You are not logged in.

Bob Haro new bike. What is this?

#451 2012-07-31 12:18am

badbill
Born Ruthless
Bikes: 6
Website

Re: Bob Haro new bike. What is this?

okay to make it better lose the color maybe paint it in matte black. the front end i guess is pretty durable but the turning radius can't be that good but oh well and the mags need a better design i'm not feeling the star maybe a 4-spoke tubular look like the carbon fiber spins but with 4 spokes instead of 3. the micro knobbies are alright. just the color, the mags and the part from the top of the fork to the top of the headset should be changed other than that its looks cool oh what's up with the angled seat post clamp i guess to reduce drag so why not no clamp at all and make in intergrated.

#452 2012-07-31 8:37am

Predator-Cromo
American Vintage Bicycle Supply
Bikes: 10
Website

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l258/GHS_Wired/BMX_Museum_2012/Haro_Ikonix.jpg

DON'T FORGET WE STILL HAVEN'T SEEN THE FREESTYLE VERSION...

Last edited by Predator-Cromo (2012-07-31 8:37am)

#453 2012-07-31 8:59am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 86

forty_three wrote:

five wrote:

Carbon is late to the party in BMX, welcome to the future.  Ugly or not, I bet this could be a game changer, or at least a spark to change.

Great point. I remember when the first shock absorber frame and fork came out for downhill mountain bikes. People went nuts. Now every single one has 'em. When things work, they get adopted.

I personally don't like the look of this particular one, but like I said, I would love to get a close up look at it and a spin on it. And the future bikes it's sure to inspire. Bob always has been an innovator, and we he talks, I listen. I don't have to agree, but I respect what he says.

lol late to the partty WTF are you smoking we have had them for some time!
lol even HUFFY had one!tongue
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/huffy/18876

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#454 2012-07-31 9:18am

Coco

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

True, but road bikes have been using carbon tubes since the 80's so yes, BMX is late to the party.

#455 2012-07-31 10:29am

five
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 1
Website

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

forty_three wrote:

five wrote:

Carbon is late to the party in BMX, welcome to the future.  Ugly or not, I bet this could be a game changer, or at least a spark to change.

Great point. I remember when the first shock absorber frame and fork came out for downhill mountain bikes. People went nuts. Now every single one has 'em. When things work, they get adopted.

I personally don't like the look of this particular one, but like I said, I would love to get a close up look at it and a spin on it. And the future bikes it's sure to inspire. Bob always has been an innovator, and we he talks, I listen. I don't have to agree, but I respect what he says.

You are truly that dumb...  how many do you see on the track einstein?  EVERY MTB race, and EVERY road race...  its ALL carbon.  How many BMX races do you see Carbon bikes?

THINK before you write.  I don't need your bold bullshit comments coming at me, when they are worthless.

Write something intellegent in your 10,000 posts, and maybe you'll get somewhere.

#456 2012-07-31 10:52am

FRESSTYLE FREEK

five wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

forty_three wrote:

You are truly that dumb...  how many do you see on the track einstein?  EVERY MTB race, and EVERY road race...  its ALL carbon.  How many BMX races do you see Carbon bikes?

THINK before you write.  I don't need your bold bullshit comments coming at me, when they are worthless.

Write something intellegent in your 10,000 posts, and maybe you'll get somewhere.

lol take a chill pill    I just meant this Carbonfiber bike is not all that wow it's ben done befor. they maid us wait all this time. for somthing claimed to be new and revalotinary to BMX. but this bike ant delivering that!hmm hell GT had one that looked almost just like this frame and fork 4 years ago.tongue  so the consept is not late to the party.

Last edited by FRESSTYLE FREEK (2012-07-31 10:55am)

#457 2012-07-31 12:15pm

Predator-Cromo
American Vintage Bicycle Supply
Bikes: 10
Website

Disk brakes people....disk.....brakes cool

#458 2012-07-31 12:17pm

forty_three
Museum Addict
Bikes: 4

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

lol take a chill pill    I just meant this Carbonfiber bike is not all that wow it's ben done befor. they maid us wait all this time. for somthing claimed to be new and revalotinary to BMX. but this bike ant delivering that!hmm hell GT had one that looked almost just like this frame and fork 4 years ago.tongue  so the consept is not late to the party.

Material is only half the equation. This bike has some very drastic design departures as well. Most older and even current Carbon bikes for BMX are the same as their 4130 or alloy counterparts. This has offset chainstays, modified geometry, zero offset bars, and very unique fork configuration.

In road bikes, a lot of companies make carbon frames. Very few make excellent carbon bikes.

You know, as I look at it again, I think it's the zero offset bars that I don't like. Can't imagine you'd get good leverage there. Body position would be all funky. I imagine it would be straight line fast, but not sure it would get out of the gate fast. Maybe that's the chainstay design's job...

I thrashed your grail, and I loved every second of it.

#459 2012-07-31 2:31pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Website

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

five wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

I can't even read what you are saying, so it's basically meaningless.  If you can't see the difference in that carbon huffy you pointed out, and this bike, you clearly don't get it.  Do you even know what the word "concept" means?  Carbon isn't a "Concept", it's a material.  Just because someone has used the same material before, doesn't mean it can't be revolutionary.  Just because something looked like something else, doesn't mean it's the same.  I know most of these words are over your head, so do yourself a favor, and just don't respond, you look silly.

#460 2012-07-31 4:15pm

yellow99s
Expert
Bikes: 17

phusion X wrote:

looks likes its a carbon freestyle bike. I really hate carbon fiber, what a crap material to use scratches and water destroy it, 2 elements that are typical in bmx. oh, but manufactures make billions producing CF items, so marketing says its best.

Weird, I put 4700, often rain soaked, miles on my first carbon bike, no issues at all. What problems have YOU experienced?

"This should be a no brainer guys. If you think the wife would disagree with the bike/price tell her "Honey, I bought this for you. I LUUVVVV you...". And then proceed to put it with your other bikes and tell her she can never ride it. lol"

#461 2012-07-31 4:55pm

harlen
The Waco Kid
Bikes: 8
Website

My first impression was I thought it looked like a GT or Intense......Those forks arent zero offset they have rake on them. Little offset on bars are going to make it very responsive.  Heres a site totally devoted to carbon fiber I wouldnt wanna own anything carbon fiber.   http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

46 year old New School BMX Rider
Old dog learning new tricks

#462 2012-07-31 5:26pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

forty_three wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

Material is only half the equation. This bike has some very drastic design departures as well. Most older and even current Carbon bikes for BMX are the same as their 4130 or alloy counterparts. This has offset chainstays, modified geometry, zero offset bars, and very unique fork configuration.

In road bikes, a lot of companies make carbon frames. Very few make excellent carbon bikes.

You know, as I look at it again, I think it's the zero offset bars that I don't like. Can't imagine you'd get good leverage there. Body position would be all funky. I imagine it would be straight line fast, but not sure it would get out of the gate fast. Maybe that's the chainstay design's job...

good points I did not see the offset chainstays.

#463 2012-07-31 5:44pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

harlen wrote:

My first impression was I thought it looked like a GT or Intense......Those forks arent zero offset they have rake on them. Little offset on bars are going to make it very responsive.  Heres a site totally devoted to carbon fiber I wouldnt wanna own anything carbon fiber.   http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

thjat site has some narly broken  carbon road bikes. now they want to use it more in BMX?hmm

no thanks I will stick to my chromoly and alloy frames.

#464 2012-07-31 5:52pm

XJguy
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2
Website

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

harlen wrote:

thjat site has some narly broken  carbon road bikes. now they want to use it more in BMX?hmm

no thanks I will stick to my chromoly and alloy frames.

Wow....considering some of those road races hit speeds approaching 100mph....thats crazy.

WTB Bully stem.
WTB Peregrine Super Pros, not pitted.
WTB Kuwahara freestyle stem engraved.

#465 2012-07-31 6:36pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Website

Getting hit by a car is going to break any material.  All frames can break, are you saying no Chromo frames have broken?  Get educated before you comment, or actually ride it before you make an assumption.  I'm sure we can all google good, and bad of carbon, aluminum, and chromo...  it's not very hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O9PLorYPA

Regardless, there's no point in continuing on about carbon.  I'd never buy that bike, but I can respect the forward thinking, and actually have spent many, many miles on carbon.  I've crashed my MTB a hundred times, with minimal damage.

I also play hockey with CF hockey sticks...  do I break them?  Sure, but I've broken plenty of wood sticks as well.

Carbon serves it's purpose, I'm sure you'll all have the ability to buy chromo frames, so go ahead, and do so.  Bob will continue to innovate, I think he's got a pretty good track record for it.  wink

#466 2012-07-31 7:35pm

XJguy
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2
Website

five wrote:

Getting hit by a car is going to break any material.  All frames can break, are you saying no Chromo frames have broken?  Get educated before you comment, or actually ride it before you make an assumption.  I'm sure we can all google good, and bad of carbon, aluminum, and chromo...  it's not very hard.

Regardless, there's no point in continuing on about carbon.  I'd never buy that bike, but I can respect the forward thinking, and actually have spent many, many miles on carbon.  I've crashed my MTB a hundred times, with minimal damage.

I also play hockey with CF hockey sticks...  do I break them?  Sure, but I've broken plenty of wood sticks as well.

Carbon serves it's purpose, I'm sure you'll all have the ability to buy chromo frames, so go ahead, and do so.  Bob will continue to innovate, I think he's got a pretty good track record for it.  wink

Very true, and we don't know how all those bikes broke but I see some on that site that broke on a smooth track and or velodrome....we are talking bikes that cost $10k....

WTB Bully stem.
WTB Peregrine Super Pros, not pitted.
WTB Kuwahara freestyle stem engraved.

#467 2012-07-31 7:53pm

gaijin
Pro MemberResident Hutch Hater
Bikes: 19

Ive owned over 50 bikes in my 30 years of riding (almost all of them actual riders), and the only frame I've ever broken (remember I consider myself mostly a racer and dirt jumper) was a 1997 Mongoose Carbon, which I broke after only 3 months of riding.  I snapped the right rear dropout off while doing back wheel hops on a street corner in Tokyo.  My problems with carbon as a material for BMX are twofold.  First, you can't bolt anything directly to carbon, so antplace where something attaches to the bike (headset, seat tube, BB, dropouts, brake posts) has an aluminum sleeve glued in place there.  The glue is the weak point in the chain.  When carbon bikes fail, they will most often fail because the glue lets go.  Second, carbon doesn't flex.  It transfers all of the shock of a landing into the rider (which is also why I don't like aluminum frames).  I subscribe to the Lynn Kastan school of bMX in that I believe a certain amount of flex is a good thing.

avatar photo copyright 2012 asklite

Things I need:  Chrome MX-900s and Tech 3 (rear), 1st or 2nd gen finned Mathauser pads with original hardware.

#468 2012-07-31 8:01pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Website

XJguy wrote:

five wrote:

Very true, and we don't know how all those bikes broke but I see some on that site that broke on a smooth track and or velodrome....we are talking bikes that cost $10k....

Yes, Carbon does break, but how many other carbon bikes didn't break?  What happened miles, and miles before the actual break?  Suppose that bike was crashed a month earlier, and it just happened to break on a routine ride.

I've broken hockey sticks on a routine pass, but I know that isn't what broke the stick.  I think it's hilarious when guys break hockey sticks on a slap shot...  as if a 40 year old dude, has such a hard shot that he's going to break sticks...  it's almost always a slash, or stick check prior to the shot that actually did the damage, then that routine pass, or whatever is when it fails.

Also, 10K bikes aren't 10K bikes because of Carbon, or just the frame.  Components almost always cost more than the frame itself.  Crap, wheels alone can cost more than the frame.

All bikes can break, that's all I'm saying.  To say carbon breaks all the time, or more often is irresponsible, because it's simply unfounded.  I've ridden carbon for years now, I agree, carbon broke a lot more years ago, than it does now.  Surely water doesn't break carbon, that is just silly.

My point is, there is a lot of bad info being said about it here, and it's not for everyone.  If you don't like it, that's OK, but to not like it, and say it's fragile, is just not true.

#469 2012-07-31 8:40pm

gaijin
Pro MemberResident Hutch Hater
Bikes: 19

Ive owned over 50 bikes in my 30 years of riding (almost all of them actual riders), and the only frame I've ever broken (remember I consider myself mostly a racer and dirt jumper) was a 1997 Mongoose Carbon, which I broke after only 3 months of riding.  I snapped the right rear dropout off while doing back wheel hops on a street corner in Tokyo.  My problems with carbon as a material for BMX are twofold.  First, you can't bolt anything directly to carbon, so antplace where something attaches to the bike (headset, seat tube, BB, dropouts, brake posts) has an aluminum sleeve glued in place there.  The glue is the weak point in the chain.  When carbon bikes fail, they will most often fail because the glue lets go.  Second, carbon doesn't flex.  It transfers all of the shock of a landing into the rider (which is also why I don't like aluminum frames).  I subscribe to the Lynn Kastan school of bMX in that I believe a certain amount of flex is a good thing.

avatar photo copyright 2012 asklite

Things I need:  Chrome MX-900s and Tech 3 (rear), 1st or 2nd gen finned Mathauser pads with original hardware.

#470 2012-07-31 9:37pm

BMX_Brigade_86
The Brigadier
Bikes: 4

gaijin wrote:

I have no experience with Carbon Fiber as it pertains to bikes - I just have to say Amen to what Donnie just said above about the shock of landing being transferred to the rider with Aluminum or stiff bikes... I hate that! I too like a certain amount of flex especially as it takes me longer to heal than it used to smile

#471 2012-07-31 11:28pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK

five wrote:

XJguy wrote:

five wrote:

Yes, Carbon does break, but how many other carbon bikes didn't break?  What happened miles, and miles before the actual break?  Suppose that bike was crashed a month earlier, and it just happened to break on a routine ride.

I've broken hockey sticks on a routine pass, but I know that isn't what broke the stick.  I think it's hilarious when guys break hockey sticks on a slap shot...  as if a 40 year old dude, has such a hard shot that he's going to break sticks...  it's almost always a slash, or stick check prior to the shot that actually did the damage, then that routine pass, or whatever is when it fails.

Also, 10K bikes aren't 10K bikes because of Carbon, or just the frame.  Components almost always cost more than the frame itself.  Crap, wheels alone can cost more than the frame.

All bikes can break, that's all I'm saying.  To say carbon breaks all the time, or more often is irresponsible, because it's simply unfounded.  I've ridden carbon for years now, I agree, carbon broke a lot more years ago, than it does now.  Surely water doesn't break carbon, that is just silly.

My point is, there is a lot of bad info being said about it here, and it's not for everyone.  If you don't like it, that's OK, but to not like it, and say it's fragile, is just not true.

I  guess can't speek abought new carbon  BMX frames. the newest carbon frame I owned was a 2008 trek road bike. had to get rid of it. I broke it. but I still ride the shit out of my 1984 Madice . doing centuries (100 long mile bike rides)  it's full culombus steal  tubing. shure the paint is chipred the chrome on the back  end is rusty. bought it's still ridable.

so you may be wright newer carbon frames might be better than my older one.

#472 2012-08-01 12:49am

aaronl
Museum Addict

BMX_Brigade_86 wrote:

gaijin wrote:

I have no experience with Carbon Fiber as it pertains to bikes - I just have to say Amen to what Donnie just said above about the shock of landing being transferred to the rider with Aluminum or stiff bikes... I hate that! I too like a certain amount of flex especially as it takes me longer to heal than it used to smile

The carbon fibres, not the top weave coat can be layered up in a fashion that can give a lot of flex or rigidity where needed.  I do agree that the bonded in aluminium cups can become loose that is poor manufacturing.  I have a carbon track frame that does see greater loads being put into it than a bmx will.  Jumping/casing and even more so craashing is the main problem. 

Still I have noticed quite a few of the carbon Redlines getting around, still too new to see many fail.  Cheap carbon bike products are like hi-ten cheap steel or cheap aluminium, it's lets go and fails easily.  There are good carbon bikes that have been around since the 80's.

For bmx use, time will tell.

#473 2012-08-01 5:19am

oldschoolray
Expert
Website

Unreal ... 19 pages of wasted files on the Museum Server mad

Peace / Love / Happiness

#474 2012-08-01 5:47am

crownrox
"Resident Drunkie"
Website

oldschoolray wrote:

you say that about every thread that goes over 5 pages lol

The opinions and statements expressed herein are solely my own and not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual nor do they represent the opinions of BMX MUSEUM.... i pretty much blame the alcohol , you should too

#475 2012-08-01 7:59am

FRESSTYLE FREEK

crownrox wrote:

oldschoolray wrote:

you say that about every thread that goes over 5 pages lol

well  guess he (oldschoolray) is a get to the point on page 1 or shot the hell up stop typing kinda guy!tongue

Board footer