You are not logged in.

1980 Mongoose Motomag  RSS Feed

#1 2012-01-31 12:05am

farmboy
Pro Memberzen aspirationalist
Bikes: 15

1980 Mongoose Motomag

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/imgp2681.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/imgp2682.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/imgp2683.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/imgp2655.jpg

1980 Mongoose Motomag

My childhood bike..

My Grammy bought me this bike for my 11th birthday, January 1980, at Al's Bike Shop in Joliet, IL. we had gone in that day to buy upgraded parts for a cheap bike I had purchased at a police auction. The total for parts was nearly as much as a new bike, so she let me pick this out instead. Gram always rocked! I think we paid 210.00 for this, I know it was right around there.. Anyway, I was so stoked! I remember going for a ride in the snow that very day, and how it still had that awesome new-bike smell even in the cold and wet.

I rode the wheels off this thing; ramps, trail riding, countless crashes and wipe-outs, and I can't even say how many lakes I jumped it into, including off of 20'+ cliffs down at the Brandon Road Quarry.. I even took it with me when I was a summer camp lifeguard/counselor after high school. It then sat in Gram's basement for 20-odd years until early 2010, when I finally brought it home to clean it up and refurbish it. I club race motorcycles with CCS, and I wanted to use it as my pit bike for a few reasons. Most tracks now charge a nominal fee for motorized pit bikes, so I figured I'd save a few bucks, while getting free exercise, and cruising around on an awesome old ride to boot. Mission accomplished: I've lost 20+ lbs (I now ride my bikes all over town, too), and people love this bike, more so than any of my others. I think Mongooses were so popular everyone still recognizes them; I guess mainstream isn't so bad after all, huh? Anyway,it was in fairly good shape after all those years - Gram taught me, among other things, the importance of running a good dehumidifier in the basement. I polished the nickel up by hand with a bit of Mothers and more than a few Newcastles, and the rest cleaned up just as easily.
Parts original to the bike are:frame (CI 0 serial)forkTuff 2sAshtab cranks (165s)Mongoose stamped headset and bottom bracket1020 Dia Compe caliper (dated 7/79)
Original upgrade parts purchased with money earned mowing (many) lawns:Race Inc. bars (original decal)Tech3 DC lever (hated the prebent)DC hinged seatclampViscount AeroTioga/Takagi stamped spider and chainwheelDID nickel chainSR double bump stem (traded Kevin Graham a generic double clamp for this..)
I still also have the (bent) red anno seat post, cable, HTI pedals, and snakebellys from the bike - check out those tires; think I got my moneys worth from those? The red/white B1B's didn't survive the years; they were mush, and besides, I had taken the trashed sleeves off decades ago. I bought the repop A'mes in Petaluma, CA, while on vacation, so I thought that was cool. Also, the current seat post is actually a replacement clip-on bar for the race bikes, which I thought was fitting as well. The decals are repop, and I know they aren't correct for the year, but I had of course taken off the original decals BITD, (I hated the Motomag sticker; a buddy got a Supergoose soon after I got this. His dad was a doctor, and he was pretty much a dbag about his bike being better than mine..) and I like how the "gold" set plays off the gold anno components. I put the Odyssey Aitkins on as they are the closest (modern) tire I found to approximate the old snakebellys; moreover, they can run up to 100 psi, which really lets me fly around town (I have Odysseys on all my bikes now.) The ride is pretty awesome and tight, if a little heavy and cramped (even for me, a full grown midget at 5'6" and 150#..)
Like I said, people go ape over this bike, more so than any of my others. The guys at the track flipped out when I brought it there, and many of them now ride their old bmx bikes around the pits now too. I'm so happy to own this awesome piece of my childhood. I think of Gram every time I even look at it; she really was the best ever, and we were always really close - everyone knew I was her favorite, no lie. She passed away just last spring, at 96 (!!) - she was just as tough as this old Goose.
Class acts, the both of them.

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

Self Appointed Assistant Associate Treasurer of the 44t Fan Booster Club, Western Division.

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. On and on, 'til the break of dawn.

#2 2012-01-31 12:48am

johnng23604
U seen my "baseball"
Bikes: 44
Website

Re: 1980 Mongoose Motomag

Nice lookin goose and a cool Gram!

I'm looking for the following frames, frame & forks or completes by BMX products:
MotoTrac (nickle or chrome), Racer-X or a Super-X (with the double gussets).
Thanks wink
I'm also johnng23604 at "Retro-goose", "VintageBMX" & "RADbmx"

#3 2012-01-31 1:40am

erdalicious
Pro MemberPsycho Silence
Bikes: 37

cool

WTB: * NOS Oakley F1 grips black/yellow * KKT FMX/LMX Pedals * Skyway Tuff Graphite pedals/cages * NOS Oakley 2 red right side only * NOS Oakley 1 red left side only * NOS chrome KKT FMX left side pedal 9/16

#4 2012-01-31 6:37am

staatsrider11
Bikes: 5

great story!

#5 2012-01-31 1:46pm

Bmxbooger
Pro Member
Bikes: 20

Very cool bike:cool: Even cooler that it IS your childhood bike!  big_smile

Always looking for Cook Bros. stuff, vintage SE stuff,  MCS 6 bolt Super stems,  and Race Inc. Leading Edge/Cycle Pro/BMX innovations 20" forks.  All NOS or in very nice condition.

#6 2012-01-31 3:11pm

nycet3
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

great story, man. so cool that you still have the bike. looks great.

"Ride it like you're riding after the dude who stole it."

Looking for a USA-made pre 1981 Redline MXII f/f with original black paint and decals.

#7 2012-01-31 3:58pm

farmboy
Pro Memberzen aspirationalist
Bikes: 15

Thanks guys.

Pretty lucky that I do still have it, it was almost stolen once.. I went into a drug store, didn't lock it up (I almost always did) and when I came out it was gone. I remembered seeing these 2 kids fighting across the street and stopping when I rode by; one of them started across the street after me. Sure enough, he grabbed it. Just as I started freaking out, up pulls this car, and lo, there was my bike in the front seat. There was a Harley dealership, Conrad's   HD (LOL, it was this tiny little storefront. Conrad's is still in Joliet, but it's out on I 55 now, and it's huge, like 250,000 sf. How times change..) and the woman was Mrs. Conrad herself. She was pulling out to go home, saw the whole thing, and chased that dirtbag down and took my bike back. I couldn't even believe how lucky I was, and man oh man was I ever grateful.

Only had one other bike stolen from me, a mountain bike down at U of I. Somebody climbed up on our balcony to snag it. I was pissed, it was a value brand Trek had, I don't remember what it was, but it was nice enough. I sure wasn't attached to it like this bike, though. I'd like to catch a bike thief these days just to pass along some appropriate justice..

I'll keep this one forever. Funny, I think about it, and I wonder if any of these bikes will be worth much in another 20 years. Think about it; I figure the only reason they're so valuable now is that we're all middle aged (or at least approaching it) with a fair amount of disposable income and trying to relive our youth. I don't have kids, so I wonder who'll even want this when I'm gone. However, I plan on living another 50 years, so we'll probably be out of gas and back in the Stone Age by then, and I'm sure these bikes will all be priceless once again..

Self Appointed Assistant Associate Treasurer of the 44t Fan Booster Club, Western Division.

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. On and on, 'til the break of dawn.

#8 2012-01-31 4:52pm

nycet3
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

Have a kid.

"Ride it like you're riding after the dude who stole it."

Looking for a USA-made pre 1981 Redline MXII f/f with original black paint and decals.

#9 2012-02-05 11:16am

Argon01
Museum Newbie

Good story.  I only have my frame from those days.  I'm looking to restore it, but sorry that I don't have all the original parts.

#10 2013-01-08 11:45pm

getwheels
Pro Member44T Prince Regent
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 60

Thanks for sharing your story and a tribute on a classy lady. . . . reminds me of someone I miss dearly in my life. cool

Old-Mid-New School it's ALL COOL... Racing- 80's, idle-90's, now Cruzin' 24's & 20's & Yes I roll on Graphites. 
Your Tail Gate Keeper to Grillie G's BBQ    44T Chicago Factory Support Rider & fellow OGOAR-Swap Dweller

In search of JMC serial #'s DY8479 & 84C8855.....

Wanted: Better paying  job in order to further support BMX habit ....

Board footer

View Cart →