You are not logged in.

NASCAR

#51 2009-02-09 3:23pm

shawn o
Banned
Signed up: 2007-02-15

Re: NASCAR

Nascar isn't popular outside the USA and the drivers are thought of as jokes (for the most part) on the international racing scene.

Even Juan Pablo couldn't compete in F1 and had to give it up....

And all the "accomplishments" you listed for the drivers are all hillbilly racing...

#52 2009-02-09 3:27pm

oldmanjoe
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2008-03-06
Bikes: 4
Website

seano72 wrote:

Real race car drivers turn both left and right.

NASCAR is to real motorsport as Ameican Idol is to real music.

So if you think the best music of today can be heard on American Idol, then you can find the best racers at a NASCAR event too.

roll

So Nascar driver are not even among the worlds top drivers huh? You really made this one too easy. I'll take it easy on you since you are slow. I will only make an example of 3 current Nascar drivers. If you care to do a little research before making ignorant comments in the future be my guest. Nothing personal I just get upset when ignorance is conveyed as knowledge.

Ok smart a%* Who are these guys?

----Tony Stewart----

Winston/Nextel/Sprint Cup (33 career wins plus 2 championships)

Busch/Nationwide Series (7 career wins)

Craftsman Truck Series (2 career wins)

International Race of Champions (4 career wins plus championship)

IRL IndyCar Series (3 career wins plus championship)

----Juan Pablo Montoya----

F3000 : 102.5 points, 7 wins, 10 poles, 1 time champion
CART : 338 points, 10 wins, 14 poles, 1 time champion
IRL : 54 points, 1 win, 0 poles, 1 time Indy 500 champion
Formula One : 304 points, 7 wins, 13 poles, 2 times 3rd in the championship
NASCAR Sprint Cup : 1 win, 9 top-tens

----and last but not least, Robby Gordon---- (who by the way has not been able to get his Nascar career on track (not due to a lack of ability though).

6 SCORE International championships (1986-90, 1996)
3 time Baja 1000 winner
3 Dakar Rally stage victories
3 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series wins
1 NASCAR Sprint Cup Gatorade 125 Win
1 NASCAR Nationwide Series win (Richmond '04)
2 CART wins (Phoenix and Detroit '95)
2 Central Europe Rally Special wins

I'll let you look up Jeff Gordon. Yes, Nascar I've got your back. big_smilebig_smile

NASCAR has SOME good drivers, but of a 44 car field, that would be about 10-20 drivers.

NASCAR is the place to make money in racing. Which is why it draws the likes of JPM.

BTW - Tony and JPM are two of the best drivers. Jeff probably up there too. If you put Juan in a Hendricks car, I'd bet he'd smoke most of the cup field. That man is quick.

But should we bring up Michael Waltrip?

All I'm saying is half of the NASCAR field would absolutely suck running something other than a stock car on an oval.
If you are more of a watcher than a participator, then I guess I understand watching ovals.

But I like to drive, and that left right, brake, accelerate, shift thing is much more gratifying than left only.

I like new school, it's all I ride.
I love to look at all BMX bikes, I just love the sport.

#53 2009-02-09 3:45pm

Code4130
Pro Member
Signed up: 2008-09-01

WOW, lots of haters on this topic.  Nascar draws all kinds of people,  and yes its not for everybody but you dont have to Hate on it.

" ...and Dangerous Dave samples the Soil... " by Jim McMahon Elgin BMX

#54 2009-02-09 3:50pm

seano72
Expert
Signed up: 2008-05-02
Bikes: 9

shawn o wrote:

Nascar isn't popular outside the USA and the drivers are thought of as jokes (for the most part) on the international racing scene.

And all the "accomplishments" you listed for the drivers are all hillbilly racing...

I would not call finishing 3rd in the series twice not being able to compete. Also, Hillbilly Racing your right and it started as moonshiners ourunning the law at night without headlights, driving down .dirt and aspahalt mountain roads doing 120mph. Care to try that?

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

#55 2009-02-09 5:14pm

boxline69
Redneck on a Skyway
Signed up: 2008-02-07
Bikes: 15

I have had some of the best times of my Life in the Infield of TALLADEGA!! Nascar is not the same as when I was young,but you Have to EXPERIENCE IT before you can make a EDUCATED COMMENT! What you see on TV does not do it justice.Bmxracer 1983 is Doin it! Os style! You gys can Hate all you want but you are MISSING Out on a Heritage.I love anything that goes fast and has a Throttle,I love NHRA,IDBA,NASCAR,and the Others as well.True there is nothing like watching TOP Fuel Drag racing either! I love the smell of NITRO when the guys finish between rounds and complete the teardown/rebuild IN MINUTES!! And If you get a chance take the Dale Jarret Driving experience at TALLADEGA and I promise you,You wil have a Different Outlook! You get to drive the car with a Instructor that if you show competance they will let you Go BALLS OUT!
170 is easy to obtain if you can hold it there all the way around the Track! NO BS!

You Can't Fix Stupid
Need VDC Changa Fork!! and Monkey Bars!!

#56 2009-02-09 5:20pm

boxline69
Redneck on a Skyway

Somebody say Go 24!
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/boxline69/24depend_ad.jpg

You Can't Fix Stupid

#57 2009-02-09 5:23pm

seano72
Expert

shawn o wrote:

Jaun could not compete in F1???

Did you look at his stats?

Formula One : 304 points, 7 wins, 13 poles, 2 times 3rd in the championship

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

#58 2009-02-09 5:26pm

boxline69
Redneck on a Skyway

Yours Truly at Talledega,Ret to go! cool
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/boxline69/t5.jpg

You Can't Fix Stupid

#59 2009-02-09 5:32pm

seano72
Expert

By the way, I never knocked other motorsports they are all exceptional drivers. For some reason though everyone knocks Nascar I guess it's because it's as American as apple pie and draws the largest market share. If they put a track in France it would outsell everything else. I guess thats kind of hard to swallow for some people. I really like riding lawnmower races too. Go George Jones!!! Oh, he was just tryin' to get to the package store. LOL

Ronald Reagan

#60 2009-02-09 5:33pm

FLA ASSASSIN
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2007-10-03
Bikes: 5

YOU FORGOT THE KING 200 WINS 7 CUP CHAMPIONSHIPS AND MOST FAMOUS NUMBER 43

#61 2009-02-09 5:38pm

boxline69
Redneck on a Skyway

I'll tell you what Shawn,I will Buy you a Plane ticket and pick you up,take you to Talladega and let you see for yourself what it's Really About! Thats a Promise.When you talk crap about Nascar that I'm not into as much because it's not the same as BITD and "My" drivers are gone,I am getting a little peeved.You have No Clue what you are saying.

You Can't Fix Stupid

#62 2009-02-09 5:40pm

seano72
Expert

I think Shawn is gone, but Sean will take that ticket!!! LOL

Ronald Reagan

#63 2009-02-09 5:44pm

boxline69
Redneck on a Skyway

smile

You Can't Fix Stupid

#64 2009-02-09 5:45pm

FLA ASSASSIN
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2007-10-03
Bikes: 5

MY RESPECT TO MEN WHO RACED IN 70'S WITH SUPERBIRDS AT OVER 200 MPH AT DAYTONA TURNING LEFT AND AWESOME BILL STILL HOLDS THE RECORD 212 MPH WITH 3400 POUND CAR IN 80'S THAT IS WAY NASCAR IS TOP OF SPORT OF RACING.GO WILD THING #18

#65 2009-02-09 5:47pm

boxline69
Redneck on a Skyway

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville did that at Talladega! wink

You Can't Fix Stupid

#66 2009-02-09 5:50pm

seano72
Expert

FLA ASSASSIN wrote:

MY RESPECT TO MEN WHO RACED IN 70'S WITH SUPERBIRDS AT OVER 200 MPH AT DAYTONA TURNING LEFT AND AWESOME BILL STILL HOLDS THE RECORD 212 MPH WITH 3400 POUND CAR IN 80'S THAT IS WAY NASCAR IS TOP OF SPORT OF RACING.GO WILD THING #18

Especially on tires that were only rated for 150. Wasn't there a year when Petty went to 1/4 mile because they would not give the racers good rubber for the super speedways?

Ronald Reagan

#67 2009-02-09 6:00pm

mongoosefreek
Primo Freek
Signed up: 2008-02-23
Bikes: 8

all these people saying that nascar is easy lets see your f1 guys get on a track and race banked turns with 43 cars inches from each other and see if they dont cause a pile up every turn. im not saying that easch style of auto racing is easy but damn people think about the G's that the drivers are pulled in when running 190 and turning. not to mention the cars bounce around alot and step out around corners. and also do you forget that nascar does run road races too. and there are quite a few of them that can drive like mad on a road course. my point is, each style of racing takes skill and determination. no one style easier than another. so lay off nascar. if you dont like it, fine and good.

Love anything PR1MO.
I mostly like mid/new school bikes/parts.

#68 2009-02-09 6:01pm

seano72
Expert

Nope, in 1965 Petty quit because they would not let him race the"Hemi" he came back later. A bunch of drivers did not compete at Dega in'69 because the tires shredded at 190 and Firestone left and then most of the racers left and Goodyear said they would not supply tires to any car that qualified over 190. Only 12 drivers competed against 23 drivers from the grand touring pony division.

Ronald Reagan

#69 2009-02-09 8:07pm

Code4130
Pro Member
Signed up: 2008-09-01

boxline69 wrote:

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville did that at Talladega! wink

Awesome Bill did real well on Sunday for the Wood Brothers.  I hope he keeps it rolling into the twin 125's this week.  GO #21

" ...and Dangerous Dave samples the Soil... " by Jim McMahon Elgin BMX

#70 2009-02-09 9:34pm

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.
Signed up: 2008-09-04

Left turn!

Proud member of the rajulio hector de la hondo fan club

#71 2009-02-09 11:03pm

Grendal
Pro Member"Rat Wisperer"
Signed up: 2007-03-17
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 2

They do race road courses too!!!!! Get a whole buncha bud...wieser and rent days of thunder......

Just another feeble attempt by the man to keep a brotha down!!!

#72 2009-02-10 5:16am

jay brand
Homeless Bikes Nut
Signed up: 2008-07-27
Website

For all you left turn hater's out there, come on down to my house and I will plop you down in my modified and get a couple of my buddies out on the track with you and we will run it up to about 120mph and hang a few left turns with about 5 or 6 other cars within inches of you and I bet you will change your tune. If you get twutchy about the guy tailgating you in traffic, wait till the nose of their race car is underneath the rear bumper of the one you are riding in and tell me if that dos'nt get your blood pumping. I agree watching 500 laps on TV can get boring, just like baseball and golf  and watching BMX races or the X-games on TV. You have to go out and see these sports in person before you pass judgement.

The devil said "Scratch my back and I'll scratch your back for sure"

#73 2009-02-10 9:30am

mongoosefreek
Primo Freek
Signed up: 2008-02-23
Bikes: 8

right on Jay, sometimes it does get a lil boring, but you gotta stick through the boring times for the excitement of the last few laps. 5 more days til Daytona!!!!

Love anything PR1MO.
I mostly like mid/new school bikes/parts.

#74 2009-02-10 12:20pm

oldmanjoe
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2008-03-06
Bikes: 4
Website

jay brand wrote:

For all you left turn hater's out there, come on down to my house and I will plop you down in my modified and get a couple of my buddies out on the track with you and we will run it up to about 120mph and hang a few left turns with about 5 or 6 other cars within inches of you and I bet you will change your tune. If you get twutchy about the guy tailgating you in traffic, wait till the nose of their race car is underneath the rear bumper of the one you are riding in and tell me if that dos'nt get your blood pumping. I agree watching 500 laps on TV can get boring, just like baseball and golf  and watching BMX races or the X-games on TV. You have to go out and see these sports in person before you pass judgement.

Now you're talkin.

Short track racing is awesome! I'd go to the short track (prefer dirt) any night.

But 3-4 hour of left turns and cautions equates to nappy time for me. That's why I don't follow NASCAR anymore. Too many naps.

I'm an open wheel fan, but the IRL on 1.5 mile ovals lame. too restrictor plate for me (sorry boxline - to each their own)
Mongoosefreak - NASCAR drivers have no clue what G forces are. Ask JPM, or Jeff Gordon. The one short drive Jeff had in an F1 car thrashed his neck and it was a short drive.

I like new school, it's all I ride.
I love to look at all BMX bikes, I just love the sport.

#75 2009-02-10 2:49pm

boxline69
Redneck on a Skyway

Old man,its only boring in a Recliner,fattened up with Sundays Grub and few cold ones.Go in person and if you fall asleep it'll have to be from the Cases of Beer! If you wanna talk G-forces then talk to Cruz Pedregon,or John Force! tongue

You Can't Fix Stupid

Board footer