You are not logged in.

Bunnyhops... Your favorite pics or stories about stuff you hopped over  RSS Feed

#101 2019-02-27 8:52am

El Gecko
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

Re: Bunnyhops... Your favorite pics or stories about stuff you hopped over

1979 wrote:

After my local track closed a few friends and I made our own course through town street racing. Part of it was bunnyhopping the medians with trees through the Kmart parking lot if you remember them. They must have added more dirt one day because we all had problems clearing it. One friend broke both his wrists trying to stop himself from hitting the ground,  another  lost a knee cap when he landed on it. Ambulance was called. I only pissed blood for 2 weeks when my rear tire clipped the extra mound and slammed the seat into my junk. Not my best bunnyhopping but luckily have 3 kids now lol

Yep I got a story like that too.  Trying to clear a ~6' wide parking lot median bitd with a little 5-6" curb on it, no mound so pretty flat in the middle.  Pedal pedal pedal for top speed, then just clipped the top of the curb with the back tire on the way up, got all crossed up with no way to land it so I kinda threw the bike and slid for 30ft or so on my side once I hit the pavement.  Luckily just scrapes and bruises that time.

Bunny hops are still my favorite trick though, it's what makes "riding BMX" to me--getting air.  Whether you're doing it yourself or with the help of a ramp it's all good big_smile

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#102 2019-02-27 4:20pm

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$
Bikes: 6

Ok, this isn't a hopped over story. When I was a kid I tried to convince a friend that he could jump a pretty big ditch. Bunch of us were doing it, they had just dug up the ground to install corrugated drain pipe so we had a good amount of dirt piled up along this big trench.... Need I say more?...lol

So I convince my friend he can do it, I told him ride as fast as you can and jump that ditch! So he's off pedaling full force sitting down on the bike heading towards the jump and I just watch him ride up the hill, sitting down on the bike still, and roll right over the top face first into the ditch which had some nastiness in it. He never stood up on the pedals or pulled up at all. He just rode right over and into it, sitting on the seat, pedaling away.
He was crying hysterically asking me why I made him do that, bleeding, all wrapped up in the bike...
I felt terrible. He sent me death threats later in life after he moved away. neutral

Last edited by Shazambmx (2019-02-27 5:37pm)

Mikey.... Good Gorilla....... King Of The Concrete Jungle........ Local 18A.... NYC.

#103 2019-02-27 5:21pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!
Bikes: 2

When I was 15 I was riding with my nephew at his house. He was 13 at the time and had an 88 GT Vertigo ST. He lived on a back road and the only place we could ride flatland was on the road. Not many cars came through and we were in a straight stretch so we could see cars coming and get out of the way. Any way, we were going to do some bunny hops and I think we sat a box of dominoes in the road. I bunnyhopped it no problem. A box of dominoes might only be, what, 10" high? My nephew was not the most coordinated, so he pedals, bunnyhops, but gets sideways on his hop, wrecks on the landing in the road. Tears his knee all up. Backroad paving is pretty rough. I had to end up staying the night to help him out because he had a hard time getting up and moving around lol. I think he had problems with that knee from that point on.

Here's a funny jumping story. I took my small launch ramp and landing to the local high school one day, and my friends met me there to ride. The ramps were just shy of 2' tall. There was this kid, who was 9 or 10, that we let ride with us. I was always trying to get these kids involved in riding. He was riding my old department store bike that I had fixed up for him. He wanted to jump the ramp but he was so scared and stressing so bad. This kid had ADHD and was very spastic. We were trying to get him to jump it...because he wanted to do it, not because we wanted to see him get hurt or anything. So my friend and I told him we would stand on each side of the landing and if anything went wrong we would do our best to save him by keeping him from going OTB or whatever else might happen. He kept doing a run-up so we'd keep our attention on him but he'd peel off and chicken out. He kept doing this over and over. So he takes off this one time but he didn't get our attention this time before going; my friend and I were talking, the kid hits the ramp, lands on the top tube, and runs it out with the bike. He jumps off the bike holding his nuts and running around like a maniac, tears in his eyes, red face, mouth open with no sound coming out at first and then starts screaming. My friend starts laughing so hard he can't breathe. I don't know who had more tears coming out, the kid or my friend. lol

#104 2019-02-27 5:32pm

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$
Bikes: 6

El Gecko wrote:

1979 wrote:

After my local track closed a few friends and I made our own course through town street racing. Part of it was bunnyhopping the medians with trees through the Kmart parking lot if you remember them. They must have added more dirt one day because we all had problems clearing it. One friend broke both his wrists trying to stop himself from hitting the ground,  another  lost a knee cap when he landed on it. Ambulance was called. I only pissed blood for 2 weeks when my rear tire clipped the extra mound and slammed the seat into my junk. Not my best bunnyhopping but luckily have 3 kids now lol

Yep I got a story like that too.  Trying to clear a ~6' wide parking lot median bitd with a little 5-6" curb on it, no mound so pretty flat in the middle.  Pedal pedal pedal for top speed, then just clipped the top of the curb with the back tire on the way up, got all crossed up with no way to land it so I kinda threw the bike and slid for 30ft or so on my side once I hit the pavement.  Luckily just scrapes and bruises that time.

Bunny hops are still my favorite trick though, it's what makes "riding BMX" to me--getting air.  Whether you're doing it yourself or with the help of a ramp it's all good big_smile

Hell yeah! Its all about getting air! Just watching the ground getting further away!.....big_smile.....Flying!

Last edited by Shazambmx (2019-02-27 5:34pm)

Mikey.... Good Gorilla....... King Of The Concrete Jungle........ Local 18A.... NYC.

#105 2019-02-28 7:45pm

Pro Member
Bikes: 2

Shazambmx wrote:

El Gecko wrote:

1979 wrote:

Hell yeah! Its all about getting air! Just watching the ground getting further away!.....big_smile.....Flying!

Or the ground getting closer to your face lol. All depends hmm

It's yours. Do what you want with it smile Planting seeds is better then tearing up trees.

#106 2019-03-01 7:50am

Ralph Wiggum
Pro Memberchillywilly263 1%er
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 1

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ww6yxEE0ADI/maxresdefault.jpg
*Not me*

Last edited by chillywilly263 (2019-03-01 8:15am)

I’m not a real doctor but I am a real worm

#107 2019-03-01 8:48am

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

cool thread

Increase the Peace

Board footer

View Cart →