1987 Haro Team Master

#1 2007-12-26 9:15am

xtremevert
Pro MemberThe Gate Keeper
Bikes: 19

1987 Haro Team Master

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/1987_haro_master_frame_and_forks_002.jpg

1987 Haro Team Master

I thought I would post what I have done so far. I've done more since this particular photo but here is a picture of the frame and fork restoration. I changed the color scheme to blue/black/chrome instead. I guess after looking at the 1988 Haro Product Catalog it's painted like the 88's were. Since I have 3 more decal sets I'm considering getting the fork re-chromed to make it like the actual 87's. I'm pretty happy with the finished product. It turned out really well. Instead of fading the powder coat I used heat tape instead which was a 2 part process. The head tube was first then masked again for the body color. I had to do this because of the decal set. It's printed on clear vinyl. Which if you think about it is way easier to work with because I never had to match powder and vinyl colors. I just went with the color I wanted. Since the photo I got rid of the brake plate and decided to go with an original Nippon instead and bought some original NOS forkstanders for the fork as well. The frame has been well used. The seat post tube has been rewelded and both fork dropouts have been rewelded. Even the bars were rewelded but they were way to noticeable so I bought new ones instead which will be rechromed and powdered with fresh decals. Luckily the welder did a very nice job on the seat post tube and fork dropouts so they are barely noticeable after the powder was applied. I must say that is the most rewarding bike I've built yet. It has been a lot of fun and it's totally cool that there is a site like this one to be able share it. Great idea Gary, this site rocks!

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

#2 2007-12-26 2:44pm

wraith81
Museum Addict
Bikes: 9

Re: 1987 Haro Team Master

this is one of my most favourit bikes in the world awsome job man im stoked, only hope oneday i get one for my self, i recently picked up an old school redline 240 at a garage sale for $30. its in good nick do you have a ruff idea on what is worth,cheers

----- !!!!!DONT THINK FEEEEEEEEL!!!!! -----
             ----- I NEED -----   
----- FREESTYLE FORKLIFTER BARS -------
---------- RL240 frestyle decals.-----------

#3 2007-12-26 4:15pm

chromey
Pro MemberObi-Wan Chromey
Bikes: 17

I used the same decal set for this build/rider.

The decals are kinda crappy (brittle, yellowed clear areas - and Horrible letter spacing, not to mention Grey ink instead of Silver)- BUT look good enough when applied to the 2-tone paint job.

I'm happy with my bike as an oldschool rider.. but I don't think I'd use these decals on a genuine rebuild/restore.

http://verydesign.net/bmx/groundmaster.jpg

— — — — —
"every move is like a lightning..."

#4 2007-12-26 8:20pm

polanco
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 127
Website

Is that a 92 ground master?or a zippo from later on?wait,I think the ground masters had rear peg holes,right?dope finish,matt!

#5 2007-12-26 10:00pm

xtremevert

So Chromey, where did you you get your decals from?  I got mine overseas.  I know what you mean about the yellowing of the decal (backing paper)?  Only the backing paper was yellow and aged on mine.  It's funny because I became pretty good friends with the seller and he gave me another 3 sets for free!  2 more blue and a red.  I'm not sure if I'll ever use them but I guess they'll be good back ups.  Talk to dd4130 for your sprocket.  If you need a repro he's getting them made up as we speak and will have them done by the end of Jan.  I like the decals on clear vinyl more though because you don't have to match the powder to vinyl color which is a huge pain in the butt!  Did you tape off the colors or get the frame faded?  Looks top notch, you did a great job!

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

#6 2007-12-26 10:06pm

xtremevert

Hey Wraith, I have no idea what it's worth bro.  Sorry man I don't know much about Redlines.  I would like to restore a RL 20B or RL 20II someday though.  I think that would be pretty cool.  Have you posted a pic yet?  Would like to see it.

#7 2007-12-27 9:17am

chromey
Pro MemberObi-Wan Chromey
Bikes: 17

xtremevert wrote:

So Chromey, where did you you get your decals from?  I got mine overseas.  I know what you mean about the yellowing of the decal (backing paper)?  Only the backing paper was yellow and aged on mine.  It's funny because I became pretty good friends with the seller and he gave me another 3 sets for free!  2 more blue and a red.  I'm not sure if I'll ever use them but I guess they'll be good back ups.  Talk to dd4130 for your sprocket.  If you need a repro he's getting them made up as we speak and will have them done by the end of Jan.  I like the decals on clear vinyl more though because you don't have to match the powder to vinyl color which is a huge pain in the butt!  Did you tape off the colors or get the frame faded?  Looks top notch, you did a great job!

Yeah man, mine came from Malaysia.  they arrived pretty beat up too.. the seller's a good guy though. I'm just knocking the quality of the decals.....  if you look at it in person it reads like "M.... A... STER"  haha... But that's just me being a picky graphic designer.

I do like the feature of the clear decal though... it allowed me to paint my Master in Toothpaste color... haha... or uh.. Mongoose Decade color.  instead of some standard Haro color.

Polanco, yep.. Mine is a 92 Ground Master... the 91 had the peg bosses in the back.

Sad part is... I just put it together - and realized the whole thing is Tweaked... it's hard to tell. but the rear triangle bends out to the left...  which wouldn't be a huge deal except  - my "chain line" is all screwed.. and when I pedal - the chain makes a grinding noise on the sprocket because it's going in at an odd angle.... I was super disappointed...

But I have no one to blame but me.. because I rode the crap out of THIS master all through the 90s.  (I knew i retired it for a reason... DOH!)

I'm gonna see if I can get someone to bend it all back for me.  I got nothing to lose I guess.

and YES YES YES...

I'd love a Repro of the Haro CD Sprocket.!!!!!!!!
Keep me informed if you hear anything.

smile

Last edited by chromey (2007-12-27 9:17am)

— — — — —
"every move is like a lightning..."

#8 2007-12-27 2:49pm

xtremevert

Chromey, that's funny because I got mine out of Malaysia as well.  I'm actually getting AJ to do me a set of Team Sport decals on clear vinyl so I can choose whatever color I want to go with on my next build.  I'm actually going to pick out the decal colors as well to have a totally custom color Sport.  It's going to be sweet!!!  Yeah, and now that you mention it I can see what you're talking about on the spacing.  I can totally see it now.  That is funny!  Have you noticed a lot knock off parts on e-bay coming from Thailand and Malaysia lately?  I got sets of forkstanders that frankly you can't stand on because they won't fold into a 90 degree position on the fork legs.  I made one set work but hand to grind it out to make it happen.  How about the TOP GT and Haro stems?  The Haro stem is ridiculous!  It doesn't even look like a Haro stem.  The GT's are a little closer to the real thing but still not quite there yet.

#9 2007-12-27 3:35pm

wraith81
Museum Addict

na man not as yet just new to this site im not on the ball yet an got heaps to do. im real keen on a set of the haro master  decals do you wanna sell a set or can you hook me up with a contac please would be much appreciated thanx.

----- I NEED -----   

#10 2007-12-27 3:40pm

wraith81
Museum Addict

iv got a couple off haro frames im not sure about ill take few pics and see if anyone can reconise em.

----- I NEED -----   

#11 2007-12-29 10:15am

xtremevert

Yeah, Wraith I'll hook you up with a set of these decals if you want.  Dirt cheap.  PM me if you're still intersted.  Thanks.

#12 2007-12-29 10:17am

xtremevert

Yo Wraith, we all need to see you're frames man!  Post some pics bro!

#13 2008-04-18 9:05pm

xtremevert

I think they came with both, painted and chrome.  smile

#14 2012-01-11 2:34pm

286fsts
Expert
Bikes: 12

cool start! wink

my post's # is low cuz I spend most of my time in the for sale section and all of my posts wind up getting deleted hmm

Board footer