You are not logged in.

PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....  RSS Feed

#51 2012-02-22 6:18pm

RacenJason
Pro Member
From: Central, IL
Registered: 2010-09-10
Posts: 1381
Bikes: 1

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

quick2 wrote:

RacenJason wrote:

Can he do it without removing stickers? I have one I started  cleaning with Never Dull, and it looks good. That really looks nice. I don't want to put new stickers on it.

I'm not sure, but I doubt it would work, I'm pretty sure the decals would get destroyed.  I understand that you want to keep the OG decals.....that's a tough choice......og decals or correct finish......I wish you could see this in person next to a polished frame so that you could make your decision.   mine was an easy decision since it had the wrong decals on it when I got it smile

I have one that looks to have been polished at some point. They put new down tube sticker on it. Yours look GREAT.


WANTING OG Race Inc, FMF, and PK Ripper Looptails

Offline

 

#52 2012-02-22 6:24pm

bboygraphix
Pro Member
From: California
Registered: 2009-01-15
Posts: 547
Bikes: 11

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

quick2 wrote:

streetfreak wrote:

great post, is there a link or web site.

Here's a link for their website:
http://1800deburring.com/Home.html

The guys name is Kelly, and like I said, he's been doing frame for SE for over 30 years, so he knows what he's doing, and he took excellent care of my frame smile

Holy crepe!  That shop is less than two blocks from my parents house where I grew up!  I might stop by to drop off a frame.  Anyone know if Nomuras were polished or ball burnished back in the day?  I have a repaired frame that needs finishing.


looking for:
20" cyclepro snakebelly tires, oakley b-2 grips, sst seatpost decal, a'me unitron grips (any color), dk freestyle stem with platform

Offline

 

#53 2012-02-22 6:26pm

quick2
Pro MemberPaul thinks he's Schwinning but I already Schwonn
From: Detroit 44T
Registered: 2010-02-21
Posts: 6009
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 2

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

RacenJason wrote:

quick2 wrote:

RacenJason wrote:

Can he do it without removing stickers? I have one I started  cleaning with Never Dull, and it looks good. That really looks nice. I don't want to put new stickers on it.

I'm not sure, but I doubt it would work, I'm pretty sure the decals would get destroyed.  I understand that you want to keep the OG decals.....that's a tough choice......og decals or correct finish......I wish you could see this in person next to a polished frame so that you could make your decision.   mine was an easy decision since it had the wrong decals on it when I got it smile

I have one that looks to have been polished at some point. They put new down tube sticker on it. Yours look GREAT.

Thanks Jason!!! big_smile
please update us on what you decide to do with yours too smile


Remember....if everyone came to a bike show without a bike, it would just be a bunch of dudes standing around in a park...and that's just creepy!  If you've got one, bring one.  -Me
If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than you are now..  -Master Shifu
*LOOKING FOR GREEN SKYWAY MAGS* A NOS REAR, OR A  NEAR MINT CONDITION PAIR [img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/39961/greenskywaysmall5d0d542f49.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#54 2012-02-22 6:28pm

quick2
Pro MemberPaul thinks he's Schwinning but I already Schwonn
From: Detroit 44T
Registered: 2010-02-21
Posts: 6009
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 2

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

bboygraphix wrote:

quick2 wrote:

streetfreak wrote:

great post, is there a link or web site.

Here's a link for their website:
http://1800deburring.com/Home.html

The guys name is Kelly, and like I said, he's been doing frame for SE for over 30 years, so he knows what he's doing, and he took excellent care of my frame smile

Holy crepe!  That shop is less than two blocks from my parents house where I grew up!  I might stop by to drop off a frame.  Anyone know if Nomuras were polished or ball burnished back in the day?  I have a repaired frame that needs finishing.

Good question!  I hope someone chimes in with an answer to that question.....but I would be willing to be they were burnished.
from what I understand, Kelly is the only one out there with a tub big enough to do bike frames.....you're luck to be so close! big_smile


Remember....if everyone came to a bike show without a bike, it would just be a bunch of dudes standing around in a park...and that's just creepy!  If you've got one, bring one.  -Me
If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than you are now..  -Master Shifu
*LOOKING FOR GREEN SKYWAY MAGS* A NOS REAR, OR A  NEAR MINT CONDITION PAIR [img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/39961/greenskywaysmall5d0d542f49.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#55 2012-02-23 2:01am

Keebler Elf 24"
"The Cookie Tosser".
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2010-03-20
Posts: 896
Bikes: 1

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Pm'ed


Will trade for Vinyl.

Offline

 

#56 2012-02-24 8:42am

84pk
Pro Member
From: NJ
Registered: 2008-01-24
Posts: 4485

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

This is the best restoration discovery I have heard in a while.  Thanks for sharing!  I will definitely keep it in mind for any aluminum frames I get in the future.


WTB:
Black SE pads

Offline

 

#57 2012-02-24 9:46am

jimhrabe
Museum Addict
From: Mokena, IL
Registered: 2008-10-06
Posts: 1117
Bikes: 7

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Pk came out nice


1988 RedLine RL-20 II
1985 SE Racing Quadangle Freestyler
1986 Schwinn Free Form EX

Offline

 

#58 2012-02-24 3:58pm

coasty
Pro Member
From: Queensland, Australia
Registered: 2007-03-25
Posts: 3194
Bikes: 18

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

That came out very nice. That's exactly how I remember getting mine bitd. cool


70's bmx is where it's at.

Offline

 

#59 2012-07-11 9:44am

z-man99
Pro Member
From: PNW
Registered: 2006-05-06
Posts: 392
Bikes: 6

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Thanks for that link.  This is exactly what I've been looking for.

Offline

 

#60 2013-07-02 10:41pm

GXSTAR26Cruiser
Member
From: Santa Barbara, CA
Registered: 2011-12-06
Posts: 65

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

smile I wanna ball burnished my 7c and 7x Araya and anodized them blue !!

Offline

 

#61 2013-07-02 10:52pm

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
From: Nashville
Registered: 2009-03-09
Posts: 17521
Bikes: 5
Website

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Why would you go to the trouble of burnishing them?


BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

Offline

 

#62 2013-07-02 10:55pm

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
From: Nashville
Registered: 2009-03-09
Posts: 17521
Bikes: 5
Website

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Unless they're really beat to shit...


BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

Offline

 

#63 2013-07-03 12:40am

daddy-o
Pro Member
From: dusk to dawn
Registered: 2008-03-01
Posts: 3268
Bikes: 5

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Wow. What a great contact to have. I'm marking this one and I'm in the Los Angeles area as well. Maybe someday I'll get inspired to take them some work. Thanks for posting the info.

Offline

 

#64 2013-07-03 3:37am

BMX KYLE
The Mongoose kid
From: Tonawanda, NY
Registered: 2010-11-20
Posts: 3847
Bikes: 8

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Looks great well done..cool

Offline

 

#65 2013-07-03 8:34am

oldskoolkel
Museum Addict
From: Essex, England
Registered: 2012-02-13
Posts: 1863

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

PK's have always been my favourite...looks awsome, nice job..  cool


1983 Porsche 911 SC,1978 Ford Capri 3.0 xpack
2011 26" OM Flyer, 2010 metal wrap retro looptail PK, 2000 aluminium Mongoose SGX 24".

Offline

 

#66 2013-07-03 9:21am

alainmagana
Pro MemberIn Wonderland
From: Chicago
Registered: 2009-04-18
Posts: 8172
Bikes: 3

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Any updates? A complete bike now? Looks great from what I seen.


Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

Offline

 

#67 2013-07-03 9:31am

King Tusk
Museum Addict
From: Lost Angels, CA
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 1290

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Night and day. Looks amazing. Would like to see a Race Inc. done up like this.
Thanks for the info. Will look them up when it's time to restore my 82 PK.

Offline

 

#68 2013-07-03 11:38am

quick2
Pro MemberPaul thinks he's Schwinning but I already Schwonn
From: Detroit 44T
Registered: 2010-02-21
Posts: 6009
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 2

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

alainmagana wrote:

Any updates? A complete bike now? Looks great from what I seen.

I just dragged it out for some quick pics.  Repop tires and decals, otherwise all NOS or nice OG stuff.  I'm very please with how it came out, the only thing I might change is switching to some metal flange tuff's.
Pardon the deck, Mark and I have been gettin screwed by the weather, just waiting on stain tongue
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/quick2set/IMAG3616_zps6859ad91.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/quick2set/IMAG3615_zps84b08205.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/quick2set/IMAG3614_zps0e04ea55.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/quick2set/IMAG3613_zps06b43dd6.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/quick2set/IMAG3612_zps6090e247.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/quick2set/IMAG3620_zpsdc3e3123.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/quick2set/IMAG3618_zps072010de.jpg
you can appreciate the ball burnished finish on the drops.....if it was polished it would be smooth and mirror like
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/quick2set/IMAG3617_zps19d03eb2.jpg

Last edited by quick2 (2013-07-03 11:39am)


Remember....if everyone came to a bike show without a bike, it would just be a bunch of dudes standing around in a park...and that's just creepy!  If you've got one, bring one.  -Me
If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than you are now..  -Master Shifu
*LOOKING FOR GREEN SKYWAY MAGS* A NOS REAR, OR A  NEAR MINT CONDITION PAIR [img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/39961/greenskywaysmall5d0d542f49.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#69 2013-07-03 11:48am

KoolAidMan
Pro MemberNeomaxizoomdweebie
From: Colorado Springs, CO
Registered: 2011-05-14
Posts: 4290
Bikes: 4

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

quick2 wrote:

alainmagana wrote:

Any updates? A complete bike now? Looks great from what I seen.

I just dragged it out for some quick pics.  Repop tires and decals, otherwise all NOS or nice OG stuff.  I'm very please with how it came out, the only thing I might change is switching to some metal flange tuff's.
Pardon the deck, Mark and I have been gettin screwed by the weather, just waiting on stain tongue
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 59ad91.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … b08205.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 04ea55.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … b43dd6.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 90e247.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 3e3123.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 2010de.jpg
you can appreciate the ball burnished finish on the drops.....if it was polished it would be smooth and mirror like
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … d03eb2.jpg

yikes

OK, I'm a little envious.
Very classy build; it looks like how most of us would like to build it in our respective 1st childhood(s).


The clock struck two, I shot my goo...

Offline

 

#70 2013-07-03 12:06pm

quick2
Pro MemberPaul thinks he's Schwinning but I already Schwonn
From: Detroit 44T
Registered: 2010-02-21
Posts: 6009
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 2

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

KoolAidMan wrote:

quick2 wrote:

alainmagana wrote:

Any updates? A complete bike now? Looks great from what I seen.

I just dragged it out for some quick pics.  Repop tires and decals, otherwise all NOS or nice OG stuff.  I'm very please with how it came out, the only thing I might change is switching to some metal flange tuff's.
Pardon the deck, Mark and I have been gettin screwed by the weather, just waiting on stain tongue
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 59ad91.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … b08205.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 04ea55.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … b43dd6.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 90e247.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 3e3123.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 2010de.jpg
you can appreciate the ball burnished finish on the drops.....if it was polished it would be smooth and mirror like
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … d03eb2.jpg

yikes

OK, I'm a little envious.
Very classy build; it looks like how most of us would like to build it in our respective 1st childhood(s).

Thanks man!!  and based on it's era, I went with the much disrespected V-bars.  They are big Redline bars though, about 26-27" wide, and pretty tall too. at first I doubted them, but now I wouldn't change them....

Last edited by quick2 (2013-07-03 12:07pm)


Remember....if everyone came to a bike show without a bike, it would just be a bunch of dudes standing around in a park...and that's just creepy!  If you've got one, bring one.  -Me
If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than you are now..  -Master Shifu
*LOOKING FOR GREEN SKYWAY MAGS* A NOS REAR, OR A  NEAR MINT CONDITION PAIR [img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/39961/greenskywaysmall5d0d542f49.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#71 2013-07-03 12:13pm

hermes33
Pro Member
From: Detroit, MI
Registered: 2008-09-12
Posts: 3489
Bikes: 7

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

quick2 wrote:

alainmagana wrote:

Any updates? A complete bike now? Looks great from what I seen.

I just dragged it out for some quick pics.  Repop tires and decals, otherwise all NOS or nice OG stuff.  I'm very please with how it came out, the only thing I might change is switching to some metal flange tuff's.
Pardon the deck, Mark and I have been gettin screwed by the weather, just waiting on stain tongue
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 59ad91.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … b08205.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 04ea55.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … b43dd6.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 90e247.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 3e3123.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … 2010de.jpg
you can appreciate the ball burnished finish on the drops.....if it was polished it would be smooth and mirror like
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 … d03eb2.jpg

tonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguebig_smile


1984 schwinn predator p2200 1986 haro group 1 rs2 1986 Schwinn Predator Free Form Z
1986 haro sport & 1986 haro master
1987 schwinn predator free form ex
1988 haro sport 1986 Schwinn Predator Qualifier

Offline

 

#72 2013-07-03 12:16pm

alainmagana
Pro MemberIn Wonderland
From: Chicago
Registered: 2009-04-18
Posts: 8172
Bikes: 3

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Very nice bro big_smile I need those bars wink

Last edited by alainmagana (2013-07-03 12:16pm)


Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

Offline

 

#73 2013-07-03 12:30pm

Erikv
Pro Member
From: Stuart, Florida
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 3361
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 4

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

Wow that came out SWEET.
Ball burnished looks 100X's better then polished, not over done but just right.
I love it, awesome job

Offline

 

#74 2013-07-03 2:05pm

oldskoolkel
Museum Addict
From: Essex, England
Registered: 2012-02-13
Posts: 1863

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

That is sooo cool, love it.


1983 Porsche 911 SC,1978 Ford Capri 3.0 xpack
2011 26" OM Flyer, 2010 metal wrap retro looptail PK, 2000 aluminium Mongoose SGX 24".

Offline

 

#75 2013-07-03 3:10pm

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
From: Nashville
Registered: 2009-03-09
Posts: 17521
Bikes: 5
Website

Re: PK Ripper done PROPER!! Good info inside.....

disrespected V-bars?


BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →