You are not logged in.

How To Convert 1inch Threaded To 1 1/8 Threadless  RSS Feed

#51 2008-12-02 1:51pm

caleb_k31
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 15

Re: How To Convert 1inch Threaded To 1 1/8 Threadless

i think they all work. you need parts from a 1" and a 1-1/8" headset to make it work ..

WILL NOT DEAL WITH LIST 619-bmx, Boyd, NickWG19, quadsticher, Djrothus, cgeorge715, bob70, sharkbite, Luke Sears ebay name bmxbrigade.

GT fork stander spring install - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=426565
PFT restoration thread - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 50&p=1
epoch headset, freestyle vs. race - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 7#p4233077

All the hub/hoop measuring info you will need along with spoke calculation info http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 9#p5435389

#52 2008-12-02 1:53pm

TOP JIMI
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

I have a new DK RT fork and the bottom of the fork is too wide to fit in the cups without any bearing. The forks get wide right before where the bearings sit. I don't want to buy another one without knowing which brands are being used. In the initial article it states that you need a steerer tube that accomadates the 1" bearing. This fork doesn't seem to work. It's too bad too because they are nice forks. I'll measure them again. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong. I'll post some pics tomorrow to show what I'm talking about. BTW the Panda looks great.

Last edited by TOP JIMI (2008-12-02 2:43pm)

Need A Harry Leary Turbo Fork

#53 2008-12-03 12:27pm

TOP JIMI
Centurion Member

Okay, I took everything apart and took pics. The DK RT Forks just aren't going to work. Just to show you that I'm picking up what your throwing down. I'm putting up a photo of the same bike with some Answer 11/8" Pro Scythe forks on it. Here's the pics.

Answer Fork photo
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/TOPJIMI23/Answerfork.jpg

DK/RT Fork photo
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/TOPJIMI23/dkfork2.jpg
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/TOPJIMI23/dkfork1.jpg
This fork is just way too beefy.

All's not lost because I happend to have a Legend frame sitting around that needed forks.
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/TOPJIMI23/dklegend.jpg

So back to my original question. What brands and types of forks have worked with this set up? Just don't want to waste money. Thanks Jimi

Last edited by TOP JIMI (2008-12-03 12:28pm)

#54 2008-12-03 1:02pm

BridgeCity

there isn't a clear answer to your question, so let me quiz you some more....

from that pic, what doesn't work?  is the steerer tube too fat to slide up inbetween the cups for the last inch or so?

if so, i've not yet run across a fork with that kind of taper at the bottom?

#55 2008-12-03 1:29pm

TOP JIMI
Centurion Member

In the second photo of the DK fork. You can see the gap/distance from the cup to the bottom of the steerer tube is way too wide for any bearing. This is as far as the fork will go into the cups. The steerer tube is just too wide. There really wasn't a question as to whether they fit or not. You guys said they all work but I ran into some that didn't. I just figure I'd post some pics to show that not all of the 11/8" forks work with this set up. Maybe make others aware that they don't work with this set up. My question was/is what brands/type of forks have people used with this set up? For instance, Like what brands/types of forks have you or anyone else out there have used besides what is seen on the Panda. Thanks Jimi

Last edited by TOP JIMI (2008-12-03 1:36pm)

#56 2008-12-03 2:03pm

BridgeCity

i've seen dk, sinz, GT, akisu and all the other variations being posted here on the museum.

OK, well lets find a solution for those particular forks, whatever they belong to? maybe an integrated headtube setup?

Here is the first question. if you put the race on those forks...does the 1 inch bearing cage fit and roll around it smoothly?

if yes, then take a dremel and remove a bit of meat from the inner diameter of the lower cup.  maybe those cups are nicer quality and thicker metal?  if you look at a pile of cups you'll notice the dimensions of the metal used vary quite a bit.

#57 2008-12-03 2:35pm

TOP JIMI
Centurion Member

Well grinding would probably work but I was a toolmaker for awhile and machining anything is right up my alley. I could have the crank turned down to size but that or grinding would probably affect the integrity of the fork and weaken it. It would be to time consuming and costly as well.

Since this thread is about doing a conversion, so the old bikes can run newer fork and stem set ups. This is the conclusion I've come too. There is a need for cups with the dimensions of the old head tubes on the inner part of the cup but with outerpart of the cup having the dimensions of the newer headsets to accomadate for the larger bearing. This would also allow for the use of sealed searings for the older bikes which would be nice too. I'm thinking I'm going to have some prototype cups made and see how they work. If all goes well I may sell some on here. This would allow for any sealed headset to be used as well as any forks or stems and would make ot cheap to put together a older bike with newer better cheaper priced parts. That's what I'm thinking. I can't believe none of the companies have produced something like this. Maybe they think there wouldn't be enough demand. All that is needed is for the cups to be made with the same stock they use now for the newer bikes but with a smaller inside diameter. There's not a whole lot of changing to do other than changing the program on the CNC that cuts them. roll So if theey don't do it maybe I will. cool

#58 2008-12-03 2:51pm

Neil-Son
Pro MemberSuperSon
Website

^^^^^
put me up for a set Jim if you do make one.cool

Another thing that i thought of is wouldnt it be easier to get like a 1/8 thick aluminum tube (1-1/8 in diameter)that can fit inside a new school headtubes and just cut to lenght whatever lenght the headtube that its going to be used for...Theres plenty of threaded headset that is sealed out there.King headset makes one.Its like shimming it but by using a tube all the way from end to end makes it stronger than just using a tiny shim on both ends of the headtube
Like those seatpost shims with a lip just on one end.im thinking it has to have a lip so whem the top headset cup gets pressed on that tube doesnt slide down I should get me a 1 inch headset and play around with this idea. Been wanting to use a Tange ARX on one of my bikes that has a 1-18 headtube.

Last edited by SuperSon (2008-12-03 2:59pm)

#59 2008-12-03 3:00pm

BridgeCity

sounds like a plan.
it has been proven that there is a desire for newer technology on old frames from this core group of enthusiasts.
i'm sure you'll be able to sell whatever you make.

but here is a question from the past.  there was someone making 1 inch cups to fit 1 1/8 headsets (so you can run threaded forks in a new school bike) and they no longer do so.  therefore it appears to be niche demand. (i made 2 sets in the shop for folks but it was very time consuming)

i'll buy a couple of sets from you, if you decide to give it a try.
keep us updated.

by the way, after 2 years of dinking with my favorite old bike i finally have it finished and as perfect as i want it to be.
it rides as good or better than it did with standing gear back when plus i get the benefit of the better front brake.
http://bmxmuseum.com/image/gtindyellow_lg.jpg

Last edited by BridgeCity (2008-12-03 3:08pm)

#60 2008-12-03 3:06pm

Neil-Son
Pro MemberSuperSon
Website

Bridgr werent you selling an ARX before:D

#61 2008-12-03 3:32pm

TOP JIMI
Centurion Member

I'm going to check into what it will cost me to do this to see If it is feasible to have them made. Good thing is I'm in a area with alot of machine shops and they probably will need some work. . I'm sure I'll have to make quite a few to make it worth the shop's time and to make it worth my time by making it more affordable per part. I need to have some programs made.

The GT looks great by the way. I like the way the new bikes are set up having the lighter stronger stems by doing away with the old 90 L shaped necks. It just makes for a better race set up. I'm more into the racing than the show bikes but I do appreciate the old ones restored to specs. I'm into muscle cars too, well Mopars mainly. So in collecting them you have to decide what you want to do with a car (or in the case of bikes) and how much is it worth and is it worth throwing alot of money into. The bikes are the same way. I hear guys get upset if you don't restore it to spec. or use something generic as opposed to the in brand. I really prefer the newer technology to the old. So my bikes will always have some things on it that just aren't stock that add a little bit of individualism too it.

Last edited by TOP JIMI (2008-12-03 3:34pm)

#62 2008-12-03 3:47pm

BridgeCity

never owned an arx fork but owned a ta frame set years ago.

#63 2008-12-05 6:45am

TOP JIMI
Centurion Member

Hey Neil, Are these the type of shims your talking about? http://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/bi … d_895.html

#64 2008-12-05 7:02am

BridgeCity

OMG let's not go there again. those are to convert 1inch standard which is NOT 1 inch BMX.

#65 2008-12-05 7:48am

caleb_k31
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 15

i had a 1-1/8" landing gear i was going to put on a 1" headtube...  i never ended up doing it but the fork was not to wide at the bottom i do know that..

WILL NOT DEAL WITH LIST 619-bmx, Boyd, NickWG19, quadsticher, Djrothus, cgeorge715, bob70, sharkbite, Luke Sears ebay name bmxbrigade.

GT fork stander spring install - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=426565
PFT restoration thread - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 50&p=1
epoch headset, freestyle vs. race - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 7#p4233077

All the hub/hoop measuring info you will need along with spoke calculation info http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 9#p5435389

#66 2008-12-05 8:38am

TOP JIMI
Centurion Member

Just my luck to try it and the first forks I use don't fit. Not only that but it sounds like they are about the only forks that don't work. It's too bad to because they are the lighter than the Answer Pro Scythe and I like the way they look better than the carbon forks. I have the stock Streak forks but I have a Formula I'm putting them on. My son wanted them on his bike. I wanted to put the DK forks on first then put the Answer forks on the Streak and to my surprise it looked pretty good on there and makes the bike a little taller. Thanks for listing some brands used.

Last edited by TOP JIMI (2008-12-05 8:39am)

#67 2008-12-05 8:41am

Neil-Son
Pro MemberSuperSon
Website

TOP JIMI wrote:

Hey Neil, Are these the type of shims your talking about? http://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/bi … d_895.html

something like that Jim but im looking for something that is just in one piece .I was going to stop by my lbs yesterday and see if I can find a seat post shim in 1-1/8 (1/8 thick) thats long enough that it goes the whole lenght of my headtube. top to bottom

Last edited by SuperSon (2008-12-05 8:43am)

#68 2008-12-05 8:55am

Neil-Son
Pro MemberSuperSon
Website

BridgeCity wrote:

OMG let's not go there again. those are to convert 1inch standard which is NOT 1 inch BMX.

What should I look for in a headset? Sounds like theres a difference between 1 inch standard 1 inch bmx.Im probably going to get a 1 inch on ebay like king maybe .What should I ask the seller? Can you give me some examples of what bikes has 1 inch standard? MTB? Road? etc.

#69 2009-03-11 7:46am

bheckel1
Centurion Member
Bikes: 2

I got an idea. tho i dont have the resources to attempt nor the need.

expand the cups of the 1"(32.7) bmx to 1 1/8"( 33.9mm)

turn a taper on a stainless rod from 31 mm to 35 in about 12" then force the 1" cup down it like a jewler sizing a ring. they use lubner to keep it from getting stuck

or use a micro exhaust expander/heat maybe

braze them in

in the other direction.

A hydrolic hose swagger to compress 33.9mm down to 32.7. i used to have access to one of these for making hoses for dumptrucks but my new shop just orders them out.
This would not be as needed since i have done the multi/headset trick a few times and it works great. but someone with a beat chrisking might try this to see if it distorts the race surface in the process.

Last edited by bheckel1 (2009-03-11 8:51pm)

socrates didnt know what he was talking about

#70 2009-05-03 12:28pm

Fatboy
"He's just Big Boned"
Bikes: 87
Website

How can I fit a 1" threaded fork into a frame intended to use 1 1/8" threadless?  I don't want to buy a $100 adapter -is there a lower cost solution, seems like this should be simple.

Stuff I want: 2000 24" DB Reactor Team frame ,  Voxom and Enigma stuff. Alliant / Radix stem and stuff.  JW and Stiffys stuff.  Cool late mid-school cruiser parts.

#71 2009-05-05 5:13am

BridgeCity

you have to modify the 1 inch cups to fit the larger 1 1/8 headtube inner diameter which involves some welding and machining.

#72 2009-05-05 10:29am

oldskoololdman
Intermediate

I bought a 97 Schwinn superstock,which from all my research should have 1 1/8 threadless.but it had a 1" threaded fork installed.I popped the cups out and compared the headtube with a 07 Diamondback frame and the measurement was the same.I even took those cups and put them on the DB frame and they worked.What could these cups be from?They have not been modified,Possibly From a mountain bike or something?

Whoever dies with the most bikes wins!
Looking for:26.6mm seatpost and cheap 24" wheels

#73 2009-05-18 8:14pm

Giginfrogg
Pro MemberFroggy

Im trying to do just the opposite use a 11/8 head tube with the old school threaded forks and stem.. headtube shims or reducers... just found em online.

If I owe you feedback PM me. My inbox is like a WAR zone.
Wanted: 24 or 26" Quadangle F/F 1" threaded version non canti. What ever maker it may be....

#74 2009-05-18 8:16pm

Giginfrogg
Pro MemberFroggy

http://www.wheelsmfg.com/index.php?opti … ;Itemid=41

EUREKA HEAD TUBE REDUCERS! DO A GOOGLE SEARCH AND TYPE IN HEADTUBE SHIMS OR REDUCERS THERE ON THERE.

If I owe you feedback PM me. My inbox is like a WAR zone.
Wanted: 24 or 26" Quadangle F/F 1" threaded version non canti. What ever maker it may be....

#75 2009-05-18 8:18pm

Neil-Son
Pro MemberSuperSon
Website

dans has those shim thing

Board footer

View Cart →