You are not logged in.

Hutch Trick star Japanse Made that sold on Ebay last night  RSS Feed

#1 2012-09-03 6:40am

EthanBoyle
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

Hutch Trick star Japanse Made that sold on Ebay last night

Hi, I'm Ethan, and this is my first post (new thread) on these forums. I have not had anything to do with bmx for 25 years until this year because of my son's interest in it. So on to the Hutch Trick Star story...

When I first saw it 4 days ago on ebay, I thought wow, it's been over 25 years since I've owned a Trick Star or had even done any kind of riding at all. Even without the fork, and even though it has a crack at the seat post clamp... and the finish is in horrible shape, I put a bid in on it. I was immediately out bid, so I bid again, and was immediately out bid again, so after doing that about six times I let it be and just watched it. I've never bought anything on ebay before, so I'm uneducated to how it works.

3 1/2 days go by and I'm checking on it, the price has gone up a little but not much, up $7.50. I see some Profile cranks that are minutes from the end of their bid, I'm interested because I would want some for my Hutch that I think I'm going to win, but they have the wrong bottom bracket, I watch nonetheless. The Profile cranks were at $43 for the whole time I saw them on ebay, but in the last 40 seconds the price just went up and up and up to a final price of $61.

I see a pattern here, I don't know how it works but there appears to be some automagic technology related to the 'your highest bid' amount. I think I will plan for it buy waiting until near the end of the bid and then throw in what I would really be willing to spend on it. At this point, 40 seconds before the end of the bid, it's at $195.00 so I throw in $235, and I get out bid at the last second by $2.50. That was pretty numbing, I really though I was going to be starting a Hutch Trick Star build next week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0757353770

Ethan Boyle
Old School flatland '84-88' era, Ventura, Ca.
Hutch Trick Star rider and Woody Itson fan.

#2 2012-09-03 6:46am

EthanBoyle
Pro Member

Re: Hutch Trick star Japanse Made that sold on Ebay last night

I just looked at the page and it says this:

"Sorry, you were outbid. This item sold for US $237.50"
"Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown. Automatic bids may be placed days or hours before a listing ends. Learn more about bidding"

Time to learn about bidding so I clicked on the "Learn more about bidding" . They have something called "One click bidding" I'll quote it directly instead of paraphrasing without a full understand of it yet:

"Using 1-click bidding

To help you avoid being outbid, we offer 1-click bidding during the final 60 minutes of a listing. When you use 1-click bidding, we automatically raise your bid by one increment. To use 1-click bidding, you need to be signed in to eBay and have at least one previous bid on the item."

Looks like I was just out bid by one click... by someone who was waiting up late like I was...  drats!!! Well, lesson learned.

Last edited by EthanBoyle (2012-09-03 6:53am)

Ethan Boyle

#3 2012-09-03 6:55am

L.
Pro Memberfanofbmx

Save your time and energy and stay away from e-bay as much as possible/feasible and wait to buy a frame and fork on the museum. Moreover, it is in your best interest to buy the frame and fork as a set versus one-offs - usually more cost effective this way. Just some food for thought.

Additionally, if you know you will buy a TS for sure, start collecting the parts. Granted if one is not sold as a complete bike.

Last edited by fanofbmx (2012-09-03 6:57am)

There is a difference between fair market value and what one person will pay for an item.
Don't Need Anything Right Now...........Besides a World Renowned Psychologist

#4 2012-09-03 6:57am

troynlori
Moderator"Pedal Peddler"
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 122

It's called sniping software.  I went through exactly your story (kid interested in bikes, started looking, trying to buy parts).  We had a Hutch Pro Racer f/f.  I figured for another $100 I'd get all the rest of the cool old parts and be back in business.  Showed up on Ebay and constantly watched things triple in the last few seconds.  For get it.  Don't sit there and watch it - my advice at least. 

Collecting, especially what you want, is a task.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#5 2012-09-03 6:58am

mxfan69
Pro MemberCalm, Cool, and Collected

Welcome to the world we call e-pray or evil-bay.

I've won some good things off there over the years, I've got sucked into bidding wars and over paid on items because I was "caught up in the moment". I also have used it for checking rough and I do mean rough market value. You are better off here and more likely to end up with a real Trick Star and probably in better shape. E-bay can piss ya off for sure on the last minute out bids but ya just got to let it go, you put in what the most you're willing to spend and let it be, if ya win ya win if ya loose ya loose, another "whatever" will come up again. Do your research and don't impulse buy or let emotions run the show.

Good luck and again, you're much safer doing your transactions here and welcome to the show.

mmmm........loop tails.......

...and that's all I have to say about that...

#6 2012-09-03 6:59am

quick2
Pro MemberPaul thinks he's Schwinning but I already Schwonn
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 10

my first bit of advice for you: "SLOW DOWN!"
take your time, be patient and you will have LESS regrets later  wink
almost all bidding on ebay happens in the last few seconds of the auction, think of the first few days of the listing as an advertisement. 
if you are outbid by $2.50, that's only because that was the smallest bid increment, the winning bidder may have bid $1000
if you want to build a trick star (and who wouldn't), figure out what parts you REALLY want before buying them, or you'll end up with midschool profile cranks or some other part that you will later find out don't really fit what you wanted.
Furthermore, be VERY careful about buying any frame without forks, ESPECIALLY a HUTCH Trick star!!!!  you will spend half of what life you have left trying to find a pair of forks for it, and half of your 401k to buy them.  There are plenty of Trick stars out there, so unless you're getting a huge bargain on a frame, I wouldn't do it
Finally, welcome to the Museum and welcome back to BMX!!  We're glad to have you here. 
This site is a great community and filled with wonderful people big_smile

Remember....if everyone came to a bike show without a bike, it would just be a bunch of dudes standing around in a park...and that's just creepy!  If you've got one, bring one.  -Me
If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than you are now..  -Master Shifu
*LOOKING FOR GREEN SKYWAY MAGS* A NOS REAR, OR A  NEAR MINT CONDITION PAIR [img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/39961/greenskywaysmall5d0d542f49.jpg[/img]

#7 2012-09-03 7:33am

RadDad
Intermediate
Bikes: 1

Theres alot of good folks on here with a genuine love for the hobby. Post up your dreams in the want to buy category and watch your inbox explode. Have Fun and get ready for the ride!

#8 2012-09-03 7:33am

EthanBoyle
Pro Member

Thank you all of you for your support.

I didn't mind that it didn't have forks, I want to build a rider. I've already snapped two stems this summer and my third is bent now, so I was just going to do new school threadless forks, maybe zero offset like my kids. I hope that doesn't sound like blasphemy to any of you all, but I want to ride it and I need something strong up front.

Anyway, I'll keep looking. Thanks again everyone.

Ethan Boyle

#9 2012-09-03 7:34am

EthanBoyle
Pro Member

RadDad wrote:

Theres alot of good folks on here with a genuine love for the hobby. Post up your dreams in the want to buy category and watch your inbox explode. Have Fun and get ready for the ride!

Think I'll do that right now. Thanks.

Ethan Boyle

#10 2012-09-03 7:36am

makaveli502
Museum Addict

fanofbmx wrote:

Save your time and energy and stay away from e-bay as much as possible/feasible and wait to buy a frame and fork on the museum. Moreover, it is in your best interest to buy the frame and fork as a set versus one-offs - usually more cost effective this way. Just some food for thought.

Additionally, if you know you will buy a TS for sure, start collecting the parts. Granted if one is not sold as a complete bike.

Im sure most ppl who sell things here on the museum would want you to buy here and not off ebay.  Ive bought most all my frames off ebay, I get some parts here on the museum.  On ebay you can catch ppl who dont know what they have, unlike here ppl know what they got and whats its worth.  Ive got a complete haro group 1 for about 60, i just got a mongoose m1 frame fork, back brake and rotor  for 60 , ive got a mongoose decade frame fork bars stem brakes, seat post, seat and clamp for a little over 100 , so in my opinion ive got the best deals off ebay, from ppl who prob dont know what they have. Now some items will be bid up in price but you can find deals as I have found lots of deals on ebay.  Ive got a couple deals here on the museum.

#11 2012-09-03 7:42am

bamboostk86
Intermediate
Bikes: 10

fanofbmx wrote:

im sorry but this is ridiculous!! stay away from ebay what kind of advice is that, its where your gna find alot of hard to find pieces, better to just educate urself on how to bid and educate urself on what the parts r worth. knoledge is the key in life and buyer beware

catalog bikes bore me....mash it up mon

#12 2012-09-03 7:43am

anthom022
Intermediate
Bikes: 9

All the members here offer great advice. Take your time and shop around. Make sure you know what you want...I started buying every p.o.s. part when I started because I was worried I might miss out and not see another piece...so I bought every junk part I could...You get what you pay for...so dont settle for junk, unless you can restore the piece. Be selective on your purchases, and stick to what you want, and what you can spend. Can't tell you how many bid wars I got into to secure that special piece, that was realy not so special after research. Pissed away alot of cash on the evil bay....also got some rare pieces...just set a price your willing to spend on it...and stick with it. Craiglist can be a good place to find bikes also...just don't ever purchase anything outside of Paypal. Lots of scammers out there, and Paypal can help protect you from a sketchy purchase. I have learned much just paying attention to the fellows here on the museum, so stick around, your bound to learn a little something about collecting old school bmx bikes. It is the most awesome hobby in the universe!!!!! There are alot of scammers out there, but there are more collectors out there who will not steer you in the wrong direction...so use the museum if you have questions...The knowledge on this site is unlimited and most members are more than happy to help another collector with questions. I think about 99% of the members on here are legit....just check there feed back. Also with TStars....to me, all Hutchs are great...but some only want American made TStars...watch for the longer pegs on the forks to identify American made TS. It is def cheaper to find a complete F/F set together than individualy, or try to score a complete...costs more up front..but will save a fortune over buying all the components seperatly. Welcome to the museum!

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving
  Albert Einstein

#13 2012-09-03 8:32am

troynlori
Moderator"Pedal Peddler"
For Sale: 122

makaveli502 wrote:

fanofbmx wrote:

Im sure most ppl who sell things here on the museum would want you to buy here and not off ebay.  Ive bought most all my frames off ebay, I get some parts here on the museum.  On ebay you can catch ppl who dont know what they have, unlike here ppl know what they got and whats its worth.  Ive got a complete haro group 1 for about 60, i just got a mongoose m1 frame fork, back brake and rotor  for 60 , ive got a mongoose decade frame fork bars stem brakes, seat post, seat and clamp for a little over 100 , so in my opinion ive got the best deals off ebay, from ppl who prob dont know what they have. Now some items will be bid up in price but you can find deals as I have found lots of deals on ebay.  Ive got a couple deals here on the museum.

I don't care where he buys, but he should be prepared to see all prices spike in the last few seconds.  Don't have your hopes up because you've made it through 6 days, 23 hours, 58 minutes and your Trickstar is still only @ $8.  Only once did I find a situation on Ebay where neither the seller, nor the other bidders realized what it was.  It was labelled as a run of the mill '90's GT, but in truth it was an '83 GT Expert with GT Pro bars and a few other pieces.  I was the only bidder.  It was funny too, because after I won it, I told the seller what it was and asked if they wanted to keep their family heirloom.  I was accused of trying to back out and promptly paid.  I also saw a Hutch 24XL that sold in a minute (fully loaded, BIN $800).

Here, sellers do know better.  Only once I saw a mistake...Hutch Aerospeed cranks, sold for $175.  I guess they forgot the 0 on the end.

If you want a real chance of catching sellers not knowing what they have, got to craigslist, but be prepared for a mad scramble.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#14 2012-09-03 9:25am

EthanBoyle
Pro Member

For the record, I know exactly what I want. It will be a rider, I do not want a show bike.

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=450232 <--- This would be extremely close to what I would want, I would only change the seat and maybe the bars. I would prefer Japanese made, actually, but I wont be picky.

My wtb post that I made today ---> http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=450997

Thank you everyone for your time and advice and all.

Last edited by EthanBoyle (2012-09-03 9:37am)

Ethan Boyle

#15 2012-09-03 9:40am

Hutchgal
Bikes: 7

Good luck Ethan!  I might be your long lost twin sister on this forum (also haven't done anything w/ freestyle for the last 25 years and then just got biten by the bug), my bike BITD was a Trick star and I'm looking to rebuild one up to ride along w/ my kiddos.  I bought one complete off of ebay and I probably paid more than it was worth.  What people said on this thread is all good advice.  "ryanmason208" was selling a Japanese F/F - not sure if it's still available.  A few weeks ago a F/F sold for under $300 but it needed to be repowdered.

To all of the seasoned people on this forum, any advice for purchasing parts?  If I see what I want, should I buy it regardless of the color and just plan to have it repowdered, or should I be patient and wait for the exact color I'm looking for?  Like Ethan, I'm going to ride the bike, so it doesn't need to be minty minty.

Don't do tomorrow what you can do today.

84-87 Freestyler.  Building up my childhood bike ('85 Hutch Trickstar) and one I always wanted ('85 Haro Master).

#16 2012-09-03 9:59am

L.
Pro Memberfanofbmx

Hutchgal wrote:

To all of the seasoned people on this forum, any advice for purchasing parts?  If I see what I want, should I buy it regardless of the color and just plan to have it repowdered, or should I be patient and wait for the exact color I'm looking for?  Like Ethan, I'm going to ride the bike, so it doesn't need to be minty minty.

If coulour is the only determent, go ahead and get it. But keep in mind the added cost to get it the way you want. You should only get it if the price is right, regardless of how badly you want it.

Last edited by fanofbmx (2012-09-03 1:25pm)

There is a difference between fair market value and what one person will pay for an item.
Don't Need Anything Right Now...........Besides a World Renowned Psychologist

#17 2012-09-03 10:06am

BMX_DNA
Pro Member
Website

RadDad wrote:

Theres a lot of good folks on here with a genuine love for the hobby. Post up your dreams in the want to buy category and watch your inbox explode. Have Fun and get ready for the ride!

Some of the best advice I've seen on this site!

WANTED:
General Bicycles Jersey, Excellent Condition, Adult L or XL

#18 2012-09-03 10:35am

scarfish
Say no to AIDS

yeah, the WTB section has gotten me everything i needed so far that i couldn't find in the 2 FS sections.

#19 2012-09-03 10:37am

scarfish
Say no to AIDS

might not get a rare item. i stay away from rare items. it's rare for a turd to come out when i fart but i wouldn't pay $3000 for it.

#20 2012-09-03 10:37am

hoodybandit
Pro Member
Website

piss on color for rider its not important half of what you see is multi-colored anyway

#21 2012-09-03 11:06am

EthanBoyle
Pro Member

Hutchgal wrote:

Good luck Ethan!  I might be your long lost twin sister on this forum (also haven't done anything w/ freestyle for the last 25 years and then just got biten by the bug), my bike BITD was a Trick star and I'm looking to rebuild one up to ride along w/ my kiddos.  I bought one complete off of ebay and I probably paid more than it was worth.  What people said on this thread is all good advice.  "ryanmason208" was selling a Japanese F/F - not sure if it's still available.  A few weeks ago a F/F sold for under $300 but it needed to be repowdered.

Right on, I hope you find something awesome! And like you, I don't need mint, heck, I don't even want mint.

Ethan Boyle

#22 2012-09-03 11:09am

EthanBoyle
Pro Member

fanofbmx wrote:

Hutchgal wrote:

If coulour is the only determent, go ahead and get it. But keep in mind the added cost to get it the want you want. You should only get it if the price is right, regardless of how badly you want it.

Yeah, the price needs to be right for me. If the frame is chrome it needs to not have cracks, if it's painted then I don't care because I can fix it and have it refinished and get a sticker kit.

Ethan Boyle

#23 2012-09-03 4:36pm

freestyl
Centurion Member

Hey Ethan, good luck on your project.  I'm currently working on building up a new Trick Star to ride myself.  Just be patient and you will eventually find what your looking for.  There are lots of great people here at the museum that can help you find some of those HTF parts for your build as well.

#24 2012-09-03 4:47pm

bmxrider32
Freakin Hilarious!
Bikes: 3

when i started buying on ebay a few years ago i felt the same way you did. here as of the past couple of years ive bought pretty much everything ive wanted so far maybe losing out on one er 2 because of something i wanted mmore, lol.
it can get addicting for sure when you start winning auctions. you just gotta keep an eye on it until the last possible minute then get ready to place your bid and go in at the last few seconds, least thats how i do it . i  look at the going bid depending on what it is ive already researched what they are going for and i trey and stay around that.

Almost have all the parts for the CW mini! smile
Next will be the ELF mini...
Then onto a 92 ELF ZR1

#25 2012-09-03 5:02pm

kilrgt
Pro MemberFreestyle, there is no substitute

It does suck when you miss out on something, I know the feeling all to well. What i do with ebay is simple, my first bid is my last bud, I enter the most im willing to pay for it, if i win it..great, if not then it wasn't meant to be. The WTB section is great, iv found almost everything iv ever needed or at least got some contacts to what i needed.

When it comes to the rarer stuff, the networking really pays off... Good luck and Im sure you will find what you want!

Board footer

View Cart →