You are not logged in.

Just curious.....why the vertical seat?  RSS Feed

#26 2012-01-03 1:21pm

deveus33
Pro MemberMini Hoder
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 3

Re: Just curious.....why the vertical seat?

i franking love this quote ..............

i keep it real          minty minty minty minty minty minty minty minty minty  my bikes can beat up your bikes
this era is better than the one you like because i said so. thats the time you rode so it must be better right??
only those 4 years of bmx matter, everything else must be crap.
F.Y.I. alot of you old school guys are very hostile to other bmxers- we should be uniting,not segregating

I Want To Play A Game

#27 2012-01-03 1:48pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

deveus33 wrote:

F.Y.I. alot of you old school guys are very hostile to other bmxers- we should be uniting,not segregating

No way, I've "never" seen hostility from an old school guy...

Oh your bike doesn't have a scratch on it? 

Tell me again what the best parts are.

#28 2012-01-03 1:56pm

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Bikes: 19
Website

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_wo2yY0rNIA/Tu7E-ZefLAI/AAAAAAAABMw/ymbW-5weW8I/s1600/throwing+bike.JPG

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#29 2012-01-03 2:00pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

v0lum3 wrote:

deveus33 wrote:

nor from a new school guy. lol

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#30 2012-01-03 5:14pm

THE FUN PALACE
The Dawn Patrol
Bikes: 3
Website

You shouldn't even be sitting on your seat, you stand up when you ride bikes...unless your lazy...

MADE IN U.S.A.
[img]http://www.lemonrock.com/bandpics/picbandphoto25700_200267_purplecobraslogo2415.jpg[/img]
Thermal count is rising, In perpetual writhing. The primordial ooze, And the sanity they lose. Awakened in the morning, To more air pollution warnings. Still we sleepwalk off to work, While our nervous systems jerk. Pretending not to notice, How history had forebode us. With the green house in effect, Our environment was wrecked. Now, I can only laugh, As I read our epitaph. We end our lives as moles, In the dark of DAWN PATROL   
RUST IN PEACE

#31 2012-01-03 5:20pm

spyker
Pro MemberDr. of Thuganonics

deveus33 wrote:

i keep it real          minty minty minty minty minty minty minty minty minty  my bikes can beat up your bikes
this era is better than the one you like because i said so. thats the time you rode so it must be better right??
only those 4 years of bmx matter, everything else must be crap.

In most cases,segragation is the only way to keep the piece,when all else fails.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
Lying cheating untrustworthy scamming livestock screwing woman beating ugly crater face racist snitch!

#32 2012-01-03 5:46pm

iamtim
Pro Memberterribly vexed
Bikes: 6

It's obviously to help bowel control if you are out on the road and find you gotta go.  Just sit down and plug that shit up!  big_smile

On a different note...

deveus33 wrote:

I look at some of the new school styles and fads (like brake-less, and slammed seats) and I can't help but let loose with a giggle of superiority.  That said, I totally respect the skills of new school BMXers and wish I had half the talent on a bike that they do.

I don't ride a BMX bike to look cool to others, I do it because it's fun and never do I think "Boy I sure am cool on my BMX bike."
- Capt. Nemo

#33 2012-01-03 5:58pm

jay brand
Pro MemberHomeless Bikes Nut
Website

Im still laughing at how this pointy seat thing is something new. Its been going on since front wheel tricks were invented, along with brakeless riding (been happening on a pro level for 2 decades now) and we all bag on the kids in the skinny jeans these days but take a look back at your school photos and spot those nut hugger shorts and skin tight acid washed Levi's 501 button fly jeans lol Its all pretty much the same as it ever was.

The devil said "Scratch my back and I'll scratch your back for sure"

#34 2012-01-03 6:00pm

mark.fitzpatrick
Pro Member
Bikes: 29

I always raced with mine up high until I got sucked between the back tire and the seat.
I now ride it high around the block and slam it on the track.

Most kids slam theirs as a matter of style. period.

#35 2012-01-03 6:24pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

jay brand wrote:

Im still laughing at how this pointy seat thing is something new. Its been going on since front wheel tricks were invented, along with brakeless riding (been happening on a pro level for 2 decades now) and we all bag on the kids in the skinny jeans these days but take a look back at your school photos and spot those nut hugger shorts and skin tight acid washed Levi's 501 button fly jeans lol Its all pretty much the same as it ever was.

To be honest, I believe the problem is most OS guys didn't really ride their bikes back then.  Except for barspin tricks, there was no need to have your seat up high, unless all you ever did was sit on it (which is what I think most guys did, and I apologize if that offends anyone, I know there are some riders out there, but for the most part I rarely see them) Plenty of old school riders figured out that it becomes a danger and dropped it low, slammed seats have NEVER been a new concept, neither has brakeless. 

These guys think it's a fad because everyone does it now, and they can't possibly understand why anyone wouldn't want their seat up their azz. 

Not to say that every person didn't ride, but most of them didn't.  Just like how a lot of OS guys are shocked to find out their idols from when they were younger don't give a crap about OS bikes, and they're all riding NS bikes if they still ride.  People who really ride look for function before style, people who pedal around look for style before function. 

lol, the funny thing is that now the posers that just pedal around want to slam their seats to fit in... to me they have a lot more in common with the OS guys who popped their seats up high than the OS dudes will ever admit wink

The funny thing is that the "fad" of raising your seat up and throwing on front and back brakes has gone out of style and now you have all these OS guys whining that the new "fad" isn't as good. 

IMO, they all just need to quit worrying about everyone else and just go ride their bike, their way.

#36 2012-01-03 6:32pm

Johnnny
Website

v0lum3 wrote:

IMO, they all just need to quit worrying about everyone else and just go ride their bike, their way.

Take your own advice.

#37 2012-01-03 6:37pm

iamtim
Pro Memberterribly vexed

v0lum3 wrote:

To be honest, I believe the problem is most OS guys didn't really ride their bikes back then.

That depends on what you consider riding.  I was a racer and I ran my seat up fairly high (If I remember correctly, I set it so that it was an inch or so under my crotch when I was standing over the seat), but that was because we'd actually use the seat in a race; we'd sometimes sit down around berms and use it to control the bike (by clinching the seat with the inner thighs) over jumps. 

If you meant freestyling, you're probably right.  I didn't do much freestyling, save the occasional foot or curb endo, or some 180s on a buddy's quarter-pipe (I never went over the lip, though, heh.)  My recollection is that the freestylers ran seats at the same height, though, even after the dedicated freestyle bikes came out.  I can tell you that NO ONE back in my day - racer or freestyler - ran seats as low as they are run today.

v0lum3 wrote:

Plenty of old school riders figured out that it becomes a danger and dropped it low

You must be talking about a newer old school than I rode.  smile  Many, many people ran drainpipe or laid-back seatposts... you physically can't slam those as low as seats are ran today.

(All this said, in another post where I snickered at the slammed seats I said I've got nothing but respect for new school riders and their skills, and I wish I was half as skilled.  I stand by that.)

I don't ride a BMX bike to look cool to others, I do it because it's fun and never do I think "Boy I sure am cool on my BMX bike."
- Capt. Nemo

#38 2012-01-03 6:41pm

THE FUN PALACE
The Dawn Patrol
Bikes: 3
Website

Johnnny wrote:

v0lum3 wrote:

Take your own advice.

V0lum3 makes a very good point

MADE IN U.S.A.
[img]http://www.lemonrock.com/bandpics/picbandphoto25700_200267_purplecobraslogo2415.jpg[/img]
Thermal count is rising, In perpetual writhing. The primordial ooze, And the sanity they lose. Awakened in the morning, To more air pollution warnings. Still we sleepwalk off to work, While our nervous systems jerk. Pretending not to notice, How history had forebode us. With the green house in effect, Our environment was wrecked. Now, I can only laugh, As I read our epitaph. We end our lives as moles, In the dark of DAWN PATROL   
RUST IN PEACE

#39 2012-01-03 6:54pm

jbrown1168
"Modsterbater"
Bikes: 25

Guilty as charged. I don't know why I did it on my 98 dyno but i stand up when I ride,  its a little easier to move around on it that way now that I think about it. Check my bikes and make fun of me now. big_smile

It's all for sale. Chrome frames suck. Real men rock reflectors.

Text me pictures for repair work. It's the easy way to get ahold of me. 8124997173

#TOPSHELFBMX

I'm sometimes a slow shipper, three kids and a business. Sorry for any delays.

#40 2012-01-03 7:16pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

Johnnny wrote:

v0lum3 wrote:

Take your own advice.

I do, every day wink

You've never heard me call out someone for their seat being high, or low, or odd, unless it was completely non-functional.  I could care less whether people have it up their azz or by their ankles.  And I don't start threads saying things like "I don't understand why some other person rides their bike this way."

#41 2012-01-03 7:25pm

63v-dub
Pro MemberHi my name is Chris, and I am a Bike-a-holic
Bikes: 31

v0lum3 wrote:

deveus33 wrote:

Im not hostile, just making jokes

@ v0lum3, missed ya on the rides this weekend,

Last edited by 63v-dub (2012-01-03 7:26pm)

Addiction? what Addiction? I'm not Addicted! Damn i keep buying  parts.             
[img]http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/orjr101/bw-sanD-faction.gif[/img]

#42 2012-01-03 7:25pm

robk131313
Admin*Mr. Vacation*
Bikes: 8

Doesn't look like the OP was "calling out" anyone to me. smile

Hope everyone had a great new year!

F/S section rules
Become a Pro Member
STUFF I NEED
LADIES 26" CRUISER FRAME SET. LAGUNA, S&S, ETC.

#43 2012-01-03 7:34pm

Johnnny
Website

v0lum3 wrote:

Johnnny wrote:

v0lum3 wrote:

Take your own advice.

I do, every day wink

You've never heard me call out someone for their seat being high, or low, or odd, unless it was completely non-functional.  I could care less whether people have it up their azz or by their ankles.  And I don't start threads saying things like "I don't understand why some other person rides their bike this way."

He was asking why not calling out:

TheBigKahuna wrote:

I don't recall ever wanting or needing my seat to point nearly straight up.....so I'm curious why so many kids now ride with their seat pointing nearly vertical?

No you don't, you are stirring the pot:

v0lum3 wrote:

I believe the problem is most OS guys didn't really ride their bikes back then.  Except for barspin tricks, there was no need to have your seat up high, unless all you ever did was sit on it (which is what I think most guys did, and I apologize if that offends anyone.

These guys think it's a fad because everyone does it now, and they can't possibly understand why anyone wouldn't want their seat up their azz. 

Not to say that every person didn't ride, but most of them didn't.

lol, the funny thing is that now the posers that just pedal around want to slam their seats to fit in... to me they have a lot more in common with the OS guys who popped their seats up high than the OS dudes will ever admit wink

The funny thing is that the "fad" of raising your seat up and throwing on front and back brakes has gone out of style and now you have all these OS guys whining that the new "fad" isn't as good. 

#44 2012-01-03 7:36pm

capt.shred
Pro Member
Bikes: 34
For Sale: 3

Better penetration.  Duh...

#45 2012-01-03 7:45pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

63v-dub wrote:

v0lum3 wrote:

deveus33 wrote:

Im not hostile, just making jokes

@ v0lum3, missed ya on the rides this weekend,

lol, I've been busy on Sundays with the Holidays, my roommate feels it's her duty to keep me busy since I'm away from home.  But this Sunday I should be good tongue

#46 2012-01-03 7:54pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

Johnnny wrote:

If you look, before I "stirred the pot" so to speak, I answered the OP's question with the reason riders put their seats in this orientation, 'member: 

v0lum3 wrote:

Hang 5's.

with the seat pointed up, when your feet are on the pegs, and the seat pops into your "seat" it fits correctly.

also, biometrics a bit too.

Then the thread devolved into jokes implying that NS riders are homosexual you know, like this: 

Apparently, saying NS guys take it up the ass is A-Okay, but implying old fogies making the insinuations don't actually ride their bikes crosses the line. 

It's all good though, I don't mind that you don't like me wink

#47 2012-01-03 8:08pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

iamtim wrote:

You must be talking about a newer old school than I rode.  smile  Many, many people ran drainpipe or laid-back seatposts... you physically can't slam those as low as seats are ran today.

(All this said, in another post where I snickered at the slammed seats I said I've got nothing but respect for new school riders and their skills, and I wish I was half as skilled.  I stand by that.)

That's quite true, I've seen tons of old pictures w/ laidbacks and seats in butts, but I've also seen pics with slammed seats and people who cut off seat posts, although I can't speak from personal experience as I didn't ride in the 80's of course, but I know a few old riders who still ride today who have pics of their posts chopped off and slammed (or at least close  to slammed) I also know when I first started riding in the late 90's that a lot of guys slammed their posts and rode brakeless.  And of course there's always the legend of brakeless riders: Mat Hoffman. 

It's funny that I wind up seeing a ton of threads mentioning how NS riders should respect and appreciate Mat, and then a bunch of threads bashing NS riders for riding without brakes...  Not that I'm saying anyone has done both or anything, I just think it's entertaining to notice.

#48 2012-01-03 8:27pm

iamtim
Pro Memberterribly vexed

I tell you what... once I get done with the two bikes I'm working on now, I really want to get a new-school bike with which I can thrash around on the streets and whatnot.  I will run brakes because I think brake-less is silly, but I'll run the seat low for sure.

- Capt. Nemo

#49 2012-01-03 8:33pm

Johnnny
Website

v0lum3 wrote:

Johnnny wrote:

If you look, before I "stirred the pot" so to speak, I answered the OP's question with the reason riders put their seats in this orientation, 'member: 

v0lum3 wrote:

Hang 5's.

with the seat pointed up, when your feet are on the pegs, and the seat pops into your "seat" it fits correctly.

also, biometrics a bit too.

Then the thread devolved into jokes implying that NS riders are homosexual you know, like this: 

Apparently, saying NS guys take it up the ass is A-Okay, but implying old fogies making the insinuations don't actually ride their bikes crosses the line. 

It's all good though, I don't mind that you don't like me wink

Don't try make it like I go around bashing new school riders. roll
It's got nothing to do with your old school vs new school pointless, useless debate that you love getting into. I'd make that joke to my own flesh and blood brother, my father, real life friends or about myself. We would all laugh.
Lighten up. All I see is you fishing for drama like a troll... I'll leave you too it and let you have the last word. I'll just sit back and watch.

#50 2012-01-03 9:07pm

v0lum3
Museum Addict

Johnnny wrote:

Don't try make it like I go around bashing new school riders. roll
It's got nothing to do with your old school vs new school pointless, useless debate that you love getting into. I'd make that joke to my own flesh and blood brother, my father, real life friends or about myself. We would all laugh.
Lighten up. All I see is you fishing for drama like a troll... I'll leave you too it and let you have the last word. I'll just sit back and watch.

lol, go ride your bike, dawg.

Board footer

View Cart →