85 says "CANCER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!"

If anyone knows this guy personally, Please pass along our thoughts and prayers.  To me it was very helpfull to hear good news from survivors.  I had a PET/CT scan in April and all was clear and had Surgery end of March the year before.  SO I'm stoked after being a stage 3 Melanoma survivor.  I see so many doctors it feels like I go every month. But hey it is always good to hear them say, looking good keep it up.   
It tears your feelings up on the inside. Even today I get choked up hearing about a new person or a death. 
Keep the love going out to this guy and to all that you all know.  Just to hear people say you look good or heard your doing well.  Means a lot.

Was Looking for an RL20ii...Was looking for a master or sport.  Now looking for a Trickstar.

#5 2012-09-06 9:33am

jkraig

dts123 wrote:

1 year 4 months and about 15 days cancer free for me.  and yes as Maximum85 says "CANCER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!"

If anyone knows this guy personally, Please pass along our thoughts and prayers.  To me it was very helpfull to hear good news from survivors.  I had a PET/CT scan in April and all was clear and had Surgery end of March the year before.  SO I'm stoked after being a stage 3 Melanoma survivor.  I see so many doctors it feels like I go every month. But hey it is always good to hear them say, looking good keep it up.   
It tears your feelings up on the inside. Even today I get choked up hearing about a new person or a death. 
Keep the love going out to this guy and to all that you all know.  Just to hear people say you look good or heard your doing well.  Means a lot.

That is great news. It's tough, and I only know partially what you went through.

#6 2012-09-06 9:41am

erichevy
Pro Member
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 6
Website

Sorry to hear about this Jason.  You are in my thoughts man.  I wish you the best.

"I majored in punk rock" - Mike Watt

#7 2012-09-06 9:48am

dts123
Pro Member

jkraig wrote:

dts123 wrote:

That is great news. It's tough, and I only know partially what you went through.

Keep your head up bro.  Took me a good while before I could tell anyone about my condition. It was actually after my surgeries. Hell I didn't even tell Facebook till after my 1 year PET/CT scans were clean.  And I'm a avid poster on there.  "Here's a pic of my kids", "here's a pic of my dinner", "heres a pic of my beer..." hahaa
Finally it was Here's a story about my Cancer...
I didnt' have any Chemo or Radiation , just 2 surgeries, (Melanoma doesnt' really react to chemo) but a lady that works a couple desks over had breast cancer same time as I had my battle and she went through it all.  She finished her treatments about 2 months ago and now has a good hair growth. Actually thicker than before.
She is right at her 1 year clear mark.  And another example for you. My old boss, she was late stage 3 probably in to 4 techincally as it had spread, Uterine cancer spread to stomack and I think colon.  She is now 6 years cancer free.  And my buddy in Oct last year at 38 years old got testicular and so far so good for him now also.  So keep to the treatments, they suck but I beleive in the meds. 
Best to you man.

Last edited by dts123 (2012-09-06 9:49am)

Was Looking for an RL20ii...Was looking for a master or sport.  Now looking for a Trickstar.

#8 2012-09-06 9:53am

its-all-good
Pro MemberDon't Cheers Me Bro
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 170
Website

Hope your feeling better real soon.

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/boycottnfl-290x975ba19db9e6.jpg[/img]

#9 2012-09-06 10:10am

ivegotabike
BMX FREEDOM VESSEL
Bikes: 14
Website

Marking. My thaughts are with you.

My next bike will be my LAST one.

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.
Hunter S. Thompson

#10 2012-09-07 10:06am

ivegotabike
BMX FREEDOM VESSEL
Website

More good vibes to you!

My next bike will be my LAST one.

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.
Hunter S. Thompson

#11 2012-09-07 2:13pm

jkraig

I just wanted to thank the members who have sent donations. Thank you a ton!!!

I am feeling much better today. I just had a blood transfusion this morning as the tank was a bit low.

Hey Duddy, where's my picture?

#12 2012-09-11 3:27am

jkraig

I have been feeling pretty good the past few day. I ended up getting a blood clot in my leg so they are trying to break it down. I have to get 2 shots a day in my stomach for the next 6 weeks, but things could be worse. The Dr told me this morning that my cell levels are looking very good and that my bone marrow looks like it is doing it's job. If everything looks good tomorrow, there is a good chance I may get to go home on Wednesday, and continue my chemo and treatment as an outpatient in the clinic the next 3 months. It will sure be nice to get out of here, after being in the hospital the past 6 weeks.

Being in here has given me allot of time to think. It seems as though the past few years I have just been going through the paces and not living life to the fullest. Once I get out of here, there are so many things I am going to change.

I want to thank you all again for your support, prayers, long talks, and encouragement. It's really nice to have such caring people, even from some I have never met face to face. And without my family, especially my wife, things would have been much harder.

#13 2012-09-11 3:46am

maximum85
!!!The Sales Man!!! "1000 CLUB"
Bikes: 2

good to hear Jason..keep fighting!!

#14 2012-09-11 4:49am

MotoMagMatt
"Old School or No School"
Bikes: 13
Website

My prayers are with you Jason. Hope all goes well.

I'm always looking for early Mongoose frames with the lower gusset, 75-76 or early 77. And anything Ashtabula!!!
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR OG SCRAMBLERS.
SEARCHING FOR A PRE-1983 SCHWINN SCRAMBLER THAT WAS PURCHASED FROM THE OUTDOOR STORE IN RED WING,MN THAT STILL HAS THE OUTDOOR STORE STICKER ON IT. ANY COLOR COMBO WILL DO.

#15 2012-09-11 4:50am

hammamx
Pro Member

I franking HATE CANCER im so sorry your going through this i wish you and your familiy all the best stay positive and strong i no its hard sometimes

#16 2012-09-11 1:18pm

jkraig

I just got the thumbs up from the doctor. Unless something drastic changes overnight, I am headed home tomorrow!!!!!   big_smile

#17 2012-09-11 1:24pm

Scraplord
Pro MemberTaste My Metal
For Sale: 29
Website

You seem to have a pretty good attitude about it. I hope you beat it!

Still searching for my missing bikes from BITD. 1979 Blue Max serial: CI9 221346 and 1977 Webco serial: 42667. Both were last seen at Spoke and Sport Bicycles in Spokane, WA around 1984. $600 reward if found!!

"Have you ever noticed that other people`s stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?" - George Carlin

WANT TO BUY 26" COOK BROS 3 BAR CRUISER!! TOP DOLLAR PAID!

#18 2012-09-11 1:28pm

BMX*Racer*1983
Pro Member
Bikes: 32

cool

[img]http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp314/buddysam1/new/sig2-1.jpg[/img]

-----If I Owe You Feedback Please LMK----- 

---R.I.P DAD I LOVE YOU 11/26/40 - 12/12/13--- It is what it is CUZ!!!

#19 2012-09-11 2:05pm

perront
Pro MemberCosmic Slop
Bikes: 20

cool

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- -- King of Qin, Hero

#20 2012-09-11 9:06pm

wburke17
Pro MemberThe Nefarious one
Bikes: 28
Website

Glad to hear the good news.
Thou I have never meet you, you are in my thoughts and I pray for more good news..

Stay strong and keep the good thoughts!!!!1

Warren

#21 2012-09-12 2:21pm

jkraig

Well, it is good to be home!!! big_smile

The bad news today, is that my employer notified me my job not longer exists. They will be by tomorrow to pick up my company car and business belongings. Couldn't they have just hired someone temporarily, and then given my job back to me when I return healthy? Sure seems like the humane thing to do. Kind of a shot below the belt if you ask me. Not even I hope you get better, and thank you for your services. They did say I could re-apply with them down the rode if I would like to. Really???

#22 2012-09-12 2:38pm

preGTpowerlite
Expert

Thats not right! Its sad but employers dont care anymore. Their motto is you can be replaced. Pee in the gas tank and dump some sand in the engine lol

#23 2012-09-12 2:46pm

dts123
Pro Member

That's stupid. That's what fmla is supposed to cover.  Good luck man.

#24 2012-09-12 3:45pm

wburke17
Pro MemberThe Nefarious one
Bikes: 28
Website

That blows!!!!!
I don't know the laws in OR. but aren't they suppose to hold your job till you come back then they can place you somewhere else or let you go?

#25 2012-09-12 3:52pm

freedo
White Boy With An Afro
Bikes: 52

hope all goes well for you man.  glad your getting to go home. cool

out with the new in with the old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile
mongoose decade guru, hit me up with any questions you may have
R.I.P  Autumn Pasquale. May she rest in Peace!
Instagram! @freedo70

Board footer

View Cart →