You are not logged in.

Why have a Repop Bike?  RSS Feed

#1 2012-02-14 10:59am

jumpin jim
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

Why have a Repop Bike?

So you can ride it, instead of look at it The stuff available in the early 80's is a cinch to reproduce, and improve on. So why not buy one and use it?

Last edited by jumpin jim (2012-02-14 11:00am)

#2 2012-02-14 11:02am

GAry
Owner/CuratorYes, I started this site!
Bikes: 419
For Sale: 30
Website

Re: Why have a Repop Bike?

I agree, Many of the higher end bikes made today are light weight and well engineered..Competition is good for the market, and many look like old bikes anyhow..
Some bikes are better to look at, and some are better for riding..or you can be like me, and have both!!

[img]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg/v1/fill/w_926,h_30,al_c,lg_1,q_80/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site Rules   Guide For New Members  Become a Pro Member  For Sale Section Rules  How to post picts
Yes, I started this website myself, way back in 1999, thanks for sharing my passion about BMX!!

#3 2012-02-14 11:02am

looptailnut
Pro MemberI luv Robk for hosting the build off

G A Y

I ride my old stuff.
Why have a bike that looks like something it's not?

Lets Go Steelers, Pens, and Bucs!!!!

#4 2012-02-14 11:10am

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Bikes: 19
Website

I have this bike:
I love it. It looks cool and rides better than any of my old bikes. I still love my old bikes and ride them but this one definitely rides better than they do...

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/100_3985_blowup.jpg

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#5 2012-02-14 11:11am

ncmalko1
Pro Member
Bikes: 15

I have a sweet Hutch XL24 with TiMag Hubs, 24 inch black ACS Z rims and all the goodies including grips. I simply would not ride a pair of Aerospeeds. I got the new repop ones so I can ride that bike everyday. Thats my rider and the repop aerospeed are perfect for a guy like me. Thats if he ever send them:(

Let's go Philadelpha Eagles!

#6 2012-02-14 11:15am

jumpin jim
Pro Member

looptailnut wrote:

G A Y

I ride my old stuff.

No need to tell us your preference. My reason is it makes sense, it saves you money. Understand?

#7 2012-02-14 12:54pm

Capt. Nemo
SE Racing Addict
Bikes: 49

jumpin jim wrote:

So you can ride it, instead of look at it The stuff available in the early 80's is a cinch to reproduce, and improve on. So why not buy one and use it?

It isn't always about "riding" for some people.

Some just like to collect.

Collectors don't like/want repop stuff. Never have. Never will.

Some people enjoy riding the vintage stuff, too. No rules say you can't. It feels more like "home" for them.

I enjoy the retro stuff. But I don't need exact repops of OG stuff. There is a difference, ya know.

I don't like it when people confuse the two. Why make an EXACT replica when you CAN improve on it?

A repop is an exact replica. A retro item is inspired by the past, but improved on. BIG difference.

I don't think you need to be a collector to sympathize with the notion of repops being "bad" for the hobby.

Just like most collectors understand why some hobbyests preffer retro items.

It's that gray area that people get grumpy about.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us"...

And I'll look down and whisper "no".

#8 2012-02-14 1:08pm

Coco

looptailnut wrote:

G A Y

I ride my old stuff.

I ride my old stuff. No problems with my 170 LB ass tearing around on my cruisers. My road bike is new but my BMX bikes are all old timey. I do roll on new tires, tubes, chains and cables. There is also the odd new part like Ti spindles for my old Profile cranks and White Industries freewheel. Other than that it is all NOS or lightly used original parts,

Last edited by Coco (2012-02-14 1:19pm)

#9 2012-02-14 1:10pm

ChrisHunt
Pro Member
Website

Capt. Nemo wrote:

jumpin jim wrote:

Some people enjoy riding the vintage stuff, too. No rules say you can't. It feels more like "home" for them.

I enjoy the retro stuff. But I don't need exact repops of OG stuff. There is a difference, ya know.

I don't like it when people confuse the two. Why make an EXACT replica when you CAN improve on it?

A repop is an exact replica. A retro item is inspired by the past, but improved on. BIG difference.

I don't think you need to be a collector to sympathize with the notion of repops being "bad" for the hobby.

Re-Poping is what keeps many hobbiest/collector's "HOBBY" alive in many, many ways.  Just look at the muscle car hobby.  If they didn't "re-pop" quarter panels....  you would be left with "X" amount of cars and "X" amount of hobbiest.

Experts know "original"....  they'll always be levels of "numbers matching" or "all original" or "restored".  Re-Pops have their place - believe me - they do.  They help the sport/hobby... keep it going...

82-86 NBL / Freestyl'n 83-86

#10 2012-02-14 1:13pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
For Sale: 6

jumpin jim wrote:

looptailnut wrote:

G A Y

I ride my old stuff.

No need to tell us your preference. My reason is it makes sense, it saves you money. Understand?

heh, but your thread title was a question.
.. so you kinda do want to know other peoples preferences smile

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#11 2012-02-14 1:16pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member
For Sale: 20

same reason i have a real wife.

i could buy a plastic replica of a woman and it would be much easier, cheaper, much less work, never compalin, etc..... but it would be LAME! wink

same thing with phony bmx gear.

some guys like fake gear and some like real gear from the era that the pretend stuff replicates.

comes down to personal integrity to me.

now this is where some members start to call me names. lol

flame on. cool

unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

#12 2012-02-14 1:20pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member

ChrisHunt wrote:

Capt. Nemo wrote:

jumpin jim wrote:

Re-Poping is what keeps many hobbiest/collector's "HOBBY" alive in many, many ways.  Just look at the muscle car hobby.  If they didn't "re-pop" quarter panels....  you would be left with "X" amount of cars and "X" amount of hobbiest.

Experts know "original"....  they'll always be levels of "numbers matching" or "all original" or "restored".  Re-Pops have their place - believe me - they do.  They help the sport/hobby... keep it going...

the flaw in your theory is this.....muscle cars are 40 to 50 years old. bmx gear is only 20 to 25 years out of production. there is still plenty of real bmx gear to be had at very reasonable prices.

fake bmx gear is for the short sighted and impatient "collectors". lets keep it real guys. nobody is competitively racing on this reproduction junk. plenty of guys showing it at bike shows as if it's even worth viewing though.

Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

#13 2012-02-14 1:24pm

Coco

vintage chromoly wrote:

now this is where some members start to call me names.

Jerk.

lol

I hear where you are coming from. I have a similar mind set but I have to buy repro or new for the odd part here and there since I ride my bikes regularly. I'm not rolling on $200, 30 year old, crusty comp III's or use era correct cables and housing. Everything else will be original.

I've been impatient, bought a repro part but I ended up selling it to get the real thing anyway.

Last edited by Coco (2012-02-14 1:26pm)

#14 2012-02-14 1:27pm

ChrisHunt
Pro Member
Website

vintage chromoly wrote:

ChrisHunt wrote:

Capt. Nemo wrote:

the flaw in your theory is this.....muscle cars are 40 to 50 years old. bmx gear is only 20 to 25 years out of production. there is still plenty of real bmx gear to be had at very reasonable prices.

fake bmx gear is for the short sighted and impatient "collectors". lets keep it real guys. nobody is competitively racing on this reproduction junk. plenty of guys showing it at bike shows as if it's even worth viewing though.

When it comes to restoring cars - I've seen 20 year old cars needing a lot of work.  LOL.

Since you understand the idea of re-popping / restoring older cars /etc.  If there is "money" to keep the sport/hobby alive it's good.  If Pork Chop BMX makes a re-pop of somethig and sells it - he can sponsor other events promoting BMX, etc.

I've got some pretty rare and special bikes in my collection and some just "ok" bikes...  I have some of those "re-pop" brakes on two of them.  It wasn't worth it for NOS $500 per set for each bike.  I'm happy.  Like I said any expert will be able to tell the old from the re-pop.

Last edited by ChrisHunt (2012-02-14 1:28pm)

#15 2012-02-14 1:28pm

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
Bikes: 5
For Sale: 9
Website

This is where everybody starts talking about cars.

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

#16 2012-02-14 1:29pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member

also, let dispell the myth that one cannot ride an old bike!

nonsense! i've ridden most of my collection and it has held up fine. very strange. big_smile

#17 2012-02-14 1:31pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member

itsdug wrote:

yep. really bad comparison! apples and oranges, so to speak. neutral

anything to justify buying fake gear. hmm

#18 2012-02-14 1:31pm

goosta
Centurion Member
Bikes: 1

people who hoarded the real stuff always hate the repops....but thats what they get for hoarding the real stuff...

they created their own prison

Its not the years...its the mileage

#19 2012-02-14 1:32pm

gsxr141
Museum Addict
Bikes: 9
Website

why not?

#20 2012-02-14 1:34pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member

goosta wrote:

people who hoarded the real stuff always hate the repops....but thats what they get for hoarding the real stuff...

this makes absolutely no sense! if anything, real gear is more sought after as time goes by as it gets used up with each passing day. you can flood the world with phony parts and that does not change the availability of authentic gear!

#21 2012-02-14 1:36pm

RyanPartridge
Pro Member26" Cruisin' with a Coaster Brake
Bikes: 13

In my opinion, the folks that collect authentic vintage BMX stuff don't care if Porkchop sells repop parts and uses some of the money to promote BMX. Collectors of real historical BMX do so for reasons other than promoting modern or retro BMX.

I build bikes with real parts. I don't pay top dollar for NOS, I like to build with used parts and on occasion score some small NOS part for a good price. That's just my style. smile

#22 2012-02-14 1:36pm

ChrisHunt
Pro Member
Website

vintage chromoly wrote:

itsdug wrote:

You don't know much about collecting economics...

Re-popping is a natural progression of healthy collecting development.  It develops class values and hierarchy to stabilize growth.

#23 2012-02-14 1:43pm

ChrisHunt
Pro Member
Website

vintage chromoly wrote:

goosta wrote:

this makes absolutely no sense! if anything, real gear is more sought after as time goes by as it gets used up with each passing day. you can flood the world with phony parts and that does not change the availability of authentic gear!

This is true

#24 2012-02-14 1:45pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member

ChrisHunt wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

itsdug wrote:

You don't know much about collecting economics...

Re-popping is a natural progression of healthy collecting development.  It develops class values and hierarchy to stabilize growth.

i know a few things about collectibles. wink

i've been in the bmx game for over a decade now and i've been active in the car hobby since 1986.

i see that you just signed up a little over a year ago and, as such, yu don't know any different. understandable, for sure.

as i said, apples to oranges. big_smile

#25 2012-02-14 1:55pm

gsxr141
Museum Addict
Bikes: 9
Website

why risk driving a priceless musclecar, when you can build a replica for much less? it will look the same, perform much better and cost a lot less. plus, you can drive it without worrying about ruining it's value.

Board footer

View Cart →