You are not logged in.

A'Herns Schwinn - Green Sting  RSS Feed

#1 2012-07-19 6:48pm

ibisboy1
Intermediate
Bikes: 1
Website

A'Herns Schwinn - Green Sting

Anyone have any pics of the green Stings that the A'Herns Schwinn riders used?  I have heard about the shop (it is in Lyons Il) and the fact that they rode green Schwinn Stings however, I have never seen one. 

Looking to add the information to the stingbmx.com website.

Thanks for any help.

Like Schwinn Stings? - here's a great reference site:

stingbmx.com

#2 2012-07-20 5:15pm

srootster
Expert

Re: A'Herns Schwinn - Green Sting

i've looked everywhere!!!

#3 2012-07-21 7:32am

Nevets
Intermediate

Tried a little dectective work:

I called Knight's Truck Painting today (see info below from another post I made), who is still in business and painted the green Stings for A'Herns back in the day. I spoke with the owner's wife and said they were the owners back when the bikes would have been painted. She worked there since 1981, but her husband was there prior to 1979 and would have been involved with painting the frames. Unfortunately, he passed away and there aren't any pictures of the painted frames in their records. The owner's wife said that Knight's started to take pictures for photo albums of their work as a norm in 1981. They did take pictures before, but not as religiously. She has an album of miscellaneous work, but it did not have any pictures of the green Stings in there. She was a very gracious person who tried to help and wished us well on the search to find a green Sting or a picture of one. I guess we have to hope an A'Herns BMX team member joins the forum and still has his (or her) green Sting or pictures of it.

Below is the post mentioning Knight's Truck Painting's involvemnet in paint in these frames as well as the name of a possible rider on the team that might have raced a green Sting (John Lebak).

I found some information on the green Stings. On the Vintage BMX site, there was an old post that mentioned the Stings for A'Herns were painted green by Knight's truck painting on Plainfield in Lyons.  Knights was right behind A'Herns. The post also mentioned a rider, John Lebak, who raced for A'Herns. It would be cool to see some old pictures of these green Stings. Anyone know John Lebak?

Now where did they get the green anodized parts from is the next mystery...

I hope its OK to post this link for some Sting history:

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/ind … &st=90

Nevets

Last edited by Nevets (2012-10-05 3:10pm)

#4 2012-07-21 8:16am

BlackSaturday
Pro Member
Bikes: 28
For Sale: 1

I found a vintage AHerns Tshirt the other day cool link thanks now I know.

#5 2012-07-21 8:21am

srootster
Expert

i think i found John Lebak on Facebook. he apparently has a "bike addiction" so i'm hoping he's the guy. i sent him a message pertaining to our pursuit.

#6 2012-07-21 8:23am

srootster
Expert

it's gotta be the right guy. he graduated from St. Rita's in Illinois and has a serious bike interest. lol

#7 2012-07-21 7:25pm

Nevets
Intermediate

Excellent work!! He jumped on the other BMX forum so hopefully he can join here. It would be amazing if he still has a green Sting and his green racing leathers! Keep us posted and hopefully he'll friend you on Facebook.

Last edited by Nevets (2012-10-05 3:11pm)

#8 2012-07-21 10:15pm

paolooch
Intermediate
Bikes: 4

just talking about this at Rockford today.  hope to see pics, great work on the research guys.

"And don't give me any of that local anesthetic, I want the good imported stuff!"

#9 2012-07-22 2:10am

Pure Desire
Centurion Member

wow. you aren't joking about what little information is there on these bikes. I haven't checked yet, but what about the site that has all the BMX Action and BMX Plus mags on PDF from 81? Are there any stories or ads there?

#10 2012-07-22 10:33am

srootster
Expert

good question! that would be a great place to look,

#11 2012-07-24 10:37am

Nevets
Intermediate

Any word/response from John Lebak?

#12 2012-07-24 3:20pm

srootster
Expert

not yet...

#13 2012-07-24 4:20pm

kwhite27
The Stinger!
Bikes: 1

Subscribing to another cool Sting thread.

"Sometimes, you just have to say What the F**k...make your move"  Joel Goodman in Risky Business

"I love Scotch...Scotch, Scotch, Scotch"  Ron Burgandy in Anchorman

#14 2012-07-25 9:53am

Nevets
Intermediate

Did anyone else try to reach out to John Lebak? Are there any former Schwinn team members that belong here that may know him or could use the "schwinn Team" connection as a hook to contact him?

I'm dying to see a picture of one of these green Stings!

#15 2012-07-26 6:07am

Nevets
Intermediate

I tried another avenue yesterday and came up empty... at least with Ahern's. I was searching in YouTube and came across a bunch of vintage BMX material. I actually found out there was a BMX race track about 15 minutes away from where I live now in Northern NJ (track was in Newfoundland, NJ).

Does anyone know thde names of the tracks that the Ahern's team raced at and roughly the years they raced. I want to try and search with a bit more ifo in the SEARCH function.

#16 2012-07-26 7:55am

MikeCarruth
VBMX V.I.P.

A'Hearns raced at:

North Riverside
Itasca
Elk Grove
Tinley Park

And a few smaller tracks that came and went pretty quick. 

I was a "hang-around" to that team, as we used to buy all our parts there.  Once day, Bob, the TM, tossed me a jersey and said "you might as well wear this."   Not a fanfare welcome, to be sure, but I was stoked to be on a team.   

My mom got me the green BW leathers that matched the jersey, and a pair of green & white Vans.

Nick Crudele was one of the kids on the team, though I'm not sure he had a green sting.  Nick passed away some years ago, but his sister (who was also on the team) is a Facebook friend of mine.  I'll ping her on this topic to see if she knows anything.

In my time there, I only saw two of those green Stings--one was the TM's  (Bob Kamarek, which I am surely spelling wrong), and the other, I think, belonged to the kid on the team who looked like Danny Bonaduce.

Richard (Dick) A'Hearn was the owner of the shop. 

Hope some of this helps put a puzzle piece in place.

Best,

M

#17 2012-07-26 8:04am

Nevets
Intermediate

Mike:

Thank you for the information! Any additional informtion that could put us one step closer is not only appreciated butr very intersting to read. Based on the information you provided, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Were there only two green Stings based on what you saw or were there other riders that might have had one as well?

Did Bob k (TM) race or was it more of a pit bike for him?

Do you know where the green anodized components came from?

Thanks again!

Nevets (Steve K.)

#18 2012-07-26 9:42am

TYLER DERDEN
Intermediate

The A'Hern's guys used to also race at the Odeum in Addison Il. during the winter.

#19 2012-07-26 12:24pm

ncmalko1
Pro Member
Bikes: 15

Im more excited to see green ano parts! THanks for doing all this research guys.

Let's go Philadelpha Eagles!

#20 2012-07-27 9:20am

MikeCarruth
VBMX V.I.P.

Nevets wrote:

Were there only two green Stings based on what you saw or were there other riders that might have had one as well?

Did Bob k (TM) race or was it more of a pit bike for him?

Do you know where the green anodized components came from?

Those were the only two that I saw.  But I was only 13 or 14, and the Sting wasn't my thing (I was in to SE and Redline), so there could have been a warehouse full of them in the back, and I may not have noticed. 

Bob K was a racer, probably about 18 or 19 at the time, and worked in the shop. 

I heard a story about how, at the national Schwinn Dealer Conference, Dick A'Hearn and some of the team riders presented Rick Schwinn with a case of Heineken and one of those Stings--all things green.

I did not remember green components on those bike.  If I remember correctly, Bob K's bike had polished Hi-Flange Campy hubs (but may have had green rims, come to think of it).

More to come, as it develops.

Best,

M

#21 2012-07-27 10:36am

Nevets
Intermediate

This just keeps getting better and better! Amazing history unfolding here. Can't wait to hear more. Thanks Mike!

#22 2012-07-28 3:55pm

Nevets
Intermediate

Just an update - No luck searching on YouTube for videos of racing at the tracking listed above.

#23 2012-08-01 6:32am

Nevets
Intermediate

Still trying to turn over stones for more info on these green Stings...

A couple more questions for Mike Carruth:

Any word from Nick Crudele's sister from trying to reach her on Facebook?

Any chance the name of the kid that looked like Danny Bonaduce came to mind or do you know someone who may know his name? (want to try to search facebook or the web for him)

Did you know John Lebak BITD?

I also sent you an email.

A question for srootster:

Any word from trying to reach John Lebak through Facebook?

#24 2012-08-01 7:41am

srootster
Expert

no reply back. i know he's seen my message because he's posted on FB since.

#25 2012-08-01 7:44am

Nevets
Intermediate

Thanks. I'll try to reach him.

Board footer

View Cart →