You are not logged in.

Dark Side Era  RSS Feed

#26 2012-09-04 3:56pm

Stoner71
BMXer 4 Life

Re: Dark Side Era

Only 1 thing will result from this thread, lock down.........you will reply to every post just like mine and it will grow to a point of uselessness. Then a mod says game over............if years of posts can't stop Hutch lovers from loving, hoarders from hoarding, old schoolers embracing new school..........this post is dead as well.........if I'm wrong and something changes, I will apologize and yell power to the people from a roof top, I promise.big_smile I seriously have no axe to grind here, I really don't care either way. But if you were walking down the street and saw a person " waiting " for aliens to land, wouldn't you say " don't hold your breath "? I would........lol if its any consolation, I laughed big time with the comment about pencil armed emo's........which I see as well. I'm not here to play internet ping pong from my moms basement, I promise.cool

Last edited by Stoner71 (2012-09-04 4:07pm)

Ummmmm..........Yeah.

#27 2012-09-04 4:51pm

badbill
Pro MemberBorn Ruthless
Bikes: 6

i think it is a thief defense tactic too. also i would just report stoners comments your thread makes valid points and he's just a douche. what's really funny is when he said something about your thread being shut down. most of these wisecrackers are jealous that they cant form a valid argument so they crap on someone elses thread. it happens to me all the time. guy doesnt even have the balls to start his own thread so he's crapping on yours, just report his crap.

look i can edit too to give it the appearance i just added a valid point or deleted some vulgarity lol which is it guess we'll never know. stoners are stupid i can't believe i used to be one.

fatguy is another wash i predict he's gonna say some nonsense too watch

Last edited by badbill (2012-09-04 5:46pm)

#28 2012-09-04 5:41pm

FatGuy
Pro MemberNot Big Boned
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 12
Website

No valid points.  Could do the same with a group of old school stuff.

FatGuy
aka Nick @ Porkchop BMX, PM w/ any Pork related questions!

#29 2012-09-04 5:45pm

Nychus
Centurion Member
Bikes: 8

no reporting.  Haters gonna hate.
back to the topic.  are we in a new era? If so what is a good name, or what to we rename the last last era. If the new one is to stay new school.
I propose "Dark School", because other members have said older riders sporting modern bikes have crossed over to the "Dark Side". Dark Age may be a better monicker since it seems as though people just don't want it discussed.

2008 Kink Gap would be considered New School by current definitions, but old style to modern riders heralding their new bikes. A freewheel instead of a 9t driver, and a sprocket with over 28t..  a frame that weighs over 5.5lbs,.. etc.  All things considered outdated.
http://www.hyper-activemedia.com/frightpics/image2.jpg

2009 Kink Gap would represent the new age.  Same bike. 1.25lbs lighter. Same geometry. 25t sprocket, and 9t driver.
http://www.hyper-activemedia.com/frightpics/image3.jpg

Even though frame geometry has been pretty consistent since 2003,..  since 2009 it has gone ridiculously standardized. And this year, take a look.  5 frames, 5 DIFFERENT companies,.. all over laid. i have already challenged anyone to do the same thing with any 5 bikes from the same year, with 5 different companies.
The modern era bikes are so strict on this strict frame type, i have even heard people complain that the Haro in the over lay has a "huge" old style seat post.  if you look close you can see it. That is the Haro in the composite.
http://www.hyper-activemedia.com/frightpics/eye_Exam.jpg

!Yo Endo!

#30 2012-09-04 5:47pm

badbill
Pro MemberBorn Ruthless
Bikes: 6

the new elves would fit right in that stack pic perfectly

#31 2012-09-04 5:52pm

no body
18yr old Frame-Wrecker
Bikes: 5

bro thats frames with the same geo if you get a s&m with diferent geo over a sunday with diferent geo it would look diferent do it with your photo shop POWA!!! lollollol i want to see if im wrong big_smile

I AM 18 YEARS OLD!!! big_smile follow me on instagram @remington_schaefer

Ride in peace Autum Pasquale

#32 2012-09-04 5:59pm

franticbmx
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2

Whatever's new will be new school. When all the threadless stuff came out we called it new school. New stuff will always be new, kids will be kids till they grow older. We can call it weight weenie school, or foam pit school. Ninja school?  I think a generation of bikes has to end befor naming the next wave. In before the lock!

All i want to buy is a cyclecraft made BLOCK.

#33 2012-09-04 6:09pm

no body
18yr old Frame-Wrecker

DO YOU EVEN LIFT!?!?!?! lollollollollol tongue this thread is useless lollollollollol roll

#34 2012-09-04 6:28pm

FatGuy
Pro MemberNot Big Boned
Website

Why not do some research on the differences of new bikes in addition to the similarities?

FatGuy

#35 2012-09-04 6:44pm

no body
18yr old Frame-Wrecker

FatGuy wrote:

Why not do some research on the differences of new bikes in addition to the similarities?

or go ride bikes instead lollollollollollollol cool

#36 2012-09-04 6:57pm

Stoner71
BMXer 4 Life

badbill wrote:

i think it is a thief defense tactic too. also i would just report stoners comments your thread makes valid points and he's just a douche. what's really funny is when he said something about your thread being shut down. most of these wisecrackers are jealous that they cant form a valid argument so they crap on someone elses thread. it happens to me all the time. guy doesnt even have the balls to start his own thread so he's crapping on yours, just report his crap.

look i can edit too to give it the appearance i just added a valid point or deleted some vulgarity lol which is it guess we'll never know. stoners are stupid i can't believe i used to be one.

fatguy is another wash i predict he's gonna say some nonsense too watch

Man dude, you are one lost human being. This is not a court of law. There are no Valid points, only opinions, which are like a$$holes, everyone has one. I'm only crapping on this thread if your on the other side of the fence. My side says that if there is no point except spinning your wheels and churning out the same old arguments that have been around for years. If its not this is that.......round and round we go. As far as reporting me, I'm curious for what? Being the realist who made the poster aware that the subject is at an impass and always will be? Okay.........as far as being jealous jgoes.......um jealous of what? You actually believe that this post enlightened me and I'm jealous I was at the back of the bus when it happened? Wow.......scary. my arguement isn't valid, its fact. Nothing will change, that's fact, not opinion, nor is it an arguement, its a statement that is pure fact. If you think that bikes should be broken down into groups and eras, that's fine. I say its splitting hairs and has no possibility of becoming anything but wind blowing opinions. As far as deleting vulgarity goes, trust me bad billy goat, that would never and I mean ever happen with me. There may be  lllllllllllllwind blowing fruit loops and peach fuzz covered kids who write check they can't cash, but that has not and will not ever apply to me in any way shape bor form.

Last edited by Stoner71 (2012-09-04 7:05pm)

Ummmmm..........Yeah.

#37 2012-09-04 7:01pm

freestyle5150
my friends call me OX

i like bikes..... they jump good

░▒▓▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▓▒░ ☆☆☆☆☆ ░▒▓▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▓▒░

Don't take anything I say seriously.... unless it's bike related.

░▒▓▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▓▒░ ☆☆☆☆☆ ░▒▓▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▓▒░

#38 2012-09-04 7:09pm

RDB
Pro Member

what if...a bike...lets say a 2001...has a 28/10 drive train on it...what would that be classified as?

I call it mid school with new school flair...im not much for the whole "school" thing, I just ride cool

I do see your point with the new school and beyond...Id just leave it to whoever names this crap

#39 2012-09-04 7:20pm

kegger
Pro Memberbarbarian by blood, pirate by choice
Bikes: 9
Website

perront wrote:

I vote for "Early Precambrian Period".

im for the late wisconsin glacial period .
      period
roll

A WISE MAN ONCE SAID.........   NOTHING...

HE LET HER VENT, THEN THEY WENT UPSTAIRS AND HAD SEX

Power is Nothing Without Control

#40 2012-09-04 7:23pm

BMX-Wing
Aaron O.
Bikes: 23

The school thing is played out.
Like I said, every year it changes. What is mid today, is old tomorrow.
30t is still modern. I think alot of dirt guys roll 30t drivers.
GL with the thread, it can get bad fast.

#41 2012-09-04 7:33pm

FatGuy
Pro MemberNot Big Boned
Website

Wait, I wash?

FatGuy

#42 2012-09-04 7:35pm

RDB
Pro Member

FatGuy wrote:

Wait, I wash?

I call BS!

lol

if someone says "pics or it didnt happen" , I am done on this site forever neutral

yikes lol

#43 2012-09-04 7:38pm

bmxerpete
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

Nychus, you are absolutely right man. ALL the new school bikes are EXACTLY the same. There are no real diferences between them. They all ride exactly the same, they all jump the same, they all manual the same. It's a big conspiracy by all the bike manufacturers and they have us all fooled. THANK YOU so much for pointing this out to us, you have saved bmx.

#44 2012-09-04 7:43pm

RDB
Pro Member

bmxerpete wrote:

Nychus, you are absolutely right man. ALL the new school bikes are EXACTLY the same. There are no real diferences between them. They all ride exactly the same, they all jump the same, they all manual the same. It's a big conspiracy by all the bike manufacturers and they have us all fooled. THANK YOU so much for pointing this out to us, you have saved bmx.

well in that case...I am gonna go to Walmart and get a new ride...since they are all the same!

<-----------------WINNING lol

#45 2012-09-04 7:49pm

bmxgrimreaper
Evel Kinevel

Nychus wrote:

After a rant, and fielding the ensuing backlash, in a new school bike thread. Things as preposterous as not understanding that BMX is a sport, being closed minded, and being a bike hater was thrown in my face. 100% misunderstandings. Though, I did say some caustic things about the Goth/Emo/Grunge skinny jean wearing riders I see moping around the city bike shop, not all of what I got was unfounded. tongue  This blog, is about bike cataloging. Right? The last time I checked there was no mechanism (other than the forums) here to log and track events, tricks (old or new) or celebrate new and old BMX athletes. It's about BIKES. If it is not then fine. Stop reading. Because I am talking about the machine, not the sport, not the rider, not the tricks. I am talking about a bike.

There is a new trend. A paradigm shift.
A 2003 GT that I posted in a New School Thread, was flamed as not qualifying as new school. Due to a 33T sprocket and rear drop outs that were a whopping, 62mm long. (2.5 inches). And had a final weight with 4 cromo pegs of 30 lbs. Something I thought was AWESOME!

But "how is this?" you say. New School is 2000 to present. WRONG. Only wrong because not up to the present.

I am proposing an era of bikes called "Dark School".  It is the current crop of bmx bikes being sold since in and around 2009. You know the ones,  They look like the same bike with different paint and decals. Yet are ferociously defended as unique for their subtle weight differences and geometry. Things that could only be measured in 10ths of degrees, grams of weight, and millimeters of lengths. I am not hating on these bikes. I own a couple. But I also don't have broken eyes, and can swing a ruler, protractor and scale.  If it quacks it's a duck people. The red image below is not a Photoshop trick. It is 5 bikes, from 5 different companies all staked on top of themselves. I used the bottom of the steer tube to register and each bike is set to 20% opacity.  Hard to defend that once built into riders with the same bars and forks, they are nothing more different than a Toyota Matrix and a Pontiac Vibe.

http://www.hyper-activemedia.com/fright … e_Exam.jpg

So... the cusp. I argue 2008 was the last definitive year for New School.
here is an example of an era change.

The 2008 Kink Gap. It has a 13t freewheel, a 33t sprocket, and un-tapered forks. 26.75 lbs. (with out pegs)  Making it "disqualified" as a new school ride according to the "authorities" in the "dark side new school" thread. On the plus side, the bike is 100% Chromoly.

The 2009 Kink Gap. Undeniably Dark School.  9t rear driver, 25t front sprocket. tapered forks, and about 1.25 lbs LESS steel (99% from thinner side walled tubing) because it has 99.9% the same geometry. and the 2009 has a mix of hiten steel as well as chromo.  So much for hiten being heavier- yes it's a myth. look it up. (remember when that was called tri-moly?)  That geometry being 75deg steer tube, 71 deg seat tube, and 20.5" TT.

So, if one is new school, and the other is not.  The one that is NOT is the 2009 Gap.  Because new school era bikes are any bike after the end of mid school- 2000 and later.  I argue that mid ended when Dyno died in 2001. But that's another thread.

The logic is simple.
If a there is a requirement out there,  a spec that is used to discern what is a modern bike, it is NOT what is generally considered era accurate for preexisting New School bikes that are WAY more prolific. Since 2000-2008 is a markedly longer period than than last 3 years, and already in an era class called "New School"-  the 2009 and present era is NOT new school any longer.

I propose Dark School. It has been referred to as "the dark side" or crossing over to the "dark side" of bmx when older riders start riding them.  I think that is a very accurate monicker. Or at least another Star Wars reference is in order. Attack of the Clones. smile

Good points, But, back to old -new, Not the bike, but the guy riding it.  (all bmx)

#46 2012-09-04 8:23pm

Burning River
Banned

I like turtles.

And then you say goddamn they ruthless

#47 2012-09-04 8:25pm

bmxgrimreaper
Evel Kinevel

Burning River wrote:

I like turtles.

What do you think about cheeze burgers without the cheeze? LOL

#48 2012-09-04 8:26pm

BMX-Wing
Aaron O.

Ninja Turtles

#49 2012-09-04 8:26pm

bmxgrimreaper
Evel Kinevel

Nychus wrote:

After a rant, and fielding the ensuing backlash, in a new school bike thread. Things as preposterous as not understanding that BMX is a sport, being closed minded, and being a bike hater was thrown in my face. 100% misunderstandings. Though, I did say some caustic things about the Goth/Emo/Grunge skinny jean wearing riders I see moping around the city bike shop, not all of what I got was unfounded. tongue  This blog, is about bike cataloging. Right? The last time I checked there was no mechanism (other than the forums) here to log and track events, tricks (old or new) or celebrate new and old BMX athletes. It's about BIKES. If it is not then fine. Stop reading. Because I am talking about the machine, not the sport, not the rider, not the tricks. I am talking about a bike.

There is a new trend. A paradigm shift.
A 2003 GT that I posted in a New School Thread, was flamed as not qualifying as new school. Due to a 33T sprocket and rear drop outs that were a whopping, 62mm long. (2.5 inches). And had a final weight with 4 cromo pegs of 30 lbs. Something I thought was AWESOME!

But "how is this?" you say. New School is 2000 to present. WRONG. Only wrong because not up to the present.

I am proposing an era of bikes called "Dark School".  It is the current crop of bmx bikes being sold since in and around 2009. You know the ones,  They look like the same bike with different paint and decals. Yet are ferociously defended as unique for their subtle weight differences and geometry. Things that could only be measured in 10ths of degrees, grams of weight, and millimeters of lengths. I am not hating on these bikes. I own a couple. But I also don't have broken eyes, and can swing a ruler, protractor and scale.  If it quacks it's a duck people. The red image below is not a Photoshop trick. It is 5 bikes, from 5 different companies all staked on top of themselves. I used the bottom of the steer tube to register and each bike is set to 20% opacity.  Hard to defend that once built into riders with the same bars and forks, they are nothing more different than a Toyota Matrix and a Pontiac Vibe.

http://www.hyper-activemedia.com/fright … e_Exam.jpg

So... the cusp. I argue 2008 was the last definitive year for New School.
here is an example of an era change.

The 2008 Kink Gap. It has a 13t freewheel, a 33t sprocket, and un-tapered forks. 26.75 lbs. (with out pegs)  Making it "disqualified" as a new school ride according to the "authorities" in the "dark side new school" thread. On the plus side, the bike is 100% Chromoly.

The 2009 Kink Gap. Undeniably Dark School.  9t rear driver, 25t front sprocket. tapered forks, and about 1.25 lbs LESS steel (99% from thinner side walled tubing) because it has 99.9% the same geometry. and the 2009 has a mix of hiten steel as well as chromo.  So much for hiten being heavier- yes it's a myth. look it up. (remember when that was called tri-moly?)  That geometry being 75deg steer tube, 71 deg seat tube, and 20.5" TT.

So, if one is new school, and the other is not.  The one that is NOT is the 2009 Gap.  Because new school era bikes are any bike after the end of mid school- 2000 and later.  I argue that mid ended when Dyno died in 2001. But that's another thread.

The logic is simple.
If a there is a requirement out there,  a spec that is used to discern what is a modern bike, it is NOT what is generally considered era accurate for preexisting New School bikes that are WAY more prolific. Since 2000-2008 is a markedly longer period than than last 3 years, and already in an era class called "New School"-  the 2009 and present era is NOT new school any longer.

I propose Dark School. It has been referred to as "the dark side" or crossing over to the "dark side" of bmx when older riders start riding them.  I think that is a very accurate monicker. Or at least another Star Wars reference is in order. Attack of the Clones. smile

That's kool, All about what your into.

#50 2012-09-04 8:28pm

BMX-Wing
Aaron O.

bmxgrimreaper wrote:

Burning River wrote:

I like turtles.

What do you think about cheeze burgers without the cheeze? LOL

Then Its just a burger

Board footer