You are not logged in.

Can I ask you a personal question?  RSS Feed

#1 2012-03-11 9:48pm

MrRipper
Centurion Member
Bikes: 6

Can I ask you a personal question?

If anyone is game I am curious about the number you started at (What you thought you would spend) vs how much you have invested total. Not what the stuff is worth but what you have in it. Anyone want to admit they have a problem? lol This is not about showing off about who has the highest number I'm just curious? PS: If you don't like the thread just don't comment. No haters please... big_smile

Last edited by MrRipper (2012-03-11 9:52pm)

#2 2012-03-11 9:52pm

Capt. Nemo
SE Racing Addict
Bikes: 49

Re: Can I ask you a personal question?

I started with zero, and I have so much time, energy and fun invested, it's priceless. smile

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us"...

And I'll look down and whisper "no".

#3 2012-03-11 9:58pm

psychoduddycycles
Pro MemberWAYYYY in the red since 1983
Bikes: 10

Well, I started buying bikes in '85 with paper route money soooooo. I started with like $25/wk. lol

Exponentially, I've probably spent enough over the years to buy a rather large house.......

Sometimes, to make a paradise, you gotta release a SERPENT.

#4 2012-03-11 10:15pm

MiniZ
Pro Member

In the current market, I have more into my bikes than I could possibly get out of them.(nothing super high end or desirable).  But with that said, I'm not into crazy money on any of my builds due to my willingness to accept less than perfection and/or being realistic to what my budget constraints are.

Old School Baptized, Mid School Convert
The sooner we leave, the sooner we can get back and not have sex.

#5 2012-03-11 10:27pm

alainmagana
Pro MemberIn Wonderland
Bikes: 1

To much i keep hearing roll from wife lol and yes I have a problem tongue

Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

#6 2012-03-11 10:37pm

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Bikes: 19
Website

I might die tomorrow so I have no problems today cool

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#7 2012-03-11 10:40pm

DIPSOMANIAC
AdminAdministrator
Bikes: 4

A hell of a lot cheaper than a meth habit and i have had lots of fun and am relatively healthy.

I'm letting the liquor do most of the thinking.....

***If you sell here take a minute to update your buyer!***
***If you buy here have some patience, this isn't Amazon, it's a hobby to most.***

#8 2012-03-11 11:35pm

pr200
Pro MemberBringin The Thunda From Down Unda
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 1

Bugger all compared to some......I spend what I can afford and what i can hide from the wife, she does not get my BMX thang.

B

Just put a deposit down on a brand new Porsche and mentioned it on Facebook. I said, "I can't wait for the new 911 to arrive!" Next thing I know 4,000 f**king Muslims have added me as a friend!

#9 2012-03-11 11:48pm

king stinger
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 5

Never thought i would buy more than 1 bike,but i was suprised at some of the great buys and the fun hunting for bikes so i got quite a few now and spent less than i thought i would.

#10 2012-03-12 12:13am

bigBuckets
Centurion Member

Getting back into bikes last year, I bought a cheap cr-mo complete thinking I'd leave it as-is.  I then proceeded to replace almost everything on it besides the rims/hubs, frame and I'm still working on it.

#11 2012-03-12 12:20am

Auburn_Fanatic
Pro MemberXXrlproline24XX
Bikes: 24

I figured I'd buy/build 2 bikes for around $2500. But I've probably spent 10 times that.

trying to build the BMX PLUS 1991 Most Popular BMX Giveaway Bike.

#12 2012-03-12 12:22am

streetfreak
Pro MemberEx-44T Neophyte!
Bikes: 2

Outa control!!! Just spent more than I'll say on tires I will most likely ride on, at least once, does anybody buy hot wheels to "collect" then open them cause it's fun.

Pets
Micro, 3 legged toy poodle. Rescue
Blue cheese, blue tick. Rescue with an attitude
Steve French , mountain lion, returned to the wild.

#13 2012-03-12 12:23am

TXBONE
Pro MemberTWENTYFOUR7EVEN
Bikes: 27

i spend all my food money on bmx parts, i dont think thats a problem though. id rather be starving and have nos parts

Last edited by TXBONE (2012-03-12 12:25am)

I can not sit still. I have been tested for A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. and have neither. I don't need coffee, I just need a B.M.X. or surfboard to consistently ride and I'll be happy. smile
INSTAGRAM: @sean_colburn          CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS. SEARCH: 27TXBONE

[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/SEA_ELECTRIC/Internet%20bs%20images/815a8d608e0c528b08240357ddbcb522_zpsdedf4245.jpg[/img]

#14 2012-03-12 1:06am

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo

I'm sure like many others here, I have spent more than I thought I ever would when I first started. Mine started with a simple project of wanting to replicate the '83 Mongoose that I had growing up. Now, I have more bikes than I thought I would have. Will I stop? Probably not. big_smile

I will say that all of my builds are with the intention of them being riders. I personally cannot have a carpet queen. I feel that all bikes should be ridden. With this, it does help keep my bike addiction under control. If I were interested in having show bikes that won't get ridden...I'd be in trouble, especially with the wife. tongue

#15 2012-03-12 1:23am

teamrandr
mongoosed
Bikes: 7

Up until just  a week ago I had never paid any market value for my Mongoose collection.  I found myself with a crap load of parts I had no use for, sold them and decided I wanted some cool goose stuff I had been drooling over for  awhile.  Now I can see how these builds get so out of hand.  Right now I am trying to piece together a 1981 Mongoose Team.  Wow each component to this build is pricey!  Then I see how much the VDC, Profile, etc. builders have into theirs and I don' t  feel as guilty.  Here's a question I have, "Do you divulge the amount spent with your family?"  I don't discuss what I pay for my bikes because alot of people think it is stupid to pay that kind of money for a "kids bike" lol

I wouldn't be here today if the old school didn't pave the way.

#16 2012-03-12 2:32am

hotrod
Expert
Bikes: 5

For me it has not been about the bike. I really like them all. Its been the chase that's addictive.  Scouring ebay,craigslist,garage sales etc. Trying to find a diamond in the rough. I love it. Probably would have a garage full if I had the room.  I find it very relaxing just going out to the garage and tinkering with cables or whatever.

"the impossible just takes a little longer"

#17 2012-03-12 3:31am

BMX KYLE
The Mongoose kid
Bikes: 8

I thought I would build just one bike.Now iam on my second build.lol.I have spent more then I care to say.Also I still want to change some parts on my first build.Also like hotrod says the hunt garage sales ebay.Its the hunt.Its a great hobby.

#18 2012-03-12 4:12am

kilrgt
Pro MemberFreestyle, there is no substitute

Im not even sure how or why I got back into the BMX, I have spent more then I would like to say, I have no problem with it tho. I have  more then a few completes and its just not the same staring t a pile of money or history from my childhood. I do remember when i first starting looking for stuff, i thought to myself there is no way in hell im spending that kind of money on things like Hutch ,VDC ,GJS.... well now i can truly understand why.

#19 2012-03-12 5:24am

scarfish
Say no to AIDS

christ, i spent more since last july, when i got back into the hobby than my car is worth. i also don't know what went through my head when i decided to buy a bike. got a retro ripper, then wanted something older so picked up a '91 elf, then picked the woman up a robi sst for her to ride with me, now working on my first build where parts are costing more than the whole bikes i started last summer with. no worries though. at least you can get most or more of your money back, unless you're an NOS freak and install everything.

i found the museum googling the difference between different gens of flite cranks. saw all the pretty bikes and caught the bug. i wonder if i clicked on a different google result would this all have happened to me. probably not, thanks guys.

#20 2012-03-12 7:57am

forty_three
Museum Addict

scarfish wrote:

i found the museum googling the difference between different gens of flite cranks. saw all the pretty bikes and caught the bug. i wonder if i clicked on a different google result would this all have happened to me. probably not, thanks guys.

I had a similar experience. I was googling for pictures of a Pink Haro Master so I could show my son the bike I used to have. I stumbled across this site, and learned that the bike I tossed into a landfill was one of five ever made.

And then I was stupid enough to actually admit that I had one, completely thrashed it, and got flat out attacked in PM for being so stupid. I guess some of the poor widdle cowwectors got all upset that their grail was "wasted". I assure you, it was NOT wasted. It died a noble death. I can say it was better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

I started my re-entry into the world with a bike that I had dry docked in 1993 after the big wreck and subsequent retirement. It had a GT frame by that time because my second Haro had cracked and my buddy let me have his 88 GTPFT. I started out just fixing that up. Then I bought a Group 1 Race bike. Then a Redline Mini for my son. Then I got an 88 Master FF and gave the GT FF back to it's rightful owner. Then I got ahold of a Dyno to restore. And I just bought a Zippo to retro-ize.

All told, I'm only a grand or two in, which is nothing compared to my $3,000 road bike and my $1800 Mountain Bike. Although, I have already started determining how my yearly bonus check is going to be divided among two or three new bikes.

It's also a pittance compared to the tens of thousands of dollars of bikes and parts I used and killed during my 1979 - 1993 career. 2 Haro Masters, Skyway TA, Schwinn Predator, 2 Schwinn Scramblers, Elf Pro, 2 General RL Pros, GT PFT, Team Murray (as in actually bought from one of their Team Guys), S&M Mad Dog... Not to mention the truckload of parts that came and went. I personally killed 2 sets of Group 1 Cranks and four sets of flights. Thank God for sponsorships. I was BRUTAL on parts. My shop would actually feature any part that lasted more than a month with me.

I thrashed your grail, and I loved every second of it.

#21 2012-03-12 8:02am

Murphys Law
"Tahoe Troubadour"

seems like i always go overbudget by about 25% - 30%.
small build, big build, buildoff.. dont matter always over budget. hmm

#22 2012-03-12 8:13am

ddibbern
Bikes: 11

No, I dont tell them, I like it that my wife and kids love me, so they dont know!

The 70's... We had no knee pads, no over protective soccer moms, no mini vans, if you messed up it was actually your own fault, and we rocked out to 8 tracks, cassettes and vinyl.  THAT'S HOW WE ROLLED!

#23 2012-03-12 8:21am

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

Spent $200 on a used Auburn in '95, and would guess that I've spent around...maybe $2500-$3000 since then?  I ain't complaining.  As far as what they're worth, who knows?  I know that my Skyway is pretty valuable (to some), but all the rest of my mid school stuff is hard to gauge.  Full disclosure. smile

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#24 2012-03-12 9:09am

hotrod
Expert

ddibbern wrote:

No, I dont tell them, I like it that my wife and kids love me, so they dont know!

Funny.  But true.  My wife has no idea why I build bikes with the boys.  I get the line "just buy one at the store".

Im not just building bikes. Im building memories.  Something the kids will pass on some day. big_smile

"the impossible just takes a little longer"

#25 2012-03-12 10:30am

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
For Sale: 1

MrRipper wrote:

If anyone is game I am curious about the number you started at (What you thought you would spend) vs how much you have invested total.

I quit riding in 96. Around 98 I started collecting but it was still very cheap back then.. I spent a total of maybe $200? (yes 2 hundred bucks) to score a complete 91 Auburn, 85 Mach One, lots of parts, and several Hutch frames. These were mostly flea market and garage sale type finds and they were dirt cheap. I stashed these in the closet and didn't touch them again for the next 10 years. I thought I was done. Well fast forward to Summer of 2011.... I caught the bug again and was SHOCKED to see how much people are asking for parts today. Since OS BMX collecting had somewhat became more popular, so does the availability of parts. I am now able to buy parts that I couldn't buy before because people were just diggin them up from their attics. Since summer of last year till today, I've probably spent "enough money to buy a new car"...... neutral

Last edited by SpinTech (2012-03-12 10:34am)

-Joe

Board footer

View Cart →