You are not logged in.

buy on the bay and sell on the museum  RSS Feed

#76 2012-04-06 11:56pm

king stinger
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 29

Re: buy on the bay and sell on the museum

If it is a part,how do you know it is the same part from ebay,lots of parts out there unless it was something super rare,some ebay sellers don't get top dollar with bad pics or bad feedback,but just because you see a part higher here does not mean it is that same part from ebay,Most stuff is cheaper here than ebay and most sellers offer free shipping here.I buy and sell here,it is the best!

#77 2012-04-07 2:42am

lipshtzz
Pro MemberThe Grim Reaper

lol lol lol i sell here alot and watch my stuff go to ebay all the time, hell i sell to people just so they can put it on ebay and still make money off it. I get what i want for it and f#*k the rest.
I buy on ebay and here at times and if i get a good deal on a part i dont need, i sell it here or ebay for more money, so i can get the parts i want. I never ask for a bro deal, i might ask for a better deal however.
At times i buy  parts just to do a build and get a few pics for myself, take it apart aand sell it if i dont like it and becaues we all know parting it makes you more money 9 out of 10 times.
I guess what i am saying is stay the  f#*k out of other peoples business, who the hell do you think you are there wife?
I will say this, making a thread just to cry about it is not the way to go.

Last edited by lipshtzz (2012-04-07 2:51am)

#78 2012-04-07 2:59am

vintage chromoly
Pro Member
For Sale: 20

hmm

unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

#79 2012-04-07 6:35am

paolooch
Intermediate
Bikes: 4

Sometimes you break the bar, sometimes the bar breaks you...

"And don't give me any of that local anesthetic, I want the good imported stuff!"

#80 2012-04-07 6:37am

srootster
Expert

some of you guys are rather hostile. there are programs you can get involved in. riding your bikes helps rid some of that negative energy as well. big_smile

Last edited by srootster (2012-04-07 6:56am)

#81 2012-04-07 7:06am

GaryK
Museum Addict
Bikes: 6

srootster wrote:

some of you guys are rather hostile. there are programs you can get involved in. riding your bikes helps rid some of that negative energy as well. big_smile

lol

Wanted:98-04 Huffy race stuff......Parts,Gear,Literature etc.

I'm tryin' to think,But nothin's happenin'!

#82 2012-04-07 7:31am

streetfreak
Pro MemberEx-44T Neophyte!
Bikes: 2

my 2cents, i have seen parts sell on the bay and show up here 6 days later, for a 200dollar mark up, its kinda insulting,
and sure there is some money to be made some times.
but, it kinda shows "shadyness" i had a member try to sell me a 600 dollar frameset, and after 6 pms and a ph call, i finally got the member to admit that the frame had been altered/damaged, this member also bid to win on an ebay item and never paid, and had several ebay wins listed here for a hefty mark up, im on a budget and pay close attention to both, but someone new to the hobby might not have the buying skills honed as much as most, and could end up getting burned or over paying.
if i score a trick star at a garage sale for 35bucks, sure its going to sell for much more, but when members are buying here low, and then selling here HIGH, it just dosnt seem like thats what the site is about.
i have made and lost $$ here, bro deals, mood, my idea of value etc.
i have seen some call outs on this and other, shady selling, thumbs up, it is part of the reason were here.
even having a 100+ feedback, a members callout saved me from a possible burn on a hutch, i was ready to dib and pay on the spot, but read the post and passed, on a burn.

Pets
Micro, 3 legged toy poodle. Rescue
Blue cheese, blue tick. Rescue with an attitude
Steve French , mountain lion, returned to the wild.

#83 2012-04-07 7:50am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
For Sale: 48
Website

srootster wrote:

alright... this is the 4th time in a month i've been sniped on a part i wanted only to find it on the museum a week later at a HUGE mark-up. i don't mind getting outbid but c'mon. i understand that the world is full of schmucks so i don't need a reality check. enthusiast forums are usually places where people look out for one another.

rant over.

This forum is not the tight knit family it once was, this place is like e-bay now.

Sorry to have to inform you of this          sad

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#84 2012-04-07 8:29am

Hurcobob
Museum Addict
Bikes: 9
Website

I don't buy things on here or on Ebay unless I want them for myself. I have never bought an item with the sole purpose of turning it around for a profit. I make money at my job, not buying and selling bike parts. I have fun building and riding bikes. It's a hobby for me that I'm passionate about......not a business.
If I came across something rare & cheap at a garage sale, flea market, etc, and I didn't want to keep it, I would sell it for what other similar items are going for. Since I rarely go to garage sales or flea markets, that's probably not going to happen.
I think if I started searching everywhere for "deals" just to try to sell for profit, it would become more like work and less of a hobby. Some people must enjoy doing that, but it's not for me.

WANTED: GJS Big Tube frame and fork..........I have cash!!!!!
    (Any condition considered)

#85 2012-04-07 9:36am

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo

I understand what the OP is saying, but what can you do? It happens. Is it whacked? Depends on the way you look at it. As a way to make money...nope. That's business. Screwing the hobby & BMX enthusiasts...sure.

There are people here that are solely here to make $$. There are people here for the love of the hobby. I personally am here for the love of bikes, so I try to only deal with the same people...those that love the hobby.

#86 2012-04-07 10:13am

Big Dawg88
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

ncmalko1 wrote:

That never bothered me too much but I recently got a PM on something I was selling and the member wanted a HUGE discount, but like SRooster said, I like to help a brother out too. I made a couple extra bucks that day so I gave him the steep bro deal discount. 3 days later it was posted on the museum for 2 times what he paid me. Usually I dont care, but man... I felt used when my intention was to hook a brother up to help complete his build.

The same thing happend to me. Gave me some story in a PM so let them trade parts and cash then a month later they sold it for twice the price.

WTB Early 90's chrome Redline proline F/F

#87 2012-04-07 10:19am

butcherbobhayes
Museum Addict
Bikes: 1
Website

srootster wrote:

alright... this is the 4th time in a month i've been sniped on a part i wanted only to find it on the museum a week later at a HUGE mark-up. i don't mind getting outbid but c'mon. i understand that the world is full of schmucks so i don't need a reality check. enthusiast forums are usually places where people look out for one another.

rant over.

For the most part the parts on ebay sell for what they are worth. There are exceptions of course, and those go both ways. Some sellers have their stuff shill bid up to the top, or it is something that is out there at the right time, with a lot of people that are looking for that specific item. There are also sellers that are terrible at listing their items and get basically get no traffic on their listing, hence getting very few if any bids on them. So those go for much less than what typical market value would be. Most people do not know anything about these items because they could not find them.

I assume that by "sniped" you are referring to people out bidding you at the last minuet and getting the part that you want. Right or wrong, that is how the game is played. It is not a new deal and is the way ebay likes it. They have made adjustments in the way the site works to accommodate such behavior so I would say it is right. You no longer have to refresh the page constantly to see the new bids, and they even put the count down timer on the confirm bid page.

Reselling ebay parts here is just part of the food chain. Where do you think all these old bike parts come from? Sure a lot of them are hunted down by collectors, but a whole lot of them are also found by non collectors as well. Without outlets like ebay a lot of those parts would just be scrap metal. So they are for sale on ebay then sold here thus completing the chain. It can not be sold here for ridiculous money, because it generally will not sell.  If you are getting outbid then your bid is not anywhere near what the part is worth, just what you are hoping to get it for. So why do you think your getting screwed when you want to pay way less than something is worth?

If you want parts cheap you need to change the way you are searching. First be patient, you are going to be waiting for something that most people do not see. It is going to take a lot of time on your part. You will want to be using the Google Chrome browser with the ebay extension, this will let you watch your items without going to ebay itself and easily lets you see info like page views and the current bid amount. Page views is very important to getting parts cheap, the fewer views the better your chances are of getting a part at a good price. Next you will need to find the auctions that most are not finding. Start searching for all kinds of keywords in all sorts of categories, not just BMX. Some sellers have no real idea what they are selling and do not know how to describe it properly so that part slips through the cracks. Search with the parts and/or keywords misspelled, seems stupid but it works. A lot of people are too specific with their searches. By being general you will have a better chance of finding unseen items (yes you will be scrolling through sometimes 1000's of items you do not care about, but that is part of the price you have to pay). When you find what you want, put it in your watch list and use the ebay extension to follow it. As the auction time goes down keep checking the price and page views, if both stay low, go in at the last minuet and place a bid. Late bids help you to avoid being shilled up. I rarely place a bid on anything until the last 20 or so seconds, that's how the game is played. This info will not guarantee that you will get a part, but it will help. I have picked up a lot of items very reasonably doing it. For example, 1st gen VDC built Powerlite Powerbend bars for $31.98 shipped (this one was so poorly listed that in 7 days there were only 7 page views and I was the only bidder), 1st gen Phil Wood hubs for $65.00 shipped and Redline 401's complete for $217.00 shipped. These are just a few of the things that I have picked up. Give this method a try, you may be surprised at the outcome.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#88 2012-04-07 10:26am

AtariAger
Pro MemberPro Class

Hurcobob wrote:

I don't buy things on here or on Ebay unless I want them for myself. I have never bought an item with the sole purpose of turning it around for a profit. I make money at my job, not buying and selling bike parts. I have fun building and riding bikes. It's a hobby for me that I'm passionate about......not a business.
If I came across something rare & cheap at a garage sale, flea market, etc, and I didn't want to keep it, I would sell it for what other similar items are going for. Since I rarely go to garage sales or flea markets, that's probably not going to happen.
I think if I started searching everywhere for "deals" just to try to sell for profit, it would become more like work and less of a hobby. Some people must enjoy doing that, but it's not for me.

100% - cool

'I've forgotten more than most ever knew'

#89 2012-04-07 10:36am

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
For Sale: 8
Website

Buy low, sell high. Bro deals rule.

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

#90 2012-04-07 10:42am

srootster
Expert

let me reiterate my point. i know how the eBay game is played. i do not mind getting outbid. it sucks, but i bid what i'm willing to pay. period. i don't necessarily agree with the sniper programs though. the part that bugs me is when i see the exact part i wanted at a huge mark-up on the museum (sometimes only hours after the auction ended roll ). most of the enthusiast forums i frequent do not operate this way in general. hell, we buy parts for one another just to keep the passion and brotherhood alive. it's just a culture shock for me. it is what it is though and i'm really not losing sleep over it. they are only bike parts and i'm having a great time meeting a lot of you and enjoying the hobby together. i will treat those of you i have met the way i'm used to operating. if i see a deal on a part a buddy needs and he's not around to buy it, i will and i will pass on the same deal. there are flippers everywhere, but there are an extraordinary amount on this site. it's still an aweome, addicting site so i'm not saying anything against it.

i was just aggravated when i made this thread and blowing off a bit of steam. i hadn't had my coffee yet and biting my tongue is not one of my strengths  big_smile .

#91 2012-04-07 10:49am

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
For Sale: 8
Website

Oh, I get it.

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

#92 2012-04-07 10:57am

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
Website

butcherbobhayes wrote:

If you want parts cheap you need to change the way you are searching. First be patient, you are going to be waiting for something that most people do not see. It is going to take a lot of time on your part. You will want to be using the Google Chrome browser with the ebay extension, this will let you watch your items without going to ebay itself and easily lets you see info like page views and the current bid amount. Page views is very important to getting parts cheap, the fewer views the better your chances are of getting a part at a good price. Next you will need to find the auctions that most are not finding. Start searching for all kinds of keywords in all sorts of categories, not just BMX. Some sellers have no real idea what they are selling and do not know how to describe it properly so that part slips through the cracks. Search with the parts and/or keywords misspelled, seems stupid but it works. A lot of people are too specific with their searches. By being general you will have a better chance of finding unseen items (yes you will be scrolling through sometimes 1000's of items you do not care about, but that is part of the price you have to pay). When you find what you want, put it in your watch list and use the ebay extension to follow it. As the auction time goes down keep checking the price and page views, if both stay low, go in at the last minuet and place a bid. Late bids help you to avoid being shilled up. I rarely place a bid on anything until the last 20 or so seconds, that's how the game is played. This info will not guarantee that you will get a part, but it will help. I have picked up a lot of items very reasonably doing it. For example, 1st gen VDC built Powerlite Powerbend bars for $31.98 shipped (this one was so poorly listed that in 7 days there were only 7 page views and I was the only bidder), 1st gen Phil Wood hubs for $65.00 shipped and Redline 401's complete for $217.00 shipped. These are just a few of the things that I have picked up. Give this method a try, you may be surprised at the outcome.

you're suppose to let them figure this out for themselves hmm

1 9 7 7   R a c e   I n c.   R A - 7                                       1 9 7 9   R e d   L i n e   M X I I

#93 2012-04-07 10:58am

srootster
Expert

itsdug wrote:

Oh, I get it.

i knew you would big_smile

Last edited by srootster (2012-04-07 10:59am)

#94 2012-04-07 2:45pm

king stinger
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 29

Just because you see a high price here in the beta section does not mean it will sell,most buyers here know what to pay and what the parts go for,now if it is rare you might get more,What was the part you were out bid on?

#95 2012-04-07 3:17pm

osog
"Nomadic Antisocial"
Bikes: 3

butcherbobhayes wrote:

srootster wrote:

rant over.

For the most part the parts on ebay sell for what they are worth. There are exceptions of course, and those go both ways. Some sellers have their stuff shill bid up to the top, or it is something that is out there at the right time, with a lot of people that are looking for that specific item. There are also sellers that are terrible at listing their items and get basically get no traffic on their listing, hence getting very few if any bids on them. So those go for much less than what typical market value would be. Most people do not know anything about these items because they could not find them.

I assume that by "sniped" you are referring to people out bidding you at the last minuet and getting the part that you want. Right or wrong, that is how the game is played. It is not a new deal and is the way ebay likes it. They have made adjustments in the way the site works to accommodate such behavior so I would say it is right. You no longer have to refresh the page constantly to see the new bids, and they even put the count down timer on the confirm bid page.

Reselling ebay parts here is just part of the food chain. Where do you think all these old bike parts come from? Sure a lot of them are hunted down by collectors, but a whole lot of them are also found by non collectors as well. Without outlets like ebay a lot of those parts would just be scrap metal. So they are for sale on ebay then sold here thus completing the chain. It can not be sold here for ridiculous money, because it generally will not sell.  If you are getting outbid then your bid is not anywhere near what the part is worth, just what you are hoping to get it for. So why do you think your getting screwed when you want to pay way less than something is worth?

Holy CRAP!!! Youare right!! If I search for "HUTCH" instead of "HUTCH BMX" I get a bunch of furniture!!!! WTH!!!

"I didn’t invent the turtle-neck, Lana, but I was the first to recognize it’s potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtle-neck, Lana… the ‘tactle-neck!"

#96 2012-04-07 3:54pm

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler
Bikes: 7

Time is better spent riding bikes than working on Bromances!!! neutral

Well if you still don't believe you best get up and leave
Do what you must do, but this ain't the place for you

Kuwahara, its the best!!

When I'm dead, i'll stop riding bikes.

Board footer

View Cart →